About the Sony Xplod MEX-BT2700
Imagine cruising down the road talking on your phone hands-free. The Sony Xplod MEX-BT2700 CD receiver features built-in Bluetooth® connectivity that lets you make and receive calls through your car's speakers, so you can keep your phone in your pocket and your hands on the wheel. You can also stream music files wirelessly from your compatible Bluetooth device to get convenient playback on the go.
Plays your music
Even if your audio player doesn't have wireless capability, you can still plug it into this receiver's auxiliary input to hear your favorite selections. Or you can hook up your iPod® with an optional adapter (available soon), and enjoy your collection of tunes during your ride.
The MEX-BT2700 plays all your CDs with incredible fidelity, whether they're storebought discs or ones you've burned with MP3 or WMA files. You can can also hook up a Sony satellite radio for commercial-free music, or add a Sony HD Radio tuner for superb radio reception and extra programming from your local participating stations.
The powerful internal amplifier offers power and clarity that'll make music exciting again, and you can control and adjust the MEX-BT2700's sound with its 3-band equalizer or seven preset EQ curves. For even more dynamic impact, you can use the two sets of preamp outputs to connect and control any amps and subs in your system.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity works with compatible cell phones, music players, and more
- Bluetooth features include hands-free calling, integrated microphone, high-quality audio streaming, and control of compatible equipment (no phone book transfer or Caller ID)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable faceplate
- remote control
- EQ3 3-band equalizer with preset sound curves
- compatible with Sony's iPod® adapter, HD Radio tuner, and satellite radio
- inputs: front auxiliary input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (front, rear/sub)
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X304)
- CR2025 lithium battery (installed in remote control)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face security screw
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Bluetooth quick guide (English/French)
- Installation/Connection instructions (English/French)
- US Warranty sheet
- Canada Warranty sheet
- Note on installing face security screw
Sony Xplod MEX-BT2700 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Xplod MEX-BT2700
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
External Device Controls
Overview: The Sony MEX-BT2700 single CD receiver is equipped with Bluetooth technology, offering hands-free calling as well as music streaming from a compatible Bluetooth phone or music player. In addition, you can connect other music sources, such as an iPod, HD Radio tuner, or CD changer.
Bluetooth Wireless Communication: The MEX-BT2700 has built-in Bluetooth hardware to integrate with Bluetooth-enabled cellular phones and audio players, including the Apple iPhone. Bluetooth (Standard Bluetooth version 2.0) is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls, and listen to a Bluetooth audio device. Up to 8 phones or audio devices can be registered with the MEX-BT2700. You can adjust the volume for each connected Bluetooth audio device from -8 to +18dB. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of about 10 meters (about 33 feet). For a list of compatible Bluetooth devices, please visit the Sony e-support website (esupport.sony.com). The MEX-BT2700 supports the following Bluetooth profiles:
- Hands-Free Talk (HFP 1.5/HSP): Incoming calls can be received through this head unit, and the ring tone is output from your car speakers. Incoming calls can be rejected if desired. To make a call from this unit, only redial is used. To call another phone, you will need to dial the number on your cell phone, and then transfer the call to the head unit. The unit can be set to automatically reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device when the ignition is turned on. The phone rings, and you hear the caller's voice through the front speakers (left, right, or both). The BT2700 has a built-in microphone located behind the detachable faceplate. The MEX-BT2700 also supports Voice Dial Activation which allows you to activate voice dialing with a compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile-phone by saying the voice tag stored in your cellular phone.
- Music Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): You can listen to music from an audio device that supports A2DP Bluetooth technology. Cellular phones that support A2DP and have music stored in its memory can be played through this head unit. You can listen to and perform some operations on an audio device that supports AVRCP Bluetooth technology. On some devices, you can pause and resume playback and skip tracks by pressing buttons on the head unit.
Note: The Apple iPhone does not support wireless audio streaming or voice dialing.
Disc Compatibility: The CD receiver will play CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs. The head unit also supports CD Text. The receiver will also play MP3 and WMA files stored on a CD-R or CD-RW.
Radio Tuning: The MEX-BT2700 allows you to manual tune or seek tune AM/FM stations. In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning. The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2. The Best Tuning Memory feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency.
EQ3 Stage 2: EQ3 Stage 2 offers 7 EQ presets, each of which has a preset value for 3 bands: Low (60Hz), Middle (1kHz), and High (10kHz). The EQ presets and the band values are as follows:
- Xplod: Low: +6, Middle: +0, High: +2
- Vocal: Low: +2, Middle: +6, High: +0
- Edge: Low: +4, Middle: -2, High: +5
- Cruise: Low: +2, Middle: +0, High: +1
- Space: Low: +2, Middle: +3, High: +6
- Gravity: Low: +6, Middle: 0, High: +2
- Off (flat): Low: 0, Middle: 0, High: 0
- Custom: Adjustable -10dB to +10dB for each band (Low, Middle, High)
Loudness: This feature allows you to listen to your music clearly at low volume levels by reinforcing the bass and treble. The bass level is increased to +4 dB at 100 Hz while the treble level is increased to +2 dB a 10 kHz.
Preamp Outputs: The MEX-BT2700 contains two pairs of RCA preamp outputs - a front pair and another pair that can be set for the rear channels or for subwoofer operation. When set to subwoofer, the output becomes non-fading and a low pass filter is activated with a selectable cut-off frequency of 160Hz, 140Hz, 120Hz, 100Hz, 80Hz, or Off. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments.
High Pass Filter: The BT2700 has a high pass filter for the front and rear preamp and speaker outputs, with a selectable cutoff frequency of 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 140Hz, or 160Hz.
Front Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable cassette, MD or MP3 player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu so it doesn't appear as an available source.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the MEX-BT2700 to one of two dimmer modes - Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer) or Dimmer On (display always dim).
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Eject: The CD disc can be ejected with the power off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected but not removed for 15 seconds or more.
45-Degree Installation: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
Remote Control: The MEX-BT2700 comes with the RM-X304 wireless remote commander for operating the basic audio functions of this unit, as well as the Bluetooth Communication functions. Dimensions: Width = 1.667", Height = 3.938", Depth = 0.443".
Optional Wired Remote Control: This unit also has a 3.5mm minijack input for the optional RM-X4S wired rotary commander. In addition, the PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface is compatible with this head unit. The SWI-PS interface allows you to retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles with a Sony head unit with wired remote capability. In some GM vehicles, this adapter allows you to retain heater control buttons as well.
HD Radio Ready: The MEX-BT2700 is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY).
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the XM Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter (item number 158XA300).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
iPod Ready: The optional Sony XA-120IP iPod Control Interface (158XA120IP, sold separately) allows an iPod (3rd generation or newer, but not the iPod shuffle) digital music player with a dock connector to be connected to and controlled by the Sony head unit. All the iPod buttons will be disabled when connected to this adapter and it will be controlled from the Sony receiver. With this interface, you'll be able to play your iPod music files through the Sony receiver and have all the titling information appear on the head unit's display. Using the optional XA-C40 (item number 158XAC40), this adapter and two other compatible Sony UniLink devices (satellite tuner, CD changer, etc) can be controlled by the same receiver.
Note: The optional XA-120IP will not charge the iPod nano 4th generation and the iPod touch 2nd generation. The Scosche Passport accessory (142IFWA) allows these iPods to be charged with this unit.
Changer Controls: This unit is compatible with Sony UniLink CD/MP3 and MD changers. In addition, this unit can control compatible Sony Mobile Memory Stick players. A maximum of 5 CD changers, 5 CD/MP3 changers, or 5 MD changers may be connected to this receiver. When connecting CD, CD/MP3 and MD changers, you may connect up to a total of 7 changers (but there must not be more than 5 of one type of changer). When connecting more than one changer to this receiver, you must use the Sony XA-C40 source selector.
Optional Auxiliary Input: You can connect an auxiliary audio device (such as a portable digital memory player, cassette, MiniDisc, or VCR) when used with the optional XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter. The XA-300 uses the UniLink and Bus Audio inputs on the back of the receiver, and allows you to connect an optional CD/MD changer in addition to the auxiliary audio source.