About the Sony VPL-HW40ES
A different path to a big, beautiful picture
A different path to a big, beautiful picture
Before you drop a bundle on a 70"-plus TV, you might want to consider a home theater projector. Offering a compelling combination of picture quality, versatility and value, Sony's VPL-HW40ES can make every movie night at your house an immersive experience. One of this projector's most appealing features is that it produces a bright, sharp, natural-looking picture straight out of the box.
Several years ago, when I moved up to a projector in my home theater, the model I chose was a Sony that's very similar to the VPL-HW40ES. I still have it and use it for all my movie and concert viewing. It's one of the best A/V equipment purchases I've ever made.
Cinematic color and contrast
The VPL-HW40ES uses three SXRD image chips — one each for red, green, and blue — to produce extraordinarily rich, solid colors. SXRD is Sony's best projection technology, and this is their lowest-priced projector ever to include it.
Getting an accurate picture is easy: Simply choose the Reference picture preset. It provides spot-on color and grayscale performance, and offers sufficient brightness that you won't feel like you're limited to viewing in a pitch-black "man-cave."
There's also a picture setting optimized for watching black-and-white movies. And if you're a gamer, you'll love the Game mode. It boosts the brightness and drastically reduces input lag time, so you won't get bogged down in the action due to slow video processing. If you like to tweak picture controls, the Real Color Processing color management system makes it easy to fine-tune specific colors and hues without affecting skin tones.
Flexible setup for a variety of rooms
With its standard-throw lens, the VPL-HW40ES is a smart choice for medium- and larger-sized rooms. You can place it on a table, or ceiling-mount it with an optional bracket. The two "lens shift" dials let you adjust the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. The super-quiet cooling fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, making this projector a smart choice for smaller rooms, too.
- high-definition home theater projector
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 3 SXRD panels (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- 3D-ready projector with built-in IR emitter (Sony active 3D glasses sold separately)
- Motionflow anti-blur technology for improved motion clarity and reduced 3D crosstalk
- panel shift fine convergence adjustment
- light output: 1700 ANSI lumens
- Reality Creation super resolution processing
- Real Color Processing color management system
- 1.6X manual zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (manual, horizontal and vertical)
- vertical keystone correction
- 200-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- whisper-quiet cooling fan (21 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- BRAVIA Theatre Sync simplifies remote control for compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
Connections and Dimensions
- 4 video inputs, including:
- 2 HDMI
- 1 component video
- 1 PC input
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- detachable power cord
- 16-1/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 18-3/8"D
- weight: 22.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: front projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
- MFR # VPLHW40ES
What's in the box:
- Video front projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ25)
- Lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Manual
- Limited Warranty Sheet
Sony VPL-HW40ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony VPL-HW40ES
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Contrast Ratio||Not given|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-5000|
|Bulb Wattage||200 Watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1700white/1700color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Yrs|
|Labor Warranty||3 Yrs|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||1|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||No|
SXRD Technology: SXRD is a display technology developed by television engineers at Sony to meet and exceed the demands of a High Definition image at its full 1080 line resolution. It is a 1920 x 1080p panel characterized by several key benefits such as full HD resolution, smooth film-like image with minimal screen door effects, high response times (2.5ms rise and fall), high contrast ratio with wire grid polarizers and high contrast plate and accurate color rendition. The images from the three SXRD 0.61" panels (2,073,600 pixels each) are superimposed over each other, making the projector's native resolution 1920 x 1080, a total of 6,220,800 pixels.
1700 ANSI Lumen Brightness: The Sony VPL-HW40ES video projector outputs 1700 lumens (ANSI rating) for a bright and dynamic picture.
Dynamic Lamp Control: Sony's dynamic lamp control technology perfectly establishes vibrant, cinema-quality brightness levels on your favorite 2D or 3D movies and TV shows.
Lens Adjustments: The VPL-HW40ES can be adjusted to fit complex rooms with its 1.6x manual zoom, and horizontal and vertical shift features, plus1/10th pixel step panel alignment. Additional adjustments include:
- Vertical Keystone: Corrects vertical trapezoidal distortion.
- Image Flip: Flips the image vertically or horizontally.
- Blanking: Allows you to adjust the displayable region within the four directions of the screen.
- Panel Alignment: This feature allows you to adjust the gaps in the color of characters or the picture.
Adjustable Image Size & Lens Throw Distance: The Sony VPL-HW40ES video projector can produce an image that is adjustable between 40" and 300" (measured diagonally). The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|80"||7.9' - 12.5'|
|120"||11.8' - 18.8'|
|150"||14.8' - 23.5'|
Video Inputs: This unit can accept nearly any video signal available today, including 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p (1080p and 1080/24p through HDMI input only). It will also accept a wide range of computer video signals, and is compatible with NTSC and PAL color formats. All video signals are displayed in 1920 x 1080 (1080p) resolution. The Sony VPL-HW40ES video projector offers three types of video inputs; dual HDMI, one component video, and a single PC input.
- Dual HDMI Inputs: The dual HDMI video inputs will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals. The HDMI video inputs also support 3D, X.V. Color, and Deep Color video.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
- PC Input: The PC input consists of a HD D-Sub 15 jack which lets you connect the projector to your laptop or computer.
Note: This projector has no internal ATSC, NTSC, or QAM tuner.
Motionflow 240Hz Technology: Enjoy smooth, sharp motion from sporting events, action movies, and video games with Sony's Motionflow 240Hz technology. Motionflow 240Hz technology also minimizes 3D crosstalks and greatly diminishes the possibility of ghosting when watching 3D. The Motionflow 240Hz feature is adjustable and can be set to High, Low, or Off.
3D Ready w/ 2D-to-3D Conversion: The Sony VPL-HW40ES projector gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) video via its integrated 3D Sync Transmitter and active 3D glasses (158TDGPJ1, sold separately). You can even add 3D to your favorite movies, shows or videos with Sony's unique 2D-to-3D up-conversion algorithm, allowing any standard definition or high definition 2D content connected via HDMI to be viewed in immersive Sony 3D.
Note: Depending on the installation environment of the video projector, the 3D glasses may not receive 3D signals properly from the unit's built-in 3D Sync Transmitter. In this case, connect an optional 3D Sync Transmitter (available from Sony) and place it near your viewing position.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best suited for the
video signal received. Choose from the following:
- Wide Zoom: a 4:3 aspect ratio picture is projected naturally to fill the screen; the upper and lower portions of the picture are cropped
- Zoom: a 4:3 aspect ratio picture is enlarged vertically and horizontally in the same ratio to fill the screen; the upper and lower portions are cropped
- Normal: displays a picture on the whole of the screen, maintaining the aspect ratio of the input picture; this is suitable for 16:9 or 4:3 pictures.
- Stretch: a picture squeezed to 4:3 is displayed in 16:9 aspect ratio
- V Stretch: a 2.35:1 picture is displayed after having been changed to 16:9; this is the most suitable mode when using a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Squeeze: displays in its original aspect ratio when a 16:9 or 4:3 picture is viewed using a commercially available anamorphic lens.
- Full: displays an original picture on the whole of the screen; only when a computer signal is input
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing mode that
best suits the type of video source or room
conditions. You can save and use different preset modes for 2D/3D respectively.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching movies in
a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture quality that
suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
items with the remote control. The adjusted data can be stored in each calibrated preset.
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- Real Color Processing (RCP): The Real Color Processing (RCP) feature allows you to adjust the color, hue, and brightness of each target of the projected picture you specify independently. You can thus obtain a picture more suitable to your taste
Preset Signal Memory: This projector has 31 types of preset data for input signals. When the preset signal is input, the projector automatically detects the signal type and recalls the data from the signal from the preset memory to adjust it to an optimum picture. The memory number and signal type of that signal are displayed in the unit's Information Menu. The projector also contains 20 different user memories beside the preset memories used for inputting computer signals. You can save input signals that have not been preset on these user memories.
Remote Control w/ HDMI-CEC: The supplied IR remote allows you to wirelessly control many of the projector's functions. In addition, HDMI Control allows the communication of control information among connected HDMI components in your system.
- By turning on or playing back the connected equipment, the projector will turn on and the input setting will switch to the terminal of the connected equipment automatically.
- By turning the power of the projector off, the power of the connected equipment will also turn off automatically.
- By changing the language setting of the projector, the language setting of the connected equipment will also change to the same language automatically.
Custom Installation Inputs: The Sony VPL-HW40ES features an IR remote input and RS-232 port for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-HW40ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
Mounting Options: The VPL-HW40ES can be placed on a table top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
Power Saving Modes: The VPL-HW40ES offers two power saving modes to save energy and increase lamp life.
- Lamp Cutoff: The lamp turns off automatically and power
consumption is reduced if no signal is input for 10 minutes. If
signal is resumed, or any button on the control panel or remote control is pressed, the lamp will light again.
- Auto Standby: The power will be turned off automatically and the
projector goes to Standby mode if no signal is input for 10
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-HW40ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 21db during show. time
Replaceable Lamp & Filter: The included projector lamp should last between 2,000 to 5,000 hours. When replacing the lamp, use Sony's LMP-H202 Projector Lamp (sold separately). The air filter is supplied with the LMP-H202 Projector Lamp.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.
4 questions already asked