About the Sony CDX-G3205UV
Sight and sound
Sight and sound
When I buy a new car, I always install a new radio— there's no better way to up the sound quality in your ride. But I'm not going to put something in the dash that doesn't look good too. Sony built the CDX-G3205UV CD receiver with sleek black lines and carbon-fiber accents, all complemented by a variable color display. You can select preset or custom colors for the display and the buttons, so you can get a perfect match with your car's illumination scheme. And when you're in the mood, Sony's Sound Synchronization pulses the lights with the changes in volume of your music.
You can adjust the illumination colors for the buttons and display separately.
This Sony features a powerful built-in amp that'll wake up your sound system, along with a 10-band equalizer to iron out the rough spots in your car's acoustics. Tap the EXTRA BASS™ button for some added punch to your music.
Great options for your music
Along with that great sound, this Sony gives you plenty of ways to enjoy your music, starting with a CD player with MP3 and WMA playback. If you want to enjoy the quality of lossless music files, load your FLAC tracks onto a USB thumb drive and plug it in to the front-panel USB input. Connect your iPod® or iPhone® — even many Android™ smartphones — and enjoy control from the receiver, with handy built-in controls that scan and find music quickly.
If you're a Pandora® Internet radio fan, you can plug in your iPhone, then browse stations or rate songs from the receiver's controls. Plus, the CDX-G3205UVU works with an optional tuner to receive SiriusXM satellite radio — a virtual cornucopia of music, news, talk, sports, and other programming.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
- plays MP3, WMA, and FLAC files on USB devices
- variable color display with separate settings for display and buttons
- Sound Synchronization matches display color timing to the audio source
- detachable face
- remote control
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- AOA 2.0 compatible for music playback and control from select Android phones
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone
- EQ10 10-band equalizer with 11 presets
- high- and low-pass filters
- MEGA BASS loudness
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (sold separately, subscription required)
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 3-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear, dual mono full-range sub outs)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CDXG3205UV
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X211)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Face-fixing screw note
- Warranty Sheet
Sony CDX-G3205UV reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony CDX-G3205UV
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Sony CDX-G3205UV enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android devices through its front-panel USB-A 2.0 port. There are two types of modes to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The CDX-G3205UV supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1+) to the receiver's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and select music apps from your Android device through the Sony head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; you'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music + Song/Artist Info): The CDX-G3205UV also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Sony receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: You will need to setup Android connectivity within the head unit's menu. Select "MSC/MTP" for MTP mode and "Android" for AOA 2.0 mode. Not all Android devices are compatible with AOA 2.0 or MTP, regardless of operating system.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect: The CDX-G3205UV's front-panel USB port allows you to connect select Lightning or 30-pin iPod/iPhones via the cable that comes with your Apple device or a 3rd party "Made For iPod/iPhone" certified cable (sold separately). The head unit supports music playback, music browsing, song/artist display, and charging.
- Basic Playback Control: The CDX-G3205UV allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit's front-panel. You can control functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind & Random/Repeat (advanced music browsing is not supported).
- Song/Artist Info: The Sony receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including track #, elapsed playing time, song title, artist name, and album title.
- Battery Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB (1A) connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Sony CDX-G3205UV is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 11/8/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Aux Input: A front-panel stereo minijack (3.5mm) input is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
Disc Compatibility: The Sony CDX-G3205UV features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports the playback of MP3/WMA music files on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off.
- Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0° (horizontal) and 45°.
USB Mass Storage Class Device Playback: The CD receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC), such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, & FLAC audio files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Sony head unit. Basic playback controls included Play/Pause, FW/RW, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the receiver. In addition, USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This unit does not support the connection of a USB hub.
Compatible Music Files: The Sony CDX-G3205UV supports the following types of compressed music files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW)||USB (MSC or MTP)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Romeo, or Joliet,||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
|FLAC: bit depth of 16 or 24-bit w/ sampling
frequency of 44.1 or 48kHz |
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||150 folders/300 files||256 folders/256 files per folder|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, FLAC tag|
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver can display the following music file information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Title.
Search Functions: The Sony CD receiver offers several unique search functions.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD or connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony CDX-G3205UV lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone. The Sony CDX-G3205UV will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app. Simply download the Pandora App onto your iPhone (iOS 8.0+) and connect your iPhone device to the Sony head unit via USB. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Sony CDX-G3205UV is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Digital Clarity Tuner: The Sony CDX-G3205UV CD receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BTM: Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The redesigned, internal Dynamic Reality Amp circuitry boasts 47% lower internal resistance compared to conventional in-dash receiver, delivering 52 watts x 4 channels of Peak power to your vehicle's speakers. This allows you to crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels, and smooth frequency response. The power output specs for the CDX-G3205UV are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony CDX-G3205UV are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2-Volt Preouts: The CDX-G3205UV is equipped with a set of 2V rear-channel preouts and a 2V subwoofer preout. The subwoofer output offers independent level control (-6dB to +6dB) and phase control (Normal or Reverse)
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The receiver's high-pass crossover sends high and mid-range frequencies to your full-range speakers, while the low-pass crossover directs only bass frequencies to your connected subwoofer. The high-pass crossover and low-pass crossover filters can be adjusted to 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off (Full-Range).
EQ10: Select from a variety of EQ presets like R&B, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Karaoke, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band1 (32Hz), Band2 (63Hz), Band3 (125Hz), Band4 (250Hz), Band5 (500Hz), Band6 (1khz), Band7 (2khz), Band8 (4kHz), Band9 (8kHz), and Band10 (16kHz).
Extra Bass: Extra Bass adds more low-end power to your music. It works by reinforcing bass notes to create deep, punchy bass.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The CDX-G3205UV features a detachable face for theft prevention. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds (the alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used).
Note: A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired. No face case is included with this unit.
Dynamic Color Illuminator: The head unit's Dynamic Color Illuminator lets you match the unit's LCD & button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components. You can select from 15 preset colors or customize a color (RGB). You can select a different color for the head unit's LCD & button illumination.
- Sound Synchronization: With selectable Sound Synchronization, the timing of the color change is synchronized with the audio source. The color changes according to synchronization of playing music. When you select a preset pattern sound synchronization becomes effective.
- Dimmer: The CDX-G3205UV features a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose from either "Dim On" or Dim Off".
- Brightness: Adjusts the display's brightness level from 1-10.
- Auto Scroll: Auto Scroll allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc, USB or other connected device.
Note: Pressing the "OFF/SRC" button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the "OFF/SRC" button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the "OFF/SRC" button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting after 30 minutes of shutting the power off.
Remote Control: The Sony CDX-G3205UV comes with a wireless remote control and supports factory steering wheel remote controls (separate adapter required).
- Wireless Remote: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X211) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
- Steering Wheel Remote Input: The head unit features a steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The Sony CDX-G3205UV replaces these items
- Dynamic Color Illuminator for variable color display and buttons
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone
- iPod controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included)
- front auxiliary input
1 question already asked