About the Sony ECM-B10
Capture high-quality audio with your Sony camera
Capture high-quality audio with your Sony camera
The ECM-B10 makes it easy to capture pro-quality audio with your compatible Sony camera (sold separately).
The ECM-B10 lets you record pro-quality audio with your compatible Sony camera. It uses advanced beamforming technology to optimize its three switchable polar patterns, including its super-directional mode that helps you zero in on a source in front of you. Your camera's Multi Interface Shoe provides power and passes audio signals directly to your camera.
For Sony cameras that have a built-in digital audio interface — like the a7R IV — the audio signal transfers directly to the camera in digital form, so you can get pristine sound with near-zero degradation. You can also switch it to analog mode to work with a wider range of cameras.
Virtually noise-free recording
This mic's physical design suppresses low-frequency noise from shock and vibration. A switchable filter also cuts out noise or super-low frequencies that can muddy your recording. Plus, it comes with a furry windscreen for cutting noise when you're recording outside.
It mounts to your camera's shoe, which eliminates noise transmitted through cables or connectors. That helps you get great sound at the recording stage and keeps your post-processing to a minimum.
- compact microphone for select Sony cameras with a Multi Interface Shoe
- direct transfer of digital audio with no degradation to Sony cameras with a built-in digital interface, like the a7R IV
- selectable analog output provides compatibility with other Sony cameras equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe
- digital processing uses beamforming algorithm for effective noise reduction
- three selectable pickup patterns:
- super-directional: picks up directly in front with a narrow beam, ideal for interview or selfie
- unidirectional: picks up directly in front with a wider beam, ideal for multiple voices/sounds sources
- omnidirectional: picks up sound from front, back, and sides, ideal for "room tone"
- noise-cut/low-cut filter switch
- auto/manual input level-control switch
- 0dB, 10dB, 20dB attenuation switch
- included screen reduces wind noise
- no batteries required
- protective case included
- 1-1/8"W x 3-5/16"H x 3-1/16"D
- weight: 2.55 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ECMB10
What's in the box:
- Shotgun microphone with Multi-Interface Shoe
- Plastic shoe cover (installed)
- Fur-type windscreen
- Storage pouch
- Reference Guide
- Startup Guide
- Warranty (US + Canada)
- License Issues sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony ECM-B10
Overview: The Sony ECM-B10 Digital Shotgun Microphone is a compact microphone that greatly enhances the audio of your videos. It is designed to mount to the Multi Interface Shoe found on many Sony Interchangeable Lens Cameras. Controls on the back of the microphone let you choose the audio level, pickup pattern, filters, and other functions. The ECM-B10 comes with a "furry" wind screen and a handy storage pouch.
Design: The ECM-B10 is equipped with four high-performance microphones aligned along the top of the unit. These mics work with a beamforming algorithm to provide exceptional directivity while rejecting off-axis sounds. The microphone's advanced design minimizes shock and vibration noise that occurs from simply handling the camera. In addition, the lack of connecting cables means there is no transfer noise being picked up by the microphone. The microphone is dust and moisture-resistant, so you can shoot outdoors without worry.
Multi Interface Shoe: The microphone clips to the Multi Interface Shoe on compatible cameras where it makes direct power and audio connections. The microphone can communicate digitally with cameras equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe, providing an audio signal without degradation. The microphone can be switched to an analog signal when used with a camera with an analog interface.
Directivity Switch: The ECM-B10 lets you choose between three pickup patterns for the microphone. Using advanced digital signal processing, the microphone is able to produce three different directivity patterns:
- Super-directional: This mode provides a highly directional pattern to pick up sounds coming from the front, while minimizing sounds coming from the sides and back. This mode is ideal for selfies and interviews.
- Uni-directional: This mode picks up sounds from a wide area in front of the camera, while rejecting sounds coming from the back, making it optimal for multi-person conversations.
- Omni-directional: This mode picks up sounds coming from every direction, including from the sides and back. Use this selection to record ambient sounds, or include the voices from in front of or behind the camera.
Attenuation: To prevent overloading the microphone, the ECM-B10 offers an Attenuation (ATT) switch. If you're recording loud sounds, you can minimize distortion by setting the switch to 20dB. For recording quiet sounds, you should select 0dB. For normal sounds, the 10dB switch should be selected. You should monitor the volume level meter on the camera or the audio recording volume using headphones for best results.
Auto/Man Switch: The ECM-B10 Shotgun Microphone lets you set the level manually or automatically using the Auto/Man switch. If Manual is selected, you can adjust the audio level using the dial next to the Auto/Man switch.
Filter Switch: The microphone offers two filters to reduce unwanted noise and to maximize audio quality. The Low Cut Filter (LC Filter) cuts out wind noise and other subsonic sounds that muddy the audio. The Noise Cut Filter (NC Filter) uses digital signal processing to effectively reduce unpleasant noises. For no filtering, you can select Off.
- Type: Back electret condenser microphone
- Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz
- Pickup Pattern: Super-directional, Uni-directional, Omni-directional (selectable)
- Front Sensitivity: -20 dBFS (0.1 Pa, 1kHz)
- Wind Noise: 50dB SPL or less (without wind screen); 30dB SPL or less (with wind screen)
- Intrinsic Noise: 15dB SPL or less
- Maximum Input Sound Pressure Level: 120 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range: 105dB or more
- Operating Temperature Range: +32° F to +104° F
- Storage Temperature Range: -4° F to +131° F
- Dimensions: Width 1.086", Height 3.26", Depth 3.006"
- Weight: 2.55 ounces