About the Sony SAL85F14Z Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4
A natural in any light
Few things are as satisfying as working with a responsive lens that lets you execute your creative vision to the letter. This 85mm f/1.4 prime from Sony is great for close-ups, expressive portraits, candids, and detail shots. The 85mm focal length is perfect for taking natural-looking portraits at a relaxed distance from your subject. With its large maximum aperture, this lens excels indoors and in low light. Nine circular aperture blades deliver smooth defocused backgrounds so your subject is sure to stand out.
- 85mm f/1.4 medium telephoto prime lens
- compatible with Sony A-mount DSLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 85mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 127.5mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 2.79'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 8 elements in 7 groups
- diaphragm blades: 9
- Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating reduces lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color
- focus hold button for added control
- attachment/filter size: 72mm
- lens is 3-1/4" in diameter, 3" long
- weight: 1.41 lbs.
- front and rear lens caps
- lens hood
- carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SAL85F14Z
What's in the box:
- Planar T* 85mm F1.4 ZA lens
- 72mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap
- Lens case
- ALC-SH0002 Lens hood
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty
- Inspection certificate
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony SAL85F14Z Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4
Overview: The Sony SAL85F14Z (85mm F1.4 ZA) is a superior-quality, α (alpha) series, mid-range telephoto prime lens. This Carl Zeiss Planar T* (T-star) lens is perfect for portraits and medium-telephoto landscapes. The lens comes with a lens hood and vinyl lens pouch.
Compatibility: The SAL85F14Z lens is equipped with a Sony A-mount, and is designed for use with Sony α (alpha) 35mm Full Frame A-mount cameras. It can be mounted onto A-mount cameras with APS-C sensors but with a 1.5x conversion factor. The equivalent focal length on an APS-C camera is 127.5mm. The lens can also be used on Sony E-mount interchangeable lens cameras, when used with the LA-EA4 mount adapter (sold separately).
Focus Ring with Auto Clutch: The lens features a wide focus ring with an auto clutch mechanism that does not rotate during autofocus operation.
Focus Hold Button: Pressing the Focus Hold button turns off the Auto Focus and "fix" the focus at its present position. You can release the shutter on the fixed focus. Releasing the Focus Hold button while pressing the shutter button halfway starts the AF again.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the ALC-SH0002 bayonet-mount lens hood to reduce flare and ensure maximum image quality. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 2.5" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and stored on the lens backwards.
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Equivalent focal length (APS-C): 127.5mm
- Lens Construction: 8 elements in 7 groups
- Angle of View: 29° (full frame cameras); 19° (cameras with APS-C sensor)
- Minimum Focus: 2.8 feet
- Maximum Magnification: 0.13x
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.4
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Aperture Design: 9 blades, rounded
- Filter Diameter: 72mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.195" Length 3.141" (3.74 " w/lens caps)
- Weight: 22.625 ounces