About the Sony ICF-M88B
Sony's gift to biking enthusiasts! This rugged S2 Sports Walkman AM/FM radio includes a handlebar mounting kit just fasten the radio securely to your bike, and you can jam while you ride, without worrying about leaving your Walkman in the dust.
But this Sony can do more to enhance your trip than add radio playback it also includes a built-in clock, speedometer, and trip odometer! The perfect companion for a long ride, it can calculate your total distance and trip time, along with your average and maximum speeds. And of course, it boasts Sony's ergonomic, weather-resistant S2 Sports styling.
- 15 presets (10 FM/5 AM)
- backlit LCD can be set to display:
- speed (including average speed and maximum speed)
- trip distance
- ride time
- water-resistant S2 Sports design
- includes handlebar mounting kit and speed sensor
- 66 hours FM playback with 2 "AA" batteries (not included)
- 6-5/8"W x 2-7/8"H x 3-3/4"D
- weight: 9.93 oz. with batteries
- warranty: 1 year
What's in the box:
- AM/FM bicycle radio with built-in cycle computer
- Handle bar mount with speed sensor (on a 31" cable)
- Wheel magnet
- Five 7" Plastic wire ties
- 2 Thick rubber pads (2-7/8" x 1/2")
- 2 Thin rubber pads (2-1/2" x 1/2")
- 2 Phillips-head screws (3mm diameter x 1" length)
- 2 Flat washers
- 2 Lock washers
- Double-sided tape (3/8" x 5/8")
- Operating Instructions
- Promo card for free T-shirt (for purchases made through 10/31/04)
Sony ICF-M88B reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony ICF-M88B
S2 Sports Design: The Sony ICF-M88B bicycle radio features the rugged and ergonomic S2 Sports design. It includes innovative features and function controls placed for easy access. The unit's water resistant design includes seals to that help keep out water, moisture, and dirt.
LCD: The top panel of the bicycle radio features a 1-1/2" x 1" liquid crystal display. The display includes the following information:
- Large digital display for radio frequency and speedometer
- Small digital display for clock (12-hour), odometer, riding time, average speed, and maximum speed
- Band (AM, FM)
- Preset number
- Battery status
Antennas: The bicycle radio has a built-in ferrite bar AM antenna and a built-in helical FM antenna.
Speaker: The radio features a top-mounted 2" monaural speaker powered by an 80 mW built-in amplifier.
Digital Tuner: The radio's PLL synthesized digital tuner provides accurate drift-free tuning of AM and FM radio stations. The easy jog lever tuning control is located on the right side of the radio, easily controlled by a thumb or finger. The radio features manual, scan, and preset tuning. Note: The AM tuning interval can be switched between 10 kHz and 9 kHz. The FM tuning interval is 0.1 MHz.
Presets: You can store favorite stations in the unit's 15 presets, giving you one-touch tuning of 10 FM and 5 AM stations.
Sensitivity Switch: You can switch the tuning sensitivity for FM, TV, and Weather bands to Local if interference is prevalent. Otherwise, the sensitivity switch should be left on DX (distance).
Backlight: The display features an orange backlight which lights for 10 seconds each time the Light button is pressed. If another button is pressed while the backlight is lit, the backlight will turn off 10 seconds after pressing the button.
Power Requirements: The bicycle radio operates on two "AA" batteries (not supplied). When the batteries are removed or discharged, the radio has a short built-in memory to give you approximately 5 minutes to change the batties without losing the clock and preset settings. Typical battery life is as follows:
|Battery Type||Radio Band|
|Sony AA alkaline battery||66 hours||84 hours|
|Sony AA standard battery||23 hours||31 hours|
Water-Resistance Note: The unit is designed so that it can be used with slight exposure to rain, snow and other forms of moisture. It should not come in contact with large amounts of water or immersed.
- Without handle bar mount: W=6.57", H=2.8", D=3.71"
- With handle bar mount: W=6.57", H=3.364" (above handle bar), D=3.71"
- Power Output: 80 mW (at 10% harmonic distortion)
- Weight: 9.93 ounces (including batteries/excluding accessories)
Initial Setup: For maximum accuracy, you must first complete an initial bicycle computer setup. You will need to select "miles" or "kilometers" and wheel size (12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27 or 28 inches). The supplied wheel magnet and sensor and the radio's handle bar mount must also be properly installed to the bicycle. The radio/computer must be docked with the mount before the computer is activated.
Display Data: You can choose from the following display modes on the bicycle computer:
- Current Speed: the computer constantly displays the current speed in large numerals from 2.5 mph to 124.2 mph
- Odometer: measures the total distance traveled up to 99,999.9 miles
- Trip Distance: measures the distance traveled from a chosen starting point up to 9,999.9 miles
- Riding Time: measures the total amount of time up to 99:59:59
- Average Speed: calculates average speed according to trip distance and riding time
- Maximum Speed: displays the maximum speed recorded
Freeze Mode: You can deactivate the odometer, trip distance, riding time, average time, and maximum speed (except current speed) with the Freeze mode.
Standby Mode: When your bicycle is stopped with the radio off, and no button is pressed for more than 10 minutes, the cycle computer enters the Standby mode, and only the current time is displayed.