About the Sony Vario-Sonnar® T* 24-70mm f/2.8 ZA SSM II
A versatile lens for your Sony A-mount DSLR
A versatile lens for your Sony A-mount DSLR
This 24-70mm f/2.8 lens from Sony gives you a moderate wide-angle to medium-telephoto focal range, useful for everything from landscape and architecture shots to portraits and detailed close-ups. A constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range lets you easily change focal lengths without having to alter your exposure settings.
High-resolution imaging power
Specialized lens elements give this lens extra-precise detail rendering, while a 9-blade circular aperture provides smooth background defocusing. This lens works perfectly with Sony's latest high-resolution camera bodies to deliver photos with outstanding dimensionality.
- 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens
- compatible with Sony A-mount DSLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 24-70mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 36-105mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- f/2.8 maximum aperture stays constant throughout the zoom range
- Zeiss® T* coating minimizes ghosting and flare
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- lens construction: 13 elements in 17 groups
- 2 aspherical elements and two ED (extra-high dispersion) elements for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) for quiet, precise focusing
- focus hold button for added control
- minimum focus distance: 1.12'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- nine rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, soft storage pouch
- lens is 3-5/16" in diameter and 4-3/8" long
- weight: 34.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SAL2470Z2
What's in the box:
- 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM II zoom lens (SAL2470Z2)
- 77mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH101 Lens hood
- Soft lens case
- Operating Instructions (3 versions)
- Precautions before using
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
- Zeiss inspection certificate
More details on the Sony Vario-Sonnar® T* 24-70mm f/2.8 ZA SSM II
Compatibility: The Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM II lens (SAL2470Z2) is compatible with the Sony a-series (Alpha-series) digital SLR cameras with the A-mount. It is optimized for use with cameras with full frame image sensors. With the optional LA-EA4 mount adapter (sold separately), you can mount the lens on a Sony E-mount camera.
Carl Zeiss T* Coating: The SAL2470Z2 lens features Carl Zeiss T* (T-Star) coating that virtually eliminates the lens flare, internal reflection, and light scattering that can occur at glass-to-air surfaces.
ED (Extra-low dispersion) Glass: Two ED glass elements minimize flare and reduce color abnormalities, giving you sharp and clear shots, even at full telephoto extension. These elements also provide superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings.
Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM): The SAL2470Z2 is equipped with a Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM) as part of a piezoelectric drive system that powers the internal focus mechanism. The SSM is smooth and silent with no front element rotation. The lens features high torque at low rotational speeds for quick and accurate focusing.
Lens Hood: The included ALC-SH101 lens hood allows for better shooting in bright light. A lens hood can be used to reduce flare in bright light areas to ensure maximum image quality. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 1.5" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted onto the lens for storage.
Note: When using the built-in camera flash, make sure to remove the lens hood to avoid blocking the light from the flash.
9-Blade Aperture: The SAL2470Z2 has a 9-blade circular aperture, paired with the F2.8 maximum aperture, produces beautiful background bokeh with natural highlights. With the smooth defocused elements in the background, the in-focus objects stand out even more, simulating almost three-dimensional depth.
Focus Mode: This lens is compatible with automatic and manual focusing. To use auto-focus, both the camera body and the Focus Mode switch on the lens must be set to auto-focus. To focus manually, set the camera body or the Focus Mode switch on the lens to manual focus and adjust the focus ring on the lens.
Focus Hold: While the Focus Hold button is pressed, auto-focus is suspended and the focus is fixed in that position.
Distance Information: The shooting distance scale, located on the barrel of the lens, is graduated in feet and meters from 1.12 ft. (0.34m) to infinity. For accurate manual focusing, look through the viewfinder while rotating the focusing ring.
Dust and Moisture Resistant: The lens has a dust and moisture resistant design, which allows you to shoot with confidence, even in dusty or wet conditions. It is not totally waterproof, so you should still protect the lens from direct contact with rain or splashing water.
- Focal Length: 24-70mm
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 36-105mm (using an APS-C image sensor)
- Angle of View: 84°-34° (with a full size image sensor), 61°-23° (with an APS-C image sensor)
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Aperture Type: 9-blade circular
- Maximum Magnification: 0.25x
- Minimum Focus Distance: 13.2"
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- Physical Dimensions:
- Length: 4.676"
- Diameter: 3.277"
- Weight: 34.4 ounces