About the Sony SEL85F14GM FE 85mm f/1.4 GM
The Sony SEL85F14GM lens renders your subject sharply with smooth background defocusing.
Outstanding photos in any light
This 85mm f/1.4 prime lens from Sony is great for close-ups, expressive portraits, candids, and detail shots. The 85mm focal length is perfect for taking natural-looking portraits at a relaxed distance from your subject. With its large maximum aperture, this lens excels indoors and in low light. A newly designed XA (extreme aspherical) element gives this lens extra-precise detail rendering, while an 11-blade circular aperture (Sony's first ever) provides smooth, gradual background defocusing. These innovations from Sony combine to add dimensionality and texture to your photos, giving you the power to take your portraits to the next level.
- 85mm f/1.4 medium telephoto prime lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 85mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 127.5mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 2.79' in AF mode, 2.62' in MF mode
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 11 elements in 8 groups
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- newly developed XA (extreme aspherical) element works with three ED (extra-high dispersion) elements for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- first Sony E-mount lens with 11 diaphragm blades for smooth background defocusing
- 2 position sensors enhance the accuracy of SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) drive system for enhanced autofocus performance
- Nano AR coating reduces ghosting and flare
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- focus hold button for added control
- hood lock mechanism prevents accidental hood detachment while hood release mechanism makes hood removal easier
- attachment/filter size: 77mm
- lens is 3-9/16" in diameter, 4-1/4" long
- weight: 28.9 oz.
- front and rear lens caps
- lens hood
- carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL85F14GM
What's in the box:
- FE85mm F1.4 GM lens (SEL85F14GM)
- 77mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH142 Lens hood
- Zippered lens case
- Adjustable strap for lens case
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- For customers using an a Series Interchangeable Lens Camera
- Limited Warranty
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony SEL85F14GM FE 85mm f/1.4 GM reviews
Hi everyone, Let me start by saying that I am a product photographer both studio and lifestyle. This week I received a new 85mm GM lens which I ordered to dedicate to my lifestyle shots. After a test photoshoot utilizing both 24-70 GM and the 85 GM lenses on my A7R3, what I started to notice in post was that the sharpness of these 2 lenses were nearly indistibuishable from one another. When I arrived home, I brought both lenses into my home studio to do some real testing. Ive never been a pixel peeper, but this time I just kind of fell into it. I set up the tripod, set my lights and began to do a comparison. 1. Bokeh goes to the 85mm (but not by as much as people brag about) 2. ease of use goes to the 24-70 3. Sharpness was a tie at every focal length except 70mm, Easy fix in Capture 1 4. 1.4 vs 2.8 goes to the 85mm 5. Contrast goes to the 24-70 ( you buy this lens to shoot wide open and the 24-70 has more contrast) 6. Color - tie (skin tones were nearly identical) 7. Focus goes to the 24-70, the 85 is slower and louder focusing, but it hunts a bit in lower light, also the noise it makes when shutting down the camera is unnerving. Verdict Im sending the 85mm back, Very nice lens but my 24-70 is just as nice and much more versatile. In conclusion, I think if you already have the 24-70, don't bother spending another 1800.00 for a lens that doesn't do much more than what you
0 of 0 found this helpful
EXCELLENT lense. Awesome bokeh, accurate focus, magnificent color rendering, Very sharp... it's a lense every portrait photographer dream and wish for. Well constructed product.
Pros: Extremely sharp, fantastic bokeh, magnificent color rendering.
Cons: Very well constructed. But, plastic. It's price is high. And, Regards it's weight, it's a kind of heavy. Other wise, IT'S AMASING !!! ??
0 of 0 found this helpful
Pro: Sharp wide open. THE best bokeh. Focus lock. Aperture ring great for video. Excellent build quality. Fast focus. Con: Expensive, a bit of too heavy. Regarding the focus noise others have been complaining about: It is not loud at all but audible from close distance. I guess it can be recorded while shooting video in a very quiet environment using the build in mic, but with a shotgun or any off cam mic, I don't see its a problem.
2 of 2 found this helpful
More details on the Sony SEL85F14GM FE 85mm f/1.4 GM
Overview: The Sony FE85mm F1.4 G Master lens is a full frame (35mm) telephoto prime lens that is ideal for portrait photography. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL85F14GM has an 11-blade circular aperture, the first ever implemented in an α-series lens, to give you the smoothest bokeh (blurred background elements) possible. The FE85mm lens comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a zippered storage case with an adjustable strap.
Compatibility: The SEL85F14GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors:
- Compatible Full Frame Cameras: The lens is fully compatible with the α7S II (ILCE-7SM2). It will work (with some restrictions) with the α7S (ILCE-7S), α7R II (ILCE-7RM2), α7R (ILCE-7R), α7 II (ILCE-7M2), and α7 (ILCE-7).
- Other E-mount Cameras: The lens will fit these E-mount cameras, but because they are not full frame cameras, the image will be cropped: α5100, α6000, α6300, NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, and NEX-F3.
50 Line Pairs/mm: Sony G Master lenses are manufactured to achieve a spatial frequency of 50 line pairs per millimeter at the lens' widest aperture.
Lens Elements: The SEL85F14GM has 11 lens elements in 8 groups, including three aspherical elements. A new XA (extreme aspherical) element has a surface precision that is better than 0.01-microns, and reduces aberration and delivers superior resolution throughout the entire aperture range.
Precision Focus: When working with high-resolution images and narrow depth of field, precision focus is a must. The lens' Super Sonic-wave Motor (SSM) has enough power to quickly and accurately position the large focusing elements inside the lens. The built-in multi-sensor system utilizes high-speed data processing to provide instant feedback for quick and precise auto focusing.
Lens Hood: The SEL85F14GM comes with the ALC-SH142 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. The lens hood adds approximately 1-3/4" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 85mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 127.5mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: F1.4
- Minimum Aperture: F16
- Angle of View: 29° (35mm), 19° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: Auto Focus: 2.79', Manual Focus: 2.63'
- Maximum Magnification: 0.12x
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.5", Length 4.417" (4.935" with lens caps)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?