About the Sony VPL-HW65ES
Get closer to a real cinema experience
Get closer to a real cinema experience
Sony is the only electronics maker that also owns a movie studio. That's a big reason their projectors make watching movies at home feel like you're sitting in a cinema. The VPL-HW65ES's exceptional picture quality and setup/adjustment versatility will thrill even the most demanding movie buff. And you don't need to be an expert to appreciate Sony's design and engineering genius. Even projector novices can get a bright, sharp, natural-looking picture straight out of the box.
Breathtaking color and contrast
The VPL-HW65ES uses Sony's best projection technology, known as SXRD. Three SXRD image chips — one each for red, green, and blue — produce extraordinarily rich, solid colors. Color accuracy is impressive, too. Simply choose the "Reference" picture preset to get color and grayscale performance that would require a calibration with many competing projectors.
Sony included a picture setting optimized for watching black-and-white movies. If you're a gamer, you'll love the fast response of Game mode. And if you like to tweak picture controls, the Real Color Processing color management system makes it easy to fine-tune specific colors and hues without affecting skin tones.
Picture contrast and deep black levels are probably the two most important factors for projector picture quality, and VPL-HW65ES excels at both. Sony's Advanced Iris 3 is one of the most flexible and sophisticated dynamic irises we've seen. When operating dynamically it adjusts contrast as each scene changes, frame by frame. But you can also adjust it manually, on a scale from 0-100, so you can use it to precisely lower overall brightness if you're projecting onto a smaller screen. The VPL-HW65ES has higher light output than Sony projectors from a few years ago, so you can use it in rooms with some ambient light, but like all projectors it performs best in light-controlled rooms.
Flexible setup for a variety of rooms
With its standard-throw lens, the VPL-HW65ES is a smart choice for medium- and larger-sized rooms. You can place it on a table, or ceiling-mount it with an optional bracket. The two "lens shift" dials let you adjust the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. And because Sony's super-quiet built-in cooling fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, you won't be distracted by fan noise in smaller rooms.
- three 0.61" SXRD panels (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 40" to 300"
- light output: 1800 ANSI lumens
- Advanced Iris 3 dynamic iris for excellent picture contrast and black level
- 120,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Motionflow anti-blur technology for improved motion clarity
- Reality Creation super resolution processing
- Real Color Processing color management system
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Sony TDG-BT500A active 3D glasses sold separately)
- 1.6X manual zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (manual, horizontal and vertical)
- vertical keystone correction
- panel shift fine convergence adjustment
- 2 HDMI 1.4 inputs
- USB input for firmware updates
- Ethernet port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- 9-pin RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output for controlling a motorized screen or other device
- 3.5mm IR input for use with an external IR receiver
- detachable power cord
- 225-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 6000 hours in Eco mode)
- whisper-quiet cooling fan (22 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 16-1/16"W x 7-1/8"H x 18-3/8"D
- weight: 20 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: front projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
- MFR # VPLHW65ES
What's in the box:
- Video front projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ28)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Manual
- Limited Warranty Sheet
Sony VPL-HW65ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony VPL-HW65ES
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-6000|
|Bulb Wattage||215 Watts|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1800|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||No|
SXRD Technology: SXRD is a display technology developed by television engineers at Sony to meet and exceed the demands of a High Definition image at its full 1080 line resolution. It is a 1920 x 1080p panel characterized by several key benefits such as full HD resolution, smooth film-like image with minimal screen door effects, high response times (2.5ms rise and fall), high contrast ratio with wire grid polarizers and high contrast plate and accurate color rendition. The images from the three SXRD 0.61" panels (2,073,600 pixels each) are superimposed over each other, making the projector's native resolution 1920 x 1080, a total of 6,220,800 pixels.
High Brightness & Contrast: The video projector's Advanced Dynamic IRIS provides up to a 120,000:1 contrast ratio by optimizing both dark and bright scenes to produce deep black levels with incredible detail. The Sony VPL-HW65ES video projector outputs 1800 lumens (ANSI rating) for a bright and dynamic picture.
215W High Pressure Lamp w/ Dynamic Lamp Control: The Sony VPL-HW65ES employs a 215W high pressure. Enjoy up to 6000 hours of watch time (in low mode) from this long-lasting mercury lamp. This means fewer lamp swaps, simpler maintenance, and lower running costs. Sony's dynamic lamp control technology perfectly establishes vibrant, cinema-quality brightness levels on your favorite 2D or 3D movies and TV shows.
Note: When replacing the lamp, use Sony's LMP-H210 Projector Lamp (sold separately). The air filter is supplied with the LMP-H210 Projector Lamp.
Adjustable Lens The Sony VPL-HW65ES features a F2.52-F3.02 lens with a focal length of 18.7mm to 29.7mm. The VPL-HW65ES can be adjusted to fit complex rooms with its 1.6x manual zoom, horizontal (+/-25%) and vertical (+/-71%) lens shift features, plus1/10th pixel step panel alignment.
Adjustable Image Size & Lens Throw Distance: The Sony VPL-HW65ES video projector can produce an image that is adjustable between 40" and 300" (measured diagonally). The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|80"||95" - 150"|
|100"||119" - 188"|
|120"||142" - 226"|
|150"||178" - 283"|
|200"||238" - 378"|
Note: Check out Sony's Projection Simulator App (for Apple iOS 6.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) to help you choose the right screen size for your preferred viewing distance and projector location, plus get other helpful installation tips.
Dual HDMI Inputs: The VPL-HW65ES is fitted with two HDMI (1.4) inputs for connection of your home theater gear, like your Blu-ray player, game console, cable box, or satellite receiver. The two HDMI inputs also allow you to connect your desktop computer or laptop. The HDMI inputs will accept 480/60p, 576/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/60p, 1080/50p, and 1080/24p video signals.
Motionflow 240Hz & True Cinema 24p: Whatever you're watching, you'll enjoy a silk-smooth on-screen look in fast-moving action sequences with Motionflow 240Hz. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original frames by first comparing key visual factors on successive frames, then calculating the split second of missing action in the sequences. True Cinema 24p mode mimics true movie projection for cinema purists
3D Ready w/ 2D-to-3D Conversion: The Sony VPL-HW65ES projector gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) video via its integrated 3D-Sync RF Transmitter and Sony's active 3D glasses (158G500A, sold separately). You can even add 3D to your favorite movies, shows or videos with Sony's unique 2D-to-3D up-conversion algorithm, allowing any standard definition or high definition 2D content connected via HDMI to be viewed in immersive Sony 3D.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best suited for the
video signal received. Choose from the following:
- Normal: Input video is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged to fill the screen. This mode is suitable for viewing 1.78:(16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video.
- V Stretch: This is the most suitable mode for using a 2.35:1 screen to view 2.35:1 video with a commercially available anamorphic lens.
- Squeeze: With this setting, 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video will be displayed in their correct aspect ratios when you use a commercially available anamorphic lens.
- Stretch: Displays video that has been squeezed to 1.33:1 (4:3) as 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio.
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing mode that
best suits the type of video source or room conditions.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching movies in
a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture quality that
suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper, while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- Clear White: emphasizes vivid whites
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Color Correction: Adjusts Hue, Saturation or Brightness of the selected color - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Smooth Gradation: smoothes the gradation of the flat parts of images
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Input Lag Reduction: reduces the delay of the display for a video
Remote Control: The supplied IR remote allows you to wirelessly control many of the projector's functions. The Sony VPL-HW65ES also features an IR remote input, RS-232 port, RJ-45 jack, and a Trigger output for custom remote applications
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-HW65ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
- Ethernet Jack: The unit's Ethernet (RJ-45) jack allows for web browser control from your PC.
- Trigger Output: This trigger output (3.5mm) sends a 12-volt trigger to turn on a powered projector screen which features a 12-volt trigger input.
Mounting Options: The VPL-HW65ES can be placed on a table top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
Power Saving Modes: If no signal is input for 10 minutes, power is turned off automatically and the projector goes into standby mode.
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-HW65ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 22db during show time.
Updates Via USB: Software & Firmware updates will need to downloaded from the Sony website onto a USB thumbdrive. The USB thumbdrive will then need to be inserted into the projector's USB port to complete the update. Click here to find the latest updates.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.