About the Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM
Capture more light
Capture more light
This wide-angle prime lens from Sony is perfect for capturing sprawling landscapes, along with architecture and interior shots. With a minimum focus distance of 9.5 inches, you can also use it for stunning close-ups with beautifully blurred backgrounds. A generous f/1.4 maximum aperture makes this lens ideal for shooting in low-light situations.
Great photos indoors or out
While this lens's light-gathering ability makes it well-suited for indoor shooting, its rugged construction lends itself nicely to outdoor photography in just about any conditions. If you're out shooting on the beach and the wind starts kicking up sand, you won't have to worry — the dust- and moisture-resistant design means you can keep shooting even when the weather gets dicey.
- Lens type: E-mount full frame
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 24mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 36mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 9.5"
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- 2 XA (extreme aspherical) lens elements and 3 ED (extra-high dispersion) elements for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- circular aperture with 11 diaphragm blades for smooth background defocusing
- Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing
- Nano AR coating reduces ghosting and flare
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- focus hold button for added control
- hood lock mechanism prevents accidental hood detachment while hood release mechanism makes hood removal easier
- attachment/filter size: 67mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and carrying case
- lens is 3" in diameter, 3-11/16" long
- weight: 15.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL24F14GM
What's in the box:
- FE 24mm F1.4 GM lens
- 67mm Front lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cover (installed)
- ALC-SH154 Lens hood
- Padded lens case
- Lens case strap
- Precautions Before Using
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty
- European Guarantee Information Document
More details on the Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM
Overview: The Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM G Master lens is a full frame (35mm) wide-angle prime lens that is ideal for landscape and architectural photography, as well as for portraits. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL24F14GM has an 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous background bokeh (blurred background elements). The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a soft zippered storage case.
Compatibility: The SEL24F14GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors. It also works with E-series camera with an APS-C image sensor, however, the equivalent focal length will be 36mm, and the image will be cropped.
Lens Elements: The SEL24F14GM has 13 lens elements in 10 groups, including three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element to reduce axial and lateral chromatic aberration, and two XA (extreme aspherical) for excellent corner-to-corner resolution. The XA elements suppress sagittal flare, which unnaturally spreads points of light. Sony's Nano AR Coating suppresses reflections that cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations. The front element has a fluorine coating that helps prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking. You can easily wipe smudges away in case they appear on the lens surface.
Focusing System: The lens features a redesigned high-power DDSSM (Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor) for fast, accurate autofocusing. The DDSSM operates silently, making it ideal for shooting movies in scenes where the focus is constantly changing.
Controls: The FE 24mm lens has a manual focusing ring, plus an aperture ring with a "Click" switch. As you rotate the ring through each aperture setting, the lens provides a tactile "click." The Click Switch lets you turn off the click stops for a smooth, quiet operation, ideal for shooting movies. Other lens controls include:
- Auto Iris: When you align the "A" on the aperture scale to the aperture index, the camera is set to auto iris mode, allowing the exposure to be set by the camera. Otherwise, you can rotate the aperture ring between f/1.4 and f/16 to adjust the amount of light entering the lens.
- Focus Mode: You can switch between Autofocus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF) with this 2-way switch. For AF photography, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF. For MF photography, either or both the lens and camera should be set to MF.
- Focus Hold: A focus hold button is on the lens barrel. When shooting in AF, you can press a focus hold button to turn off autofocusing to fix the focus before shooting. To start AF again, release the focus-hold button and press the shutter button halfway.
Lens Hood: The SEL24F14GM comes with the ALC-SH154 lens hood for blocking incidental light that may cause flare and ghosting to maintain optimum clarity and contrast. A hood lock switch is provided to prevent accidental detachment or rotation of the lens hood while shooting or moving around.
- Focal Length: 24mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 36mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f1.4
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Angle of View: 84° (35mm), 61° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.79' (9.48")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.17x
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.967", Length 3.867" (4.359" with lens caps)
- Weight: 15.7 ounces