About the Sony MEX-M70BT
One rugged radio
One rugged radio
Sony's MEX-M70BT CD receiver offers all the features you want in a new receiver, plus the water-resistant toughness you need in a receiver that's destined for a life in the great outdoors. Built-in Bluetooth® and a handy front USB input give you plenty of ways to play your tunes, while the specialized circuit board coating and UV-resistant front panel ensure that this receiver will stand up to life on the water or on the trail.
This element-ready receiver features built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with Simple Secure Pairing, so you can take calls and listen to music (including your favorite Pandora channels) with minimal effort and maximum quality. NFC (Near Field Communication) technology gives you instant pairing with compatible devices —simply touch your phone to the NFC logo, and you're paired up.
Sony's App Remote gives you voice control for select smartphones, plus you can take advantage of one-touch voice activation for your iPhone® using Bluetooth. You can also plug your iPod®, iPhone, or other compatible device into the two USB ports and play music while charging the device. Sony's Quick-BrowZer® feature lets you find your music by artist, album, genre, song or playlist.
Get the sound you want
The MEX-M70BT features a built-in Dynamic Reality Amp that's designed to produce plenty of power without noise or distortion. You can also customize the sound to suit your musical tastes using the built-in 10-band equalizer, selectable low- and high-pass crossovers, and other soundshaping tools. If you're planning on expanding your system in the future, you can use the full set of 5-volt RCA preamp outputs to send a strong, clean signal to your marine-rated amps.
You'll also enjoy plenty of control options with the MEX-M70BT. The intuitive front panel is easy to learn, but when you're away from the receiver, you can use your smartphone or the included wireless remote. With Passenger Control for iPhone® and iPod® devices, your guests can play DJ while you're at the helm. This receiver also works with the SiriusXM SXV300V1 tuner (not included), allowing you to enjoy satellite radio programming even when you're miles offshore or deep in the wilderness.
Ideal for the outdoors
Sony built this marine-rated receiver to handle rugged conditions on land and sea. It features a conformal coating that keeps moisture out of the internal circuitry, plus special covers for the inputs on the front panel. It's great choice for boats, Jeeps, convertibles, golf carts, and other applications where a regular CD player isn't a great long-term option.
The detachable front display shows song title and artist info, then gives you caller ID info when you get a call. You'll be able to see all that info in the sunniest conditions, too, thanks to the anti-glare white display background.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Installation notes: This marine radio is water-resistant, but we recommend mounting it in a water-resistant enclosure or using a cover for best performance.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- marine CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- ideal for boats, Jeeps, convertibles, and more
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- white display background is easier to read in bright sunlight
- plays MP3, WMA, and WAV files on CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
- detachable face and wireless remote
- coated circuit boards, UV-resistant front panel
- memory backup stores favorite settings
- 10-band equalizer plus time alignment
- subwoofer level control
- high- and low-pass filters
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front and rear USB ports, front-panel auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, and sub)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- external microphone included
- wireless remote (also works with optional wired remotes)
- CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MEX-M70BT
What's in the box:
- Marine CD receiver (w/ 10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X231)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- Rubber Aux cap
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Metal backstrap
- Pan-head machine screw
- Self-tapping screws
- Face fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Installation/Connections sheet (En/Fr)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Face fixing screw note
- Aux cap note
- Important Notice
Sony MEX-M70BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MEX-M70BT
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue/Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, WAV|
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The Sony MEX-M70BT digital media receiver features a detachable face for theft prevention (no face case included). An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
1-Line LCD w/ Dimmer + Auto Scroll: The single-line LCD features black text with a white background that makes it easy to read station and song information. The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed. To change the brightness of the display you can set the receiver to one of three dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer), and Dimmer On (display always dim).
Note: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Blue or Red Button Illumination: You can switch the head unit's button illumination to Blue or Red.
Auto Off: When installing in a boat without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony MEX-M70BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.1), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony MEX-M70BT.
Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony MEX-M70BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can register up to nine Bluetooth enabled devices with the Sony head unit and keep two devices connected at all times (only one can be used at a time). Once paired, the MEX-M70BT will automatically re-connect to your device when in close proximity. The head unit also offers unique pairing for Android and iPhone smartphone to make Bluetooth pairing even easier.
- Near Field Communication (for Android): Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the head unit's NFC tag on it rotary-knob. For older Android smartphones with OS 4.0 or lower, download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
- USB Pairing (for iPhone): You can pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Sony head unit via USB and activating the Bluetooth function on your Apple device.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Sony MEX-M70BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the MEX-M70BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the MEX-M70BT, you can dial a phone
number in one of the following ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 1,000 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use to easily redial the last number you called.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Sony MEX-M70BT can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat) for both stored music and music apps, the MEX-M70BT provides a Search List of your stored music by Category or Playlist (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display device's stored music and music app song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or 5/5C/5S via Bluetooth (not USB), the Sony MEX-M70BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel control and external microphone. Simply activate the "voice dial" function on the MEX-M70BT to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the head unit and its microphone. You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone 4S/5/5C/5S. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the MEX-M70BT ; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports the playback of MP3/WMA music files on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
Dual USB Ports: The marine receiver features dual USB ports; one on the front-panel and one attached to the rear chassis by a 59" cable. The receiver's front-and rear-panel USB (type-A) ports can be used for plugging in (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB devices, such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. The head unit can play MP3, WMA, and WAV music files stored on compatible USB device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not Android compatible.
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback: The Sony MEX-M70BT supports the following types of MP3, WMA, WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB MSC Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Romeo, or Joliet,||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate up to 320kbps |
WMA: bit rate up to 320kbps
WAV (USB only): bit rate of 8-/16-bit
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||150 folders/300 files||10,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver can display the following ID3/WMA-tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Playback & Search Functions: The Sony CD receiver offers a variety of unique playback & search functions.
- Track/Folder List: The head unit can display a list of MP3/WMA/WAV folders and tracks on a loaded CD or USB device, so you can easily access your music.
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music folder in 10% increments.
- Repeat/Random: Repeat a single track or repeat an entire folder. Shuffle all tracks or a specific folder.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45-degrees.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The MEX-M70BT's front- or rear-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display. The USB connection bypasses the iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the head unit's 24-bit DAC to maximize sound quality. You can choose to control the your iPod/iPhone from the head unit (Head Unit Control Mode) or from the Apple device's clickwheel/touchscreen (Passenger App Control).
- Head Unit Control + Song/Artist Info: The MEX-M70BT's Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast from the head unit's front-panel control; content in each category will be listed alphabetically. The unit also offers basic playback controls; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. During Head Unit Control mode, the MEX-M70BT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including track #, elapsed playing time, song title, artist name, and album label. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to use your Apple device's touchscreen to navigate your stored music and access music apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Passenger App Control: In Passenger App Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone device through its clickwheel or touchscreen; as well as music apps on an iPhone (iOS 3.0+). Basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track are still available from the head unit. The Passenger App Control mode does not offer song/artist information display. Not all apps will be compatible with this mode.
Note: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony MEX-M70BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/2/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||App Remote||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu, so it does not appear as an available source.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony MEX-M70BT lets you playback and control the online Pandora music service that is being streamed to your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). The MEX-M70BT will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony MEX-M70BT provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony MEX-M70BT is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony MEX-M70BT CD receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The redesigned, internal Dynamic Reality Amp circuitry boasts 47% lower internal resistance compared to conventional in-dash receiver, delivering 55 watts x 4 channels of Peak power to your vehicle's speakers. This allows you to crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels, and smooth frequency response. The power output specs for the MEX-M70BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony MEX-M70BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Sony MEX-M70BT is equipped with 5-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the low-pass crossover. You can even adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Note: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left or right rear speaker leads (but not both). Same subwoofer controls apply.
High-Pass Filter: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ10, ClearAudio+, Listening Position, Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE), Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE), Advanced Auto Volume (AAV), and Loudness.
- EQ10 w/ ClearAudio+: R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band1 (32Hz), Band2 (63Hz), Band3 (125Hz), Band4 (250Hz), Band5 (500Hz), Band6 (1khz), Band7 (2khz), Band8 (4kHz), Band9 (8kHz), and Band10 (16kHz).
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far
- Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): DSEE improves digitally compressed music files by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process.
- Advanced Auto Volume (AAV) + Loudness: This feature adjusts the playback volume level of all playback sources to the optimum level. Loudness reinforces bass and treble for clear sound at low volume levels.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
App Remote Technology: Sony's App Remote Technology offers two-way communication between the Sony MEX-M70BT and your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 5+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (2.1-2.3 Froyo/Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0-4.2). You will need to download the free Sony App Remote application from the Apple App Store or the Google Play App Store. This application integrates compatible Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony CD receiver and lets you launch apps from the head unit. You can operate basic functionality of compatible audio apps directly from the receiver (operation differs depending on the app). Movie and navigation apps will continue to be controlled from your smartphone. In addition, you can control the receiver's sources directly from the application on your smartphone using simple finger gestures and see detailed source information on the phone's touchscreen.
- Receiver Sources: The App Remote lets you access the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, iPhone, Bluetooth, and Aux sources from your phone's touchscreen. You can use finger gestures to tap, flick left/right, or flick up/down on the phone's touchscreen in order to change AM/FM Band, Play/Pause a track, Seek Up/Down a track or station, select a Preset, or access an Album. You will also be able to see song/artist information from MP3/WMA and smartphone sources, as well as station identification numbers from AM/FM radio.
- Compatible Apps (as of 2/19/2014): The App Remote also
provides various music, movie, and navigation apps which can be accesses
from the Sony MEX-M70BT's source list. Available operation differs depending
on the application.
- Music Apps: Music apps include; Pandora, AUPEO!, iHeartRadio, Livio Radio (iOS only), MOG, and TuneIn. The head unit only provides basic playback functions (Play/Pause, Skip Track, or Next Station) and no song/artist information for these music apps.
- Movie Apps: Movie apps include Netflix and YouTube. Video will be displayed on your smartphone's screen, while the audio plays through your vehicle's speakers. You can control Play/Pause from the MEX-M70BT. Other playback functions will need to done on your smartphone. Subscription may be required. You should not watch videos while your vehicle is in motion.
- Navigation Apps: Supported navigation apps include Apple Maps, Google Maps, INRIX Traffic (iOS only), Navfree GPS Live USA (iOS only), and MotionX GPS Drive. The map screen will display on your smartphone's touchscreen, while audible directions can be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can continue to listen to music while navigating; the unit will attenuate your music during a navigation voice-prompt. Control of the navigation apps will still be done through your smartphone's touchscreen. Fees may apply for some navigation apps & functions.
- Voice Communication + Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, App Remote technology for the MEX-M70BT head unit adds a voice user interface for voice control of apps and functions such as navigation and music playback, notification readouts including RSS feeds, Twitter, and text message reply. Through voice operation, you can safely and comfortably operate your smartphone in the car from the Sony MEX-M70BT CD receiver. Incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the MEX-M70BT and your vehicle's speakers to keep you in touch.
- Custom Sound Settings: From your Android smartphone remote screen, you get access to audio & DSP settings (Equalizer, Volume Control, Fader/Balance/Subwoofer, and Listening Position).
Note: Access to the music, movie, and navigation apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X231) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.SWC Input: The steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit also lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The Sony MEX-M70BT replaces these items
21 questions already asked