About the Sony MDR-Z7M2
Premium feel, wide-open sound
The Sony MDR-Z7M2 pairs with a Sony Walkman high-res player (sold separately) for a premium portable listening experience.
Premium feel, wide-open sound
The Sony MDR-Z7M2 headphones are like any great sequel — they take what we loved about the originals and turn it up a notch. These headphones are are as comfortable as their predecessor, but Sony has tweaked their sound signature a bit. They sound much more spacious than a typical set of closed-backs.
I had a short listening session, but the MDR-Z7M2's large soundstage was noticeable right away. It extended far out from my head, and the stereo imaging was spot on. All the instruments and vocals were spread out and properly separated.
Some of the most comfortable large-sized headphones I've ever worn
Sinking into the Sony MDR-Z7M2 headphones is a real treat. These are large headphones that seemed to encompass my whole head. But though the scales have them at almost a full pound, the weight was distributed so that it felt like much less.
The massive ear pads feel incredibly soft, and are shaped so that they cushion more sensitive pressure points. Sony added extra padding behind the ears. This directs the drivers so they deliver that open, well-positioned sound.
Specially designed drivers
How else do these headphones produce sound so accurately and powerfully? For one, the dynamic drivers are huge — 70mm to be exact. And new to this second-generation model: strong, aluminum-coated diaphragms that can move fluidly.
An exploded view of the massive, intricately designed driver
Sony also included a supersized neodymium magnet that doubles the circumference of the magnet used in the original MDR-Z27. That means the large, ultralight diaphragms start and stop quickly to reproduce mids and vocals with even greater precision and detail.
Moving some air
Rather than use a traditional grille, Sony opted for a Fibonacci pattern that helps keep air flowing in a specific way that lowers resonance. It also helps produce smoother highs without harsh peaks.
Large vents on the bottom of both ear cups help accentuate the bass. While these vents did allow some noise to creep in when I wore them in the office, it wasn't very noticeable when I hit play and started listening.
Several ways to connect
These headphones include a cable with Sony's 4.4mm balanced headphone plug. Sony developed this new industry standard connection for balanced headphone operation, and it promises to cut down on signal noise and distortion. You'll also find this connection on Sony's TA-ZH1ES headphone amp, and NW-WM1A Premium Walkman® portable high-resolution music player.
There are also more traditional headphone connections. Sony includes another silver-coated oxygen-free cable with an unbalanced 3.5mm mini plug. Plus they include a 1/4" adapter.
- large over-ear, closed-back headphones
- soft, extra-thick leather earpads
- ergonomically shaped for supreme comfort
- durable aluminum alloy frame, sliders, and hinges
- a high-powered headphone amplifier like the Sony TA-ZH1ES is required for optimum performance
Driver and Sound Details:
- extra-large dynamic 70mm drivers with aluminum-coated, Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragms
- offers spacious sound with exquisite clarity
- delivers wide-range frequency response
- supersized Neodymium magnet for faster response and clearer musical detail
- Fibonacci patterned grille for natural, efficient airflow
- inspired by the spiral pattern of a sunflower
- helps lower resonances and smooth out high-end harshness
- large acoustic ports on each earcup control airflow for tight, accurate bass response
Accessories and Specs:
- 10-ft silver-coated oxygen-free cable with gold-plated miniplug
- 49-inch silver-coated oxygen-free cable with balanced 4.4mm headphone plug
- 1/4" adapter included
- frequency response: 4-100,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 56 dB
- impedance: 70 ohms
- weight: 15.3 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MDRZ7M2
What's in the box:
- Over-the-ear headphones
- 48" Balanced audio cable (right-angled 4.4mm plug)
- 10' Stereo cable (3.5mm plug)
- 3.5mm-to-1/4" Adapter
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet (US/Canada)
- Disposal Guidelines
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MDR-Z7M2
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||4.004" x 4.004"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||4-100k Hz|
|Cord Length||120" + 48"|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony MDR-Z7M2 is the "Mark 2" version of the Signature Series MDR-Z7 high-resolution, over-ear headphones. Like its predecessor, the MDR-Z7M2 features exceptional sound quality and technologies. These ultra-comfortable headphones have soft urethane cushions that provide an acoustic seal around your ears. With silicon rings around every moving axis, you'll get smooth and silent earcup movement in all directions. Two cables are included with the headphones, including one with balanced connections.
Drivers: The MDR-Z7M2 is equipped with 70mm (2.76") ALCP (Aluminum-coated Liquid Polymer) dome-type drivers that deliver a wide frequency response, ranging from sub-harmonic lows (4 Hz) to ultra-sonic highs (up to 100kHz) for natural, soothing sound reproduction. The headphones have a newly developed Dynamic Neodymium magnet that's double the volume of the MDR-Z7, to give the Z7M2 more driving power and a faster response to hi-res signals for clearer sound. The thin, Fibonacci-patterned grill is made of solid resin to minimize sound damping while maintaining its strength.
Ergonomic Ear Pads: The MDR-Z7M2 features synthetic leather ear pads with soft, thick urethane foam cushions. The 3D-stitched surfaces create an ergonomic shape that fits the shape of your head, and applies equal pressure around your ears. The ear pads create an air-tight seal to prevent sound leakage and to optimize the powerful bass response.
Detachable Cables: The headphones come with two detachable cables with silver-coated OFC (oxygen-free copper) conductors. At the headphones, the cables have 3.5mm plugs with screw-on collars to ensure they stay plugged in. The 10-foot stereo cable has a single 3.5mm plug with a narrow collar that works with most smartphone cases. A 3.5mm-to-1/4" adapter is provided for those times when you want to listen to your home audio components or use a headphone amplifier. For the ultimate headphone experience, the included 4-foot balanced audio cable with the new 4.4mm (0.17") plug, which is compatible with Sony's NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A hi-res music players.
- Frequency Response: 4Hz - 100kHz
- Impedance: 56 ohms at 1 kHz
- Power Handling Capacity: 2000mW
- Sensitivity: 98dB / mW
- Weight: 12 ounces (w/o cable), 15.3 ounces (with 10' cable)
The Sony MDR-Z7M2 replaces these items
- over-the-ear, closed design
- extra-large 70mm drivers offer exquisite detail and accuracy
- includes balanced and unbalanced detachable cables for connection to a wide variety of sources and headphone amps