About the Sony KD-34XBR960
When Sony's first Super Fine Pitch CRT models arrived last year, we were blown away by their picture quality. They still deliver the best direct-view TV picture we've ever seen. For the KD-34XBR960, Sony further refined the design, added an over-the-air HDTV tuner and CableCARD slot, and still lowered the price. You can't ask for more than that.
Is Super Fine Pitch technology really that much better? Absolutely. The defining element of any Trinitron picture tube is the "aperture grill"; a metal mask with hundreds of narrow vertical slits through which beams from the TV's electron gun pass, striking the phosphor dot coating to form the images. The Super Fine Pitch CRT has 65% more of these vertical slits for a huge increase in horizontal resolution. For bright, vibrant colors to match the added detail, Sony also increased the output of the electron gun, and used a high-intensity luminescent phosphor coating. Designed specifically for High-Definition TV, the KV-34XBR960's clarity and dimensionality will astound you.
The KD-34XBR960 offers a total of 7 A/V inputs, including two HD-compatible component video inputs. For future-readiness, Sony includes the latest type of high-performance connection: HDMI. A single HDMI jack can pass High-Definition video and multichannel digital audio. You'll soon be seeing lots of DVD players and other components with HDMI jacks. Three i.LINK® ports expand your options for recording and playback of digital material, including high-def (compatible with most D-VHS decks, but for playback only).
Sony's Digital Reality Creation (DRC) upconversion circuitry is among the very best at enhancing picture quality and reducing the visibility of horizontal scan lines. It's a way to bridge the gap between conventional video signals and HDTV. This latest version, DRC MultiFunction V1, gives you better results than ever with lower-quality signals like cable TV and VHS tapes. You can fine-tune the level of picture enhancement to match your personal preference and the quality of the input source, storing your own custom settings for easy adjustment.
If you own a Sony Memory Stick® digital camera, the KD-34XBR960 provides Enhanced Memory Stick playback you can view not only JPEG digital photos, but also MPEG movie clips stored on Memory Stick.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: Because of its large size, this item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the item must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
- Hi-Scan High-Definition TV receives and decodes digital standard-definition and HDTV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required) and cable TV service (CableCARD required)
- all signals displayed at 1080i or 480p
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- Super Fine Pitch Aperture Grill
- selectable color temperature control
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction V1 (upconverts non-HD signals to 960i or 480p)
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing
- 10-bit 3D digital comb filter
- 181-channel NTSC tuner
- Twin-View 2-tuner PIP (adjustable split-screen)
- multibrand remote control with some glow-in-the-dark buttons
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 10 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 HDMI digital audio/video input
- 3 i.LINK (IEEE 1394) ports (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 RF inputs (Antenna, Cable)
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Enhanced Memory Stick playback (JPEG, MPEG)
- 30 watts total (7.5 x 2, plus 15 for subwoofer)
- 39-1/4"W x 25-3/8"H x 23-1/2"D
- weight: 196 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Contact your local cable TV provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services.
- MFR # KD34XBR960N
What's in the box:
- 34" Widescreen television
- RM-Y201 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration card
- "Required Public Statement For GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used In This Television" sheet
- "When the CableCARD is not in use" sheet
Sony KD-34XBR960 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KD-34XBR960
Features & specs
|Picture in Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||7.5 x 2/15 x 1|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Footprint Width (inches)||39-1/8|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||21-3/4|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Rear Composite Video Inputs||3|
|Rear Component Video Inputs||2|
CableCARD Slot: This TV has a back panel CableCARD slot that allows digital cable reception without a set-top box. CableCARDs will be available from your local cable provider.
HDTV (ATSC) Tuner: The TV has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't have to purchase a separate digital set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV signals.
Super Fine Pitch CRT: Created especially for displaying high resolution pictures, the Super Fine Pitch CRT, along with an advanced electron gun and high intensity luminescent phosphor, improves image resolution, providing the highest picture quality reproduction from corner to corner.
Hi-Scan 1080i Display: The TV's Hi-Scan 1080i Display is capable of displaying HDTV signals when connected to an optional HDTV tuner/receiver. The unit's HDMI and component inputs are capable of receiving 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Digital Reality Creation Multifunction V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent, while doubling the number of vertical and horizontal lines. This results in four times the density for quality sources, such as DVD, satellite, and digital camcorders. The Video Menu allows you to select interlaced, progressive, or CineMotion output. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
CineMotion: CineMotion optimizes the display by automatically detecting film content (originally shot at 24 frames-per-second) and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
10-bit 3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's 10-bit 3D digital comb filter analyzes picture information horizontally, vertically and over time. You will get high resolution under most picture conditions. 10-bit signal processing renders superb gray-scale gradation, resulting in superior picture detail.
ClearEdge VM Wideband Velocity Modulation: This system separates the object and its background, producing clearer edges, better picture depth and improved overall picture quality. You can select High, Medium, Low, or Off.
HD Detailer Wideband Video Amplifier: This unit's Wideband Video Amplifier has a high bandwidth frequency rating, which allows it to send more video information to the screen, resulting in finer picture quality, especially for HD sources.
High Voltage Regulator: The unit's built-in high voltage regulator maintains consistent image size, despite variations in brightness during scene changes and channel changes.
Twin View: Using the Multi-Image Driver, Twin View allows you to watch two programs side-by-side with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i) simultaneously.
Note: Only the left Twin View window can display 1080i, 720p, and 480p sources.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- With Standard Definition
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen
- Full: stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies)
- With High Definition
- Full: displays the picture at its original size
- Zoom: enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally
- Horizontal Expand: stretches the picture horizontally
- Vertical Expand: stretches the picture vertically
Dynamic Focus: Dynamic Focus circuitry adjusts the picture during each scanning line for consistent corner-to-corner sharpness.
Dynamic Picture: Dynamic Picture circuitry maintains image detail in the very bright and dark areas of each scene.
Trinitone Color Temperature: You can select one of the following color temperature settings:
- Cool: gives white colors a blue tint
- Neutral: gives white colors a neutral tint
- Warm: gives white colors a red tint (NTSC-Standard)
Video Mode: You can select one of the following Video Mode options:
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments
- Movie: displays a finely detailed picture for low light environments
- Pro: displays a picture with minimum enhancements
Audio Effects: To enhance the sound, you can select TruSurround, which adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs, or Simulated, which adds a surround-like effect to mono programs.
Steady Sound: This feature equalizes the volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials.
Note: Steady sound cannot be activated when audio effects (TruSurround or Simulated) are in use.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to store and quickly access 16 of your favorite channels.
Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to preview up to 7 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Scrolling Channel Index System: The system splits the screen into one main picture and four smaller pictures that automatically scroll through all the available channels.
Parental Control: V-Chip technology allows you to block unsuitable programming for younger viewers. Blocked programs are protected by a 4-digit password.
Timers: You can use the unit's two built-in timers to program the TV to turn on and off and tune to a specific channel at scheduled viewing times.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
Memory Stick Viewer: This television has a front-panel Memory Stick slot that is compatible with JPEG images taken with digital still cameras and MPEG1 movies taken with digital cameras and camcorders. You can use Memory Stick Duo if you have a Memory Stick Duo adapter.
Memory Stick Index: The Memory Stick Index displays thumbnail images of the files stored on a Memory Stick. You can individually highlight and display any image in the Index.
Viewing Still Images: When viewing a still image, you can rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise, or you can zoom in on the image.
Playing Movies: When viewing a movie on a Memory Stick, you can enlarge the movie window for easier viewing. During playback, you can pause the movie or move to the previous or next movie on the Memory Stick.
Slide Show: You can view JPEG images or MPEG1 movies in a Slide Show. The Slide Show menu includes the following options:
- Music: allows you to
select background audio to play during the Slide Show:
- Play Memory Stick: plays all MP3 files on a Memory Stick
- Piano: plays the MP3 file stored in the TV's internal memory
- List of MP3 Files: displays a list of all MP3 files found at the top level (root) of the Memory Stick
- Complete List: displays a list of all available MP3 files on the Memory Stick
- Transition Effect: allows you to select an effect to be used when advancing to the next file in the Slide Show
- Slide Duration: allows you to specify a timed slide advance after a selected time interval; you can select 3, 6, or 12 seconds
- Repeat: plays the Slide Show repeatedly
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, Laserdisc players, DVD/VCR combination units, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers. Several controls are located under a lid that covers the top half of the remote. A joystick allows you to move the on-screen selector, making menu navigation simple and efficient. The enter, volume, channel, and numeric keypad buttons glow in the dark.
System Off: The remote control's System Off button lets you turn off all Sony brand audio/video equipment at once.
Note: This may not work with some older equipment or with DVD/VCR combo units.
HDMI: This input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an HDMI terminal. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminal provides an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped A/V component, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced, or high-definition video, plus two-channel digital audio. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component.
Note: The HDMI input will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
i.LINK: The TV has three i.LINK inputs, one on the front panel and two on the rear panel, allowing the unit to be used with compatible i.LINK-equipped A/V components.
Note: These terminals are not intended for use with personal computers.
Component Video Inputs: The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Audio Outputs: These audio jacks are activated when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off, and are used to connect the TV to a receiver/amplifier. They can be set for Fixed (volume controlled by the receiver/amplifier) or Variable (volume controlled by the TV's remote control) operation.
Control S Jacks: These two mini-jacks (1 input/1 output) allows the TV to receive and send out remote control signals to other Sony infrared-controlled audio or video equipment that has the Control S function. The input is for sending signals to the TV, while the output lets you send control signals to connected components.
Monitor Outputs: These jacks (stereo RCA and composite video) let you record the program you are watching to a VCR. When two VCRs are connected, you can use the TV as a monitor for tape-to-tape editing (not available with 480p, 720p or 1080i when the input is set to Video 5, 6, or 7).