About the Sony CDX-GT630UI
If you want a car stereo that combines great sound quality and the ability to play all your favorite media, you've found your match. The Sony Xplod CDX-GT630UI CD receiver offers outstanding sound quality, plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files on disc, and features convenient front panel USB and auxiliary inputs for your portables. Plus, you can connect and control your iPod® without the need of an optional adapter.
Find your way to that file fast
Sony's packed the CDX-GT630UI with an impressive set of controls for navigating your iPod's music. Quick BrowZer lets you search for a song by genre, artist, or album just rotate the knob to find the song you want, then push to select. If you've got lots of songs on your iPod, the Jump control leaps through them in 10% increments. Switch to passenger control and your backseat passengers can select tunes with the iPod's controls.
Sony's DM+ circuitry restores the details lost to compression, so you enjoy the best possible sound from your MP3, WMA, or AAC files. Customize the sound with EQ3 Parametric feature, which includes seven preset tone curves and a 3-band equalizer. The Dynamic Soundstage Organizer adds presence and life to your music by raising the soundstage up to ear level it's especially effective if your front speakers are mounted near the floor.
Building a system?
You'll find three sets of preamp outputs for adding external amplifiers or a powered subwoofer. Built-in high- and low-pass filters ensure you send your speakers only the frequencies they're best equipped to handle.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- CD player with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable fold-down face with LCD display
- switchable blue or green illumination
- remote control
- EQ3 (seven preset tone curves and a 3-band equalizer)
- DSO2 soundstage organizer
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- high- and low-pass filters
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding an optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with HD Radio and satellite radio tuners
- front-panel USB input, front-panel auxiliary input
- 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X151)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- 2 Face security screws
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Installation/Connections sheet (English/French/Spanish)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Canadian Warranty sheet
- Note on installing face security screws
- "Caution for iPhone" sheet
Sony CDX-GT630UI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony CDX-GT630UI
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Key Button Color||Blue or Green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Drive S: The CDX-GT630UI features the Drive S chassis for improved sound quality and durability in the CD mechanism, audio stages, 12-volt power supply, and tuner section. The CD mechanism includes a suspension to resist shocks, a motor that draws less power, and a fast low-current pickup that improves durability and CD playback accuracy. The 52W Peak x 4 channel S-MOSFET Power IC produces clearer, more accurate sound, less distortion, and a higher signal-to-noise ratio than previous designs. Power consumption is reduced to half that of previous designs.
Disc/Compressed Audio Compatibility: The CD receiver will play CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs. The headunit also supports CD Text. The receiver will also play MP3, WMA, and AAC compressed audio files stored on a CD-R or CD-RW. Below are the requirements and features for compressed audio file playback:
- ISO: compatible with the ISO 9660 level 1 / level 2 format, Joliet/Romeo in the expansion format, and Multi Session
- The Maximum number of:
- folders or albums is 150 including root and empty folders (MP3, WMA, AAC)
- files or tracks and folders contained in a disc is 300 or less if a folder/file names contain many characters (MP3, WMA, AAC)
- displayable characters for a folder/file name is 32 (Joliet), or 64 (Romeo)
- ID3 Tag: ID3 tag versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 apply to MP3 only. ID3 tag is 15/30 characters (1.0 and 1.1) or 63/126 characters (2.2, 2.3. and 2.4). WMA tag is 63 characters.
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver's display can display the following information: Track number/Elapsed playing time, Disc/Artist Name, Album/Group Number, Album/Group Name, Track Name, Text Information and Clock.
Note: The Album/Group number is displayed only when the album/group is changed.
Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD, iPod, or from your connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or All).
Note: When entering the Quick-BrowZer mode, the repeat/shuffle setting is canceled.
Digital Music Plus: The Sony CDX-GT630UI features Digital Music Plus which is an enhancer technology used to reproduce detail and high frequency sound from compressed audio.
Radio Tuning: The CDX-GT630UI allows you to manual tune or seek tune AM/FM stations. In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning. The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2. Other tuner features include:
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
EQ3 Stage 2: EQ3 Stage 2 offers 7 EQ presets, each of which has a preset value for 3 bands: Low (60Hz), Middle (1kHz), and High (10kHz). The EQ presets and the band values are as follows:
- Xplod: Low: +6, Middle: 0, High: +2
- Vocal: Low: +2, Middle: +6, High: 0
- Edge: Low: +4, Middle: -2, High: +5
- Cruise: Low: +2, Middle: 0, High: +1
- Space: Low: +2, Middle: +3, High: +6
- Gravity: Low: +6, Middle: 0, High: +2
- Off (flat): Low: 0, Middle: 0, High: 0
- Custom: Adjustable -10dB to +10dB for each band (Low, Middle, High)
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (DSO): Sony's Dynamic Soundstage Organizer uses proprietary circuitry to induce subtle phase shifts, simulating a sound source that is placed higher than the actual speakers in the vehicle. For example, when the DSO function is used in a vehicle equipped with speakers mounted low in the front doors, it creates virtual speakers in the dash to raise the soundstage. This unit offers three levels of DSO, each with a larger and higher soundstage. You can store the DSO setting for each source.
Loudness: This feature allows you to listen to your music clearly at low volume levels by reinforcing the bass and treble. The bass level is increased to +4 dB at 100 Hz while the treble level is increased to +2 dB at 10 kHz.
Preamp Outputs: The CDX-GT630UI contains three pairs of RCA preamp outputs for the front and rear channels and for subwoofer operation. The subwoofer output is non-fading with a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 125Hz, 78Hz, or Off. The subwoofer volume is adjustable from -10 to +10. Note: No preamp output voltage figure given.
Front Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable cassette, MD or MP3 player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu so it doesn't appear as an available source.
Motion Display: This feature shows moving patterns and a spectrum analyzer on the display when turned on.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the CDX-GT630UI to one of three dimmer modes - Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer), and Dimmer On (display always dim).
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Flip-Down/Detachable Face: The CDX-GT630UI features a manual fold-down face which provides a larger display and greater protection for the player's CD-slot and your CD discs. In addition, the unit features a detachable face for theft prevention. The radio does not come with a protective face case.
Eject: The CD disc can be ejected with the power off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected but not removed for 15 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
Wireless Remote Control: The headunit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X151) for easy operation.
Optional Wired Remote Control: This unit also has a 3.5mm minijack input for the optional RM-X4S wired rotary commander. In addition, the PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface is compatible with this head unit. The SWI-PS interface allows you to retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles with a Sony head unit with wired remote capability. In some GM vehicles, this adapter allows you to retain heater control buttons as well.
iPod Control: The GT630UI has a front panel USB port which allows you to connect your iPod via a single cable (iPod dock connector-to-USB--cable not included with the head unit). The headunit will allow audio playback, control, and charging of your connected iPod. When the headunit is placed in the Passenger Control mode, you can control the iPod directly using the "click wheel" and other controls on the iPod. Compatible iPod models include:
- iPod classic (80GB, 160GB)
- iPod classic 2nd gen (120GB)
- iPod 5th generation (video)
- iPod nano 1st, 2nd (aluminum), 3rd (video), 4th generation
- iPod touch 1st, 2nd generation
- iPhone and iPhone 3G
Note: Passenger control is not available on the 5th generation iPod and 1st generation iPod nano.
USB Input: The receiver's front-panel Type-A USB input can also be used for plugging in a USB Mass Storage Class device or Sony Walkman digital audio device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, AAC, or ATRAC formats. When playing a USB device, the display can indicate track/album/artist/genre number, track/artist/album/genre name, elapsed playing time, text information, or clock. The headunit can recognize up to 128 folders with 500 tracks each when connected to a USB Mass Storage Device. A sliding cover protects the USB input when it is not in use. The unit is compatible with Sony Walkman USB audio players up to 16GB, as well as Sony Micro Vault USB memory drives up to 16GB. The headunit is also compatible with the following manufacturers of USB devices:
USB Audio Players:
- Dane Elec
USB Memory Drives:
HD Radio Ready: The CDX-GT630UI is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON1).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink auxiliary input adapter (item number 158XA300).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.