About the Sony Alpha FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
Ultimate control, accurate results
Ultimate control, accurate results
Wildlife and sports photographers will appreciate the exceptional optics and performance of this Sony G Master 70-200mm telephoto lens. A special anti-reflective coating and nine specialized lens elements reduce distortion and aberrations for outstanding high-resolution images, while an 11-blade circular aperture gives you a smoothly defocused background when shooting wide open.
Great photos anywhere, anytime, rain or shine
Perfect for outdoor photography in any season, the lens's dust- and moisture-resistant construction means that if the weather takes a turn, you won't have to pack it in until you're ready. Its focal range and large f/2.8 maximum aperture let you play up your subject by compressing and blurring the background, making it an excellent choice for portraits and close-ups. The maximum aperture remains constant across the entire zoom range, so you'll get consistently well-exposed photos without having to change your exposure values as you adjust focal length.
Stay focused on important details
Sony's quiet dual linear motors ensure fast, precise focus for smooth video rendering and responsiveness during continuous still shooting. Range limiter controls let you restrict the focal range, preventing accidental focus on foreground elements and minimizing time spent "hunting" for focus so you won't miss your shot. Once you've acquired your target, the focus hold button lets you lock the focus where you want it.
Keep it steady
Sony's optical image stabilization works in two ways to give you crisp photos and smooth videos in all kinds of different scenes and lighting conditions. Option one ensures sharp handheld images and longer focal lengths, slower shutter speeds, or in low light. Option two is a panning mode switch that compensates for subjects moving horizontally across the image plane.
- 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 70-200mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 105-300mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- f/2.8 maximum aperture stays constant throughout the zoom range
- Nano AR coating minimizes ghosting and flare
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization for crisp handheld images
- dust- and moisture-resistant
- 3 aspherical elements, including 1 newly developed XA (extreme aspherical) element, plus 4 ED (extra-low dispersion) and 2 Super ED elements for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- focus hold button for added control
- ring SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) actuator and double linear motor actuator work together for rapid, precise focusing
- minimum focus distance: 3.15'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 23 elements in 18 groups
- 11 rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter and 7-7/8" long
- weight: 52.21 oz.
- lens hood, front and rear lens caps, tripod mount, soft storage pouch
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL70200GM
What's in the box:
- FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS zoom lens
- 77mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Tripod collar (installed)
- ALC-SH145 Lens hood
- Zippered lens case
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- Notes on Use
- Limited Warranty (US and Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony Alpha FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Alpha FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
Overview: The Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS (SEL70200GM) is a G Master series telephoto zoom lens, designed for full frame (35mm) cameras. The lens covers the full 70-200mm focal range at a constant F2.8 maximum aperture. The SEL70200GM has an 11-blade circular aperture to provide a smooth defocusing effect for more artistic compositions. It features an internal focusing mechanism in which only the internal elements move as you zoom in and out without changing the external length of the lens. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, a removable tripod collar, lens hood, and a zippered storage case.
Compatibility: The SEL70200GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors, but can be used on APS-C sensor equipped cameras in crop mode.
Sony G Master: Sony's G Master series of lenses represents a new level of lens technology. The new XA (extreme aspherical) element features unprecedented surface precision down to 0.1 micron to help achieve greater expression through higher resolutions and stunning bokeh. In addition, the first 11-blade circular aperture in a Sony α lens for soft-edged defocused elements. G Master lenses are also known for fast accurate autofocusing powered by a Ring-drive SSM (super sonic wave motor). Each G Master lens features Sony's Nano AR Coating technology to minimize flare and ghosting.
Lens Construction: The lens features 23 lens elements in 18 groups. This includes 2 aspherical elements, one Extreme aspherical lens (XA lens), four ED (Extra-low Dispersion) and two Super ED glass elements.
Focus Controls: The SEL70200GM lens is equipped with several focus controls on the barrel of the lens:
- Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between AF (autofocus) and MF (manual focus) on the lens. For AF photography, both the camera and lens should be set to AF. For MF photography, either or both the camera or lens should be set to MF. In MF mode, rotate the focusing ring to adjust the focus while looking through the viewfinder.
- Focus Range Switch: The Focus Range Limiter switch (AF/MF range) reduces the time it takes to focus by limiting the distance the lens can focus. With the switch at Full, the lens can focus from the minimum focusing distance to infinity. In the Infinity-3m position, the lens can only focus from 9.8 feet (3 meters) to infinity.
- Focus Hold Buttons: The lens is equipped with three focus hold buttons positioned around the barrel. When one of the buttons is pressed and held, the AF function is canceled and the current focus is fixed, allowing you to release the shutter. To start Autofocusing again, release the focus hold button and press the shutter button halfway.
Note: Some focus controls do not work with some cameras.
Optical SteadyShot (OSS): Sony's Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization gives you stable, blur-free images, even at slower shutter speeds or when you're zoomed in all the way. At high zooms, even the slightest hand movement can cause blurring and distortion. The lens has an OSS switch to turn the feature on/off, and a Shake Compensation Mode Switch that lets you switch between Mode 1 (for normal camera shake) and Mode 2 (for camera shake when panning moving subjects). When using a tripod, it is recommend that you turn off OSS.
Lens Hood: The SEL24240 comes with the petal-shaped ALC-SH145 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood has a polarizing filter window that can be opened to rotate the filter control without having to remove the hood. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens. The lens hood adds approximately 3" to the overall length of the lens.
Tripod Collar: The included tripod collar lets you mount the camera and lens to a tripod. Using the tripod collar instead of the camera's tripod receptacle creates a much more balanced and secure mount. In addition, you can loosen the ring on the tripod collar to rotate the camera between vertical to horizontal positions without detaching the camera. Gray dots (tripod collar ring indexes) located at 90-degree intervals on the collar ring help you adjust the camera vertical and horizontal positions more precisely. The tripod collar can be detached from the lens when not using a tripod, if desired.
- Focal Length: 70-200mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 105-300mm
- Lens Construction: 23 elements in 18 groups (including four ED and two Super ED glass elements)
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Aperture: 11-blade circular
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8 (W-T)
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (W-T)
- Angle of View: 34°-12°30' (35mm), 23°-8° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.15 feet (37.8")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.25x
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.478", Length 8.087" (8.604" with lens caps)
- Weight: 52.3 ounces