About the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM
Capture stunning images in low light
Capture stunning images in low light
A high-performance 50mm lens is useful for nearly all types of photography. Sony's FE 50mm f/1.2 GM is one of the best 50mm lenses available if you shoot with a Sony E-mount mirrorless camera. It offers a natural perspective, lets in lots of light, and yields sharp, vibrant images.
Get crisp, colorful photos indoors or out
The FE 50mm f/1.2 GM is an excellent choice for creative enthusiasts and working professionals alike. Videographers will especially appreciate the quiet autofocus system and compact, lightweight design.
This lens is ideal for colorful portraits, sweeping landscapes, indoor birthday parties, and more.
Don't hesitate to open it up
The FE 50mm f/1.2 GM is particularly sharp when shot wide open (meaning the aperture or "f number" is set to its lowest number). With an ultra-wide f/1.2 maximum aperture, you can capture ultra-crisp details of your subject while blurring out the background.
- 50mm standard prime lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 75mm effective focal length with APS-C crop-sensor cameras
- ideal for portraiture, events, landscapes, indoor photography, and more
- f/1.2 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance and an ultra-shallow depth of field
- four XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors for fast, precise autofocus and tracking
- quiet autofocus for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable focus hold button on lens barrel lets you easily hold focus on your subject
- button can be assigned to perform other focus functions in your camera's menu system
- aperture click switch gives you tactile feedback when shooting stills
- clicking can be switched off for silent aperture adjustments when shooting video
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- Nano AR Coating II reduces ghosting and flare
- lens construction: 14 elements in 10 groups
- three XA (Extreme Aspherical) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 11-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- minimum focus distance: 1.32 feet
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and soft case
- filter/attachment size: 72mm
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter and 4-7/16" long
- weight: 27.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL50F12GM
What's in the box:
- FE50mm F1.2 GM lens
- 72mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH163 Lens hood
- Soft lens case
- Lens case strap
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions before using
- Limited Warranty (US and Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM
Overview: The Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM (SEL50F12GM) G Master standard prime lens is compatible with the Sony α interchangeable lens cameras with the E-mount. The lens is recommended for use with full-frame cameras, but can be used on cameras with APS-C image sensors. (The lens has a 75mm equivalent focal length when used on APS-C cameras.) The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, and the ALC-SH163 lens hood.
Lens Construction: The 50mm lens features 14 lens elements in 10 groups, including 3 Extreme Aspheric (XA) elements for stunning resolution. The XA elements compensate for coma, field curvature, and astigmatism, which can present problems with large-aperture optics. The elements enable closer focusing distance, and make the lens more compact and lightweight. Sony's advanced Nano AR (anti-reflective) Coating II helps suppress internal reflections in lenses with large, highly curved lens element surfaces. The coating maintains high clarity and contrast throughout the entire image. The front lens element features a fluorine coating that repels water, oil, and other contaminants, which makes it easier to wipe off fingerprints and other smudges that get on the lens surface.
Aperture: The 11-blade circular aperture helps to create images with beautiful bokeh, making the subject stand out while the background is out of focus. The fast f/1.2 maximum aperture lets in lots of light so you can shoot at high shutter speeds in low light.
XD Linear Motors: The SEL50F12GM is equipped with a precision internal focus mechanism consisting of two focus groups and four XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors for fast and precise autofocus.
Click Control: A 2-way switch on the lens barrel controls the click response when turning the aperture ring. When shooting movies, you can turn off the click sounds so it won't be picked up with the camera's microphone. For photographers that like the tactile feedback, the click sounds can be turned on.
Focusing: The SEL50F12GM features a 2-way focusing switch (AF-MF) lets you switch from auto to manual focusing. In addition, the Linear Response MF (manual focus) ensures that the focus ring responds directly and linearly when focusing manually.
Focus Hold: The lens features two customizable multi-function focus hold buttons. Whether you're shooting in portrait or landscape orientation, the focus hold buttons are in the exactly same place. In addition to focus hold, you can assign functions to the buttons, including Eye AF, AF on, Aperture Review, Shot Result Preview, or Bright Monitoring.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the bayonet-type ALC-SH163 lens hood to prevent stray light from entering the lens causing lens flare. When installed, the lens hood adds about 1-3/4" to the overall length of the lens. When shooting with external flash, you should remove the lens hood to prevent shadows at the bottom of the picture.
|Lens||FE 50mm F1.2 GM|
|Focal Length (35mm)||50mm|
|Lens Construction||14 elements in 10 groups|
|Angle of View||47° (35mm) |
|Minimum Focus||15.84" (1.32')|
|Aperture Range||f/1.2 maximum |
|Aperture Type||11-blade circular|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 3.431" |
(5.004" w/lens caps)