About the Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G
A lightweight design for travel and more
40mm prime lenses are a popular choice for photographers who want a slightly wider perspective than what a 50mm lens provides. Pair Sony's FE 40mm f/2.5 G with an E-mount mirrorless camera for a compact setup you can take virtually anywhere.
This lens is ideal for colorful portraits, sweeping landscapes, indoor birthday parties, and more. Videographers will especially appreciate its lightweight form and smooth, quiet autofocus.
- 40mm standard prime lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 60mm effective focal length with APS-C crop-sensor cameras
- ideal for portraiture, events, landscapes, indoor photography, and more
- f/2.5 maximum aperture for excellent low-light performance and a shallow depth of field
- dual linear motors for fast, precise autofocus and tracking
- quiet autofocus for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable focus hold button on lens barrel lets you easily hold focus on your subject
- button can be assigned to perform other focus functions in your camera's menu system
- aperture click switch gives you tactile feedback when shooting stills
- clicking can be switched off for silent aperture adjustments when shooting video
Design and construction:
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- aluminum finish with engraved focal length and aperture markings
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes lens hood and front and rear lens caps
- lens construction: 9 elements in 9 groups
- minimum focus distance: .92 feet
- filter/attachment size: 49mm
Dimensions and warranty:
- lens is 2-3/4" in diameter and 1-7/8" long
- weight: 6.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL40F25G
What's in the box:
- FE 40mm F2.5G lens
- 49mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH166 Lens hood (installed)
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions before using
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 40mm f/2.5 G
Overview: The Sony FE 40mm F2.5 G (SEL40F25G) G-series standard prime lens is compatible with the Sony α interchangeable lens cameras with the E-mount. The lens is recommended for use with full-frame cameras, but can be used on cameras with APS-C image sensors. (The lens has a 60mm equivalent focal length when used on APS-C cameras.) The SEL40F25G lens is ideal for both still and video creators. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps.
Lens Construction: The 40mm lens features 9 lens elements in 9 groups, including three aspherical lens elements for sharp detail from corner-to-corner. The state-of-the-art optical design makes this an ultra-compact and lightweight lens that's easy to transport. It is dust and moisture resistant, making it appropriate for outdoor use.
Aperture: The 7-blade circular aperture helps to create images with beautiful bokeh, making the subject stand out while the background is out of focus. The f/2.5 maximum aperture lets in lots of light so you can shoot at high shutter speeds in low light.
Linear Motors: The SEL40F25G is equipped with two linear motors to deliver fast and precise autofocus with excellent tracking performance.
Click Control: A 2-way switch on the lens barrel controls the click response when turning the aperture ring. When shooting movies, you can turn off the click sounds so it won't be picked up with the camera's microphone. For photographers that like the tactile feedback, the click sounds can be turned on.
Focusing: The SEL40F25G features a 2-way focusing switch (AF-MF) lets you switch from auto to manual focusing. In addition, the Linear Response MF (manual focus) ensures that the focus ring responds directly and linearly when focusing manually.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the ALC-SH166 cap-type lens hood that blocks unwanted light from the edges preventing lens flare, and protects the front element from the elements and accidental contact. The lens hood, when attached, adds approximately 1/2" to the overall length of the lens. Unlike many lens hoods, it cannot be reverse mounted to the lens when not in use.
|Lens||FE 40mm F2.5 G|
|Focal Length (35mm)||40mm|
|Lens Construction||9 elements in 9 groups|
|Maximum Magnification||0.2x (AF) |
|Angle of View||57° (35mm) |
|Minimum Focus|| |
|Aperture Range||f/2.5 maximum |
|Aperture Type||7-blade circular|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 2.678" |
(2.998" w/hood and lens caps)