About the Sony IER-M7
Designed for professionals and serious listeners
Designed for professionals and serious listeners
Few companies are as involved with the entire music "chain" as Sony. They help create music, and make gear used to record, produce, and enjoy it. Having a hand in every step of the process really helped shape the sound signature of the Sony IER-M7 in-ear monitor (IEM) headphones. These IEMs are designed for use in live performances, but they have a clear, vividly detailed sound that would appeal to headphone enthusiasts as well.
It's all thanks to their quad-driver design. Sony packed each earpiece with four balanced-armature drivers and a sophisticated crossover system. I've only had the chance to spend a few minutes with them, but I immediately picked up on their outsized soundstage and accurate imaging. A live orchestral piece sounded properly spread out, and each instrument had a sense of place.
Professional-level noise isolation
Things get loud on-stage, and it's crucial to be able to focus on your specific instrument or vocal. Sony built these IEMs so professional musicians can do just that. I can tell you firsthand, it works well in an office setting, too. The IER-M7s knocked out outside distractions so I could focus on my tunes.
A large assortment of ear tips, for better fit and sound
We often talk about fit in terms of comfort. But getting a good in-ear seal has sonic advantages, too. Fortunately, Sony includes 13 different pairs of ear tips — maybe the most I've ever seen.
There are seven sizes of hybrid silicone tips, and six sizes of what Sony calls "triple comfort' tips. I personally preferred the latter. They were made of a soft, spongy material that helped create a comfortable, secure seal.
Detachable, wrap-around cable options
Sony includes two wrap-around-the-ear cables with the IER-M7. I had to overcome a small learning curve to get the right fit — you wrap the cord around your ear like you've probably seen musicians and performers do with their in-ear monitors. Once properly secured, they felt like they wouldn't slide around at all, no matter how I moved my head.
One cable includes an unbalanced 3.5mm mini plug. These in-ears are efficient enough that you can connect to your phone, but you'll get even better sonic results with a portable high-resolution music player. In fact, the second cable includes a 4.4mm balanced headphone plug so you make a balanced connection to Sony's NW-ZX300 Walkman®. Sony developed this new industry standard connection to help cut down on signal noise and distortion.
- in-ear headphones designed for studio and stage monitoring
- wrap-around cord routing system keeps headphones secured to ear
- professional-grade noise isolation
- each earbud uses four balanced-armature drivers for listening accuracy
- fine-tuned, realistic sound over a wide frequency range
- "T-shaped" armature design helps reveal musical detail
- rigid magnesium inner housing helps reduce vibration
- sophisticated crossover system
- custom-built film capacitor helps lower distortion
Accessories, Specs, and General Info:
- two detachable cables included
- 47" silver-coated oxygen-free cable with gold-plated 3.5mm miniplug
- 47"silver-coated oxygen-free cable with balanced 4.4mm headphone plug
- 13 pairs of ear tips:
- 7 sizes of silicone tips for a customized, comfortable fit
- 6 sizes of Sony's "triple comfort" soft ear tips for secure seal
- cleaning cloth and carrying case included
- frequency response: 5-40,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 103 dB
- impedance: 24 ohms
- weight: 0.32 ounces (with cable)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # IERM7
What's in the box:
- Left and right in-ear monitors
- 6 Pairs of Triple Comfort eartips
- 7 Pairs of Hybrid Silicone Rubber eartips
- 48" Audio cable with preformed ear hanger and right-angled 3.5mm plug
- 48" Audio cable with preformed ear hanger and right-angled 4.4mm balanced plug
- Clothing clip
- Cleaning cloth
- Cable holder
- Portable carrying case
- Storage case
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty (US/Canada)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony IER-M7
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.78" x 0.916"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||5-40k Hz|
|Cord Length||48" + 48"|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony IER-M7 in-ear monitors are designed for stage performers during live musical performances. The monitors deliver an accurate and detailed sound which is faithful to your performance. The IER-M7 comes with two interchangeable cables, one with a balanced connection, plus 13 pairs of ear tips, a portable carrying case, and a sturdy, organized storage case.
Quad Balanced Armature Design: The IER-M7 features a Quad Balanced Armature design for better accuracy and detail. Four individual balanced armature driver units are used, each handling a specific frequency range. Fine acoustic adjustments were made in each BA unit to provide a wide frequency range and the most accuracy. The four BAs are mounted in a highly rigid magnesium housing to eliminate vibration and keep the sound clear and clean. A custom, audio-grade film capacitor is used in the crossover circuit to deliver much lower distortion. Audio-grade solder also minimizes signal loss. The in-ear monitors offer a wide and short sound path made of brass from the BA unit to the nozzle to reduce frequency peaks and dips for optimum sound.
Detachable Cables: The Sony IER-M7 in-ear monitors come with 48" detachable cables. The cables are made with silver-coated, oxygen-free copper to minimize signal loss, and provide better detail, smoother highs, and less signal degradation. The cable ends have preformed ear hangers that fit over your outer ear to provide a stable fit, and an adjustable cinch to keep the cables out of your way. One cable has a right-angled standard 3.5mm (1/8") mini-plug connector. The other is equipped with the newer right-angled 4.4mm (0.17") balanced connector that works with Sony's NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z hi-res music players.
Ear Tips: The in-ear monitors come with six pairs of Triple Comfort ear tips and seven pairs of Hybrid Silicone Rubber ear tips. The wide selection of ear tips guarantees your monitors will stay firmly in place, even while you're moving on stage. Sizes include SS (extra small), S (small), MS (medium small), M (medium), ML (medium large), L (large), and LL (extra large -- in hybrid silicone rubber only).
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 40,000 Hz
- Impedance: 24Ω (at 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity: 103dB / mW
- Power Handling Capacity: 100mW (IEC)
- Ear Bud Dimensions (without ear tip): Width: 0.78", Height: 0.916", Depth: 0.837"
- Weight: 0.16 ounces (each, no cable), 0.32 ounces (pair, no cable), 0.8 ounces (pair with cable)