About the Sony HT-G700
A heightened soundstage
A heightened soundstage
Traditionally the overhead effects of Atmos and DTS:X have been achieved with either in-ceiling speakers or upward-firing speakers that reflect sound back down to you. But if you want an easy, streamlined way to experience heightened surround sound, the HT-G700 is a great option. It uses digital processing — both DTS Virtual:X and Sony's own proprietary Vertical Surround Engine — to simulate those engaging height effects using only the sound bar's three front-firing speakers.
Sony's Vertical Surround Engine uses digital processing to simulate overhead effects.
Dial in the right sound for you
Sometimes it's difficult to hear dialogue in shows and movies over the background noise. Sony's HT-G700 can help with that. In addition to a dedicated center channel, it has a "voice" mode that brings speech to the forefront so that you don't have to rewind your show to follow the plot.
The remote has some other cool options, including the "Immersive AE" button that converts stereo audio signals into more immersive surround sound. There's also independent volume control for the subwoofer.
The HT-G700 has 4K video pass-through with support for Dolby Vision™, HLG, and HDR10, so you can get rich sound and picture quality with simple HDMI connections — one from your 4K video source to your sound bar and then one from your sound bar to your TV. It also supports eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), so it can receive uncompromised audio signals — like Dolby Atmos — from an eARC-equipped TV.
And Bluetooth® is built-in, so you can wirelessly stream your favorite audio content right from your mobile device.
- 3-channel sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- creates virtual 7.1.2-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- Atmos and DTS:X decoding for heightened, three-dimensional soundstage
- click "Immersive AE" (Audio Enhancement) button on remote control to convert stereo audio signals into immersive surround sound
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- allows pass-through of 4K and HDR content
- supports Dolby Vision™, HLG, and HDR10 formats
- sound modes and effects include: auto, standard surround, cinema, music, night, and voice
- 3 built-in speakers
- includes center channel for clear dialogue
- built-in Dolby® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and Atmos
- supports DTS, DTS-HD, and DTS:X
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing for simulated object-based surround sound
- Sony's S-Force® PRO/Vertical Surround Engine offers an immersive listening experience
- 38-5/8"W x 2-9/16"H x 4-9/16"D
- weight: 7.8 lbs.
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for flexible placement options
- AC power required, cord included
- independent subwoofer volume control (via remote)
- 7-5/8"W x 15-1/4"H x 17-3/8"D
- weight: 16.6 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output (one cable included)
- supports 4K/HDR video
- supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) or Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- optical digital audio input
- connect to compatible TVs with Bluetooth
- total system power: 400 watts
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HTG700
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (SA-G700)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (SA-WG700)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (RMT-AH507U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Wall Mount Template
- Warranty Sheet
- Online Product Registration Sheet
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Sony HT-G700 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony HT-G700
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1|
|Virtual Surround||S-Force Pro Vertical|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Midrange||3.9375" x 1.75" (3)|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.5" Cone|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||105|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Control by App||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 5.0|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-9/16H x 38-5/8W x 4-9/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.8 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-1/4H x 7-5/8W x 17-3/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||16.6 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Active Soundbar: The Sony HT-G700 is a 3.1ch Dolby Atmos/DTS:X soundbar that acts as your home theater system's front and center speakers, while utilizing two proprietary Sony technologies (S-Force Pro Front Surround & Vertical Surround Engine) to create virtual rear and height speakers for an immersive surround sound experience. A dedicated center speaker ensures that vocals and dialogue can be clearly heard in movie and music soundtracks. The soundbar speaker houses three full-range 3.9375" x 1.75" oval cone drivers in an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure powered by a 35 watt x 3-channel S-Master digital amplifier for clear and dynamic sound.
- S-Force Pro Front Surround: Enjoy immersive, cinematic audio and virtual surround sound in your room with S-Force Pro Front Surround, a technology that reproduces a virtual surround acoustic field from only two front speakers. S-Force Pro Front Surround provides realistic surround sound from this two-piece home theater system. Unlike other "virtual surround" technologies, rear sound is generated from the soundbar speaker using sophisticated digital sound processing and does not need to be bounced off of side walls. No matter what the size or shape of the room or what is on the wall, it is possible to hear sounds from behind you without needing to place speakers behind you.
- Vertical Surround Engine: Vertical Surround Engine, Sony's latest surround technology, lets you enjoy the thrill of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X without ceiling-facing or overhead speakers. No matter what type of room you're in, the soundbar's two front speakers reproduce "vertical" audio, creating virtual surround sound that seems to come from all around you. The HT-G700's advanced digital signal processing can even upconvert non Dolby Atmos and DTS:X content to an immersive surround sound effect.
Note: The main listening position should be between 8' to 12' from the soundbar speaker for optimum virtual surround sound performance.
Wireless Powered Sub: The included wireless powered subwoofer features a front-firing 6.5" woofer inside a bass reflex enclosure with a front-firing port that is powered by a built-in 100W amplifier for deep, dynamic bass response. You can even increase or decrease the wireless powered sub's volume level independent from the system's overall volume level. The powered subwoofer receives its LFE audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via RF (5GHz) and has a range of approximately 30''.
Digital Surround Sound Formats: The Sony HT-G700 system supports the following multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI & optical digital inputs.
|Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital |
DTS:X, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS
|PCM||2ch / 5.1ch / 7.1ch|
|DSD||2ch / 5.1ch|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
Immevsive Audio Enhancement (AE): The HT-G700's Immersive Audio Enhancement (AE) function can upconvert non Dolby Atmos and DTS:X content to three-dimensional surround sound utilizing Dolby Speaker Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X.
- Dolby Speaker Virtualizer: Dolby Speaker Virtualizer enhances the surround and overhead effects without the use of height and overhead speakers to create an immersive and enveloping virtual surround effect. Dolby Speaker Virutalizer can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks).
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X creates spacious 3D sound (including the sensation of height and surround) without the need for in-ceiling or upward-firing speakers. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
Sound Modes: The Sony HT-G700 offers a variety of Sound modes for enhanced movie and music enjoyment. Choose between Auto, Standard, Cinema, or Music.
- Auto: The appropriate Sound mode is automatically selected from Standard, Cinema, or Music.
- Standard: The Standard mode delivers 2ch stereo playback for your TV shows.
- Cinema: The Cinema mode lets you feel and hear the action all around you as sound travels behind you and draws you into the movie experience.
- Music: The Music mode lets you hear all the vividness and richness of your favorite music in fine detail.
Voice & Night Modes: The HT-G700 incorporates two Sound Effect modes - Voice & Night. With Voice mode, you'll be sure to hear every whisper and character nuance of the dialog compared to other sounds in the scene for a dynamic experience. Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels.
AV Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large TV or a projection screen. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-120ms (in 40 ms increments).
Mounting Options: The soundbar can simply be placed on a shelf or wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included). The wireless powered subwoofer can be placed upright by your TV stand, end-table, or practically anwhere in the room (up to 30').
HDMI 2.0: The Sony HT-G700 is equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI/eARC 2.0 output to connect your TV, Blu-ray player, cable/satellite receiver, and/or game console. The HDMI input and output support the latest HDMI 2.0 specifications - including 4K pass-through, HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 color sub sampling, BT.2020 wide color space, & HDR (high dynamic range) video.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the HT-G700 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor. It will also pass a 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal.
- HDCP 2.3: HDCP 2.3 is supported by the soundbar system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.3 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors. The HT-G700 supports the following HDR formats - HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision.
- 4:4:4 Color Sub sampling: The system's HDMI jacks support RGB, Cyber 4:4:4 color sub sampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as Cyber 4:2:2 and Cyber 4:2:0 color sub sampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and Chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Retain Channel): Along with standard ARC (Audio Return Channel), the soundbar system supports eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). ARC and eARC allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- eARC will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD), DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- ARC is limited to Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS ES, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most TVs only support ARC.
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar system directly; and then connect the system's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Optical Digital: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the HT-G700 offers an optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch), DTS (up to 5.1ch), and PCM (up to 2ch) audio signals. The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Note: The Sony HT-G700 does not feature any analog audio inputs.
Bluetooth 5.0: The Sony HT-G700 soundbar speaker system features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and wireless TV connectivity. You can pair up to nine devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 30'.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the Sony soundbar system. In addition to the standard SBC Bluetooth codec, the system is also compatible with AAC for higher-quality playback from Apple iOS devices. You'll continue to control your wirelessly streamed audio and view song/artist/album information from your Bluetooth source device.
- Wireless TV Connectivity: You can even setup your Bluetooth-enabled TV to stream its audio wirelessly to the soundbar speaker system. Audio streamed from a Bluetooth-enabled TV will be limited to 2ch PCM without support for Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. During a wireless Bluetooth connection, you can use the TV's remote or the soundbar's remote to raise and lower the volume.
- The HT-G700 does not support Bluetooth handsfree communication (HFP) for making and answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony system.
AC Power: The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub will both need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Each of them come with a detachable 5' AC power cord.
IR Remote w/ Pass-Through: The Sony HT-G700 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system. With many other soundbar systems, placing the soundbar speaker on your TV stand can be problematic and block the TV's remote control sensor, forcing you to stand up and angle your remote to control your TV. The HT-G700's soundbar speaker features an IR repeater pass-through which allows your TV remote control commands to pass-through the front of the soundbar to the TV behind it, eliminating this problem.
HDMI Control: HDMI Control allows you to easily manage and operate an HDMI Control compatible television and other audio/video components with a single remote, when all components are connected via HDMI. By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following ways -
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a Blu-ray Disc Player, the soundbar speaker system and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the soundbar speaker system.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the soundbar system and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access the HT-G700's HDMI input and HDMI output through your TV without having to power on the system.
Front-Panel Display: The soundbar's front-panel display will indicated source selection, volume level, and menu settings. The front-panel display does not support song/artist/album information. You can set the front-panel display's dimmer to Bright, Dark, or Off.
Auto Standby: The soundbar speaker system entering standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 20 minutes and the system is not receiving an input signal
16 questions already asked