About the Sony Alpha SEL90M28G 90mm f/2.8 G OSS
Close in on the winning shot
The Sony SEL90M28G 90mm f/2.8 G OSS macro lens lets you capture images with outstanding clarity and detail.
Close in on the winning shot
Attach this 90mm f/2.8 macro lens to your full-frame or APS-C Sony E-mount camera and prepare to capture crisp, intricately detailed images whether you're going for extreme close-ups of tiny insects or intimate people portraits. Its medium telephoto length makes it perfect for macro shots of subjects that can't be approached too closely, and you can also use it to get close to larger subjects at a distance. With a maximum aperture of f/2.8, you can capitalize on available light for close-up work and capture gorgeous portraits that play up your subject against a dreamy blurred background. The extra bit of background compression resulting from the lens's 90mm length will really make your portraits pop.
Stay focused on important details
Sony's quiet DDSSM (Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor) system ensures fast, precise focus for smooth video rendering and responsiveness during continuous still shooting. The lens's floating focus mechanism helps you achieve sharp focus, suppressing aberration at all focusing distances. Range limiter controls let you restrict the focal range for near or far focusing, preventing accidental focus on foreground elements and minimizing time spent "hunting" for focus so you won't miss your shot. Once you've acquired your target, the focus hold button lets you lock the focus where you want it. And the sliding focus ring on the lens barrel lets you toggle effortlessly between manual and auto modes so you can dial in focus without moving your eye from the viewfinder.
Steady shooting in any kind of weather
Gyro sensors built into the lens pick up on the slightest movements, and Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization kicks in to counteract image blur. This makes sharp, handheld macro images at up to 1:1 magnification a real possibility and lets you use slower shutter speeds to capture low-light images. It also reduces camera shake when shooting video. The lens's dust- and moisture-resistant construction makes it great for outdoor shooting in any conditions, so there's no limit to how far you can go to get amazing captures of the tiniest subjects even in wet or dusty environments.
- lens type: E-mount full frame (FE)
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 90mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 135mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- floating focus mechanism ensures consistent optical performance at all focusing distances
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- focus hold button for added control
- Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- built-in Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization allows in-focus shots with slower shutter speeds
- Nano AR coating effectively suppresses reflections
- dust- and moisture-resistant design
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural background defocusing
- maximum magnification ratio: 1:1
- minimum focus distance: 11-1/16"
- minimum working distance: approximately 5-1/4"
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups
- one aspherical lens element, one extra-low dispersion glass element, and one super extra-low dispersion glass element for high contrast images with minimal chromatic aberration and color bleeding
- filter/attachment size: 62mm
- lens is 3-1/8" in diameter, 5-3/8" long
- weight: 21.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- MFR # SEL90M28G
What's in the box:
- 90mm F2.8 Macro lens (E-mount)
- 62mm Lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH138 Lens hood
- Storage pouch
- Operating Instructions (3 copies-multiple languages)
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty
- European Guarantee Info Document
- Info for customers using Alpha series camera
Sony Alpha SEL90M28G 90mm f/2.8 G OSS reviews
I'm a full time professional wedding photographer based in Monterey, CA. After 20 plus years of being a Canon shooter, I recently switched platforms and I'm now a Sony shooter. This particular Sony lens is sharp. Very sharp. I previously used the Canon 100 f2.8L macro and I was hoping this lens would compete. It not only competes, it beats it.
Pros: SHARP, very nice bokeh
1 of 1 found this helpful
I'm a complete amateur, so still learning the ins and outs of this lens, but so far, it seems excellent. There's a real depth to the pictures that I've taken with it so far.
0 of 0 found this helpful
So far after using it in both auto and manual focus mode, the pictures are coming out amazing with Sony camera.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Amazingly sharp with smooth bokeh. The push pull manual focus is great.
Pros: Push/pull focus ring Sharp focus Smooth bokeh
0 of 0 found this helpful
This lens is amazing. The build quality and the feel of the lens is great. The sharpness of the lens is on point especially when attached to any of the Sony a7 models. It is definitely worth the price.
Pros: The build quality, sharpness, built in steady shot switch, and auto/manual focus push/pull switch.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is it can be a little heavy for a mirrorless lens which can off balance the Sony a7ii in some people's hands but its excepted for a 90mm f/2.8 with that build quality. The weight itself didn't bother me and it just felt sturdy in my hands.
2 of 2 found this helpful
More details on the Sony Alpha SEL90M28G 90mm f/2.8 G OSS
Overview: The Sony SEL90M28G (FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS) is a high-quality, α (alpha) series, medium telephoto macro lens. This Sony G lens offers superior in-focus image quality, as well as beautiful bokeh (defocused background areas). The lens has a large aperture (F2.8) for capturing brilliant high-resolution images in low-light conditions.
Compatibility: The SEL90M28G lens is equipped with a Sony E-mount, and is designed for use with Sony α (alpha) E-mount full-frame cameras. It can also be used on E-mount APS-C cameras, but with a 1.5x conversion factor (The equivalent focal length of the lens is 135mm when used on a Sony Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with an APS-C sized image sensor.)
Auto/Manual Focus: You can switch between AF (auto focus) and MF (manual focus) on the lens. To shoot in AF mode, you will need to set the focus mode to AF on both the camera and the lens. To shoot in MF mode, you can set either the lens or the camera to MF. The focus ring has an X and Y position, with the entire focus ring moving up and down the lens. With the focus ring in the X position (pushed outward toward the end), the lens is set to the AF position. To set the focus to Manual, you will need to move the ring back toward the camera body, and rotate the ring to bring the subject into focus. For Direct Manual Focus (DMF), the focus ring can be rotated to make fine adjustments after the camera has auto-focused.
DDSSM: The SEL90M28G features dual Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor drive systems for quiet, highly accurate focus lens control. The motor drive helps precisely position the heavy focus element groups required for full frame macro photography.
Internal Focusing: The lens features internal focusing, which allows the lens to maintain a constant length during focusing. The compact floating focusing mechanism gives you superior optical performance and image-wide clarity from one end of the focus range to the other.
Focus Range Limiter: The Focus Range Limiter, located on the barrel of the lens, enables you to auto focus faster by reducing the full range of the lens. There are three positions:
- Full: The Auto Focus range runs from the minimum focusing distance to infinity.
- ∞ - 0.5m: AF is let to 0.5m (1.64') to infinity
- 0.5m - 0.28m: AF changes from 0.5m (1.64') to the minimum focus length
Focus Hold Button: Pressing the Focus Hold button turns off the Auto Focus and "fix" the focus at its present position. You can release the shutter on the fixed focus. Releasing the Focus Hold button while pressing the shutter button halfway starts the AF again.
Optical Steady Shot (OSS): The SEL90M28G is the first α-series macro lens to feature Sony's Optical Steady Shot image stabilization system. This allows you to shoot sharp, hand-held macro images. You can turn OSS on or off via a dedicated slide switch on the barrel of the lens.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the SLC-SH138 lens hood to reduce flare and ensure maximum image quality. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 1-1/8" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and stored on the lens backwards.
- Focal Length: 90mm
- Equivalent 35mm-format focal length: 135mm
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 11 groups (including aspherical elements, ED-glass and Super ED-glass elements)
- Angle of View: 27° (full frame cameras); 17° (cameras with APS-C sensor)
- Minimum Focus: 11.04"
- Maximum Magnification: 1.0x
- Maximum f-stop: f/2.8
- Minimum f-stop: f/22
- Aperture Design: 9-blades, rounded
- Filter Diameter: 62mm
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.102, Length=5.36" (5.842" w/caps)
- Weight: 21.3 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?