About the Sony MDR-NC50
Constant noises can be tiring from the drone of an airplane engine, to the background chatter of a busy office. Sony's MDR-NC50 noise-canceling headphones quiet that outside racket while delivering top-quality sound from your MP3 player or other audio source. Hear your music more clearly, without high volume levels and strain on your ears.
The 'NC50s are ideal for use on a plane or while riding in trains and buses. The 'phones include an adapter for use with airline audio systems, and fold flat for convenient storage. They're great for total escape at home, too. You can even detach the cord and just let the noise-canceling feature give you a little extra peace and quiet.
- around-the-ear, sealed earcup design
- up to 14 dB reduction of ambient noise
- on/off switch for passive (standard) or active (noise-canceling) operation
- accepts "AAA" battery (not included) for up to 30 hours of noise-canceling operation
- 59-inch cord with gold-plated stereo mini plug
- frequency response 14-22,000 Hz
- adapter for airline systems included
- impedance: 40 ohms
- weight: 10 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MDRNC50
What's in the box:
- Noise-canceling headphones
- Vinyl storage pouch
- Plug adapter for in-flight use (single/dual mini-jack)
- Gold-plated stereo 1/4" to mini-plug adapter
- 62" Extension cable with gold-plated stereo mini-jack on one end and stereo mini-plug on the other end)
- Limited warranty sheet
- Notes on the MDR-NC50 sheet
- Operating Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MDR-NC50
Overview: The MDR-NC50 headphones can be used for flights, trains, noisy workplaces, car pools, musicians, etc. These noise-canceling headphones reduce ambient noise and provide a quieter environment while listening to audio. Microphones built into the headphones pick up ambient noise. The noise-canceling circuit synthesizes the same signal 180° out of phase with the original signal, and introduces it into the headphones. This reduces lower frequency ambient noise (40-1,500 Hz with over 14 dB reduction at 300 Hz). The headphones will work even if no music is being played, allowing you to use them for simply reducing ambient noise. Note: These headphones can be used without power as regular passive headphones, however the noise-canceling circuitry will no longer work.
Neodymium Magnets: These headphones use 40mm drivers with strong, lightweight neodymium magnets to deliver powerful sound.
Built-in Monitor Button: Found on the outer side of the left earcup, this button turns off the noise-canceling circuit, allowing you to hear surrounding sound without taking off the headphones.
Plug Adapters: The MDR-NC50 comes with two plug adapters, a 1/4" to mini-plug adapter, and a dual mini-jack in-flight adapter.
Battery: The MDR-NC50 uses one "AAA" battery to power the noise-canceling feature. Estimated battery life is 30 hours with an alkaline "AAA" battery and 15 hours with a standard "AAA" battery.
Vinyl Case: The MDR-NC50 comes with a case to house the headphones in during traveling or storage. There is a b pocket on the inside for the 1/4" adapter as well as one for the in-flight adapter. There is also a strap on the inside that will secure the mini-jack to mini-jack cable.
- Type: Dynamic, closed
- Driver Unit: 40mm, dome type
- 40 ohms at 1k power on
- 100 at 1k power off
- 102 dB/mW power on
- 100 dB/mW power off
- Weight: 11 oz. including battery
- Power source: DC 1.5V (1 AAA battery, not included)
- Battery Life: Alkaline=approx 30 hours, Regular = approx 15 hours
- Frequency range of active noise attenuation: 40-1,500 Hz, >14dB at 300Hz