About the Sony HVL-F60M
Today's photographers or should I say, digital imaging specialists, because practically every camera also captures excellent video these days have been waiting for this Sony HVL-F60M flash unit for a long while. Why? Well, finally, they've put a high-capability flash and a versatile LED video light in the same package, enabling today's multi-threat documenters of life to have the right illumination for any situation. The 'F60M is an excellent, high-intensity flash (guide number 60), with pro-level enhancements like wireless control of three groups of flashes, multiple flash firing during exposure (stroboscopic control), and even a built-in slide-out bounce sheet that helps you model and soften the light hitting the subject.
In addition, the HVL-F60M also features a high-speed synchronization mode, that enables the flash to sync with shutter speeds from 1/500 to 1/4000 of a second. This is ideal for capturing fast-moving subjects in low light. And an easy-to-see, large dot-matrix LCD display helps keep you informed on the flash's status at any time.
- compatible with select Sony hybrid and digital SLR cameras
- LED video light feature allows you to switch between flash for stills and continuous light for movie mode
- maximum luminance of 1200lux/(0.5m)
- illuminating distance: approximately 6-1/2 feet at ISO3200 - f/5.6
- Quick Shift Bounce system allows flash head to pivot up to 90° clockwise or counter-clockwise for bounce flash when shooting vertically
- tilt and swivel flash head for bounce flash (head tilts up to 150° up and back or 10° down)
- approximate guide number at ISO 100: 60 (at 105mm lens focal setting)
- stroboscopic mode allows flash to fire multiple times during one exposure
- flash head zooms automatically to match the shooting angle for optimum flash coverage
- built-in diffuser panel for wide-angle coverage to a focal length of 15mm
- manual mode
- slide-out bounce sheet enables you to incorporate bounced flash lighting into portraits and close-ups
- wireless operation for creative off-camera lighting
- high-speed sync for more versatile exposure control with high shutter speeds
- built-in autofocus illuminator
- uses 4 "AA" batteries (not included)
- weight: 15.6 oz. (without batteries)
- 3-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 3-13/16"D
- soft carry case included
- mini-stand included for off-camera wireless use
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HVLF60M
What's in the box:
- Electronic flash unit with built-in LED light
- Zippered carrying case
- Folding stand
- ADP-AMA Shoe Adapter
- Cloth drawstring pouch for shoe adapter
- Bounce Adapter for Flash
- Storage case for bounce adapter
- Amber color conversion filter for LED light
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre)
- Warranty Sheet (US)
- Warranty Sheet (Canada)
- Graphic Instructions on mounting the Bounce Adapter
Sony HVL-F60M reviews
This is Sony's best flash, period. The cycle time is extremely fast. Most of the time I use it in TTL mode, and the results are amazing.
Pros: Super fast cycle time, various bounce modes
Cons: A bit bulky
0 of 0 found this helpful
More details on the Sony HVL-F60M
Compatibility: The Sony HVL-F60M electronic flash is designed for use with Sony alpha-series (α-series) digital cameras equipped with the new Multi Interface Shoe. Current compatible models (as of November 2012) include: SLT-A99 and NEX-6. It is also compatible with the new Cybershot RX1 digital camera, and the new NEX-VG900 and NEX-VG30 interchangeable lens HD camcorders.
Mounting: The unit fits into the Multi Interface Shoe found on new Sony α-series digital still cameras and camcorders (as of Fall 2012). With the included ADP-AMA shoe adapter, you can use the HVL-F60M on Sony cameras with the Auto-lock Accessory Shoe.
Built-in LED Light: In addition to the flash, the F60M has a built-in LED light for shooting video. When you're ready to shoot videos, simply raise the angle of the flash head to 90° (straight up) and press the LED light power button. The LED also enables you to check the light and shadow conditions before shooting still images or videos. The LED has a maximum luminance of 1200 lux, with an illuminating distance of approximately 6.5'.
High Illumination Output: The HVL-F60M incorporates high illumination output in a compact lightweight body, with effective range greater than 90 feet (28m). It has a guide number of 60 (meters, ISO100, 105mm).
Recycling Time: The HVL-F60M has a fast recycling time of 0.1-3.5 seconds with alkaline batteries, and 0.1-2.6 seconds with Ni-MH batteries.
Quick Navi/LCD: The F60M features Quick Navi control, the intuitive User Interface that allows you to quickly locate and change settings. The large dot-matrix LCD is easy to see, making it easy to configure the flash for a variety of shooting situations.
Flash Modes: The Sony HVL-F60M features the following Flash Modes:
- TTL: Flashes according to information from the camera. "TTL Auto" appears in the display when the camera is set to Auto Flash and the camera determines whether or not to trigger. "TTL" appears when the camera is set to Fill Flash, and the flash will trigger each time the shutter release is pressed.
- Manual: Flashes according to the settings on the flash.
- Multiple Flash: Flash unit is triggered a number of times while the shutter is open.
- Wireless (Remote): Flash unit is triggered wirelessly as an off-camera (remote) flash.
- Wireless (Control): Flash unit is triggered wirelessly as the controller.
- Memory 1/Memory 2: You can recall settings saved in Memory 1 or Memory 2.
- Flash Off: Flash unit does not fire.
Zoom Flash: The HVL-F60M automatically adjusts flash for focal-length settings from 24mm to 105mm. You can pull out the built-in wide panel to extend wide-angle coverage from 15mm to less than 24mm. The flash coverage can be manually set to 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, or 105mm, if desired.
Auto Zoom Control: The auto zoom coverage of the HVL-F60M is automatically optimized for the APS-C size or 35mm full-frame size of the image sensor found in Sony alpha-series cameras (except DSLR-A100).
High-Speed Sync: High-speed sync (HSS) allows you to use the flash throughout the entire shutter speed range of the camera, instead of being restricted to a narrow shutter speed range. You can turn the HSS feature on or off in the Custom Settings menu.
Quick Shift Bounce: The innovative "Quick Shift Bounce" system allows the HVL-F60M to orbit 90 degrees left and right, allowing you to maintain horizontal light distribution even when shooting vertically. In addition to pivoting side-to-side, the flash unit can also tilt down 10° (for close-up photography) or back 150°. The HVL-F60M also features a slide-out bounce sheet built into the flash head, and can be used in portraits and other bounced light shots to direct light at a subject's pupils to deliver more lively expression.
Bounce Adapter: The supplied bounce adapter lets you diffuse the light from the flash over a wider range, producing a softer light and reducing shadows. The adapter fits directly over the flash head and snaps into place.
Multiple Flash: In the Multiple Flash mode, the flash is triggered a number of times while the shutter is open. It allows you to capture stroboscopic images where moving objects are frozen several times in the frame. The flash frequency can be set between 1 and 100 per second, the number of flashes can be set between 2 and 100, and the power level from 1/8 to 1/256.
Modeling Light Capability: Modeling light capability allows the HVL-F60M to pulse, helping photographers determine where shadows will fall before taking the picture, so they can alter lighting or subject positioning as necessary.
AF Illuminator: In low-light or when subject contrast is low, when the shutter button is pressed partway down for Auto Focus, the red lamp on the front of the flash unit will light. This is the AF illuminator used as an aid during Auto Focus. The AF Illuminator will operate up to 32' 9" in the center, and 9' 10" in peripheral areas.
Auto WB Control: Auto White Balance compensation allows for more accurate white balance in flash photography sending color temperature information from the HVL-F60M to the camera, where it is incorporated into the camera's white balance settings (except the DSLR-A100).
ADI Flash Metering: ADI (Advanced Distance Integration) metering capability enables the HVL-F60M to work more effectively with lenses equipped with distance encoders, combining TTL (through-the-lens) flash metering with guide number control calculated automatically according to the distance to the subject, the ambient light and the pre-flash reflectivity of the subject.
Wireless Operation: The HVL-F60M can be used for wireless flash photography, either as a controller (emitting the control light) or as an off-camera flash (flash that is mounted separately from the camera). When used off-camera, the flash can be mounted to the supplied mini-stand. There are three wireless flash photography modes:
- Off-camera Flash: The camera's built-in flash is the controller and the HVL-F60M is the off-camera flash.
- Controller: The HVL-F60M is the controller and another flash is the off-camera flash.
- Multiple: Using the HVL-F60M as the controller, a camera that supports lighting ratio control can group a number of off-camera flashes and control the lighting ratio.
Note: If another wireless flash is being used nearby, you can change the infrared channel to prevent the flash from being set off by the light signal from the flash of another camera.
Power Requirements: The HVL-F60M is powered by four Alkaline or Ni-MH "AA" rechargeable batteries (not supplied). The LCD display has a battery power indicator to alert you when the batteries are becoming weak.
Power Save: When your camera or this flash unit is not used for 3 minutes, the power switches off and display panel indicators go out automatically to save battery power. During wireless flash photography, the flash unit changes to power save mode after 60 minutes.
Connections: The flash has two connections for optional accessories:
- Off-Camera Cable: You can operate the flash unit separate from the camera with an optional Off-Camera Cable (FA-CC1AM). You can also connect additional flash units to the F60M if the additional units have an accessory terminal.
- External Battery Adapter: With the optional External Battery Adapter (FA-EB1AM) you can connect the flash to an external power supply.
Overheat Indicator: The flash has an Overheat Indicator that will warn you when overheating is detected. Flash operation is suspended until the temperature of the unit falls back to normal. You can also manually turn off the flash unit for approximately 10 minutes to allow the unit to cool down.