About the Sony Alpha a7 Kit
The full-frame interchangeable lens compact camera is here
The Sony Alpha a7 is compact and easy to handle while still delivering full-frame quality.
The full-frame interchangeable lens compact camera is here
Sony has shattered traditional preconceptions of what a high-end camera should be with the new Alpha a7. Photography's a field famous for trade-offs. The general rule until now has been: go for a big camera to get great full-frame image quality and the features pros demand. Smaller cameras simply can't house the optics and electronics necessary to compete with high-end DSLRs. Or can they?
Beautiful lenses make beautiful pictures
Let us tell you: the Alpha a7 has done it, and done it spectacularly well. A new family of bright, sharp Sony FE-mount lenses — some made by Zeiss® — are waiting to bring you striking imagery from a camera that's only about half as bulky as some of the high-end full-frame offerings from its competitors. Adapters made both by Sony and by third parties allow you to host a great many more lenses from the world's best manufacturers. And, if you own Sony E-system lenses for the NEX family, your a7 will automatically enable a special crop mode when they're mounted so you can use them too. All this variety will lead to wide-open visual possibilties when you pack a few extra lenses in your camera bag. Because, you know, you'll have extra room.
Included with this camera is a versatile Sony FE-Series 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens. It's an ideal travel companion, not too bulky and ready for almost any image-gathering opportunity that comes your way. It's also dust- and moisture-resistant, so quick changes in the weather won't present a problem.
Connectivity makes it versatile
And because this is a camera made for the connected world, you'll be able to use Sony's remarkable Wi-Fi® technology, because it's built right into the camera from the start. If you're an Android™ device user, built-in NFC (near-field communication) simplifies the process of pairing your camera and smart device, but Wi-Fi is easy to set up for almost any smartphone or tablet. From there, the versatile Sony PlayMemories family of apps comes into play. Transfer and upload files for easy sharing and posting? Sure. Remotely view and control your camera? No problem. Set it up for cool capture modes like time-lapse? Yes. Now, some of these apps are free, and some need to be purchased from Sony's app store, but you'll appreciate the increased creative latitude that app-based photography and videography gives you.
Full frame video with computer control
The video shooters have a lot to cheer about as well. In addition to getting their cherished cinematic full-frame look from a camera this size, the Alpha a7 also offers remote camera control from your PC. This means you'll be able to perform critical adjustments and set capture parameters without disturbing your setup. The camera offers high-quality AVCHD internal recording of video, but it can also pass uncompressed video signals output via HDMI, so you can attach a third-party solid-state recorder and capture extreme high-quality video in a variety of codecs.
Autofocus that keeps up with you — and everyone else
Fast, intuitive autofocus is achieved with the help of the newly enhanced BIONZ X image-processing engine and a specially-designed hybrid autofocus system. It incorporates both contrast- and phase-detection strategies to give you fluid, precise focusing no matter the challenge. Whether you're photographing children, pets, or sports, the Alpha a7 will deliver sharp, detailed shots while capturing up to 5 continuous frames per second. Oh, and the other part of the stability equation — that is, keeping you stable? There's an available battery grip so you can shoot easily in portrait orientation, plus have extra power available for those long events.
- 24.3-megapixel effective recording
- compact full-frame camera has only about half the weight and bulk of many competing full-frame DSLRs
- full-frame Exmor CMOS image sensor (35.8 X 23.9mm) for rich tonal gradation and true-to-life color
- includes Sony SEL-2870 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens
- Wi-Fi® sharing allows you to transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets in addition to viewing them on compatible TVs and PCs
- easy NFC pairing with compatible Android devices
- PlayMemories camera apps, downloadable via Wi-Fi from Sony, let users install new camera functions as desired
- 2,359K-dot Organic LED (OLED), super high-resolution electronic viewfinder makes critical evaluation of your frame at eye level easy
- weather-sealed magnesium-alloy body
- multi-interface shoe expands camera's compatibility with Sony Handycam® camcorder accessories like microphones and lights
- 3" LCD screen adjusts 130 degrees vertically to accommodate those awkward shooting angles
- Quick Navi Pro displays all major shooting options on the LCD screen so you can respond swiftly with just the right settings
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080p @ 60 frames per second)
- uncompressed, clean HDMI output
- BIONZ X image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- 9 scene modes, including Portrait, Sunset and Hand-held Twilight
- Anti-Dust Technology keeps image sensor clean for spotless photos
- 6-image layering: can take six pictures in under a second, then combine the best attributes of each into one photo to reduce blur and ensure proper exposure
- Fast Hybrid autofocus system combines phase-detection and contrast-detection for rapid, precise autofocusing
- new Eye AF control features extremely accurate eye detection that can prioritize a single pupil, for shooting subjects in very shallow depth-of-field situations
- capture high-contrast scenes with auto-HDR mode and see all the detail hidden in your highlights and shadows
- 13 picture effects include Retro Photo, HDR painting, and Toy Camera modes
- 4K still image output available over HDMI or Wi-Fi to compatible Sony TVs
- Smile Shutter technology snaps a picture when it detects a smile
- Horizontal/Vertical Sweep Panorama mode stiches images to create vistas
- captures high-resolution, low-compression HD movies in 1080/60p, 60i, and 24p
- optional vertical battery grip (sold separately) allows better control in portrait mode and extended battery life
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- optimized for Sony's new full-frame FE lenses
- compatible with Sony E-mount lenses (in APS-C crop mode)
- compatible with Sony Alpha SLR lenses when used with optional LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 lens adapter
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 2.5 frames per second (up to 5 frames per second in Speed Priority mode)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, sweep panorama, and fully automatic exposure modes
- exposure bracketing: 3 or 5 frames in variable increments
- 9 preset scene modes for accurately exposed images in many different shooting environments
- flash sync at 1/250 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine and Standard), RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- AVCHD movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 progressive frames per second with stereo sound; MP4 movie files up to 1440 x 1080 resolution at 30 frames per second with mono sound
- accepts optional SD, SDHC and SDXC cards and Memory Stick PRO Duo, PRO-HG Duo, and XC-HG Duo memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface (cable included)
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5-7/16"W x 3-3/4"H x 5-7/16"D (without lens)
- weight (with battery): 27.2 oz.
- Sony SEL-2870 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens
- rechargeable NP-FW50 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- micro USB cable
- body cap
- MFR # ILCE7K/B
What's in the box:
- Digital camera body (black)
- Body cap (installed)
- Hot shoe cover (installed)
- FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS E-mount lens (SEL2870)
- 55mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH132 Lens hood
- NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1080mAh 7.7Wh)
- AC-UB10 AC adapter (DC output: 5V 0.5A)
- 2' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- Neck Strap
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-Touch (NFC) Guide (Eng/Fren)
- Product registration sheet
- Lenses & Accessories brochure
Sony Alpha a7 Kit reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Alpha a7 Kit
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-70mm|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Image Stabilization||With included lens|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||16.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Play And Print Functions
Overview: The Sony α7 (ILCE-7K) alpha series camera kit contains the α7 camera body and the FE28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens (SEL2870), along with a rechargeable battery, adjustable neck strap, and USB cable. The α7 has a full-frame 35mm image sensor, and is compatible with Sony E-mount lenses. With the LA-EA2 or LA-EA1 Mount Adapter, the camera can also use Sony A-mount lenses.
3" Tiltable LCD Screen: The α7 uses a 3" Xtra Fine LCD screen with 921,600 dots. You can tilt the LCD up approximately 84° for low angle shots or approximately 45° for high angle photography. The brightness of the LCD monitor can be adjusted in 5 steps from -2 to +2.
0.5" OLED Electronic Viewfinder: The 0.5" high contrast Tru-Finder OLED electronic color viewfinder has 2.4-million dots, and provides approximately 100% field of view. You can adjust the brightness in 5 steps. The built-in diopter lets you adjust the viewfinder image to your individual eyesight. You can set the camera to switch between the LCD screen and viewfinder automatically when you look into the EVF, or choose one or the other in the camera's menu.
Display Options: You can choose how much information appears in the viewfinder and LCD monitor. There are five options each for the LCD screen and Viewfinder: Graphic Display, Display All Info, No Display Info, Level, and Histogram.
Live View: The α7's Live View lets you use the LCD screen and Electronic Viewfinder to frame your photos as you shoot. When the Live View display is set to "Setting Effect On", the LCD or viewfinder will provide an accurate preview of your photo, including the white balance, exposure compensation, creative style or picture effect. With the "Setting Effect Off", you can check the image composition without the effects of the exposure settings.
Image Sensor: The α7 features a full-frame 35mm Exmor CMOS image sensor (35.8 x 23.9mm). It has approximately 24.7-million total pixels and 24.3-million effective pixels.
Still Image Recording Formats: The α7 can shoot 35mm full-size image sensor pictures, but it can also shoot APS-C size equivalent pictures. Still images are recorded in JPEG file format in Standard, Fine, and Extra Fine compression rates. You can choose to shoot in 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio, and in large, medium, and small image sizes. You can also record still images using the RAW format, which is uncompressed with no processing performed in the camera. RAW images must be transferred to a computer for processing, editing, and printing using the downloadable Image Data Converter software. You can select the following image sizes:
|Aspect Ratio/Size||35mm Full-Size||APS-C Size|
|3:2 Large||6000 x 4000 (24M)||3936 x 2624 (10M)|
|3:2 Medium||3936 x 2624 (10M)||3008 x 2000 (6M)|
|3:2 Small||3008 x 2000 (6M)||1968 x 1312 (2.6M)|
|16:9 Large||6000 x 3376 (20M)||3936 x 2216 (8.7M)|
|16:9 Medium||3936 x 2216 (8.7M)||3008 x 1688 (5.1M)|
|16:9 Small||3008 x 1688 (5.1M)||1968 x 1112 (2.2M)|
|3:2 RAW (L)||6000 x 4000 (24M)||3936 x 2624 (10M)|
|16:9 RAW (L)||6000 x 3376 (20M)||3936 x 2216 (8.7M)|
Panorama Photos: The Panorama mode lets you record panoramic images by holding down the shutter button as you pan across the scene. Panoramic photos can be taken in several different resolution settings:
- Vertical: 3872 x 2160
- Horizontal: 8192 x 1856
- Vertical: 5536 x 2160
- Horizontal: 12416 x 1856
Movie Recording Formats: The α7 can record 16:9 Full High Definition movies with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video and 2-channel Dolby Digital audio. Movies can also be recorded in MP4 mode with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video and MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2-channel audio. You can select from the following bit rates/image quality:
|File Format||Average Bit Rate||Resolution|
|AVCHD 60i 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|AVCHD 60i 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|AVCHD 60p 28M (PS)||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60p)|
|AVCHD 24p 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|AVCHD 24p 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|MP4 1440 x 1080 12M||12 Mbps||1440 x 1080 (30fps)|
|MP4 VGA 3M||3 Mbps||640 x 480 (30fps)|
Dual Media Options: The α7 camera accepts two types of media for capturing still images: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, and Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, plus SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards. The maximum number of images that can be recorded on a memory card formatted with this camera varies slightly between the two types of media.
Clear Image Zoom: Clear Image Zoom, powered by Sony's By Pixel Super Resolution Technology, increases the effective focal length of the lens by up to 1.4x (Medium images) or 2x (Small images) by digitally magnifying the center of the image. Combined with the camera's Digital Zoom and Smart Zoom, you can increase magnification up to 8x over the lens' maximum focal length.
Hybrid AF System: The α7's Enhanced Fast Hybrid auto focus system combines phase-detection auto focus with highly accurate contrast-detection AF for lightning fast auto focusing. Phase Detection uses 117 densely placed AF points to quickly move the lens to bring the subject nearly into focus. Then Contrast Detection's 25 focus points fine-tunes the focusing, resulting in the sharpest images. You can choose from the following Auto/Manual Focus Modes:
- AF-S (Single-shot Auto focus): The camera focuses and the focus is locked when you press the shutter button halfway down. Recommended for use with motionless subjects.
- AF-C (Continuous Auto focus): The camera continues to focus when you press and hold the shutter button halfway down. Recommended for use when the subject is in motion.
- DMF: After focusing automatically, you can make fine focusing adjustments manually (Direct Manual Focusing).
- Manual Focus: When it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode, you can adjust the focus manually. This mode allows you to set the distance of a subject by rotating the focusing ring to achieve a sharp focus.
AF (Auto focus) Area: You can select between 4 settings:
- Wide: The camera focuses automatically on a subject in all ranges of the image.
- Zone: You can select a zone (consisting of 9 focus areas) on the monitor on which to focus.
- Center: The camera uses the AF area located in the center area exclusively.
- Flexible Spot: You can change the size of and move the focusing area in order to focus on a small subject or narrow area.
Eye AF: The new Eye AF function can be assigned to a customizable button. When Eye AF is selected, the camera focuses on a person's eyes for extremely sharp focusing of the face.
Face Detection/Smile Shutter: The camera can detect human faces, and adjusts the focus, exposure, performs image processing and adjusts flash settings for best results. Faces can be registered, and priority given to those faces over others in the frame. Up to 8 faces can be detected and/or registered. When the Smile Shutter feature is enabled, the camera will automatically release the shutter when a slight, normal, or big smile is detected.
Auto Object Framing: When the camera detects and shoots faces, subjects shot with macro or subjects captured using Tracking Focus, the captured image is automatically trimmed into a suitable composition. Both the original and the trimmed images are saved. The trimmed image is recorded in the same size as the original image size. This feature can be turned on or off in the menu.
Focus Lock: If a subject is off-center and outside of the AF area, you can lock the focus of the camera.
AF Illuminator: When you press the shutter button halfway down a red illuminator is emitted until the focus is locked. Under dark lighting conditions or when you shoot a low contrast subject, the AF illuminator allows the camera to focus more easily on the subject.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes:
- Single Shooting: Default setting for standard picture taking.
- Continuous Shooting: At full resolution, the camera can record continuously up to 2.5 frames per second. In Speed Priority Continuous, the frame rate increases to a maximum of 5 fps.
- Self-Timer: You can set the camera to three different self-timers:
- 10 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 10 seconds later. This is convenient when the photographer wants to appear in a photo.
- 2 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 2 seconds later. This is convenient to reduce camera-shake.
- 10 Seconds/3 or 5 Images: The camera records 3 or 5 images continuously after a 10 second delay. You can choose the best shot from the shots taken.
- Bracket Shooting: Bracket shooting allows you to shoot 3 or 5 images, each with different degrees of exposure (base exposure, under exposure, and over exposure). You can select the bracket step value from 0.3EV, 0.5EV, 0.7EV, 1.0EV, 2.0EV, or 3.0EV. After shooting, you can select an image that suits your intention.
Shooting Modes: The top-mounted Mode Dial lets you select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto: In the menu, you can choose which of the following are
desired when the Mode Dial is set to Auto:
- iAuto (Intelligent Auto): This mode allows easy shooting with settings adjusted automatically.
- iAuto+ (Superior Auto): The camera recognizes and evaluates the shooting condition and sets the appropriate settings automatically. The camera saves one appropriate image by combining or separating images as necessary.
- Program Auto: For shooting with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value), while allowing you to adjust other settings manually.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed. This mode gives you greater control over the depth of field.
- Shutter Speed Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture. With a high shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it is frozen on the image. With a slow shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it were flowing.
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject: Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, and Anti Motion Blur.
- Sweep Panorama: Shoot expansive scenery or high-rise buildings with dynamic composition.
- Memory Recall (1, 2): You can register often-used camera settings (including Shooting Mode, Aperture, Shutter speed) in one of two memory positions on the Mode Dial for easy recall.
- Movies: You can record movies in Full HD or standard definition in 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. When selected on the Mode Dial, you can select the desired movie settings, including Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual Exposure.
Picture Effect: In Intelligent Auto or Superior Auto mode, you can select Picture Effect to get one the following effect filters to achieve more impressive and artistic expression: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization (color), Posterization (B/W), Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow), High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Creative Style: The Creative Style function lets you select the desired image processing. You can adjust exposure (shutter speed and aperture) as you like with Creative Style. You can choose from: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, or Sepia. You can also adjust Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure) The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3.0 EV in 1/3-step increments by turning the dial on the top of the camera or +/-3.0 EV in 1/3-step increments in the menu. When shooting movies, the exposure can be adjusted in a range of +/-2.0 EV.
AE Lock: You can fix the exposure before deciding on the composition when taking a picture. This is effective when the metering object and focusing object are different or when you want to shoot continuously while keep the same exposure value.
Metering Mode: A 1200-zone evaluative sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select the method for measuring the brightness of a subject from the following three methods:
- Multi Segment: This method uses the whole screen divided into 1200 zones to measure light.
- Center Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measure the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measure light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options, and adjust the +/- 3 to fine tune the colors: Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm White), Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Flash, Color Temperature, Color Filter, Underwater, and Custom.
Color Temperature/Color Filter: You can adjust the white balance further by selecting Color Temperature or Color Filter in the Custom White Balance option. With Color Temperature, the higher the number, the more reddish the image, and the lower the number, the more bluish the image. Color Filter achieves the effect of Color Compensation filters for photography. Based on the set color temperature as the standard, the color can be compensated to Green (G) or Magenta (M).
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set manually or automatically, depending upon the exposure mode. The manual ISO range is 50 to 25600 in 1/3EV increments.
Multi-Interface Shoe: The α7 does not have a built-in flash, but is equipped with the Multi-Interface Shoe, allowing you to use an external flash, such as the HVL-F20M, HVL-F43M, or HVL-F60M. The ECM-XYST1M stereo microphone is also compatible.
Flash Features: When an optional external flash is attached, the camera offers several Flash Modes: Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync, Rear Sync, and Wireless. You can adjust the amount of flash light in a range of -3.0 EV to +3.0 EV with the Flash Compensation feature.
Wi-Fi Overview: The Sony α7 has built-in Wi-Fi so you can interface the camera with your smartphone or Wi-Fi-enabled laptop computer and wirelessly perform various shooting and playback functions. The camera also supports NFC (near field communication).
PlayMemories Mobile: To interface with the Sony α7, your smartphone must have the PlayMemories Mobile application. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and requires iOS 4.3 or later. It is also compatible with Android smartphones and tablets with the Android 2.3 - 4.4 operating environment.
NFC (Near Field Communication): By touching an NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet to the "N" mark on the right side of the camera, the smartphone will be connected automatically via Wi-Fi, and the PlayMemories Mobile app will be launched. The two devices must touch for approximately 1-2 seconds to make the connection.
Wi-Fi Functions: The following wireless functions can be performed with the α7:
- Smart Remote: You can use a smartphone as a remote controller for the camera. Still images shot via remote control are automatically sent to the smartphone's memory. You can also change some of the camera's settings, including EV, Self-Timer, and Review Check.
- Send to Smartphone: You can transfer still images to a smartphone for viewing. Images can be transferred in its original image size, or resized to 2M or VGA. RAW images are converted to JPEG format before being transferred.
- Send to Computer: You can transfer images stored on the camera's memory card to a computer connected to a wireless access point or wireless broadband router in order to easily make backup copies.
- View on TV: Images can be viewed on a network-enabled TV.
Lens Overview: The ILCE-7K kit includes the FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens (SEL2870).
Optical Steady Shot (OSS): When the SEL2870, or another "OSS" lens is mounted to the camera, you can activate the Optical SteadyShot image stabilizer in the menu. Optical SteadyShot compensates for camera shake without sacrificing image quality by internally shifting lens elements. OSS gives you more flexibility when shooting in low light situations, or when zooming in on distant objects.
- Lens Type: Sony E-mount Full Frame
- Focal Length: 28-70mm
- Filter Diameter: 55mm
- Angle of View: 54° - 23°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 12" (W) - 18" (T)
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5 (W) - f/5.6 (T)
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (W) - f/36 (T)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.19x
- Aperture: 7-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 9 elements in 8 groups, including 4 aspheric surfaces
- Dimensions: 2-7/8" (Diameter) x 3-3/8" (Length)
- Weight: 10.5 ounces
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index or as a Slide Show. During Index View mode, you can view 9 (3 x 3) or 25 (5 x 5) images at once.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Slide Show: You can automatically play back still images continuously in a slide show. You can set the interval to 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
View Mode: There are four View Modes to choose from for playing back images and movies: Date View, Folder View (Still), Folder View (MP4), and AVCHD View.
D-Range Optimizer/Auto HDR: The camera allows you to correct the brightness and contrast of an image automatically, using the D-Range Optimizer (DRO) and Auto High Dynamic Range functions. The DRO optimizes the gradations of a recorded image in each area of the image; you select the optimal level from Lv1 (weak) and Lv5 (strong). When Auto HDR is selected, the camera shoots three images with different exposures, then overlays them to create one image with the correct exposure and an overlaid image.
4K Still Image Playback: The α7 can output images in 4K resolution to an HDMI-connected TV that supports 4K. The 4K playback function can be selected in the Playback Menu only when the camera is connected to a 4K-compatible TV via HDMI or Wi-Fi.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo-shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the available downloadable software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The α7 is powered by the NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery (supplied). The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed. Approximately 340 images can be recorded with the supplied battery using the LCD monitor.
Charging: The NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery requires approximately 5 hours 10 minutes for a full charge, using the supplied AC-UB10 AC adapter and USB cable.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway.
Downloadable Software: The α7 does not include software in the box. Instead, Sony offers software for Windows- and Mac-compatible computers for importing still images and movies recorded with the camera to your computer. You can download the software to your computer using the appropriate URL provided in the supplied Instruction Manual. The following downloadable software is compatible with the camera:
- PlayMemories Home: With PlayMemories Home, you can view your images, and use various convenient features to enhance the images you have shot. PlayMemories Home is required for importing AVCHD movies to your computer.
- Imaging Edge: Imaging Edge (Remote/Viewer/Edit) software can be used for browsing images (creating time-lapse movies, filtering images by applying ratings), adjusting images (edit and adjusting for brightness, color, and tone), remote shooting, and saving images recorded in RAW format and converting them to JPEG or TIFF format. Imaging Edge is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), and macOS 10.12-10.14.
Note: Sony's Image Data Converter and Remote Camera Control software was discontinued in September 2018, and replaced with Imaging Edge.
1 question already asked