About the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS
Go the distance with your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera
Go the distance with your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera
If you shoot sports or wildlife, you'll appreciate the reach this 200-600mm lens provides, along with its exceptional optics and performance, and relatively light weight. A special anti-reflective coating and nine specialized lens elements reduce distortion and aberrations for outstanding high-resolution images, while an 11-blade circular aperture gives you a smoothly defocused background when shooting wide open.
Great photos anywhere, anytime, rain or shine
Great for outdoor photography in any season, the lens's dust- and moisture-resistant construction means that if the weather takes a turn, you won't have to pack it in until you're ready. A fluorine coating on the front lens element helps keep it clean and makes it easier to wipe away dirt and fingerprints.
Stay focused on important details
Sony's quiet DDSM (Direct Drive Super Sonicwave Motor) system ensure fast, precise focus for smooth video rendering and responsiveness during continuous still shooting. Range limiter controls let you restrict the focal range, preventing accidental focus on foreground elements and minimizing time spent "hunting" for focus so you won't miss your shot. Once you've acquired your target, the focus hold button lets you lock the focus where you want it.
Sharp images at longer focal lengths
Sony incorporated internal focusing into this lens's design for stable handheld shooting. Optical image stabilization helps you take sharp photos and smooth videos. Three different modes — including a panning mode for moving subjects — help optimize the effects of image stabilization according to the subject and scene.
- 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 super telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 200-600mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 300-900mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- compatible with Sony 1.4X and 2X teleconverters
- Nano AR coating minimizes ghosting and flare
- protective fluorine coating on front lens element allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization for crisp handheld images
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for consistent reliability
- 1 aspherical element, and 5 ED (extra-low dispersion) elements for excellent resolution and image quality
- Linear Response MF allows immediate, precise control with manual focus ring
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- 3 customizable focus hold buttons on lens barrel provide added control
- DDSSM (Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor) system for fast, accurate, near-silent focusing
- minimum focus distance: 7.9'
- minimum aperture: f/32-36
- lens construction: 24 elements in 17 groups
- 11 rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- filter/attachment size: 95mm
- lens is 4-7/16" in diameter and 12-9/16" long
- weight: 4.67 lbs.
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, removable tripod mount, and soft carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL200600G
What's in the box:
- FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS zoom lens
- ALC-F95S 95mm Lens cap (installed)
- ALC-R1EM Rear dust cap (installed)
- Tripod collar (installed)
- ALC-SH157 Lens hood
- Neck strap
- Soft lens case
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet (US + Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
- Precautions before using
- Notes on a-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras
Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS
Overview: The Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G) is super-telephoto zoom lens for Sony mirrorless cameras with the E-mount. It can be used with either full frame camera bodies or those with APS-C image sensors. The 3x zoom lens features Optical SteadyShot (OSS) that reduces blur caused by camera shake. Sony G lenses are designed and manufactured to the highest standards of optical performance, giving you superb clarity and sharpness at all focal lengths. The lens comes with a removable tripod mount, and a lens strap to prevent the lens from dropping.
Compatibility: The lens is designed for Sony alpha-series camera bodies with the E-mount. It cannot be used on A-mount cameras. The lens is compatible with the range of a 35mm (full frame) image sensor. If you use the lens on a camera with an APS-C sized image sensor, the 35mm equivalent focal length is 1.5-times the lens native focal length (300-900mm). The lens is also compatible with Sony's 1.4x (SEL14TC) and 2.0x (SEL20TC) teleconverters, so you can zoom out to 840mm or 1200mm at F13. The teleconverters retain superb image quality and AF performance.
Lens Construction: The SEL200600G has 24 elements in 17 groups, including one aspherical element, and five ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements. The aspherical element supresses spherical aberration and distortion, while the ED glass elements minimize chromatic aberration that typically occurs at super-telephoto focal lengths. The lens features a moisture- and dust-resistant design, so you can confidently use the lens outdoors in challenging environments.
Internal Zoom: The lens' internal zoom mechanism means that the length of the lens does not change while zooming. The distance between the front lens element and the subject does not change. This gives you more balanced and stable handheld operation.
Lens Coatings: The SEL200600G features Sony's Nano AR Coating has a uniform nanometer-level structure that breaks up the lens' boundary surface, reducing reflections that cause flare and ghosting. The front lens element has a fluorine coating to repel water, oil, and fingerprints on the surface. The coating also makes it easier to wipe off any contaminants that become attached to the front element.
Optical SteadyShot (OSS): The lens is equipped with Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization technology. You can turn OSS on or off via the switch on the lens barrel. Shooting at long zoom ranges without a tripod makes it difficult to get blur-free shots. Optical SteadyShot compensates for camera shake common with handheld photography, giving you sharp, clear images. In addition, 5-axis Stabilization is available with compatible Sony alpha camera bodies. There are three OSS Modes to choose from:
- Mode 1: for normal camera shake
- Mode 2: for camera shake that occurs when panning moving subjects.
- Mode 3: to minimize framing disturbances, and to help you keep up with fast and irregularly moving subjects (i.e. photographing sports or wildlife).
Note: You should turn off OSS when using a tripod.
11-blade Circular Aperture: The lens is equipped with an 11-blade circular aperture which provides smooth, natural bokeh, especially at super-telephoto focal lengths.
DDSSM: The lens utilizes Sony's Direct Drive Super Sonicwave Motor (DDSSM) system to power the lens' internal focusing mechanism for fast and accurate focusing. The DDSSM act quickly and precisely to give you excellent positioning accuracy. You'll get pinpoint autofocus, as well as fast focus tracking for rapidly moving subjects.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens has a Focus Mode Switch to let you choose between Auto and Manual Focus. For AF photography, you should set both the camera and the lens to AF. For Manual Focus, you can have either the camera or the lens set to MF.
Focus Hold: The SEL200600G is equipped with three customizable Focus Hold button on the lens barrel. When shooting in Auto Focus mode, pressing one of the Focus Hold buttons cancels the AF to fix the current focus, allowing you to take the shot. Releasing the button while pressing the shutter button halfway starts AF again.
AF Range: The lens is equipped with a 3-position focus-range limiter to help reduce the time it takes to auto focus. You can set the focus-range limiter switch to one of the following:
- Full: lets you adjust the focus from the minimum focusing distance to infinity.
- 10m-2.4m: lets you adjust the focus from 32.81 feet (10m) to 7.88 feet (2.4m).
- Infinity-10m: lets you adjust the focus from 32.81 feet (10m) to infinity.
Linear Response MF: The SEL200600G features a natural Linear Response Manual Focus to give you precise control over the focus using the manual focus ring. The ring responds directly and linearly to subtle rotations, translating directly to a corresponding change in focus.
Tripod Mount: The lens comes with a removable tripod mount that lets you quickly switch from tripod to handheld shooting. Loosening the locking knob on the tripod collar lets you change from horizontal to vertical (or vice versa) shooting position by rotating the lens within the collar. Gray dots are located at 90° intervals to help you precisely adjust the camera position. The tripod collar's foot has both 1/4" and 3/8" tripod threads, so no adapter is necessary.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the ALC-SH157 lens hood which helps prevent lens flare, and protects the front lens element. When installed, the lens hood adds approximately 4" to the overall length of the lens. The hood can be stored on the lens by installing it backwards.
- Model Name: FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
- Focal Length: 200 - 600mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 300 - 900mm
- Angle of View:
- Full Frame Sensor: 12°30' - 4°10'
- APS-C Sensor: 8° - 2°40'
- Maximum Aperture: F5.6 (W) - F6.3 (T)
- Minimum Aperture: F32 (W) - F36 (T)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.2x
- Minimum Focus Distance: 7.88' (94.56")
- Lens Construction: 24 elements in 17 groups
- Filter Diameter: 95mm
- Physical Dimensions:
- Length: 12.75" (13.3125" w/lens caps)
- Diameter: 4.385"
- Weight: 74.7 ounces (4.67 pounds)