About the Sony CDX-H905iP
Sony's CDX-H905iP marine CD receiver puts a fresh new face on marine audio gear with a smart-looking design, a display that won't wash out in bright light, and a set of easy-to-use, intuitive controls. You can switch between red and blue button illumination to best match the instruments in your boat's cockpit.
The CDX-H905iP includes an attached 3-meter cable for plugging in and controlling your iPod®, allowing plenty of mounting options. You can connect other audio options, like a plug-and-play satellite radio, to the rear auxiliary input. The receiver plays discs loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC files, so you can create mix discs long enough to keep you entertained for hours on the water. Get a bigger kick out of your system by adding amps to the two sets of preamp outputs.
Sony includes a wireless remote so your passengers can adjust receiver settings. The CDX-H905iP also works with Sony's marine wired remote controls (see accessories), so you can mount the receiver in a remote location where it's protected from the elements, then control it from the cockpit.
Read our blog post about using the CDX-H905iP in Getting great sound on your boat is easier than you think.
- marine CD receiver with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS/52 peak × 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA and AAC files
- oversized splashproof, flip-down face
- selectable red/blue button illumination
- supplied wireless remote, and works with Sony Marine Commander wired remote models RM-X55M and RM-X11M
- coated circuit boards, UV- and salt-resistant paint
- meets international marine standards for splash resistance
- EQ3 (seven preset tone curves and a 3-band equalizer)
- iPod control and connection built-in, with 3 meter connecting cable, works with optional Sony HD Radio tuner
- inputs: rear auxiliary input
- outputs: two sets of preamp outputs with selectable rear/subwoofer output
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Marine CD receiver with attached 9.75' iPod cable
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X151)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Self-adhesive foam pad
- 2 Hex-head bolts (M3 x 40mm)
- 2 Hex nuts (M3)
- 2 Flat washers (M3)
- 2 Split-lock washers (M3)
- 6 Self-tapping screws (length=1-3/8")
- 6 Speed clips
- Rear support stud
- Rubber bushing
- Installation template
- Metal backstrap
- Operating Instructions
- Installations/Connections sheet
- Warranty Sheet
- European Guarantee Information Document
- Sony Canada warranty sheet
Sony CDX-H905iP reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony CDX-H905iP
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||Not given|
|Key Button Color||Red or Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine Ready: The Sony CDX-H905IP Marine AM/FM CD receiver features an oversized, fold-down faceplate which protects the CD slot from moisture. The splash-proof front panel meets IPx5 standards, and features UV and salt-resistant paint (tested under ASTM G154 and ASTM B117). Other marine features include a conformal coated circuit board and a plastic cover over the top of the chassis to protect against humidity.
Note: The CDX-H905IP is designed exclusively for marine use; it is not made for automotive use.
Drive S: The CDX-H905IP features the Drive S chassis platform. Drive S includes the CD mechanism, audio stages, 12 V power supply, and tuner section. The CD mechanism includes a suspension to resist shocks, a motor that draws less power, and a fast low-current pickup that improves durability and CD playback accuracy. The 52W Peak x 4-channel S-MOSFET Power IC produces clearer, more accurate sound, less distortion, and a higher signal-to-noise ratio than previous designs.
Amplifier Section: The head unit's amplifier is CEA-2006 compliant and rated at 17 watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 Ohms and 1% THD. The unit is also rated at 23.2 watts per channel minimum continuous average power into 4 ohms, 4 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 5% THD. Peak power is rated at 52 watts per channel.
Disc Compatibility: The CD receiver will play CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs. The head unit also supports CD Text.
Compressed Audio File Capability: In addition to audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs, the receiver will play MP3, WMA, and AAC compressed audio files stored on a CD-R or CD-RW. Below are the following requirements and features for compressed audio file playback:
- Compression Format: The unit is compatible with the ISO 9660 level 1 / level 2 format, Joliet/Romeo in the expansion format, and Multi Session.
- The Maximum number of:
- folders or albums is 150 including root and empty folders
- files or tracks and folders contained in a disc: 300 (or less if a folder/file names contain many characters)
- displayable characters for a folder/file name is 32 (Joliet), or 64 (Romeo).
- ID3 display characters: 15, 30, 63, or 126 characters (MP3), 63 characters (WMA), 126 characters (AAC)
- Playback Functions:
- Track Repeat
- Album/Folder Repeat
- Album/Folder Shuffle
- Disc Shuffle
ATRAC CD: This receiver is compatible with ATRAC CD (Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding) which is recorded audio CD data which is compressed to ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus format using authorized software, such as SonicStage 2.0 or later, or SonicStage Simple Burner. The maximum number of folders (groups) is 255, and the maximum number of files (tracks) is 999.
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver's display can display the following information: Track number/Elapsed playing time, Disc/Artist Name, Album/Group Number, Album/Group Name, Track Name, Text Information and Clock.
Note: The Album/Group number is displayed only when the album/group is changed.
iPod Direct Input: The CDX-H905IP is equipped with a dedicated iPod input hardwired to the rear panel. The 9.75' cable has a standard 30-pin iPod dock connector on the end, allowing you to connect, play, and control the iPod from the head unit (the iPod's controls are disabled). The head unit's display will show the Track/Album/Artist name, Track number, Elapsed playing time, or clock. Controls include Track skip +/-, Fast Fwd/Rev, Repeat Track/Album/Artist/Playlist, Shuffle Album/Artist/Playlist/All, and Scan first 10 seconds of each track. The CDX-H905IP is compatible with the following iPod models:
- 3rd Generation iPod (Ver.2.3.0)
- 4th Generation iPod (Ver.3.1.1)
- 5th Generation iPod (Ver.1.2) (no video function)
- iPod photo (Ver.1.2.1) (no photo function)
- iPod mini (Ver.1.4.1)
- 1st Generation iPod nano (Ver.1.3)
- 2nd Generation iPod nano (Ver.1.1)
Notes: While not listed as compatible, full functionality was confirmed for the iPod touch, 3rd Gen iPod nano, and iPod classic. A second iPod cannot be connected using XA-110IP or XA-120IP.
Radio Tuning: The CDX-H905IP allows you to manual tune or seek tune AM/FM stations. In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning. The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each of the following bands - FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2. Other tuner features include:
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
- Switchable Frequency Spacing: You can change the AM frequency interval from 10k to 9k, and the FM frequency interval from 200k to 50k by moving the switch on the bottom of the chassis.
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer2 (DSO2): Sony's Dynamic Soundstage Organizer2 uses proprietary circuitry to induce subtle phase shifts, simulating a sound source that is placed higher than the actual speakers in the vehicle. For example, when the DSO function is used in a vehicle equipped with speakers mounted low in the front doors, it creates virtual speakers in the dash to raise the soundstage. This unit offers three levels of DSO, each with a larger and higher soundstage. You can store the DSO setting for each source.
EQ3 Stage 2: You may select one of the following EQ presets: Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom or Off (flat). For the Custom mode, you can adjust the following bands:
- Low: +10 dB to -10 dB at 60 Hz
- Middle: +10 dB to -10 dB at 1 kHz
- High: +10 dB to -10 dB at 10 kHz
Loudness: This feature allows you to listen to your music clearly at low volume levels by reinforcing the bass and treble. The bass level is increased to +4 dB at 100 Hz while the treble level is increased to +2 dB a 10 kHz.
Preamp Outputs: The CDX-H905IP contains two pair of RCA preamp outputs - a front pair and another pair that can be set for the rear channels or for subwoofer operation. When set to subwoofer, the output becomes non-fading and a low pass filter is activated with a selectable cut-off frequency of 125Hz, 78Hz, or Off. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments.
Rear Panel Auxiliary Input: A pair of rear panel stereo RCA jacks (on a 10" pigtail) is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable cassette, MD or MP3 player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your marine audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu so it doesn't appear as an available source. The head unit comes supplied with rubber caps that can be placed over the RCA jacks when they are not in use to keep them dry.
Optional Auxiliary Input: You can connect an additional auxiliary audio device (such as a portable digital memory player, cassette, MiniDisc, or VCR) when used with the optional XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter. The XA-300 uses the UniLink and Bus Audio inputs on the back of the receiver, and allows you to connect an optional CD/MD changer in addition to the auxiliary audio source.
Mounting Angle: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off automatically after a set amount of time. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Dimmer: The CDX-H905IP feature a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose from either "Dim On", Dim Off" or "Dim Auto". The Automatic Dimmer feature automatically dims the display when you turn your lights on. Note: The Orange/White illumination wire needs to be connected to the vessel's light circuit in order for the automatic dimmer feature to operate properly.
Contrast: This feature adjusts the contrast level of the head unit's display in 7 steps.
Dual Illumination: You can switch the CD receiver's button illumination to Red or Blue. The player's display illumination remains white (background) and black (characters).
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Eject: The CD disc can be ejected with the unit powered off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if the disc is ejected and left on the lip opening of the player for 15 seconds or more.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X151) for easy operation.
Wired Remote Compatibility: In addition to the supplied wireless remote, the receiver can be controlled by an optional wired marine rotary commander (item 158RMX55M or 158RMX11M). Both remotes are water resistant, so they are ideal for use on boats, where a head unit needs to be kept dry, but you need to control it from a damp remote location. The RM-X55M remote features a display which shows source and mode information, satellite radio information, and CD text information.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner (220CNP20UC) and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON1).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1) and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (607SNYSC1). Packaged part number is 700SIRSONY.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the XM Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter--158XA300.
HD Radio Ready: The CDX-H905IP is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (item # 158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Changer Controls: This unit is compatible with Sony UniLink CD/MP3 and MD changers. A maximum of 5 CD changers, 5 CD/MP3 changers, or 5 MD changers may be connected to this receiver. When connecting CD, CD/MP3 and MD changers, you may connect up to a total of 7 changers (but there must not be more than 5 of one type of changer) When connecting more than one changer to this receiver, you must use the Sony XA-C40 source selector.
Mounting: The CDX-H905IP requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Six screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A clear, self-adhesive template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes. You can install the unit within 45-degrees of horizontal.
Note: The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard I-, J-, or E-sized automotive installation.
Dimensions: The receiver has the following dimensions:
- Chassis Width: 7.097"
- Chassis Height: 2.029"
- Chassis Depth: 5.962"
- Nose Width: 7.773"
- Nose Height: 3.576"
- Nose Depth: 1.892"
Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has four mounting holes across the top, above the chassis, and two holes below the chassis for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The screw hole spacing is as follows:
- Top Row:
- Total Width: 6.085"
- Width Between Two Center Holes: 2.868"
- Width Between End Holes and Adjacent Center Holes: Left= 1.675", Right=1.542"
- Bottom Row Width: 5.044"
- Height (Between Top and Bottom Rows): 2.527" and 2.577"