About the Sony SEL1635Z FE 16-35mm f/4
Widen your perspective
Widen your perspective
A fine complement to Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, this high-performance 16-35mm wide-angle zoom lens is perfect for expansive landscapes and architecture shots on the ultra-wide end, and capable of rendering exquisite portraits or intimate street scenes on the longer end. With a minimum focus distance of eleven inches, you can also use it at its widest setting for beautiful close-ups with spacious backgrounds that recede into infinity.
Great photos indoors or out
While this lens's generous f/4 maximum aperture makes it well-suited for indoor shooting, particularly in cramped quarters, its rugged construction lends itself nicely to outdoor photography in just about any conditions. If you're out shooting on the beach and the wind starts kicking up sand, you won't have to worry — the dust- and moisture-resistant design means you can keep shooting even when the weather gets dicey.
All roads lead to sharpness and clarity
A constant f/4 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range ensures your images will be consistently well-exposed by allowing you to change focal lengths without having to adjust your exposure settings once you've gotten them dialed in. Optical image stabilization reduces image blur when you're shooting handheld in low light. Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating minimizes lens flare and ghosting and improves contrast and clarity. Five specialized lens elements combine to give you high-resolution images with accurate color rendering and minimal distortion, while the 7-blade circular aperture gives you natural-looking defocused background highlights, drawing all the attention to your subject.
- lens type: E-mount full frame (FE)
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 16-35mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 24-52.5mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- constant f/4 maximum aperture for consistent low-light performance throughout zoom range
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization for crisp handheld images
- Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating for effective reduction of lens flare and ghosting
- dust- and moisture-resistant
- 5 aspherical lens elements, including 1 advanced aspherical and 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) elements for better sharpness and contrast
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- minimum focus distance: 11"
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 12 elements in 10 groups
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- filter/attachment size: 72mm
- lens is 3-1/8" in diameter and 3-15/16" long
- weight: 18.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood, front and rear lens caps, lens case
- MFR # SEL1635Z
What's in the box:
- Black Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens (SEL1635Z)
- 72mm Front lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH134 Lens hood
- Storage pouch
- Operating Instructions (3 copies in multiple languages)
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty (US)
- European Guarantee Information Document
- Note for customers using a7 (ILCE-7)/ a7R (ILCE-7R)
- Inspection Certificate
Sony SEL1635Z FE 16-35mm f/4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony SEL1635Z FE 16-35mm f/4
Optics: The Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* (T-Star) FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL1635Z) wide angle zoom lens is compatible with the Sony α interchangeable lens cameras with the E-mount. It cannot be used on a camera with the Sony A-mount. The lens has a focal length of 16-35mm with 35mm full frame cameras like the A7 (ILCE7 and 7R), and 24-52.5mm on NEX-series cameras with APS-C-sized image sensors. The lens comes with the ALC-SH134 lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and a storage pouch.
Carl Zeiss T* Coating: The SEL1635Z lens was developed jointly by Carl Zeiss and Sony, and is produced under the strict standards and quality assurance of Carl Zeiss. The Carl Zeiss T* (T-Star) coating virtually eliminates the lens flare, internal reflection, and light scattering that can occur at glass-to-air surfaces.
Optical Steady Shot (OSS): The SEL1636Z has built-in Optical Steady Shot (OSS) lens stabilization. When mounted to a compatible camera, Optical Steady Shot can compensate for camera shake to prevent blurred images, especially in low light situations. Gyro sensors built into the lens can detect even the slightest movement and compensate for any image blur that might occur. The shake compensation is equivalent to 4 stops.
Internal Focusing: The FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens features internal focusing. Only the middle groups of the optical system move to achieve focus, so the overall length of the lens does not change. Internal focusing helps you achieve fast auto focusing. Because the front of the lens does not rotate, using a polarizing filter is more convenient.
Focusing: The lens can be used in the auto-focus, Direct Manual focus, or manual focus modes. You can switch between focusing modes in the camera menu, as there is no switch on the lens itself. In Direct Manual focus, you can fine-tune the focus by turning the focusing ring after initially auto-focusing. Manual focusing is performed with the focusing ring as well.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the bayonet-type ALC-SH134 lens hood to prevent stray light from entering the lens causing lens flare. When installed, the lens hood adds about 0.8" to the overall length of the lens. When shooting with external flash, you should remove the lens hood to prevent shadows at the bottom of the picture.
|Lens||FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS|
|Focal Length (35mm)||16-35mm|
|Lens Construction||12 elements in 10 groups, including 1 advanced aspheric and 5 aspheric lens elements|
|Angle of View||107°-63° (35mm) |
|Aperture Range||f/4 maximum |
|Aperture Type||7-blade circular|
|Dimensions||Diameter=3.047", Length=4.084" (4.601" w/lens caps)|
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?