About the Sony KDF-E42A10
Sony's popular Grand Wega big-screen TVs were reinvented from the inside out. If the elegantly compact design of the 42" KDF-E42A10 doesn't grab your eye, the superb picture quality surely will. The TV's width and height have been dramatically reduced compared to the previous model. This 42" screen will fit in the space where a typical 36" TV would have gone.
Grand Wegas are the best-selling line of big-screens because they deliver a dependably fine picture. Sony gets the color right by using three high-definition LCD image chips (one each for red, green, and blue signals). The combination of rich, vibrant color and million-pixel precision produces images that are extremely smooth, flicker-free, and 3-dimensional. Sony's innovative Cinema Black Pro "dynamic iris" technology improves contrast and black level by reducing the TV's light output in dark scenes. A circuit continuously samples the brightness content of the video signal and adjusts the iris opening on the fly to deliver the best possible brightness, contrast, and black level.
This is a "Digital Cable Ready" TV, able to receive both over-the-air and cable high-definition TV signals without a separate set-top box. To make the most of the built-in cable tuner, request a CableCARD from your local service provider. The CableCARD replaces the cable box, simplifying your hookup, providing a slightly better picture, and eliminating one remote control. Powerful "upconversion" raises standard video signals to near-HD quality and you can fine-tune the amount of enhancement for each video source.
This is the first Grand Wega to include a standard PC input. It's great for web-surfing and gaming, and since this is an LCD-based display, there are no worries about screen burn-in. There are also three HD-compatible component video inputs, including a convenient side-mounted set for a game console or HD camcorder.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
- high-definition TV receives and decodes digital standard-definition and HDTV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required) and cable TV service (CableCARD required)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 3 LCD panels, 1280 x 720 pixels each (all signals displayed at 720p)
- 130°(H) x 60°(V) viewing angle
- Cinema Black Pro with Advanced Iris for improved contrast
- Wega Engine video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction v1 (upconverts non-HD signals)
- built-in stereo speakers (12 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 3 component video (2 rear, 1 side)
accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals
- 1 HDMI digital audio/video input
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs (1 Antenna, 1 Cable)
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® compliant
- 39-3/8"W x 28-3/8"H x 14-1/8"D (pedestal is 33-3/8"W x 14"D)
- weight: 61.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Contact your local cable provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services
- MFR # KDFE42A10
What's in the box:
- 42" LCD projection TV
- RM-YD003 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty sheet
- Note on cleaning the rear cover
- "Features and Notes on Viewing your LCD Projection TV" sheet
- "Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used in this Television" sheet
- SonyCard (for www.sonyrewards.com)
Sony KDF-E42A10 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDF-E42A10
Features & specs
|Resolution (pixels)||1280 x 720|
|Picture In Picture||No|
|Audio Output Power||12 watts x 2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Power On (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Standby (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Footprint Width (inches)||33-3/8|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||14|
|Analog Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Video Inputs||6|
|Digital Inputs & Outputs|
HDTV: The Sony KDF-E42A10 Grand Wega Rear Projection LCD TV has a built-in ATSC tuner that will receive over-the-air and cable High Definition signals without the need for a separate DTV set-top box. With its HD-compatible component video and HDMI inputs, the TV can also display programs in High Definition from high-end DVD players and set-top boxes. In addition, the TV also includes an NTSC tuner for analog broadcasts, and is CableCARD ready.
CableCARD: CableCARD provides cable subscribers with access to digitally encrypted cable channels without the need for a separate set-top box. With CableCARD, you can receive both standard definition and high definition programming. The CableCARD, provided by the cable TV company, inserts into the TV's rear panel CableCARD slot.
Native Resolution: Since the KDF-E42A10 has a display resolution of 1280 x 720, all input signals will be displayed at 1280 x 720. The TV has three 0.73" Wide XGA LCD panels, one for each RGB (red, green, blue) signal that each resolve 921,600 pixels to deliver a clear, crisp, precise picture.
WEGA Engine System: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine System delivers superb picture quality from any video source by minimizing the signal deterioration caused by digital to analog conversion and stabilizing the signal processing. This engine features key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Composite Component Processor (CCP-X): The first step in the digital processing system, Composite Component Processor (CCP-X), enhances the input signal-to-noise ratio by chroma decoder digital processing.
- DRC (Digital Reality Creation)-MF V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
DRC Modes: You can choose from the following DRC advanced video options:
- High Density: creates a high-resolution picture with 4x density for high quality sources, such as a DVD player or satellite receiver
- Progressive: recommended for moving images
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
Optical Engine: The Sony optical engine provides a high-resolution picture from corner to corner across the entire screen. It also renders an image with high-brightness utilizing a 100W lamp (Model XL-2400) that you can easily replace.
Wega Gate: The Wega Gate screen gives you access to the following options:
- Favorites: lets you store and view up to 16 of your favorite programs
- Cable: takes you to the most recently viewed channel on the cable input
- Antenna: takes you to the most recently viewed channel on the antenna input
- External Inputs: lets you select equipment that is connected to your TV
- Settings: lets you adjust the Video, Audio, Screen, Channel, Parental Control, Setup, and Applications menus
Program Guide: This TV is equipped to show program information if it is available from the station. The Program Guide lets you review program information, and select both analog and digital channels.
Video Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, or Custom. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Custom setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements. You can set a Video mode independently for each video input.
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following screen wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the center portion of the picture and stretches the left and right edges to fill the screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode with side bars to fill the screen
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
- Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the screen
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Sound Effects: To enhance the sound, you can select TruSurround XT, which adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs, or Simulated, which adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs. The sound effects can be turned off.
BBE: The BBE circuit adjusts the phase relationships of the low, mid and high frequencies. The result is improved sound with more impact.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
Optional TV Stand: The TV can be mounted on the optional Sony SU-RG11S stand (item # 158SURG11S).
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including DVD players, DVD/VCR combo units, HDD/DVD combo units, VCRs, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
HDMI Inputs: The TV features an HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) input that provides an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped device, such as a DTV set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio. You can also connect a DVI-equipped device to the TV via an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. Since a DVI connection does not output audio, you will also need to connect an audio cable from the DVI-equipped device to the TV. The HDMI input has left and right RCA audio inputs.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can choose Fixed or Variable audio output. The audio jacks are only operable when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off.
Optical Output: You can use the TV's optical digital audio output to connect a Dolby Digital/PCM-compatible digital audio device, such as an audio amplifier.
Side Panel Inputs: For connecting a game console or camcorder, the TV includes side panel inputs (left and right RCA audio jacks, RCA composite video jack, and component video jacks). For mono audio connections, you should use the left channel input.