About the Sony SEL50M28 50mm f/2.8
A detail-oriented lens for close-ups and portraits
This 50mm f/2.8 macro lens from Sony lets you get within six and a half inches of the tiniest subjects for sharp, finely-detailed close-ups. Its 50mm focal length also makes it perfect for portraits and everyday photography. With a maximum aperture of f/2.8, you can capitalize on available light for close-up work and capture gorgeous portraits that play up your subject against a dreamy blurred background.
- lens type: E-mount full frame (FE)
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 50mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 75mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- focus hold button for added control
- dust- and moisture-resistant design
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural background defocusing
- maximum magnification ratio: 1:1
- minimum focus distance: 6-5/16"
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 8 elements in 7 groups
- one aspherical element and one extra-low dispersion element for high contrast images with minimal chromatic aberration
- filter/attachment size: 55mm
- lens is 2-7/8" in diameter, 2-7/8" long
- weight: 8.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- MFR # SEL50M28
What's in the box:
- FE 50mm F2.8 Macro lens (SEL50M28)
- ALC-F55S 55mm Front lens cap (installed)
- ALC-R1EM E-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions (3 versions - 11 languages)
- Precautions before using booklet
- Note for customers using an alpha series camera
- Limited warranty sheet
- European Guarantee Information Document
More details on the Sony SEL50M28 50mm f/2.8
Overview: The Sony SEL50M28 (FE 50mm F2.8 Macro) is a standard macro prime lens designed for Sony Interchangeable Lens Cameras with full-frame image sensors. You can focus as close as 6.3" and get fabulous 1:1 macro photos. Not only can you get beautiful close-ups with the SEL50M28, you can use the lens for portraits, scenery, and everyday snapshots.
Compatibility: The SEL50M28 lens is equipped with a Sony E-mount, and has full compatibility with Sony Full-Frame Interchangeable Lens cameras, such as the ILCE-7SM2. It is also fully compatible with the ILCE-6500, an E-mount APS-C camera. On the ILCE-6500, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 75mm. Partial compatibility exists with other ILCE-series and NEX-series cameras.
Focusing Methods: You can focus in three ways:
- Auto Focus: The camera focuses automatically. Some mechanical sounds may be picked up during movie recording.
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF): After focusing in Auto Focus, you can manually make fine focusing adjustments using the focus ring.
- Manual Focus: You can focus manually using the focus ring on the lens.
Focus Controls: The lens has the following focus controls:
- Focus Mode Switch: You can easily switch between Auto Focus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF) with the two-way slide switch on the lens barrel.
- Focus Hold: The Focus Hold button lets you turn off Auto Focus after you have reached the desired focus. When you press and hold the button, the focus becomes fixed, allowing you to release the shutter on the fixed focus. To restart Auto Focus, you can release the button and press the shutter button halfway. The button does not function on every camera model.
- Focus Range Limiter: You can reduce the focusing time by limiting the focus range. There are three positions on the slide switch: Full (Minimum focusing distance to infinity), ∞ - 0.3m (adjust focus from 11.9" to infinity), and 0.3m - 0.16m (adjust focus from 11.9" to the minimum focusing distance)
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Equivalent focal length (APS-C): 75mm
- Lens Construction: 8 elements in 7 groups
- Angle of View: 47° (full frame cameras); 32° (cameras with APS-C sensor)
- Minimum Focus: 6.36"
- Maximum Magnification: 1.0x
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Aperture Design: 7 blades, circular
- Filter Diameter: 55mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.771" Length 3.024" (3.502" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 8.4 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?