About the Sony CDX-GT510
If you use iTunes® as your music software, Sony has some good news for you. The CDX-GT510 CD receiver will play the songs you've ripped from regular CDs and stored on your computer in the high-quality AAC format. Just burn them to a disc to leave in the car. The stereo also plays MP3, WMA, and Sony's own ATRAC3plus music files it won't play rights-protected songs bought from iTunes music store.
This stereo's stylish flip-down faceplate has a large, easy-to-see display, and you can select either green or red button lighting to help make it look at home in your car. Customize the sound with Sony's EQ3 feature, which includes 7 preset tone curves and a 3-band equalizer. The Dynamic Soundstage Organizer adds presence and life to your music by raising the soundstage up to ear level especially effective if your front speakers are mounted near the floor.
Building a system? You'll find two sets of preamp outputs for adding external amplifiers or a powered subwoofer. Play music from your portable audio player by connecting it to the miniplug input on the stereo's faceplate. You can also add satellite radio or Sony's iPod® adapter to further expand your music selections. Use the remote control to make stereo adjustments without taking your eyes off the road.
- CD player with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, AAC, and ATRAC3plus music files (except Digital Rights-protected files)
- fold-down, detachable face
- dot-matrix fluorescent display with green/red button lighting
- remote control
- EQ3 (seven preset tone curves and a 3-band equalizer)
- Dynamic Soundstage Organizer adds presence and life to your music
- compatible with Sony's iPod adapter and HD Radio tuner, and satellite radio-ready (tuner, subscription, and antenna required)
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary input
- outputs: two sets of preamp outputs
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X151)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- 2 Face security screws
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Installation/Connections sheet (English/French)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Note on installing face security screws
Sony CDX-GT510 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony CDX-GT510
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red or Green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Drive S: The CDX-GT510 features the Drive S chassis platform. Drive S includes the CD mechanism, audio stages, 12 V power supply, and tuner section. The CD mechanism includes a suspension to resist shocks, a motor that draws less power, and a fast low-current pickup that improves durability and CD playback accuracy. The 52W Peak x 4-channel S-MOSFET Power IC produces clearer, more accurate sound, less distortion, and a higher signal-to-noise ratio than previous designs.
Detachable Face: The CDX-GT510 features a detachable face for theft prevention. The radio does not come with a protective face case.
Compressed Audio File Capability: In addition to audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs, the receiver will play MP3, WMA, AAC, and ATRAC (ATRAC3 and ATRAC3plus) compressed audio files stored on a CD-R or CD-RW. Below are the following requirements and features for compressed audio file playback:
- ISO: The unit is compatible with the ISO 9660 level 1 / level 2 format, Joliet/Romeo in the expansion format, and Multi Session.
- The Maximum number of:
- folders or albums is 150 including root and empty folders (MP3, WMA, AAC), 255 (ATRAC)
- files or tracks and folders contained in a disc: 300 (or less if a folder/file names contain many characters) (MP3, WMA, AAC), 999 files or tracks (ATRAC)
- displayable characters for a folder/file name is 32 (Joliet), or 64 (Romeo).
- ID3 display characters: 30 or 126 characters (MP3), 63 characters (WMA), 126 characters (AAC)
- Playback Functions:
- Track Repeat
- Album/Folder Repeat
- Album/Folder Shuffle
- Disc Shuffle
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver's display can display the following information: Track number/Elapsed playing time, Disc/Artist Name, Album/Group Number, Album/Group Name, Track Name, Text Information and Clock.
Note: The Album/Group number is displayed only when the album/group is changed.
Radio Tuning: The CDX-GT510 allows you to manual tune or seek tune AM/FM stations. In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning. The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each of the following bands - FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2. Other tuner features include:
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (DSO): Sony's Dynamic Soundstage Organizer uses proprietary circuitry to induce subtle phase shifts, simulating a sound source that is placed higher than the actual speakers in the vehicle. For example, when the DSO function is used in a vehicle equipped with speakers mounted low in the front doors, it creates virtual speakers in the dash to raise the soundstage. This unit offers three levels of DSO, each with a larger and higher soundstage. You can store the DSO setting for each source.
EQ3 Stage 2: EQ3 Stage 2 offers 7 EQ presets, each of which has a preset value for 3 bands: Low (60Hz), Middle (1kHz), and High (10kHz). The EQ presets and the band values are as follows:
- Xplod: Low: +10, Middle: +4, High: +4
- Vocal: Low: +4, Middle: +8, High: +2
- Edge: Low: +6, Middle: -2, High: +7
- Cruise: Low: +3, Middle: +4, High: +2
- Space: Low: +4, Middle: +5, High: +8
- Gravity: Low: +8, Middle: 0, High: +2
- Custom: Adjustable -10dB to +10dB for each band
Amplifier Section: The head-unit's amplifier is CEA-2006 compliant and rated at 17 watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 Ohms and 1% THD. The unit is also rated at 23.2 watts per channel minimum continuous average power into 4 ohms, 4 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 5% THD. Peak power is rated at 52 watts per channel.
Switchable Preamp Outputs: The CDX-GT510 contains two pairs of RCA preamp outputs, including one set that can be set for the rear channels or for subwoofer operation. When set to subwoofer, the output becomes non-fading and a low pass filter is activated with a selectable cut-off frequency of 125Hz, 78Hz, or Off.
Front Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable cassette, MD or MP3 player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu so it doesn't appear as an available source.
Mounting Angle: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and face/button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Dimmer: The CDX-GT510 features a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose between "Dim Auto", "Dim On" or Dim Off". When Dim Auto is selected, the display dims automatically when the vehicle's lights are turned on. The orange/white illumination wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit in order for the automatic dimmer feature to work properly.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Eject: The CD disc can be ejected with the unit powered off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if the disc is ejected and left on the lip opening of the player for 15 seconds or more.
Wired Remote Compatibility: In addition to the supplied wireless remote, the receiver can be controlled by an optional wired rotary commander (item 158RMX4S). Once the wired remote is connected, you can change the control direction of the remote, depending upon which side of the steering wheel you choose to mount the remote.
iPod Ready: You can connect an iPod to this unit and control it via the front panel controls and remote. The optional XA-110IP iPod Control Interface (item #158XA110IP) is required.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner (220CNP20UC) and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON1).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS SIR-SNY1 Satellite Tuner for Sony (item # 607SIRSNY1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite
radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via
the auxiliary input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: The CDX-GT510 is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Changer Controls: This unit is compatible with Sony UniLink CD/MP3 and MD changers. In addition, this unit can control compatible Sony Mobile Memory Stick players.
Multiple Changer Control: A maximum of 5 CD changers, 5 CD/MP3 changers, or 5 MD changers may be connected to this receiver. When connecting CD, CD/MP3 and MD changers, you may connect up to a total of 7 changers (but there must not be more than 5 of one type of changer). When connecting more than one changer to this receiver, you must use the Sony XA-C40 source selector.
Optional Auxiliary Input: You can connect an auxiliary audio device (such as a portable digital memory player, cassette, MiniDisc, or VCR) when used with the optional XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter. The XA-300 uses the UniLink and Bus Audio inputs on the back of the receiver, and allows you to connect an optional CD/MD changer in addition to the auxiliary audio source.
The Sony CDX-GT510 replaces these items