About the Sony ECM-B1M
Capture high-quality audio with your Sony camera
Capture high-quality audio with your Sony camera
The ECM-B1M lets you record pro-quality audio with your compatible Sony camera. Your camera's Multi Interface Shoe provides power and passes audio signals directly to your camera.
For Sony cameras featuring a built-in digital audio interface, like the a7R IV, the audio signal is directly transferred to the camera in digital form, for the highest-quality sound with no degradation. This mic also has a switch that allows it to work with a range of cameras using an analog interface.
Virtually noise-free recording
This mic's advanced shock and vibration suppressing design minimizes low-frequency noise that can degrade audio quality. A Low-cut filter cuts out subsonic noise for the best audio quality at the recording stage and minimal post-processing. And a cable-free connection means you won't get noise transmitted through cables or connectors.
- compact microphone for select Sony cameras with a Multi Interface Shoe
- direct transfer of digital audio with no degradation for Sony cameras with a built-in digital interface, like the a7R IV
- selectable analog output provides compatibility with other Sony cameras equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe
- offers comprehensive manual control for optimal sound capture
- pickup pattern: super-directional, unidirectional, or omnidirectional (selectable)
- eight high-performance microphone units work with a newly developed beamforming algorithm for effective rejection of off-axis sound
- included screen reduces wind noise
- no batteries required
- protective case included
- weight: 2.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ECMB1M
What's in the box:
- Shotgun microphone for Sony digital cameras
- Connector cover (installed)
- Wind screen
- Storage pouch
- Reference Guide
- Startup Guide
- License Issues sheet
- Warranty sheet
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony ECM-B1M reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony ECM-B1M
Overview: The Sony ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone is a compact microphone that greatly enhances the audio of your videos. It is designed to mount to the Multi Interface Shoe found on many Sony Interchangeable Lens Cameras and camcorders. Controls on the back of the microphone let you select one of three directivity modes. The ECM-B1M comes with a "furry" wind screen and a handy storage pouch.
Design: The ECM-B1M is equipped with eight high-performance microphones aligned along the top of the unit. These mics work with a newly developed beamforming algorithm to provide exceptional directivity while rejecting off-axis sounds. The microphone's advanced design minimizes shock and vibration noise that occurs from simply handling the camera. In addition, the lack of connecting cables means there is no transfer noise being picked up by the microphone.
Multi Interface Shoe: The microphone clips to Multi Interface Shoe on compatible cameras where it makes direct power and audio connections. The microphone can communicate digitally with cameras equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe, providing an audio signal without degradation. The microphone can be switched to an analog signal when used with a camera with an analog interface.
Directivity Switch: The ECM-B1M lets you choose between three pickup patterns for the microphone. Using advanced digital signal processing, the microphone is able to produce three different directivity patterns:
- Super-directional: This mode provides a highly directional pattern to pick up sounds coming from the front, while minimizing sounds coming from the sides and back.
- Uni-directional: This mode picks up sounds from the front, while rejecting sounds coming from the back.
- Omni-directional: This mode picks up sounds coming from every direction, including from the sides and back. Use this selection to record ambient sounds, or include the voice of the photographer.
Attenuation: To prevent overloading the microphone, the ECM-B1M offers an Attenuation (ATT) switch. If you're recording loud sounds, you can minimize distortion by setting the switch to 20dB. For recording quiet sounds, you should select 0dB. For normal sounds, the 10dB switch should be selected. You should monitor the volume level meter on the camera or the audio recording volume using headphones for best results.
Auto/Man Switch: The ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone lets you set the level manually or automatically using the Auto/Man switch. If Manual is selected, you can adjust the audio level using the dial next to the Auto/Man switch.
Filter Switch: The microphone offers two filters to reduce unwanted noise and to maximize audio quality. The Low Cut Filter (LC Filter) cuts out wind noise and other subsonic sounds that muddy the audio. The Noise Cut Filter (NC Filter) uses digital signal processing to effectively reduce unpleasant noises.
- Type: Back electret condenser microphone
- Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz
- Pickup Pattern: Super-directional, Uni-directional, Omni-directional (selectable)
- Front Sensitivity: -20 dBFS (0.1 Pa, 1kHz)
- Wind Noise: 50dB SPL or less (without wind screen); 30dB SPL or less (with wind screen)
- Maximum Input Sound Pressure Level: 120 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range: 106dB or more
- Dimensions: Width 1.085", Height 3.312", Depth 4.0"
- Weight: 2.8 ounces