About the Sony MHS-PM1 Webbie HD
Sony's ultra-compact MHS-PM1 Webbie HD features a fun, vertical design and a unique swiveling lens for camcorder fans with a go-anywhere, film-anything attitude. This web-friendly cam records high-quality MPEG-4 videos and 5-megapixel still images, and stores them on optional Memory Stick® PRO Duo cards. MPEG-4 is a very popular and flexible video format that compresses your movies for easy posting on most video-sharing sites, like YouTube.
Easy recording features
Separate "Movie" and "Still" buttons let you easily select what you want to record, or you can switch to the dual capture mode to take photos while you're recording. You can power on the MHS-PM1 simply by swiveling the lens, which rotates 270° for easy filming at odd angles, such as recording yourself for a video blog. And this cam is so light and small just over 4 oz. and 4 inches long you can slip it into a pocket or a purse and take it with you wherever you go.
Read our blog post What's a "web-friendly" camcorder?
Storage and Formats:
- records high-def MPEG-4 video Memory Stick® PRO Duo cards (not included)
- optional 16GB Memory Stick PRO Duo holds approximately 5 to 16 hours of footage, depending on video settings
- built-in 12MB flash memory records up to 45 seconds of video or 75 still images
- maximum video resolution 1440 x 1080
- ultra-compact, vertical design with swivel lens that rotates up to 270°
- 5.04-megapixel CMOS image sensor (2.07 effective in 16:9 mode)
- digital photo mode takes 5-megapixel (effective) photos
- 16:9 widescreen mode for video only
- Dolby® Digital 2-channel audio from built-in microphone
- 1-3/4" LCD screen
- 4X digital zoom lens
- simultaneous video recording and photo capture
- 5 Program AE (Auto Exposure) settings, including Sports, Landscape, Low Light, and Backlight
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- analog audio/video output
- 2-1/4"W x 4-1/8"H x 15/16"D
- weight: 4.2 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- AC adapter/charger
- rechargeable battery (NP-BK1)
- audio/video and USB cables
- wrist strap
- Picture Motion Browser software for transferring and copying videos (Windows® only)
- MFR # MHSPM1/D
What's in the box:
- HD mini-Camcorder (orange
- NP-BK1 Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V/3.4Wh)
- BC-CSKA Battery charger
- 24" USB cable with a mini-USB type-B connector on one end and a standard USB type-A connector on other end
- 58" Component A/V cable with component video connectors and stereo RCA connectors on one end and a proprietary connector on other end
- 58" A/V cable with a composite video connector and stereo RCA connectors on one end and a proprietary connector on other end
- Wrist strap
- Picture Motion Browser CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- On-Line Product Registration sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MHS-PM1 Webbie HD
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||1.8|
|Total Pixel Count||5,040,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||2,070,000|
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Optical Zoom||1 x|
|Night Imaging||Low Light|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||100|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||3:2, 4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||4.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||---|
Overview: The Sony MHC-PM1 Webbie HD camera allows you to record HD MP4 video and 5 megapixels images and then easily upload them directly to the web. The ultra-compact Webbie HD camera also features a unique lens system that can swivel up to 270-degrees, allowing for easy self-shooting if you like to post videos of yourself on your blog. The Webbie HD camera is available in silver, orange, and eggplant.
Compact Size: Approximately 2.195" wide x 4.085" tall x 0.935" deep, the Webbie HD is ultra-compact and easy to carry with you in your bag or pocket.
1.8" LCD Screen: The Webbie HD camera features a 1.8" LCD with 230,400 pixels that lets you clearly and instantly see what you are filming. Combined with the unique swiveling lens, the LCD screen also makes "self-shooting" easy if you like to post videos on your blog.
Unique Swivel Lens: The Webbie HD camera features a unique lens that swivels up to 270-degrees, and when rotated, instantly powers on the camera so you can start recording video or taking still shots immediately.
12 MB Internal Memory: This camcorder has 12 MB of internal memory. Even when there is no Memory Stick inserted in the camcorder, you can record images or very short video clips using the internal memory. This memory is not removable.
Memory Stick Pro Duo Media Slot: Record video and still images directly to Memory Stick PRO Duo and Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo media (sold separately), for easy transfer to a compatible PC or Mac for e-mailing, printing, or sharing with other Memory Stick PRO Duo compatible devices (sold separately). You can record up to 8.5 hours of HD video footage or thousands of photos (based on 16GB media) on ultra-small Memory Stick PRO Duo media (sold separately).
Note: You can copy video clips and still images stored on the camcorder internal memory to an inserted Memory Stick Pro Duo card.
5MP CMOS Sensor: The Sony Webbie HD camcorder features a 7.13mm (1/2.5) CMOS sensor imaging device with 5,040,000 gross pixels. The 2,074,000 effective video pixels provide detail and clarity for high definition and standard definition video. The 5,040,000 effective still megapixels provide great digital still photography performance.
HD Video and 5MP Still Pictures: The Webbie HD camcorder lets you record your favorite moments in High Definition MP4 (H.264) format and features a 5 megapixel CMOS sensor that lets you take crisp 5 megapixel JPEG still images. MP4 is a popular multimedia format that compresses the size of your audio and video, making your media files small enough to easily transfer to your compatible PC or Mac. MP4 is also highly compatible with the Web, so you can effortlessly upload your media to popular photo or video-sharing websites like Photobucket or YouTube (compatible PC with internet capability required).
Dual Record Buttons: Enjoy the convenience of individual "Movie" and "Still" buttons that allow you to seamlessly switch from video recording to still photo capture with the simple press of a button. The Webbie HD camcorder also lets you capture both motion video and still imagery without the need to switch capture modes so you do not have to miss catching a special moment again.
Note: You cannot shoot still images while shooting movies simultaneously.
4x Digital Zoom: The Webbie HD camera features a 4x Digital zoom that lets you move in close and capture the action in crisp detail.
5 Scene Selection Modes: Choose between 5 unique scene selection modes to capture still images and record high-quality video or in different setting or lighting environments. Choose among these 5 modes - Sports, Landscape, Low Light, Backlight and Auto to optimize your results in various lighting conditions.
Self-Timer: You can set the Self-Timer mode to a 10-second delay so you can be in the picture or movie.Flicker Cancel: This features curbs the flicker generated by fluorescent light by using an electro-shutter.
Stereo Audio Recording: Stereo Audio enhances your viewing experience by letting your record and playback your favorite moments with full, rich, and deep sound.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph showing the brightness of an image. The graph display indicates a bright image when skewed to the right side, and a dark image when skewed to the left side.
Function Guide: When you operate the camcorder, the description of functions is displayed on the LCD screen.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from English or Spanish text for the camcorder's menu.
Index Playback Screen: The Index Screen will display up to nine thumbnails of video clips or still images (combined).
Beep Confirmation: The Webbie HD beeps to confirm functions. This feature can be turned off.
Video Recording: The movies shot with this camera will be recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Main Profiles, at approximately 30 frames per second. MP4 is a popular multimedia format that compresses the size of your audio and video, making your media files small enough to easily transfer to your compatible PC or Mac. MP4 is also highly compatible with the Web, so you can effortlessly upload your media to popular photo or video-sharing websites like Photobucket or YouTube (compatible PC with internet capability required).
Video Resolutions: With the Webbie HD camcorder you can enjoy the flexibility of choosing to record and playback in either High Definition (1440x1080/30p or 1280x720/30p) format with a 16:9 aspect ratio or Standard Definition (640x480/30p) format with a 4:3 aspect ratio. You can choose from the following movie image sizes.
|Movie Image Size||Usage Guidelines|
|1080 30P (1440 x 1080/30p)||Shoot HD (high definition) quality movies in sizes suited for display on your computer or high definition TV|
|720 30P (1280 x 720/30p)||Shoot HD (high definition) quality movies in sizes suited for display on your computer|
|VGA 30P (640 x 480/30p)||Shoot SD (standard definition) quality movies in sizes suited for uploading on websites|
Approximate Recording Time of Movies: (Units = hour: minute: second)
|Size/Capacity||Internal Memory||Memory Stick Pro Duo|
|12 MB||512 MB||1 GB||2 GB||4GB||8 GB||16 GB|
|1080 30P (16:9)||0:00:15||0:10:00||0:20:00||0:40:00||1:20:00||2:50:00||5:40:00|
|720 30P (16:9)||0:00:20||0:15:00||0:30:00||1:00:00||2:05:00||4:10:00||8:30:00|
|VGA 30P (4:3)||0:00:45||0:30:00||1:00:00||2:00:00||4:00:00||8:10:00||16:30:00|
Note: For recording movies, it is recommended that you use a Memory Stick Pro Duo media of 512MB or larger.
Divide Movies: The Divide Movies feature allows you to divide movies on the internal memory of the camcorder or on an inserted Memory Stick Pro Duo card.
Still Image Recording: The integrated 5 megapixel CMOS sensor enables the Webbie HD camcorder to take sharp JPEG still images up to 5 megapixels in addition to HD MP4 video. You can choose from the following still image sizes.
|5M (2592 x 1944)||For prints up to 8x10"|
|3:2 (2592 x 1728)||Shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio|
|3M (2048 x 1536)||For prints up to 4x6" or 5x7"|
|2M (1632 x 1244)||For prints up to 4x6"|
|VGA (640 x 480)||Shoots a small image size for e-mail attachment|
Approximate Number of Still Images: Units = Images
|Size/Quality/Capacity||Internal Memory||Memory Stick Pro Duo|
|12 MB||128 MB||256 MB||512 MB||1 GB||2 GB||4 GB||8 GB||16 GB|
Note: Continuous shooting is possible for approximately 25 minutes.
Auto Review: This feature displays the recorded image on the camcorder's LCD screen for approximately two seconds immediately after shooting a still image.
Playback Zoom: When viewing a single still image on the camcorder's LCD screen you can zoom the image up to 5x. Once the image is zoomed, you can pan left to right and up or down through the image.
Rotate Image: Recorded images can be rotated 360-degrees (clockwise or counter-clockwise) in 90-degree increments on the camera's LCD screen.
Slide Show: The Slide Show function lets you play back images one after the other. The interval between the pictures can be adjusted, allowing you to choose 3, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds. You can select Folder play (all images in the selected folder) or All play (all images on the Memory Stick Duo). When repeat is selected, the images are replayed in a continuous loop.
Deleting/Protecting Images: You can delete a selected image, or you can delete all the unprotected images at once. In order to avoid accidentally deleting an image, it can be protected.
Print Mark: You can place a print mark on still images recorded with this camera. This mark is convenient when you have images printed at a shop that conforms to the DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) standard.
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The Webbie HD camcorder conforms to "Exif Print," a worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as: exposure mode, white balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is captured. Printers compatible with "Exif Print" are able to use this information to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even better than the originals.
Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery: The supplied rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (NP-BK1) allows you to record up to 100 minutes and is not subjected to a life shortening "Memory Effect," so you are free to charge the battery at any time. The Webbie HD camcorder's internal battery can be recharged using the supplied AC adaptor. A full charge takes approximately 300 minutes.
Multi-AV Terminal: A Multi-AV terminal and supplied component AV cable or composite AV cable allows you to connect the Webbie HD camcorder to your television for easy playback. The camcorders AV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
USB 2.0 Port: USB 2.0 interface provides an easy way to connect this camcorder to a compatible PC or Mac for fast transfer of video and still images for editing (USB cable included).
Tripod Compatible: The Webbie HD camcorder can also be mounted a tripods (sold separately) for added stability when capturing video or still images. Use a tripod with a screw length of less than 5.5mm (7/32 inches). You will unable to firmly secure the camera to tripods having screws longer than 5.5mm (7/32 inches), and may damage the camcorder.
DC In: The camcorder features a proprietary DC input for connection of an optional AC power adapter (AC-LS5K, sold separately).
Picture Motion Browser (PMB) Software (V.4.1.0): With Sharemark and pre-installed Picture Motion Browser (PMB) Portable software, the Webbie HD camcorder makes it easy to pre-select videos and images in the camcorder and conveniently upload them from the camcorder to a compatible PC and popular Internet sharing sites such as YouTube, Shutterfly, Dailymotion, and Picasa; without the need for any additional software. The Webbie HD camcorder also comes with a Picture Motion Browser Software CD-ROM which allows you to install this software on your compatible PC. The PMB CD-ROM software provides the following functions.
- Importing: You can import videos and still images by connecting the camera and your computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Viewing: You can browse videos and still images imported to a computer, in the Folder format that sorts and displays them by registered folders, or in the Calendar format for that they are sorted by the time and date they were taken.
- Editing Video: You can cut out only required video parts to save.
- Editing Still Images: You can correct brightness and contrast, correct saturation, adjust sharpness, adjust tone curve, reduce red-eye, trim images, and insert date
- Email Attachments: Attaching videos and still images to e-mail to send them via e-mail.
- Disc Creation: You can save the imported images to CD and DVD. CD burner drive or DVD burner drive required. The following 12 cm discs can be used: CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-R/RW, and DVD-R DL.
- Printing: Printing of still images. In the main window, select the still image you want to print.
Note: Uploading directly to the web requires PMB Portable software and USB cable (included), compatible PC with internet connectivity (not included). Mac OS and 64 bit environments not supported with PMB Portable software.
System Requirements: To use the Picture Motion Browser software, your computer will need to meet the following system requirements.
- OS: Microsoft Windows XP SP3/Windows Vista SP1 (64-bit
editions and Starter editions are not supported)
- Note: Operation is not assured if the above OS has been upgraded or in a multi-boot environment.
- CPU: An Intel Pentium III 800MHz or faster is necessary. (When playing/editing high definition movies: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz or faster/Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz or faster/Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz or fast/Intel Core 2 Duo 1.20GHz or faster is necessary)
- Memory: 512MB or more (When playing/editing high definition movies: 1GB or more)
- Video Memory: 32MB or more (64MB or more is recommended)
- Hard Disk: Disk volume required for installation: Approximately 500MB
- Display: DirectX 7 or later-compatible video card, Minimum 1,024 X 768 dots, High Color (16 bit color)
- Others: USB port (this must be provided as standard, Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0 compatible)