About the Sony Alpha NEX-5T 3X Zoom Lens Kit
The keys to success
You're in charge of the social media for your Internet technology startup. Your boss has been bugging you for months about one thing: his blog byline picture features him before his summer health kick — twenty pounds heavier. He trusts your eye, so you grab your new Sony Alpha NEX-5T and take some portraits with nicely defocused backgrounds. Score! He loves the third one you took with the continuous shooting mode (a great trick for those whose pose isn't practiced). Time to engage one of the PlayMemories photo retouching apps you downloaded straight to the camera to add a little punch to the shot. Then you use the built-in NFC (near-field communication) by tapping the camera to your Android™ tablet to transfer it to your tablet for easy distribution to your graphic designer and your boss's iPad®, and another job is off your punch list. Total time expended? Five minutes, max. Can a promotion and a little vacation time be far off?
Just a quick tap initiates the Sony Alpha NEX-5T's communication via NFC (smartphone not included)
Better autofocus, better connectivity
This is just one of the many ways that the NEX-5T might be able to make your life a little easier. With all of the features that have made Sony's entire line of NEX hybrid cameras so popular, it's sure to be a winner from the start. But consider the refinements that have been added to the '5T: a class-leading hybrid autofocus system that combines the best aspects of phase-detection and contrast-detection for improved tracking of your subjects in space. A 180-degree, flippable LCD touchscreen that makes self-portraits a piece of cake (just touch the touchscreen). And, best of all, Wi-Fi and NFC capability, for enhanced sharing and camera control from devices like your smartphone or tablet.
A lens for all opportunities
A low-profile power-zoom lens will help you get everything from your entire holiday-decorated living room from its entrance, to a striking portrait of your youngest greeting her new kitten. This 3X lens features a wider angle (24mm equivalent) than many kit lenses, and with the NEX-5T's light sensitivity and built-in panorama modes, it's easy to see this camera being a great choice for a real estate professionals.
Apps on your camera touchscreen
This enhanced connectivity adds another bonus. Like your smartphone, your NEX-5T can download apps that can make your camera even more useful. Imagine doing retouching on your touchscreen, or using your tablet as a remote viewer/controller for your camera. Features like this can make you a director and your movie's star simultaneously. Don't let one member of the family (yourself) be invisible anymore.
Professional touches, borrowed from the top of the NEX line complete the package. Sensibly placed function buttons and control dials complement the versatile touchscreen so you'll always be ready for the next shot in seconds. They're so intuitive, you'll be adjusting for the shot in front of you rather than looking at menus.
- 16.1-megapixel effective recording
- simply touch camera to compatible devices to engage one-touch communication via NFC (near-field communication)
- Wi-Fi® sharing allows you to transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets in addition to viewing them on compatible large screen TVs and PCs
- PlayMemories Mobile camera apps, downloadable via Wi-Fi from Sony, let users install new camera functions as desired
- includes 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 24-75mm)
- Exmor APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor (23.5 X 15.6 mm) for rich tonal gradation and true-to-life color
- 180-degree tilting 3" LCD touchscreen makes self-portraits and unusual angles easy to monitor
- one-touch touchscreen shutter control makes firing camera less awkward
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080p @ 60 frames per second)
- BIONZ® image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos
- Photo Creativity touchscreen interface provides direct input on real-time effects
- Anti-Dust Technology keeps image sensor clean for spotless photos
- 6-image layering: can take six pictures in under a second, then combine the best attributes of each into one photo to reduce blur and ensure proper exposure
- Fast Hybrid 99-point, 25-area autofocus system combines phase-detection and contrast-detection for rapid, precise autofocusing
- Photo Creativity touch interface enables easy adjustment of parameters like background defocus, vividness, and most creative picture effects
- Picture effects include Retro Photo, HDR painting, and Toy Camera modes
- supplied detachable, aimable flash gives you greater control over flash angle and intensity
- Auto Object Framing uses face detection, tracking focus, and the rule of thirds to adjust composition, focus, exposure, and white balance for great-looking shots
- Smile Shutter technology snaps a picture when it detects a smile
- Horizontal/Vertical Sweep Panorama mode stiches images to create vistas up to 23-megapixels in size
- on-screen tips and help
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Sony E-mount lenses
- compatible with Sony Alpha SLR lenses when used with optional LA-EA2 lens adapter
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 3 frames per second (up to 10 frames per second in Speed Priority mode)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, sweep panorama, and fully automatic exposure modes
- exposure bracketing: up to 3 frames
- 9 preset scene modes for accurately exposed images in many different shooting environments
- flash sync at 1/160 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine and Standard), RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- AVCHD movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 frames per second with stereo sound; MP4 movie files up to 1440 x 1080 resolution at 30 frames per second with mono sound
- accepts optional SD, SDHC and SDXC cards, MultiMediaCard, and Memory Stick PRO Duo, PRO-HG Duo, and PRO-HX Duo memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface (cable included)
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-3/4"W x 2-9/16"H x 2-1/2"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery): 11.8 oz.
- detachable flash and flash case
- rechargeable NP-FW50 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- micro USB cable
- body cap
- software CD-ROM
- MFR # NEX5TL/B
What's in the box:
- Digital camera body (black)
- E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens (installed)
- 40.5mm Front lens cap (installed)
- HVL-F7S Flash unit in a plastic case
- NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1080mAh 7.7Wh)
- AC-UB10D AC adapter (5V 0.5A)
- 2' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end
- Neck strap
- Application Software CD-ROM
- Preparing the Camera booklet (English)
- Preparing the Camera booklet (French)
- PlayMemories Camera Apps sheet
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Product Registration sheet
- Lenses & Accessories brochure
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-touch (NFC) Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Alpha NEX-5T 3X Zoom Lens Kit
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-75mm|
|Built-in Flash||Unit included|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Sensor Size||23.5 x 15.6mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4912 x 3264|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||9.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Package Contents: The Sony NEX-5TL kit contains the α (alpha series) NEX-5T digital camera, the HVL-F7S flash unit, and the SELP1650 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS E-mount zoom lens. The package also includes a rechargeable battery, AC adapter/charger, and adjustable neck strap.
Lens Compatibility: The NEX-5T is compatible with Sony's E-mount series of smaller, lighter lenses. With the optional LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 lens adapter, Sony α (alpha) A-mount lenses can be used with this camera.
3" Tiltable LCD Touch Screen: The NEX-5T uses a 3" Xtra Fine LCD touch screen with 921,600 dots and approximately 100% coverage. The screen tilts down 50° and up 180° to frame high- and low-angle shots, and for self-portraits. The touch panel lets you operate the camera intuitively by touching the screen or sliding your finger across the screen. The Touch Shutter function lets you focus on and take a picture of your subject by simply touching the subject on the LCD screen.
Optional Electronic Viewfinder: The NEX-5T does not have a separate viewfinder, however, Sony offers an optional 0.5" OLED viewfinder (FDA-EV1S), that plugs into the camera's top-mounted Smart Accessory Terminal 2.
HVL-F7S Flash: The camera does not have a built-in flash, however, the HVL-F7S external flash unit is included in the camera kit. It plugs into the Smart Accessory Terminal 2 on the top of the camera. When the flash is mounted, the NEX-5T offers the following flash modes:
- Autoflash: In auto mode the flash automatically fires if it is dark or against light.
- Fill-Flash: In this mode the flash fires every time the shutter is released.
- Slow Sync: Slow sync shooting allows you to shoot a clear image of both the subject and the background by slowing the shutter speed.
- Rear Sync: In rear sync mode, the objects illuminated by other light sources are captured first, then the flash is fired right before the exposure is completed.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
APS-C-sized HD Image Sensor: The NEX-5T features an APS-C sized Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor (23.5 x 15.6mm). It has approximately 16.7-million total pixels and 16.1-million effective pixels.
Image Sizes: You can record still images in a 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio in three versatile formats: JPEG (with Fine and Standard compression), RAW (uncompressed images), and RAW + JPEG (two images--one uncompressed and one compressed--are recorded simultaneously). The image sizes include:
|3:2||Large: 16M||4912 x 3264|
|Medium: 8.4M||3568 x 2368|
|Small: 4M||2448 x 1624|
|RAW Large: 16M||4912 x 3264|
|16:9||Large: 14M||4912 x 2760|
|Medium: 7.1M||3568 x 2000|
|Small: 3.4M||2448 x 1376|
|RAW Large: 14M||4912 x 2760|
Movie Recording: The NEX-5T can record Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) movies in AVCHD (H.264). High and Standard Definition movies can also be recorded in MP4, which can easily be uploaded to social media websites like Facebook and You. Movie options include:
|File Format||Average Bit-Rate||Resolution|
|60i 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|60i 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|60p 28M (PS)||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60p)|
|24p 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|24p 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|1440 x 1080 12M||12 Mbps||1440 x 1080|
|VGA 3M||3 Mbps||640 x 480|
Dual Media Options: The NEX-5T accepts two types of media for capturing still images: Memory Stick XC-HG Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo (including Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo), plus SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards. The camera is also compatible with Eye-Fi cards, which can upload images from the memory card wirelessly to your computer via Wi-Fi. Images recorded on Memory Stick XC-HG Duo and SDXC cards cannot be imported to or played on computers or AV devices that are not compatible with exFAT.
Wireless Functions: The NEX-5T has built-in Wi-Fi capability, allowing you to connect the camera to your smartphone or tablet, using the PlayMemories Mobile app. Compatible devices must have Android 2.3 and later or iOS 4.3 and later. Some of the available wireless functions include:
- NFC: The camera can wirelessly connect to compatible Android smartphones (requires Android 4.0 and later) and tablets via NFC (Near Field Communication). By simply touching your camera to the smart device, you can easily transfer images and control the camera remotely.
- Smart Remote Control: You can remotely control the camera's shutter release wirelessly from your mobile device.
- Direct Upload: You can upload you photos and movies wirelessly from the camera to your smartphone or tablet. From there, they can be shared via email or your favorite social media site.
- PlayMemories Camera Apps: You can add new functions to your camera through various PlayMemories apps, including time-lapse photography and portrait lighting.
Optical SteadyShot: Optical SteadyShot is built into most of the E-mount lenses, including the supplied 16-50mm lens. When a SteadyShot-equipped lens is attached to the camera, you can turn on the SteadyShot feature to reduce the effects of camera shake. You cannot set Steady Shot when an A-mount lens is attached via the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 adapter.
Camera Operations: The camera has multiple controls for changing the settings and functions:
- Control Wheel: The control wheel, located on the back of the camera is a 4-way control (up, down, left, right) for selecting specific functions, as well as a rotary control for browsing through menu options and selecting still images. Pressing the center of the wheel confirms the selection or menu item.
- Control Dial: The top-mounted control dial lets you set the aperture value and shutter speed. The setting value assigned to the control dial changes for each shooting mode.
- Soft Keys: The three soft keys, located next to the touch screen, have different roles, depending upon the context. The assigned function of each soft key is displayed on the screen.
- Touch Panel: You can operate the camera intuitively by touching the screen or sliding your finger across the screen. To select an item, you touch the screen. To scroll up or down to hidden items, you slide your finger across the screen. During playback, you can advance to the next or previous photo by sliding your finger across the screen.
Fast Hybrid AF System: The NEX-5T's high-performance Fast Hybrid auto focus system combines two technologies. Phase Detection uses 99 auto focus points to give you a quick response, ideal for tracking moving subjects. Contrast Detection auto focus uses 25 AF points for precise focusing.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes:
- Single Shooting: Default setting for standard picture taking--shoots one still image.
- Continuous Shooting: When you press and hold the shutter button, the camera records the images continuously at approximately 3 frames per second (maximum 11 frames).
- Speed Priority Continuous: When you press and hold the shutter button, the camera records the images continuously at a maximum 10 frames per second.
You can set the camera to two different self-timers:
- 10 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 10 seconds later. This is convenient when the photographer wants to appear in a photo.
- 2 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 2 seconds later. This is convenient to reduce camera-shake.
- Self-timer Continuous: After you press the shutter button, the camera will continuously take 3 or 5 images after a 10-second pause.
- Bracket (Continuous): The camera can shoot three continuous images with the exposures shifted automatically. This setting shoots images continuously with exposure value shifted by plus or minus 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, or 3.0 EV.
- Remote Commander: The camera can be operated using the optional RMT-DSLR2 Wireless Remote Commander.
Exposure Modes: The camera offers the following exposure modes:
- Intelligent Auto: The camera analyses the subject, and allows you to shoot with appropriate settings. It recognizes and automatically switches to Night Scene, Tripod Night Scene, Night Portrait, Backlight, Backlight Portrait, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Spotlight, Low Brightness or Baby.
- Superior Auto: The camera automatically recognizes and evaluates the shooting conditions and sets the appropriate settings automatically. The recognized scenes are the same, but the range of shooting functions is wider than those of Intelligent Auto. This mode also performs Auto HDR and chooses the best image.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night Scene, and Hand-held Twilight, and Anti-Motion Blur.
- Sweep Panorama: You can create a panoramic image from
composed images. To shoot, pan the camera horizontally or vertically while
holding down the shutter button. You can select from the following panorama
- Standard: Vertical--3872 x 2160; Horizontal--8192 x 1856
- Wide: Vertical--5536 x 2160; Horizontal 12416 x 1856
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually.
- Shutter Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture. With a high shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it is frozen on the image. With a slow shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it were flowing.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed. This mode gives you greater control over the depth of field.
- Program Auto: This mode allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value), while keeping the custom settings for ISO sensitivity, Creative Style, D-Range optimizer, etc.
Picture Effects: The NEX-5T allows you to shoot photos with an effect filter to obtain various images. Available effects include: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization Color, Posterization B/W, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, and High Contrast Mono.
Image Layering: In some Scene Selection modes, the camera captures 6 images in a fraction of a second, then combines the data to create a single image. This helps to control blur (Anti-Motion Blur mode) and to get cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures (Hand-held Twilight mode).
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3.0 EV in 1/3-step increments (+/-2.0 EV for movies).
Face Detection: When activated, the camera detects the faces of your subjects and adjusts the focus, flash exposure, and white balance settings automatically. You can also select the priority face to be focused on, or register the faces on which to automatically focus upon.
Metering Mode: An advanced 1200-zone evaluative sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select from the following methods for measuring the brightness of a subject:
- Multi-pattern: Measures light on each area after dividing the total area into multiple areas and determines the proper exposure of the entire screen.
- Center-Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measures the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measures light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options:
- Auto WB: This mode adjusts the white balance automatically.
- Daylight: This mode adjusts for outdoors and sunlit subjects.
- Shade: This mode adjust for shady conditions on a clear day.
- Cloudy: This mode adjust for a cloudy sky.
- Incandescent: This mode adjusts for incandescent lighting.
- Fluorescent: This mode adjusts for fluorescent lighting with separate positions for Warm White, Cool White, Day White, and Daylight.
- Flash: This mode adjusts for flash conditions.
- Color Temperature: This mode adjusts the white balance depending upon the light source (color temperature). It achieves the effect of color compensation (CC) filters for photography.
- Custom: In a scene where the ambient light consists of multiple types of light sources, use of the custom white balance is recommended in order to accurately reproduce the whiteness.
Creative Style: This camera is pre-programmed with image styles optimal for various scenes and purposes. For each setting, you can adjust the contrast, saturation, and sharpness. You can choose from the following settings: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and Black & White.
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set manually or automatically at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, or 25600.
Noise Reduction: The camera offers Long Exposure and High ISO Noise Reduction (NR) to automatically reduce the grainy noise found in photos during long exposures or high ISO settings.
Optics: The Sony SELP1650 (E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS) retractable zoom lens is compatible with the Sony α NEX-series interchangeable lens cameras. The lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 24-75mm, and is recommended for a wide variety of photos, from snapshots to portraits.
Power Zoom: The SELP1650 is the first α- (alpha) series lens with an electrically-driven zoom mechanism. When the camera is powered on, the lens extends approximately 7/8", and becomes instantly ready for shooting. The lens retracts approximately 5 seconds after the camera is powered off. You can zoom in and out by sliding the zoom lever up or down. You can also control the power zoom by turning the zoom/focus ring when the camera is in Auto Focus mode.
Note: The zoom/focus ring adjusts the focus when the camera is in Manual Focus mode.
Optical SteadyShot (OSS): Equipped with Optical SteadyShot (OSS), the lens compensates for blur caused by camera shake for normal handheld photography. OSS also reduces the reliance on high ISO settings when shooting in dark environments, which greatly enhances the effectiveness of the Hand-held Twilight and Anti-Motion Blur shooting modes. Optical SteadyShot gives you a 4-stop shutter speed advantage when activated.
Focusing: The lens can be used with the NEX-series cameras in the auto-focus, Direct Manual Focus, or manual focus modes. You can switch between focusing modes in the camera menu.
Dimensions: The lens has the following dimensions: Diameter=2.568", Length=1.405" (1.828"w/caps)
|Lens||E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS|
|Angle of View||83-32°|
|Lens Construction||9 elements in 8 groups |
(1 ED and 4 aspheric elements)
7-blade Circular aperture
|Minimum Focus||9.84" (W) 12" (T)|
|Aperture||F3.5-5.6 maximum |
Playback Options: You can view images on the LCD monitor with 3 options: with recording data displayed, without recording data, or histogram display.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index or as a Slide Show . During Index View mode, you can view 6 or 12 images at once. You can adjust the Slide Show mode interval from 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
Image Enlargement: During single image playback you can enlarge an entire image or a select area of an image, depending upon the image size. Small images can be enlarged up to 6.8x, Medium images to 9.9x, and Large images up to 13.6x. Once you have enlarged the image, you can pan around the image to view the desired portion.
Rotating Images: Images can be rotated counter-clockwise 360-degrees on the camera's LCD monitor during single image playback.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo printing shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the supplied "PlayMemories Home" software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The NEX-5T is powered by the NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery (supplied). The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed. Stamina Battery power allows you to take up to 330 images, or record movies continuously for up to 100 minutes with a fully charged battery.
Charging: The supplied InfoLithium battery requires approximately 280 minutes for a full charge, using the supplied AC-UB10 AC adapter and USB cable.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway.
HDMI Output: The NEX-5T has a mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to your HDTV, so you can view and share photos in clarity and detail. You can set the HDMI Output resolution to Auto, 1080p, or 1080i. When connected to a Sony BRAVIA TV, you can control the image playback using the TV remote. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is not supplied.
Micro USB: The camera is equipped with a Micro USB terminal for charging the camera, and for connecting the camera to your computer. The USB port is Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) compliant for high speed data transfer.
Application Software CD-ROM: The following software is included with the NEX-5T:
Image Data Converter (Ver.4.2):
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 only.*
- Playback and edit images recorded in RAW format with various corrections, such as tone curve and sharpness.
- Adjust images with white balance, exposure, and Creative Style. Save as RAW format or save in the general file format.
- Display and compare the RAW images and JPEG images recorded by the camera.
- Rank images in 5 grades.
- Apply color labels.
*Note: For a Mac-compatible version of Image Data Converter, you can download it from the URL provided in the owner's manual.
PlayMemories Home (Ver.1.3):
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 only*
- Set images shot with the camera and display them on the computer.
- Organize images on the computer on a calendar by shooting date to view them.
- Retouch, print, and send images as e-mail attachments and change the shooting date.
- Print or save still images with the date.
- You can create a Blu-ray disc or DVD discs from AVCHD movies imported to a computer.
*Note: If you wish to play back images on a Mac, you can use applications that are pre-installed on your Mac.