About the Sony MEX-M100BT
A peak performer
A peak performer
If you're into high-performance boating, Sony's MEX-M100BT marine CD receiver offers all the features you want, plus the water-resistant toughness you need. This Sony's built-in amp delivers 40 watts RMS per channel, so it's like getting an outboard 4-channel amp to drive your speakers.
You can enjoy all your CDs, including homemade discs, while built-in Bluetooth and a handy front USB input give you plenty of ways to play your tunes. The specialized circuit board coating and UV-resistant front panel ensure that this receiver will stand up to life on the water.
Choose the display color that suits your mood
This marine-rated receiver features built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with Simple Secure Pairing, so you can take calls and listen to music (including your favorite Pandora channels) with minimal effort and maximum quality. NFC (Near Field Communication) technology means one-touch listening with compatible devices — simply align the devices, touch the NFC logo on this Sony's face, and pair things up. It's a very handy feature to have on a boat.
Sony's SongPal app lets you connect through Bluetooth to use voice control for finding your favorite music tracks, and to provide touchscreen control from your smartphone to find sources, access apps, and even customize your sound settings.
Siri® goes boating
Better still, if you have a compatible iPhone, you can enjoy Siri Eyes Free on your boat. Just press the volume key to activate voice commands for making calls, setting up reminders, and other features. You won't even miss a text message while you're on the water — Siri Eyes Free can read your messages out loud while you're at the helm, and even let you compose responses while you're baiting a hook.
Get the sound you want
The MEX-M100BT produces plenty of power without noise or distortion, and if you like low-end thump, you'll love the Mega Bass feature. You can also customize the sound to suit your musical tastes using the built-in 10-band equalizer, selectable low- and high-pass crossovers, and other soundshaping tools. If you're planning on expanding your system in the future, you'll really appreciate the 6-channel preamp outputs.
You'll also enjoy plenty of control options with the MEX-M100BT. The intuitive front panel is easy to learn, but when you're away from the receiver, you can use your smartphone or the included wireless remote. With Passenger Control for iPhone® and iPod® devices, your guests can play DJ while you're at the helm.
This receiver also works with the SiriusXM tuner (not included), allowing you to enjoy satellite radio programming even when you're miles and miles offshore. If you're planning on expanding your system in the future, you'll really appreciate the 6-channel preamp outputs.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Important note: This marine radio is water-resistant, but we recommend mounting it in a water-resistant enclosure or using a cover for best performance.
Installation note: We recommend running a dedicated constant power wire to the battery for optimal performance from this Sony's amp. The high-powered amp won't work in systems where an outboard factory amplifier is still active.
- marine CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in Class-D amplifier (40 watts RMS CEA-2006/100 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC and FLAC files
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- NFC offers instant Bluetooth pairing with compatible phones
- Siri Eyes Free with compatible iPhones
- detachable face with dual-zone variable color illumination
- Sound Synchronization displays color changes timed to your music
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- compatible with SongPal app for iPhone and Android
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry smartphones
- Quick-BrowZer and Jump Mode search features
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine improves digital file sound quality
- Mega Bass adds low-end depth to your music
- EQ10 10-band equalizer
- Subwoofer Direct Connection combines the two rear channels to power a sub
- high- and low-pass filters
- time alignment
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- remote control
- CEA-2006 compliant
- chassis width: 7.185"
- chassis height: 2.085"
- nose width: 7.385"
- nose height: 2.285"
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MEXM100BT
What's in the box:
- Marine CD receiver
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Power/Ground harness
- Speaker harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X231)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- Aux cap
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Pan-head machine screw
- Self-tapping screw
- Face fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Face fixing screw note
- Important Notice
- "Caution" note
Sony MEX-M100BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MEX-M100BT
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|Nano||3Gen and newer|
|Touch||2Gen and newer|
|iPhone||3G and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||40 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||100 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine Rated: The Sony MEX-M100BT marine-rated CD receiver is ready for the marine environment with a UV resistant coating and coated circuit board. The Sony marine receiver is specifically designed to withstand the ASTM G154 test for UV resistance. This means the faceplate is treated to resist fading and discoloring after prolonged exposure to UV light. The marine receiver uses coated circuit boards which safeguards them from the humid marine environment.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The Sony MEX-M100BT features a detachable face for theft prevention. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the head unit's front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the unit's built-in amplifier is used. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Variable Color Illumination: The Sony MEX-M100BT offers variable color LCD & button illumination. You can choose to use the same color for the LCD screen and button illumination, or use a separate color for each one. You can select between 15 preset colors or customize your own color using by adjusting the RGB range.
- Sound Synchronization: With selectable Sound Synchronization, the timing of the color change is synchronized with the audio source. The color changes according to synchronization of playing music.
- Motion Display: This feature shows moving patterns and a spectrum analyzer on the display when turned on.
- Brightness: To change the brightness of the display you can set the MEX-M100BT to one of three dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer), and Dimmer On (display always dim).
Auto Scroll: The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc or device.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Demo Mode: The head unit's demo mode can be turned On or Off.
SongPal (Music Center) App: Download Sony's free SongPal (Music Center) App onto your Bluetooth-paired iPhone (10.0+) or Android (4.2+) smartphone and take control of the Sony MEX-M100BT head unit right from your mobile device. You'll enjoy control over basic head unit functions, as well as navigation and seamless access to all your sources, music, apps, and more from your smartphone. The SongPal (Music Center) App also integrates Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony MEX-M100BT and lets you launch apps from the head unit. In addition the app can also be used to help customize sound and display settings of the Sony receiver.
- Receiver Sources: From the SongPal (Music Center) App on your smartphone device you can access and select the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track or Station. In addition, you'll be able to view song/artist information and station identification from the SongPal (Music Center) App on your mobile device.
- Add-On Applications: You can integrate music, movie, navigation, and other applications that are already on your smartphone device within the SongPal (Music Center) App for easier access. Once an app is selected within the SongPal (Music Center) App, your smartphone's screen will divert to selected app. Audio of that source will be played through the MEX-M100BT; any visual data will only be displayed by your iPhone or Android device. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Next Track are available from the head unit; advanced control functions are still done from your smartphone device.
- Volume & Sound Adjustments: You can access the head unit's sound menu and make adjustments from the app on your iPhone or Android device. Sound adjustments included Volume Up/Down, Balance/Fader, ClearAudio+, EQ, Mega Bass, Listening Position, DSEE, Auto Volume, and Sub Level.
- Display Settings: Using the SongPal (Music Center) App on your iPhone or Android device you can make adjustments to the head unit's front-panel LCD and button illumination. Make changes to the preset color of the LCD and/or button illumination, as well as activate or deactivate Sound Synchronization.
- Voice Recognition (Android only): You can use voice commands to ask for directions from Google maps or to play a particular song/artist in your smartphone's music library. You can even assign a music application within the SongPal (Music Center) App as a voice tag, so you can access it by simply speaking the name of the application. While using voice commands there will still be times where you have to make a selection on your smartphone's touchscreen.
- Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the MEX-M100BT and your vehicle's speakers to keep you safe and in touch. You can even reply to a text message via voice command and a list of preset replies.
IR Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X231) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Wired Remote Compatibility: In addition to the supplied wireless remote, the receiver can be controlled by an optional Sony wired marine remote (158RMX11M, sold separately) through its wired remote control input (3.5mm) on the rear-panel.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
High-Power Digital Amplifier: A built-in 4-channel class-D amplifier delivers up to a maximum of 40 watts RMS (100 watts Peak) of power per channel; approximately twice that of most head units, and comparable to the power output of a compact, external digital amplifier. The internal digital amplifier features a space-saving design that helps keep the receiver slim and compact.
Note: Because of its high-powered amplifier design, the Sony MEX-M100BT does require that a separate +12V constant power wire is run to the battery with a separate inline 15A fuse in vehicles with lower than a 15A fuse protecting the factory radio. Check out the "Accessories" tab for wiring kit. This Sony high-powered receiver won't work in systems where an outboard factory amplifier is still active.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the Sony MEX-M100BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the MEX-M100BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 40 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 100 watts x 4-channels (400 total watts)
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Sony MEX-M100BT is equipped with 5-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the low-pass crossover. You can even adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Note: You can connect a compact subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left or right rear speaker leads (but not both). Approximate power output for the direct subwoofer connection is 60 watts RMS. Same subwoofer controls apply.
High-Pass Filter: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car soundfield with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ10, ClearAudio+, Listening Position, Mega Bass, Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE), Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE), Advanced Auto Volume (AAV), and Loudness.
- EQ10: Select from a variety of EQ presets like R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band1 (32Hz), Band2 (63Hz), Band3 (125Hz), Band4 (250Hz), Band5 (500Hz), Band6 (1khz), Band7 (2khz), Band8 (4kHz), Band9 (8kHz), and Band10 (16kHz).
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ reproduces sound by optimizing the digital signal with the Sony recommended sound settings.
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- Mega Bass: Activate the Mega Bass sound setting to give your favorite tunes a bass boost. By utilizing DSP technologies, Mega Bass is able to efficiently enhance low frequency tones to deliver resonant, full-bodied bass that adds real depth to your audio.
- Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): DSEE improves digitally compressed music files by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process.
- Advanced Auto Volume (AAV) + Loudness: This feature adjusts the playback volume level of all playback sources to the optimum level. Loudness reinforces bass and treble for clear sound at low volume levels.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony MEX-M100BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony MEX-M100BT. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony MEX-M100BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can register up to nine Bluetooth enabled devices with the Sony head unit, but only one can be connected and used at a time. Once paired, the MEX-M100BT will automatically re-connect to your device when in close proximity. The head unit also offers unique pairing for Android smartphones and iPhones to make Bluetooth pairing even easier.
- Near Field Communication (for Android): Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the head unit's NFC tag on it rotary-knob. For older Android smartphones with older operating systems, download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
- USB Pairing (for iPhone): You can pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Sony head unit via USB and activating the Bluetooth function on your Apple device.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Sony MEX-M100BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the MEX-M100BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the MEX-M100BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the MEX-M100BT, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 1,000 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use to easily redial the last number you called.
Note: The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the level of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 11' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone comes with a mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.515" (depth).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ AAC): The Sony MEX-M100BT supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC music streaming.
- Stored Music & Music Apps: You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Sony MEX-M100BT for playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MEX-M100BT offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the MEX-M100BT offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat) for both stored music and music apps, the MEX-M100BT provides a Search List of your stored music by Category or Playlist (AVRCP 1.4 devices only; which includes Android OS 4.0+ and Apple iOS 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control (for iPhone): When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Sony MEX-M100BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply activate the "voice dial" function on the MEX-M100BT to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the head unit and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the MEX-M100BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone).
Disc Compatibility: The Sony MEX-M100BT features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports the playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source.
- Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0° (horizontal) and 45°.
Front-Panel USB Port: The head unit feature a front-panel USB (type-A) port hidden behind a slide-out cover. The receiver's USB port can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB device; such as USB thumbdrives and select digital portable audio players. The head unit can play MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV music files stored on compatible USB device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support Android devices.
Music File Playback: The Sony MEX-M100BT supports the a variety of music files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device; see below for details.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB MSC Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Romeo, or Joliet,||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps with sampling rate of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps with sampling rate of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling rate of 11.025-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps with sampling rate of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps with sampling rate of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling rate of 11.025-48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16 or 24-bit with sampling rate of 44.1kHz or 48kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit with sampling rate of 44.1kHz or 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||150 folders/300 files||10,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Song/Artist Information: The CD receiver can display the following ID3/WMA-tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Playback & Search Functions: The Sony CD receiver offers a variety of unique playback & search functions.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD or connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music folder in 10% increments.
- Repeat/Random: Repeat a single track or repeat an entire folder. Shuffle all tracks or a specific folder.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The MEX-M100BT's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display. The USB connection bypasses the iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the head unit's 24-bit DAC to maximize sound quality. You can choose to control the your iPod/iPhone from the head unit (Head Unit Control Mode) or from the Apple device's clickwheel/touchscreen (Passenger App Control).
- Head Unit Control + Song/Artist Info: The MEX-M100BT's Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast from the head unit's front-panel control; content in each category will be listed alphabetically. The unit also offers basic playback controls; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. During Head Unit Control mode, the MEX-M100BT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including track #, elapsed playing time, song title, artist name, and album label. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to use your Apple device's touchscreen to navigate your stored music and access music apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Passenger App Control: In Passenger App Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone device through its clickwheel or touchscreen; as well as music apps on an iPhone (iOS 3.0+). Basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track are still available from the head unit. The Passenger App Control mode does not offer song/artist information display. Not all apps will be compatible with this mode.
Note: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB (1.5A) connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone (not iPad). If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony MEX-M100BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of2/20/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||SongPal(Music Center)||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu, so it does not appear as an available source.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony MEX-M100BT CD receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony MEX-M100BT CD receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone. The Sony MEX-M100BT will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Android smartphone. Your iPhone (iOS 10.0+) will need to be connected to the head unit's front-panel USB port with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's App Store. Your Android smartphone must be connected via Bluetooth to the Sony MEX-M100BT (no hard-wired connection required); your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Google Play Store. Your Android smartphone must also support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony MEX-M100BT provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony MEX-M100BT is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
The Sony MEX-M100BT replaces these items
- Siri Eyes Free for iPhone and Voice Access for Android with compatible phones
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
37 questions already asked