About the Sony HVL-F45RM
A compact, high-performance flash for your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera
A compact, high-performance flash for your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera
The Sony HVL-F45RM is a fast, versatile flash that will help you add pro-quality lighting to photos taken with your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera and lenses. The flash head tilts up to 150 degrees upward so you can bounce light off nearby surfaces to soften harsh shadows. It also rotates 180 degrees right and left for greater bounce versatility.
Radio control adds extra flexibility
Wireless radio control gives you extra freedom in positioning your flash off-camera without relying on line-of-sight. The HVL-F45RM can be used as a commander or receiver in a multi-flash setup. Connect up to 15 compatible flashes or receivers in up to five groups.
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- tilts 150 degrees upward and 8 degrees downward
- rotates 180 degrees left and 180 degrees right
- wireless radio control allows versatile shooting and flash placement
- built-in retractable wide panel and bounce sheet
- covers up to 45 feet at ISO 100 with 105mm lens
- dust- and moisture-resistant design
- uses four AA batteries (not included)
- recycle time: 2.5 seconds
- fires 200+ times per battery charge
- includes case and stand
- 2-3/4"W x 4-1/2"H x 3-1/2"D
- weight: 11.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HVLF45RM
What's in the box:
- Flash unit
- Flash connector protection cap (installed)
- Mini Stand
- Vinyl storage pouch
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Sheet (US)
- Warranty Sheet (Canada)
Sony HVL-F45RM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony HVL-F45RM
Overview: The Sony HVL-F45RM is a wireless compact flash unit that supports multi-flash photography that is increasingly becoming more common in professional photography. The flash can be used with both radio (2.4 GHz) and optical wireless flash systems. It recycles in as little as 2.5 seconds, and has a powerful Guide Number of 45. It is designed to be used with Sony's Interchangeable Lens (mirrorless) cameras. The flash comes with a mini-stand, and a cloth storage pouch.
Compatibility: The HVL-F45RM electronic flash is designed for use with Sony alpha-series (α-series) digital cameras equipped with the Multi Interface Shoe. The flash unit is somewhat smaller than the HVL-F60M and HVL-F43M models to better fit the α-series E-mount cameras. The HVL-F45RM is also compatible with the optional FA-WRC1M Radio Commander and FA-WRR1 Radio Receiver for controlling multiple flash units and groups.
Mounting: The unit fits into the Multi Interface Shoe found on new Sony α-series digital still cameras and camcorders. With the optional ADP-AMA Auto-lock Shoe Adapter, you can use the HVL-F45RM on Sony cameras with the Auto-lock Accessory Shoe.
LCD Control Panel: The flash unit has a backlit 1-3/4" (diagonal) LCD control panel that indicates the status and settings of the flash unit.
Flash Modes: The HVL-F45RM offers the following flash modes:
- TTL (Through the Lens): The flash unit measures the amount of light coming through the lens and automatically adjusts the flash power level. The P-TTL mode adds a pre-flash to TTL metering.
- Manual: The flash power level is fixed, regardless of the brightness of the subject or the camera setting. The flash power level can be manually adjusted.
- Multi: You can specify the number of repetition in multiple flash in multiple flash.
- Group: This mode lets you use the flash with other flash units for radio wireless flash.
- Flash Off: Disables the flash.
Bounce Flash: The HVL-F45RM's flash head can be tilted (up/down) from -8° to 150° or swiveled (left/right) in either direction from 0° to 180° to illuminate your subject with reflected light instead of direct light. Reflected light reduces the intensity of the shadows, and produces a softer light on the subject. There are stop positions at 30°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°, 120°, 150°, and 180° (swivel only). You should consider the flash range, focal length of the lens, and distance to the reflective surface, when determining the bounce angle. When photographing objects from a close distance (2.3' to 3.28'), you should tilt the flash slightly downward (-8°) for accurate illumination.
Flash Coverage (Zoom): The flash unit can automatically switch the flash coverage to cover a range of focal lengths from 24mm to 105mm. If desired, you can manually set the flash coverage regardless of the focal length of the lens you're using. The coverage can be manually set to 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, or 105mm. The flash coverage is determined according to the image sensor size (APS-C/35mm format) of the camera.
Wide Panel: The HVL-F45RM has a built-in wide panel that can be pulled out when needed to cover focal lengths from 24mm to 15mm. This prevents having darker areas on the periphery of the photos because of the difference in light intensity. The wide panel is stored in the area above the flash tube when not in use.
Bounce Sheet: When shooting portraits, the built-in bounce sheet creates a highlight in the subject's eyes, making the subject look more vibrant. The bounce sheet pulls out when you pull out the wide panel. You can then push back the wide panel to use the bounce sheet. The bounce angle should be set to 90° upwards.
Flash Compensation: When using a flash mode that supports TTL (through-the-lens) metering, the flash intensity is automatically adjusted. You can correct the automatically adjusted flash using Flash Compensation. You can set the Flash Compensation values between -3.0 and +3.0 in steps of 0.5 or 0.3 EV.
Multiple Flash: In Manual mode, you can set the unit to flash multiple times while the shutter is open. Multiple flash allows motion of the subject to be captured in a single photograph for later analysis. You will need to set the flash frequency (1 to 100 Hz), the number of flashes (2 to 100), and power level (1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, or 1/128).
High-speed Sync: High-speed Sync (HSS) eliminates the restrictions of flash sync speed and enables the flash to be used throughout the entire shutter speed range of the camera. This allows you to shoot with a wide aperture, leaving the background out of focus, and accentuating the front subject. The HSS feature can be turned on or off in the Custom Settings.
Auto White Balance: White balance is automatically adjusted on the camera, based on the color temperature information at the time of the flash firing. The camera should be set to Auto White Balance or Flash White Balance, while the flash unit should be attached to the unit and in the TTL flash mode.
Firmware Updates: The unit has a Multi/Micro USB port that allows you to receive firmware updates when connected to a PC.
Wireless Operation: The HVL-F45RM can be used for wireless flash photography in three possible ways:
- Off Camera Flash: The HVL-F45RM is used as an off-camera flash unit, controlled by the camera's built-in flash, or another external flash unit. The included mini-stand can be used to hold the flash, allowing you to place it on a table top or tripod.
- Controller: The HVL-F45RM is used as the controller, and other flashes as the off-camera flashes.
- Multiple Wireless Flash: Using the HVL-F45RM as the controller and a camera that supports lighting ratio control, you can control a group of off-camera flash units, while controlling the lighting ratio between a maximum of 5 groups.
Test Flash: The Test button illuminates amber when the flash is charged and ready to fire. You can try a test-flash before shooting to check the light level or check shadows.
Built-in LED Light: In addition to the flash, the F45RM has a built-in LED light for shooting video. The front-mounted white LED creates natural light and shadows, letting you shoot movies indoors or in poorly-lighted areas. The LED has a maximum intensity of approximately 400 lx at 1/2 meters (1' 7-3/4") or 100 lx at 1 meter (3' 3-3/8"). You can adjust the brightness to one of ten levels.
AF Illuminator: The HVL-F45RM has a built-in AF Illuminator that will illuminate when the camera's shutter button is pressed halfway down for auto focus, and the light on the subject is low. The AF Illuminator will even operate when the flash is set to No Flash mode. The camera's AF Illuminator will not operate when the flash's AF Illuminator is on. The AF Illuminator's range is 1.64' to 19.68'.
Custom Settings: You can assign your favorite functions to some of the controls on the rear control panel. Assignable functions include: Flash Mode, Power Level, Flash Coverage (zoom), Commander/Control Unit, HSS, Group Flash Mode, LED Light on/off, Memory Set/Recall, Wireless Mode, Radio Controlled channel, and Optical Controlled channel. The Direction buttons, Center button, and the Control Wheel are used to store and recall the custom settings.
Power Requirements: The HVL-F45RM is powered by four Alkaline or Ni-MH "AA" rechargeable batteries (not supplied). Fresh alkaline batteries provide enough power for more than 210 flashes. Fully-charged Ni-MH batteries (2100mAh) can power approximately 270 flashes or more. The batteries will also support continuous lighting of the LED light for approximately 4 hours. A battery indicator on the data panel lets you know the status of the battery charge.
Overheat Protection: The flash has Overheat Protection that suspends operation until the temperature of the unit falls back to normal. When overheating is detected, the Overheat Indicator on the LCD panel will illuminate. You should turn off the flash unit for approximately 10 minutes to allow the unit to cool down.
- Continuous Flash: 40 flashes at 10 flashes per second
- Guide Number: 45
- Flash at 0° (direct--no bounce): Width 2.738", Height 4.875", Depth 3.5"
- Flash at 90° (bounce straight up): Width 2.738", Height 6.1875", Depth 2.625"
- Weight: 11.2 ounces (excluding batteries)
The Sony HVL-F45RM replaces these items
- tilts 105 degrees upward and 8 degrees downward to enable wide range of bounce effects
- pivots left and right 90 degrees for quick transition between horizontal and vertical camera orientation
- Wireless Ratio Control allows remote control of multiple flashes for complex shots