About the Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI
Sony's CDX-GT550UI CD receiver features an advanced amplifier and a high-quality digital-to-analog converter that'll make your CDs sound their best. But this receiver offers many more features that make it a real winner in its price range.
Customize the sound to your car and your taste
The receiver's EQ7's 7-band equalizer gives you lots of options for adjusting the sound to match your car. Sony's DM+ Advanced circuitry restores the details that are lost when you compress your digital music, so you enjoy the best possible sound from your MP3, WMA, or AAC files. And if you're craving a perfect stereo sweet spot, you'll be able to dial it in with the Listening Position feature.
Quick and easy iPod searches
If you're going to use your iPod® in the car, you'll appreciate how seamlessly it works with the CDX-GT550UI. Sony's Quick BrowZer lets you search for a song by genre, artist, or album just rotate the knob to find the song you want, then push to select. If you've got lots of songs on your iPod, the Jump control leaps through them in 10% increments, while Zappin' plays short clips of your music files until you hear the song that suits your mood.
Want more punch?
When you're ready to expand your system you'll find two sets of preamp outputs for adding external amplifiers or a powered subwoofer. You can use the built-in high- and low-pass filters to trim the signal going to your speakers and subs so you get maximum efficiency from your system.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- CD player with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- detachable face
- selectable blue or green button illumination
- RDS (Radio Data System) built in
- remote control
- EQ7 (eight preset tone curves and a 7-band equalizer)
- Advanced Sound Engine, with Listening Position, DM+ Advanced, Rear Bass Enhancer, and Dynamic Loudness
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- high- and low-pass filters
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding an optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with HD Radio and satellite radio tuners, CD changer
- front-panel USB input, front-panel auxiliary input
- 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X151)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre)
- Installation/Connections sheet (Eng/Fre)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Face fixing screw note
Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue or Green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
USB Port: The receiver's front-panel Type-A USB port can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats (up to 320 kbps). The head unit can recognize up to 128 folders with 500 tracks each when connected to a USB Mass Storage Device. The CDX-GT550UI offers the following USB search, playback, and display functions.
- Search Modes:
- Quick-BrowZer: allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10 percent increments
- Zappin: play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected USB device
- Playback Modes:
- Repeat: repeat a single track or repeat an entire album
- Random: shuffle all tracks or a specific album
- Display Information:
- Numeric Text: track number and elapsed playing time
- Alphanumeric Text: song title, artist name, and album label
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub. Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control: The GT550UI's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via a single cable (iPod dock connector-to-USB cable; not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, and control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title and artist on the front display.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Audio Playback: The Sony head unit supports audio playback of music files stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast. In addition you can search within each category alphabetically. You can also select random and repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- Information Display: The head unit will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, and Album Title.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony GT550UI is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 1/12/2012):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Front Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS: The Sony CDX-GT550UI features a built-in SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS. Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The CDX-GT550UI offers manual, seek and preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
HD Radio Ready: The CDX-GT550UI is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional Sony SNYSC1 interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately). You can also connect select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios to the head unit via the Sony SNYSC1 interface module (607SNYSC1, sold separately) and the SiriusConnect Plug & Play Dock (607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- XM Satellite Radio: A portable XM Satellite Radio receiver can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink auxiliary input adapter (158XA300, sold separately).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony CDX-GT550UI allows you to playback CD-Rs or CD-RWs loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC songs (up to 320 kbps) recorded in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. The CDX-GT550UI can support up 128 folders, and a combined 500 folders and files on a disc. The head unit will also display song information for MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (Joliet: up to 32 characters, Romeo: up to 64 characters).
Note: Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver can display the following CD-TEXT or ID3/WMA-tag information - Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD, iPod, or from your connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10 percent increments.
Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your CD or connected USB device.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Auto Playback: The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off.
Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI FM/AM compact disc player features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The CDX-GT550UI is equipped with Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp to produce 3 dimensional sound staging for more realistic sound inside your vehicle.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony CDX-GT550UI utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CDX-GT550UI are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Two Pairs Of 2V Preamp Outputs: The CDX-GT550UI contains two pairs of 2-volt RCA preamp outputs - a front pair and another pair that can be set for the rear channels or for subwoofer operation.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's subwoofer output is activated, the preamp output becomes non-fading and a low pass filter is activated with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ7, Listening Position, DM+ Advanced, Rear Bass Enhancer, and Dynamic Loudness.
- EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of seven different frequency bands - Band1 (63Hz), Band2 (160Hz), Band3 (400Hz), Band4 (1kHz), Band5 (2.5khz), Band6 (6.3khz), and Band7 (16.0kHz).
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far
- RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Dynamic Loudness: Dynamic Loudness refers to compensating for volume level and signal gain.
- DM+ Advanced: DM+ Advanced improves digitally compressed sound by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process (works only for USB).
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The CDX-GT550UI features a detachable face for theft prevention. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Caution Alarm: If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
Black 1-Line LCD Display: The Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI features a single-line black LCD with a negative display (white text) for viewing information.
Motion Display: This feature shows moving patterns and a spectrum analyzer on the display when turned on.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Dimmer: The CDX-GT550UI feature a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose from either "Dim On" or Dim Off".
Selectable Button Illumination: The Sony CDX-GT550UI offers selectable blue or green key illumination to compliment your vehicle's interior lighting.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X151) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony Xplod head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Sony Xplod CDX-GT550UI replaces these items