About the Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM
Capture gorgeous images, even in low light
Capture gorgeous images, even in low light
A 35mm prime lens has been a staple in photography kits for decades. It offers a natural perspective, lets in lots of light, and yields sharp, vibrant images. Sony's FE 35mm f/1.4 GM is one of the best 35mm lenses available if you shoot with a Sony E-mount mirrorless camera.
Enjoy sharp photos indoors or out
I like this lens for indoor work like weddings or birthday parties where lighting can be a challenge. It's also a fantastic lens for capturing outdoor environmental portraits and sweeping landscape shots.
The FE 35mm f/1.4 GM is an excellent choice for creative enthusiasts and working professionals alike. Videographers will especially appreciate the quiet autofocus system and compact, lightweight design.
Don't hesitate to open it up
The FE 35mm f/1.4 GM is particularly sharp when it's wide open (meaning the aperture or "f number" is at its widest setting) — an improvement over previous Sony designs that were softer when opened all the way up.
With an ultra-wide f/1.4 maximum aperture, you can capture sharp details of your subject while blurring out your background.
- 35mm wide-angle prime lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 52.5mm effective focal length with APS-C crop-sensor cameras
- ideal for landscape, architectural, and event photography
- f/1.4 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance and an ultra-shallow depth of field
- dual XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors for fast, precise autofocus and tracking
- quiet autofocus for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable focus hold button on lens barrel lets you easily hold focus on your subject
- button can be assigned to perform other focus functions in your camera's menu system
- aperture click switch gives you tactile feedback when shooting stills
- clicking can be switched off for silent aperture adjustments when shooting video
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- Nano AR Coating II reduces ghosting and flare
- lens construction: 14 elements in 10 groups
- two XA (extreme aspherical) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 11-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- minimum focus distance: .89 feet
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and soft case
- filter/attachment size: 67mm
- lens is 3" in diameter and 3-15/16" long
- weight: 18.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL35F14GM
What's in the box:
- FE 35mm F1.4 GM lens
- ALCF67S 67mm front lens cap (installed)
- ALCR1EM rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH164 Lens hood
- Zippered lens case
- Case strap
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty (US and Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 GM
Overview: The Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM wide angle prime lens is ideal for portrait, landscapes, and architecture photography, as well as everyday snapshots. The bright F1.4 maximum aperture is designed to give you clear images in low light situations. The SEL35F14GM lens has an 11-blade circular aperture to provide a smooth bokeh effect (defocused background points of light) for more artistic compositions. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a soft fabric storage pouch.
G Master: Every aspect of Sony G Master (GM) series lenses is refined to fully meet professional requirements in the studio or out in the field. G Master lenses feature unparalleled imaging performance, including outstanding speed, efficiency, and reliability. The lenses are sealed to resist dust and moisture for years of reliabity and performance.
Compatibility: The SEL35F14GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It works best with cameras with a 35mm full frame image sensor, but can work with APS-C sensor equipped cameras, too. On an APS-C camera, it has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 52.5mm.
Lens Construction: This Sony lens design features 14 lens elements in 10 groups, including two XA (eXtreme Aspheric) elements for excellent resolution, and an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element to reduce flare and ghosting. The lens also has Nano AR Coating II to suppress reflections, flare, and ghosting. A Fluorine coating on the front element helps to keep the lens clean by repelling dirt, oils, and fingerprints.
XD Motors: The lens is equipped with two XD (eXtreme Dynamic) Linear motors for fast and precise auto focusing.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch lets you switch from Auto Focusing (AF) to Manual Focusing (MF), or from MF to AF. For AF photography, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF. For MF photography, either the camera or the lens (or both) should be set to MF. To focus manually, rotate the focus ring.
Note: The minimum focus distance is shorter when you are in Manual Focus mode, compared to Auto Focus mode.
Focus Hold: When in Auto Focus mode, pressing and holding the Focus Hold button cancels AF and fixes the focus at the current distance. To restart Auto Focusing, you'll need to release the Focus Hold button and press the shutter button halfway. (Focus Hold does not function with some camera models.)
Aperture Ring: The FE35mm F1.4 GM lens has an F1.4 to F16 aperture range that is adjusted using the aperture ring. When the apeture ring is set to "A", the camera is set to auto iris mode and the exposure is set by the camera. You can manually adjust the amount of light entering the lens by rotating the aperture ring.
Aperture Click Switch: The lens has an aperture ring that gives you tactile feedback when you rotate the ring from one aperture setting to another. These "clicks" can be turned off, if desired, when shooting movies so they won't be picked up by the camera's microphone. The Aperture Click Switch is located on the lens barrel.
Lens Hood: The SEL35F14GM comes with the ALC-SH164 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 1-1/2" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 35mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 52.5mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.4
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Aperture Design: 11-blade circular
- Angle of View: 63° (35mm), 44° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 10.68" (auto focus); 9.84" (manual focus)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.23x (auto focus); 0.25x (manual focus)
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.99", Length 4.006" (4.513" with lens caps)
- Weight: 18.5 ounces