About the Sony FE 600mm f/4.0 GM OSS
Close in on distant action with your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera
Close in on distant action with your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera
Perfect for professional sports and wildlife photographers, Sony's 600mm f/4 G Master lens offers outstanding image quality and professional control in a portable package that weighs in at under seven pounds. This large-aperture super telephoto lens has a balanced design for easy handheld operation or monopod shooting.
Great photos anywhere, anytime, rain or shine
Great for outdoor photography in any season, the lens's dust- and moisture-resistant construction means that if the weather takes a turn, you won't have to pack it in until you're ready. A fluorine coating on the front lens element helps keep it clean and makes it easier to wipe away dirt and fingerprints.
Stay focused on important details
Sony's dual XD linear motors ensure smooth, quiet video rendering and responsiveness during continuous still shooting. This design offers improved subject tracking performance and faster, more precise focus for more dynamic action shots. Once you've acquired your target, use one of the four customizable focus hold buttons on the lens barrel to lock the focus where you want it.
Keep it steady
Sony's optical image stabilization system helps you take sharp photos and smooth videos. Three different modes — including a panning mode for moving subjects — help optimize the effects of image stabilization according to the subject and scene.
- 600mm f/4 super telephoto lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 600mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 900mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- compatible with Sony 1.4X and 2X teleconverters
- Nano AR coating minimizes ghosting and flare
- protective fluorine coating on front lens element allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization for crisp handheld images
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for consistent reliability
- 3 lightweight fluorite lens elements for improved balance and handling
- 1 XA (extreme aspherical) element for enhanced image quality
- Linear Response MF allows immediate, precise control with manual focus ring
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- 4 customizable focus hold buttons on lens barrel provide added control
- dual XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors for fast, quiet autofocus
- minimum focus distance: 14.8'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 24 elements in 18 groups
- 11 rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- drop-in filter slot accepts 40.5mm filters
- lens is 6-1/2" in diameter, 17-11/16" long
- weight: 6.7 lbs.
- includes lightweight carbon fiber lens hood, front and rear lens caps, hard case, lens strap, and case strap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL600F40GM
What's in the box:
- FE 600mm f/4.0 GM OSS super telephoto lens (SEL600F40GM)
- Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Lens strap
- ALC-SH158 Lens hood
- Lens case with strap
- 2 Case lock keys
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 600mm f/4.0 GM OSS
Overview: The Sony FE 600mm f/4.0 GM OSS lens is a full frame (35mm) super telephoto prime lens that is ideal for sports, nature, and wildlife photography. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL600F40GM has an 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous background bokeh (blurred background elements). The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, tripod mount, lens hood, lens strap, and a locking hard storage case.
Compatibility: The SEL600F40GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors. It also works with E-series camera with an APS-C image sensor, however, the equivalent focal length will be 900mm, and the image will be cropped.
Lens Elements: The SEL600F40GM has 24 lens elements in 18 groups, including one XA (extreme aspherical) lens element, three Fluorite lens elements, and one ED glass element. Sony's Nano AR Coating suppresses reflections that cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations. The front element has a fluorine coating that helps prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking. You can easily wipe smudges away in case they appear on the lens surface.
XD Linear Motors: The lens features Sony's newly developed XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors, which deliver more thrust than conventional types for up to 5 times the improvement in tracking moving subjects. The XD Linear Motors provide fast, accurate, and quiet autofocusing.
Preset Focus: You can set a specific focusing distance as a preset, and recall it at any time. Preset focusing can be used in any focus mode (AF, MF, DMF). A beep sound (defeatable) indicates whenever you achieve the preset focusing distance.
Power Focusing: The lens has an electronic focusing ring, allowing you to rack the focus at a smooth, consistent pace. This is particularly helpful while shooting movies.
Controls: The FE 600mm lens has a manual focusing ring, plus an aperture ring with a "Click" switch. As you rotate the ring through each aperture setting, the lens provides a tactile "click." The Click Switch lets you turn off the click stops for a smooth, quiet operation, ideal for shooting movies. Other lens controls include:
- Focus Mode: You can switch between Autofocus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF) with this 2-way switch. For AF photography, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF. For MF photography, either or both the lens and camera should be set to MF. There is also a switch to turn on (or off) Full Time DMF
- Shake Compensation: The lens features Optical SteadyShot (OSS) which corrects camera shake. After activating shake compensation with the 2-way (On/Off) switch, you can select the desired Compensation Mode:
- Mode 1: compensates for normal camera shake
- Mode 2: compensates for camera shake when panning moving subjects.
- Mode 3: compensates for camera shake to minimize framing disturbances while shooting fast and irregularly moving subjects.
- Focus Hold: A focus hold button is on the lens barrel. When shooting in AF, you can press a focus hold button to turn off autofocusing to fix the focus before shooting. To start AF again, release the focus-hold button and press the shutter button halfway.
- Focus Range: The AF Range switch applies a range limiter that enables you to reduce the time it takes to autofocus. You can select from the following ranges: Full (14.8' to infinity), 15m - 4.5m (49.3' to 14.8'), or Infinity to 15m (49.3' to infinity)
Filters: The lens features a drop-in filter slot at the rear of the lens. The filter holder will accept 40.5mm screw-type filters. A normal filter is included with the lens. A drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter (VF-DCPL1), available from the manufacturer, can replace the supplied normal filter. You must always operate the lens with the filter holder and filter installed.
Tripod Mount: The FE 600mm lens comes with a tripod mount that helps provide more balance and better control of the lens and camera. The tripod mount collar can be loosened to allow you to rotate the camera between vertical and horizontal positions. Tripod Collar Ring indexes (gray dots) are provided at 90° for precise positioning.
Lens Hood: The SEL600F40GM comes with the ALC-SH158 lens hood for blocking incidental light that may cause flare and ghosting to maintain optimum clarity and contrast. A hood lock switch is provided to prevent accidental detachment or rotation of the lens hood while shooting or moving around. When not using the lens hood, you can reverse-mount it onto the lens for storage.
Optional Teleconverters: The lens is compatible with Sony's 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters to extend the focal length. The optional SEL14TC 1.4x teleconverter extends the focal length to 840mm, while the SEL20TC 2.0x teleconverter doubles the focal length to 1200mm.
- Focal Length: 600mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 900mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.0
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Filter Diameter: 40.5mm
- Angle of View: 4° 10' (35mm), 2° 40' (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 14.8'
- Maximum Magnification: 0.14x
- Dimensions: Diameter 6.5", Length 17.75"
- Weight: 107.3 ounces