About the Sony KDL-46XBR3
So much is changing with today's TVs shape, size, display technology that it's nice you can still count on some things, like Sony's "XBR" badge. The BRAVIA XBR line represents Sony's finest LCD TVs ever, with picture quality that's simply stunning. The features and performance of the 46" KDL-46XBR3 are identical to the KDL-46XBR2 the only difference is the XBR3's gloss-black cabinet, which looks extra stylish encased in Sony's clear "floating glass" case.
The big performance story for the KDL-46XBR3 is "Full HD 1080" screen resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels). It provides about twice as many pixels as you get with typical 40" LCDs. That higher resolution gives images lifelike clarity, detail, and texture it's like looking through a window. Colors look strikingly natural, too, thanks to Sony's "wide color gamut" backlight, which reproduces a much wider range of colors.
You'll want to feed this thoroughbred as much high-quality material as possible, like DVD movies and HDTV programs. But realistically, you'll probably still be watching some regular (non-HD) programs for a while yet. That's when you'll really appreciate the KDL-46XBR3's advanced video processing. The latest version of Sony's DRC (Digital Reality Creation®) circuitry has twice the processing power of earlier versions. Until now, DRC could only process interlaced video signals, but this version can upconvert both interlaced and progressive video, giving images a smoother, more solid look. Native 1080p signals (like those from Sony's Blu-ray Disc player) are displayed directly, without any processing.
The future-ready set of audio/video connections is heavy on HD-compatible connections, including two component video and three digital HDMI for your most advanced video gear. The natural ruggedness of LCD panels helps the KDL-46XBR3 excel as a total entertainment display. Connect your PC and/or video game console and work or play for hours if you like LCDs are immune to screen burn-in.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered to the door of your house or apartment. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
- 46" widescreen HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio)
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- S-PVA (Super Patterned Vertical Alignment) LCD panel for improved off-axis viewing
- 1920 x 1080 pixels
- 8-millisecond pixel response time
- 1300:1 contrast ratio (7000:1 dynamic)
- 178°(H) x 178°(V) viewing angle
- adjustable Wide Color Gamut fluorescent backlight for more accurate colors
- BRAVIA Engine Pro digital video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction v2.5 (upconverts video signals to 1080p)
- built-in stereo speakers (11 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 8 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 3 HDMI digital audio/video inputs (2 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® compliant
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 19-5/8"W x 12-5/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 49-5/8"W x 28-7/8"H x 5"D (31-3/8"H x 12-5/8"D on stand)
- weight: 79.4 lbs. (without stand)
- warranty: 18 months parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KDL46XBR3
What's in the box:
- 46" LCD projection TV
- RM-YD013 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 8' Power cord
- 5' RGB cable (D-Sub 15)
- 9.75' Coax cable with screw-on F-connectors on each end
- Nylon support strap with mounting screw and mounting bolt
- Plastic wire management bracket
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (French)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (French)
- Quick Setup Guide (Spanish)
- Installing TV on wall instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- US Warranty information
- Canadian Warranty information
- On-line Product Registration sheet
- Statement about licensed software used (English)
- Statement about licensed software used (French)
- Warranty Card (Spanish)
Sony KDL-46XBR3 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDL-46XBR3
Features & specs
Overview: The Sony BRAVIA KDL-V46XBR3 is a 46" diagonal LCD flat panel HDTV that features a Live Color Creation backlight system, TruSurround XT audio technology and digital audio enhancement amplification to provide you with a dynamic picture and sound quality experience.
Full HD 1080: There are a lot of ways to define high-definition but Sony BRAVIA Full HD means you're getting the best resolution that high-definition has to offer. With Sony BRAVIA XBR HDTVs, Full HD 1080 means 1920 x 1080 pixels and 1080p video inputs.
1920 x 1080 Panel Resolution: When it comes to high-definition TV the pinnacle of performance is achieved by using 1920x1080 display panels; BRAVIA XBR televisions have them. Full HD 1920x1080 panel resolution with over 2 million pixels (more than twice that of 720p HDTV) is exactly what you need to reproduce the 1080p content that can be delivered by our cutting edge 1080p Blu-ray disc player. And working with BRAVIA Engine PRO everything from standard definition and high definition is upconverted to 1080p for a picture so real it's like you're actually there.
Bravia Engine PRO Full Digital Video Processor: Sony improved on the great benefits of the BRAVIA Engine by adding a picture quality enhancement circuit called Digital Reality Creation Multi-function v2.5. DRC-MFv2.5 now has the added ability to process interlace and progressive video signals and because it has twice the processing power of previous DRC-MF circuits, it can do its processing and output them to 1080p. (Native 1080p input signals are not processed through DRC-MFv2.5.) Add to this the crisp details, outstanding contrast, eye popping colors, and dramatically reduced digital artifacts that DRC-MF circuitry is known for. And the best part of all is that DRC-MFv2.5 is user adjustable according to the video source. All of this helps define the reason why people want Sony TVs to begin with-unparalleled picture quality.
Live Color Creation System (featuring WCG-CCFL backlighting system): Sony's Live Color Creation System not only pushes resolution to the limit but also brings color reproduction to new heights. Live Color Creation achieves precise and wide color reproduction using a combination of advanced chroma signal processing algorithms along with a specially developed WCG-CCFL (Wide Color Gamut - Cold Cathode Florescent Light). The results have to be seen to be believed. Deep blue levels along with a natural, broad range of greens deliver vibrant colors throughout any scene.
7th Generation Sony LCD Panel: The Sony TV uses a 7th generation Sony LCD panel for truly matchless image quality and performance. This panel is produced efficiently from glass to a create large, high quality panel. The PVA high definition display (1,920 x 1080) that is used offers an astounding 178 degree viewing angle, very fast response times and a spectacular contrast ratio.
High Contrast Ratio: Sony uses a dynamic backlighting system called ACE (Advanced Contrast Enhancement) on BRAVIA TVs. ACE automatically senses the APL (Average Picture Level) of the video signal and adjusts the intensity of the backlight for improved contrast. VESA test and measurement methods are applied yielding a contrast ratio of 7000:1. This number represents the widest possible ratio between black and white contrast levels. Sony also measures their BRAVIA televisions with a more stringent method that measures the amount of black and white levels that can appear on the screen at the same time. This method yields a more real world measurement of 1300:1.
CineMotion: This Technology along with the reverse 3-2 pull-down technology provides smoother picture movement when playing back movies or other video sources on film.
Integrated HDTV: This feature allows you to watch digital television programs and enjoy the improved audio/video quality offered by these programs.
ATSC Integrated Tuner: This tuner allows the reception of local, off-air digital broadcasts providing the viewing of free, true high-definition network programming without the addition of a set top box or a monthly fee.
HDMI: HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) provides an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped audio/video component, such as a set-top box, DVD player, and A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio.
PC Input: The PC input (HD-15-pin) offers easy connection to your PC, allowing you to use your high resolution BRAVIA S-Series Digital TV as a computer monitor.
VESA: The TV uses VESA compliant mounting holes to add an optional wall-bracket to hang the television on the wall. The TV is VESA 400 x 200 compatible.
Wide Screen Mode: This mode allows you to watch 4:3 normal broadcasts in wide screen mode (16:9 aspect ratio). There are five settings to choose from.
- Wide Zoom: fills screen with minimum distortion
- Normal: displays 4:3 picture in original size when original source is 4:3.
- Full: enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the screen when the original source is 4:3; also use this mode when the original source is 16:9 to display the 16:9 picture in its original size
- Zoom: enlarges the original picture without distorting the aspect ratio
- Auto: screen automatically changes to the screen mode that is best for the current program
Picture Mode: The TV features Three Picture Modes to customize your picture viewing.
- Vivid: This mode enhances the picture contrast and sharpness.
- Standard: The Standard mode is recommended for your home entrainment use. (default setting)
- Custom: This mode allows
you to store your preferred settings from the following.
- Backlight: adjust to brighten or darken the backlight
- Picture: adjust to increase or decrease picture contrast
- Brightness: adjust to brighten or darken picture
- Color: adjust to increase or decrease color intensity
- Live Color: makes colors more vivid
- Hue: adjust to increase or decrease the green tones
- Sharpness: adjust to sharpen or soften the picture
- Gama: adjusts the balance between the light and dark areas of the picture
- Black Corrector: enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer: automatically optimize the contrast; effective for dark images scenes because it will increase the contrast distinction of the darker picture scenes
- Clear White: emphasizes white and light colors
- Color Space: select the range of color reproduction from Normal to Wide.
- Color Temperature:
adjust the white balance of the picture; there are three selections
- Cool: gives the white colors a bluish tint
- Neutral: gives the white colors a neutral tint
- Warm: gives the white colors a reddish tint
- Detail Enhancer: enhances the details of the picture
- Edge Enhancer: enhances the outline of the picture
- Noise Reduction: You can select to reduce the noise level of the connected equipment to the TV's VHF/UHF input. You can choose from Auto, High, Medium, Low or Off.
- DRC Mode: This mode produces a high-resolution picture for high-density sources such as Blu-ray, DVD, or Digital Satellite. You can select from Mode1(Recommended), Mode2 (only for 1080i) or Off.
- DRC Palette: This feature allows you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) for input sources.
Color Matrix: This feature allows you to reproduce the color-difference signals. You can choose between Standard (Automatically optimizes based on signal) or Custom (select either ITU601 or ITU709 which normalized the tone when color tones look unnatural).
Light Sensor: This feature allows the pictures brightness level to be optimized to ambient light. The effect from the Light Sensor depends on the setting of Picture Mode and Power Saving Mode.
Sound Mode: The TV features Three Sound Modes to customize your TV listening.
- Dynamic: enhances bass and treble
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Custom: flat setting or it
allows you to store your preferred settings from the following.
- Treble: increase or decrease higher-pitched sounds
- Bass: increases or decreases lower-pitched sounds
- Balance: emphasizes left or right speaker balance
- Volume Offset: adjust the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs
- Steady Sound: select this mode to stabilize the volume across all programs and commercials
- Surround: You can choose from "Off (stereo)", Simulate Stereo (adds a surround-like effect to mono programs), or TruSurround XT (surround effect for stereo programs)
- BBE: select to give sound more impact by compensating for phase effects in speakers; you can choose from High, Low or Off
- MTS: allows you to enjoy stereo, bilingual and mono programs
SRS TruSurround XT: Building on the success of TruSurround technology, TruSurround XT audio adds three new audio enhancement technologies to produce an amazingly immersive sound experience. Dialog Clarity brings movie dialog into "focus" during the playback of any surround-encoded material to make speech much clearer and crisper. TruBass creates incredible deep rich bass allowing a person to perceive significantly deeper, richer low bass tones that are far beyond the physical low frequency capabilities of the speaker itself. And WOW widens the soundstage by processing standard two-channel stereo material as well as multi-channel encoded material for a dramatic improvement in the playback of any stereo audio over a two-speaker system.
A/V Sync: Us this option to make adjustments to audio and video synchronization when you have external equipment connected to the Optical Out of the TV.
Label Video Inputs: This feature allows you to identify A/V equipment you connected to the TV. You can choose from the following.
- Video 1-6 Inputs: Receiver, Satellite, Cable Box, VCR, DVD, DVR, HD, Game, Camcorder, Edit or Skip
- Video 7 Input: PC, Edit, Skip
Note: The Edit label allows you to create a custom five character label for that input.
Label Channels: This feature allows you to assign labels such as station call letter to the channel numbers. You can use up to five characters.
Favorite Channels: This function allows you navigate a list of up to 16 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Show/Hide Channels: This feature allows you to show or hide channels that appear when you use the channel +/- buttons.
Note: Channels that you set to be hidden can be accessed only with the 0-9 buttons.
Freeze Function: Press this button once to display a frozen image of the current program in a window on the screen. Press again to show only frozen image on the TV screen. Press again to return to the program.
Jump Function: This feature allows you to jump back and forth between two channels. The TV alternates between the current channel and the last channel that was selected.
Parental Control (V-Chip): The parental control function allows parents to block unsuitable programming from younger viewers. You can select between Off, Child, Youth, Young Adult or Custom using the rating system in the TV's manual.
Caption Vision/Info Banner: This feature allows Closed Caption and/or channel programming information to be displayed on the TV screen. You can choose from CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, Text1, Text2, Text3 and Text4
Sleep Timer: You can set the amount of time you want your TV to remain on before shutting off automatically. You can select from Off, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 or 120 minutes.
Timer: You can use this feature to turn the TV on, turn it off, or tune it to a specific channel at a scheduled time. The TV has two timers (Timer1 and Timer2).
Note: The Timer feature will not be available until you set the Current Time.
Power Saving: Select this feature to reduce the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness. This function also enhances the black level. You can choose from Off, Low, High and Picture Off.
Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-YD013). The remote control is preset to operate Sony brand video equipment. The remote is also pre-coded to work non-Sony brand equipment such as DVD, VCR, DVR, Satellite or Cable.
- HDMI In: the TV provides a side panel HDMI input
- Video 2: consists of a composite video input as well as composite stereo audio inputs; great for connecting a camcorder or game system
- Headphone Jack: listen to your TV in privacy using the headphone out
- HDMI Inputs: The TV features two rear panel HDMI inputs that provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped device, such as a DTV set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio. You can also connect a DVI-equipped device to the TV via an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. Since a DVI connection does not output audio, you will also need to connect an audio cable from the DVI-equipped device to the TV. One of the HDMI inputs has left and right RCA audio inputs.
- Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- S-Video: The TV features one rear panel S-video connection.
- Composite A/V: The TV has two rear panel composite audio/video RCA connections.
- Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can choose Fixed or Variable audio output. The audio jacks are only operable when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off.
- Optical Output: You can use the TV's optical digital audio output to connect a Dolby Digital/PCM-compatible digital audio device, such as an audio amplifier.
- VHF/UHF and Cable Inputs: Two RF inputs that connect to your Cable and VHF/UHF antenna.
- PC IN: Use the RGB connection to connect a personal computer's video output connector using HD15-HD15 cable (supplied analog RGB cable).
Incorrect Paperwork: The information included with this TV incorrectly shows the warranty period as one year. The warranty period is actually 18 months and covers parts, labor, and in-home service.