About the Sony HT-CT290
Better sound at a great price
Better sound at a great price
Our customers are loving the value they get for the money with the Sony HT-CT290. This sound bar is a significant improvement over your TV's built-in speakers, and it includes a wireless subwoofer for added bass. Plus it has built-in Bluetooth, so you can stream music to it from the palm of your hand (as long as that hand contains a Bluetooth-enabled device!).
Sony's virtual surround sound technology puts you at the center of the action regardless of your room's size or shape.
Easy, flexible setup
This sleek sound bar connects to your TV with one cable and looks great whether it's wall-mounted or sitting on a stand. And that included wireless sub can be placed vertically or horizontally pretty much anywhere in the room. It just needs to be within 30 feet of the sound bar and in the general vicinity of a power outlet.
Virtual surround sound that fits your space
The HT-CT290 incorporates some cool Sony technologies for improved sound quality. The one that catches my eye the most is S-Force® PRO Front Surround, which uses advanced digital sound processing to generate rear effects without having to reflect sound off your side walls. That means you can achieve virtual surround sound in rooms of almost any size or shape. As someone with an oddly-shaped living room, I think that sounds very compelling, indeed!
- 2.1-channel system
- 15 watts x 2 RMS built-in amplifier
- two full-range drivers
- slim design is ideal for wall-mounting beneath a flat-panel TV or placing on a TV stand
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music playback from compatible smartphones, tablets, music players, and computers
- built-in Dolby® Digital decoding
- Sony's S-Force® PRO Front Surround technology offers an immersive listening experience
- sound modes for music, movies, and nighttime
- "voice" mode raises dialogue levels
- 35-3/8"W x 2-1/16"H x 3-7/16"D
- weight: 5.9 lbs.
- 50-watt RMS built-in amplifier
- front-firing 5-1/8" cone woofer
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- stands vertically or sits horizontally for flexible placement options
- subwoofer tone and volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 6-3/4"W x 13-7/16"H x 14-3/8"D (vertical)
- weight: 14.3 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- HDMI output with Audio Return Channel for single-cable connection to compatible TVs
- no 3D video pass-through
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- USB port for connecting a thumb drive
- wall-mount template included
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HTCT290
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (SA-CT290)
- Wireless powered sub (SA-WCT290)
- Remote control (RMT-AH300U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- 4 Self-adhesive pads
- Operation Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Wall-Mount Template
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
Sony HT-CT290 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony HT-CT290
Features & specs
|Enclosure||Sealed (Bar),Ported (Sub)|
|Pieces in System||2|
|Midrange||1.625" x 4" Cone (2)|
|Subwoofer Driver||5.125" Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||No|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in (4.2)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||30|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||50|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/16H x 35-3/8W x 3-7/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||5.9 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||13-7/16H x 6-3/4W x 14-3/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||14.3 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Sony HT-CT290's soundbar speaker houses two full-range, 1.625" x 4" cone drivers in an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure, powered by a 15 watt RMS (30 watt Peak) x 2-channel S-Master digital amplifier. The soundbar speaker acts as your home theater system's front and center speakers as well as giving you the effect that you have rear speakers positioned behind you.
Wireless Powered Sub: The Sony HT-CT290 wireless powered sub is equipped with a front-firing 5.125" woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure with front-firing port, powered by a built-in 50W RMS (100W Peak) S-Master digital amplifier. The wireless powered subwoofer gets its signal from the system's soundbar wirelessly, via 5.8GHZ RF wireless transmission (up to 30'). You can adjust the level of the powered sub independently from the system's main volume.
Note: You can specify the wireless connection between the soundbar and the subwoofer using the Secure Link function. This function can help prevent interference if you use multiple wireless products.
Sony Technologies: The HT-CT290 incorporates three Sony technologies to give you clear virtual surround sound without distortion.
- S-Master Digital Amplifier: Enjoy the best of digital audio with the S-Master digital amplifier. Using a simplified, full digital signal path, the S-Master amplifier reproduces digital audio signals without the multiple analog stages required by conventional amplifiers. The result is not just more power, but significantly less distortion from heat build-up.
- S-Force Pro Front Surround: Enjoy immersive, cinematic audio and virtual surround sound in your room with S-Force Pro Front Surround, a technology that reproduces a virtual surround acoustic field from only two front speakers. S-Force Pro Front Surround provides realistic surround sound from this two-piece home theater system. Unlike other "virtual surround" technologies, rear sound is generated from the soundbar speaker using sophisticated digital sound processing and does not need to be bounced off of side walls. No matter what the size or shape of the room or what is on the wall, it is possible to hear sounds from behind you without needing to place speakers behind you.
- ClearAudio+: Unique to Sony, ClearAudio+ automatically adjusts sound settings for an enriching listening experience. By bringing together expertise in digital signal processing technologies, ClearAudio+ is able to optimize audio formats to deliver a consistently clear, high-quality sound.
Audio Modes: The HT-CT290 soundbar system offers various audio modes to customize your music or movie listening experience.
- Movie: Audio is played back with surround effects that are realistic and powerful, perfect for movies.
- Music: Audio is optimized for listening to music and music videos.
- Voice: With Voice mode, you'll be sure to hear every whisper and character nuance of the dialog compared to other sounds in the scene for a dynamic experience.
- Night: Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels. When you turn the system off, the Night mode will also turn off.
DRC (Dynamic Range Control): A Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range is compressed making it easier to hear at lower volume levels.
HDMI ARC Output: The Sony HT-CT290 features one HDMI ARC output to connect the soundbar to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The HT-CT290's HDMI ARC output allows audio from your TV to be sent through the soundbar system. The HDMI ARC output supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) and 2ch PCM.
Note: Some televisions will only pass 2ch PCM through the ARC-enabled HDMI input from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, and will only pass Dolby Digital via the TV's built-in tuner, network apps, or USB.
Digital Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Sony HT-CT290 soundbar system features an optical digital input (toslink) for connecting your television without an HDMI ARC output or other AV component, like a Blu-ray player or satellite receiver/cable box. The input supports Dolby Digital and 2ch PCM audio signals.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of some newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray player or satellite/cable box).
USB-A Port: The Sony HT-CT290 offers a USB-A port for connection of a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, like a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The soundbar system's USB-A port supports MP3, WMA, and WAV music playback from compatible USB MSC devices formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. The unit can recognize up to 200 music folders and up to 200 music files per folder. The USB-A port can also be used to charge your portable digital audio player.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Sony HT-CT290 features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.2 with support for A2DP 1.2 & AVRCP 1.6) which allows you to wirelessly stream and control music on your Bluetooth-enabled device through the soundbar system. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop and more to the Sony HT-CT290.
- Music Playback Control: You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) using the included remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enabled device. There is no song/artist information display on the speaker system or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
- Multi-Device Pairing: The HT-CT290 can wirelessly pair with up to 10 Bluetooth-enabled devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. Once paired, the HT-CT290 speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony HT-CT290.
SongPal Remote App (via Bluetooth): By downloading Sony's free SongPal remote app (from Apple's App Store or Google Play), you can use your Apple iOS (9.0+) or Android (4.4+) device to control the HT-CT290 system via Bluetooth. From the SongPal remote app, you can select input sources, switch to other entertainment apps, and customize sound settings of the soundbar speaker system. You can even use the SongPal Remote app to stream stored music and music apps from your Apple iOS or Android device to the Sony HT-CT290 system.
Mounting Options: The ultra-slim soundbar speaker is designed to fit simply in front of your TV without blocking the screen or interfering with IR receivers. Its slim profile also lends itself well to wall-mounting using the rear-mounted keyhole slots (spaced 28.5" apart). The subwoofer is wireless and compact, giving you more flexibility when space is at a premium. The wireless powered sub can be placed virtually anywhere in your room (up to 30'), and can be mounted vertically or horizontally.
IR Remote The Sony HT-CT290 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system.
HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync): HDMI Control allows you to easily manage and operate an HDMI Control compatible television with a single remote, when the soundbar and TV are connected via HDMI. By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following ways:
- One-Touch-Play: The TV and soundbar system are turned on at the same time for immediate playback.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the soundbar speaker.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the soundbar and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub will both need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. Each of them are fitted with an attached 5.5' AC power cord.
Auto Standby: When there is no audio signal and you do not operate the soundbar system for approximately 20 minutes, the system will enter standby mode automatically.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked