About the Sony KDL-V32XBR1
With so many unknown companies struggling to claim a piece of the flat-panel TV business, rest assured that you can still count on advanced design and superior picture quality from Sony's XBR TVs. The latest XBRs like the 32" KDL-V32XBR1 are Sony's finest flat-panel LCD TVs, and their only ones with built-in HD tuners for both over-the-air and cable digital signals.
This screen's high resolution gives images lifelike clarity and detail. This is also one of Sony's first LCDs to employ a "wide color gamut" backlight. It delivers more natural skin tones and more accurate overall color.
The effortless beauty of high-definition pictures is addictive, but since we don't live in a 24/7 HDTV world yet, you'll probably still be watching some regular (non-HD) programs for at least the next few years. Sony's powerful Wega Engine digital video processing circuitry "upconverts" standard signals for a smoother, more natural look.
The future-ready set of audio/video connections includes HD-compatible component video and HDMI for your advanced video gear, plus a standard computer input. A high-speed USB input gives you an easy way to connect your digital camera for a brilliant slideshow. Sony's streamlined Wega Gate on-screen menu system provides easy access to the most frequently used features and adjustments.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
- high-definition TV receives and decodes digital standard-definition and HDTV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required) and cable TV service (CableCARD required)
- S-PVA (Super Patterned Vertical Alignment) LCD panel for improved off-axis viewing
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1366 x 768 pixels
- ultra-fast pixel response time (8 milliseconds)
- 170°(H) x 170°(V) viewing angle
- Wide Color Gamut fluorescent backlight for more accurate colors
- Wega Engine digital video processing (upconverts non-HD signals)
- Wega Gate on-screen operation guide
- built-in stereo speakers (13 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 3 component video (2 rear, 1 side)
accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals
- 1 HDMI digital audio/video input
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- high-speed USB input for a digital camera
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- detachable tilt/swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 15-3/4"W x 12-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 31-13/16"W x 21-5/8"H x 4-3/8"D (22-15/16"H x 12-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 43.4 lbs. (without stand)
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Contact your local cable TV provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services.
- MFR # KDLV32XBR1
What's in the box:
- 32" LCD TV
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD002)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6' AC cord
- 10' RF coax cable (with male "F" connectors on both ends)
- 64" HD-15 PC cable
- Black plastic cable holder
- Cable clamp
- Safety strap (for securing back of TV to base)
- Security bolt
- Self-tapping screw
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (French)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (French)
- Quick Setup Guide (Spanish)
- Warranty Sheet (U.S.)
- Warranty Sheet (Canada)
- Product Registration card
Sony KDL-V32XBR1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDL-V32XBR1
Features & specs
HDTV: The Sony KDL-V32XBR1 LCD TV has a built-in ATSC tuner which will receive over-the-air and cable High Definition signals without the need for a separate DTV set-top box. With its HD-compatible component video and HDMI inputs, the TV can also display programs in High Definition from high-end DVD players and set-top boxes. In addition, the TV also includes an NTSC tuner for analog broadcasts, and is CableCARD ready.
CableCARD: CableCARD provides cable subscribers with access to digitally encrypted cable channels without the need for a separate set-top box. With CableCARD, you can receive both standard definition and high definition programming. The CableCARD, provided by the cable TV company, inserts into the TV's rear panel CableCARD slot.
Native Resolution: Since the KDL-V32XBR1 has a native display resolution of 1386 x 788, all input signals will be displayed at 1386 x 788.
WEGA Engine System: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine System delivers superb picture quality from any video source by minimizing the signal deterioration caused by digital to analog conversion and stabilizing the signal processing. This engine features the following key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Composite Component Processor (CCP-X): The first step in the digital processing system, Composite Component Processor (CCP-X), which enhances the input signal-to-noise ratio by chroma decoder digital processing.
- DRC (Digital Reality Creation)-MF V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
DRC Modes: You can choose from the following DRC advanced video options to create a high-resolution picture with 4x density for high quality sources, such as a DVD player or satellite receiver:
- High Density: recommended for fast moving images
- Progressive: recommended for still images and text
DRC Palette: The DRC Palette allows you to customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) for up to three input sources. For example, you can create one Custom setting to optimize your cable input and another for your DVD player's picture. Note: This feature is not available for 480p, 720p, or 1080i sources.
S-master Full Digital Amplifier: The built-in 26-watt S-master 1-bit full digital amplifier delivers superb clear dialog and reproduces the original sound quality while minimizing any sound fragmentation or jitter noise. The amplifier delivers 13 watts per channel to each speaker.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV splits the screen and displays the "frozen" picture on the left, while the current program continues on the right.
WEGA GATE: WEGA GATE provides one-touch access for controlling the TV. It enables you to perform a variety of tasks intuitively with a control panel on the screen rather than a variety of remote control presses. When you press the WEGA GATE button, you can select from basic TV functions, such as selecting from Favorite Channels, watching TV, viewing external equipment signals, viewing still images or movies from the USB device, or adjusting TV settings.
Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to select programs from a list of up to 16 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the center portion of the picture and stretches the left and right edges to fill the screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode with side bars to fill the screen
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
- Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the screen
Power Saving: You can view the picture with reduced power consumption by selecting the Power Saving mode. The picture becomes darker, but the black level is enhanced. To view the picture without the benefit of Power Saving, you can select "Standard" mode.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Surround Effects: To enhance the sound, you can select SRS TruSurround XT which adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs, or Simulated which adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
On/Off Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set to program your TV to turn on and off at two scheduled viewing times.
Parental Control: V-chip technology allows parents to block unsuitable programming from young viewers. You can select a general age-based category (Child, Youth, Young Adult) or a Custom category in which you select from the specific USA or Canadian TV Ratings options. Parental control is protected by a 4-digit password.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
Wall-Mounting Options: The KDL-V32XBR1 can be wall-mounted using optional Sony SU-WL31 wall-mount bracket or universal wall-mount brackets. There are two sets of threaded screw holes to accommodate the brackets. One set has four M6 screw holes with a 200mm (7-7/8") horizontal and vertical spacing. This pattern is compatible with optional wall-mount brackets with a VESA 200 pattern. The other set has four M5 screw holes with a 200mm (7-7/8") horizontal spacing and a vertical spacing of 150mm (5-29/32").
USB Input: The KDL-V32XBR1 is equipped with a full-sized USB (USB-A) jack on the left side of the unit. This jack is provided for connecting compatible USB devices to the TV, such as Sony digital cameras and digital camcorders. The TV supports USB 2.0 High Speed and lower.
Viewing Files: You can view still images (JPEG files) and still images with audio (JPEG voice memo) in a thumbnail index or a slideshow. You can also view movies (MPEG1 files) in a thumbnail index or slideshow. The files remain stored on the camera/camcorder, and are not uploaded to the TV.
Photo Controls: While the USB device is connected to the TV, you can perform the following functions:
- Index: View multiple images at once on the screen.
- Slideshow: View images one at a time manually, or at intervals of 3, 6, or 12 seconds, with or without music.
- Zoom: You can increase or decrease magnification.
- Pan: When magnification is greater than 1.0, you can move up, down, left, or right around the photo.
- Rotate: You can rotate a picture 90° clockwise or counterclockwise for proper photo orientation.
- Delete/Protect: You can delete the file from the USB media. To protect a file from deletion or changes, you can protect the image.
- Print Quantity: You can indicate the number of prints to make of a specific photo when the USB device is connected to a compatible photo printer.
- Movie Controls: You can play and pause MPEG1 movie files.
HDMI Inputs: The KDL-V32XBR1 features a HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) input which provides an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped device, such as a DTV set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio. You can also connect a DVI-equipped device to the TV via an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. Since a DVI connection does not output audio, you will also need to connect an audio cable from the DVI-equipped device to the TV's HDMI input's audio jacks.
PC Input: The TV has a PC input with a D-sub 15-pin analog RGB jack. An HD-15 PC cable is supplied for connecting your computer to the TV. The input includes a 3.5mm minijack for audio.
Side Panel Connections: The TV includes an A/V input on the left side with stereo audio and composite and component jacks. For mono audio connections, you should use the left channel input.
Component Video Inputs: All of the TV's component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Dual RF Inputs: There are separate RF inputs for connecting VHF/UHF antenna signals and cable TV signals.
Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can choose Fixed or Variable audio output. The audio jacks are only operable when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off.
Optical Output: You can use the TV's optical digital audio output to connect a Dolby Digital/PCM-compatible digital audio device, such as an audio amplifier.
USB Input: The TV includes a USB-A input for connecting a compatible USB device. See "Photo/Video Viewer" section above.