About the Sony Alpha NEX-6 (no lens included)
The email arrives
The email arrives
Could it be true? The short 2-minute, continuous-shot video you and your buddies made on a boring rainy weekend with your new Sony NEX-6 — that you uploaded online directly from your camera, no less — has attracted the attention of the local arts council. You've been asked if you might consider submitting an expanded version for the city's film festival later in the summer. Are you ready for the challenge? With the Sony Alpha NEX-6, there's no doubt you'll have the tools to set your talent free.
Ready for two worlds
Of course, the NEX-6 is an exceptional and versatile still camera. And those stills will probably be helpful in your upcoming production. But it's good to know that the big Exmor® APS-C sensor, the low-compression high-def video capture, and the flexibility of 60p/60i/24p frame rates are standing by to help make your video project look the best it can. And wait: the NEX-6 is the first in its family to offer compatibility with Sony's Handycam® video line of accessories, by way of the new Multi-Interface Shoe. This freshly redesigned bracket doesn't just give an external flash unit a place to live. It also hosts tools for the video artist, things like microphones and lights. And don't forget, the NEX-6 is compatible with the growing line of tack-sharp Sony E-Series lenses, so you'll be able to fine-tune your shooting approach to your surroundings and subject matter.
Apps like a smartphone
Wi-Fi® adds another dimension to your camera's skillset. Like your smartphone, your NEX-6 can download apps that can make your camera even more useful. Imagine doing retouching on your touchscreen, or using your tablet as a remote viewer/controller for your camera. Features like this can make you a director and your movie's star simultaneously. Don't let one member of the family/friends/crew (yourself) be invisible anymore.
Sophisticated features for the aspiring professional
And you'll appreciate all the things that make the NEX-6 a top-level still camera as well. Dedicated exposure and control dials are placed within easy reach of your thumb and index finger, so you can concentrate on the scene in front of you instead of reading menus. Fast hybrid autofocus uses two strategies (contrast detection and phase detection) to predict and track moving subjects in space. Auto Portrait Framing and Auto HDR ensure that the pictures you capture are more likely to be keepers. And the ultra-high resolution organic LED (OLED) viewfinder, in all its 2,359k-dot glory, is such a thing of beauty that's it's been repeatedly acclaimed in enthusiast magazine and website reviews since its introduction back in 2011.
So feel free to yell "action" anytime you want. This camera lives for it, and it lives to put it on your screen or picture frame. Don't forget to bring it to the awards ceremony.
- 16.1-megapixel effective recording
- Wi-Fi® sharing allows you to transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets in addition to viewing them on compatible TVs and PCs
- PlayMemories camera apps, downloadable via Wi-Fi from Sony, let users install new camera functions as desired
- 2,359K-dot Organic LED (OLED), super high-resolution electronic viewfinder makes critical evaluation of your frame easy
- multi-interface shoe expands camera's compatibility with Sony Handycam® camcorder accessories like microphones and lights
- on-board flash (guide number: 6) adds options in low light
- Exmor APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm) for rich tonal gradation and true-to-life color
- 3" LCD screen adjusts 135 degrees vertically for those awkward shooting angles
- advanced control dial incorporates mode control and Quick Navi functions for fast and intuitive operation
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080p @ 60 frames per second)
- BIONZ® image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos
- 6 creative finishing styles, including Portrait, Sunset and B&W
- Anti-Dust Technology keeps image sensor clean for spotless photos
- 6-image layering: can take six pictures in under a second, then combine the best attributes of each into one photo to reduce blur and ensure proper exposure
- Fast Hybrid 99-point, 25-area autofocus system combines phase-detection and contrast-detection for rapid, precise autofocusing
- capture high-contrast scenes with auto-HDR mode and see all the detail hidden in your highlights and shadows
- picture effects include Retro Photo, HDR painting, and Toy Camera modes
- Auto Portrait Framing uses face detection and the rule of thirds to adjust composition, focus, exposure, and white balance for great-looking portraits
- Smile Shutter technology snaps a picture when it detects a smile
- Horizontal/Vertical Sweep Panorama mode stiches images to create vistas up to 23-megapixels in size
- captures high-resolution, low-compression HD movies in 1080/60p, 60i, and 24p
- on-screen tips and help
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Sony E-mount lenses
- compatible with Sony Alpha SLR lenses when used with optional LA-EA2 lens adapter
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 3 frames per second (up to 10 frames per second in Speed Priority mode)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, sweep panorama, and fully automatic exposure modes
- exposure bracketing: up to 3 frames
- 9 preset scene modes for accurately exposed images in many different shooting environments
- flash sync at 1/160 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine and Standard), RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- AVCHD movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 frames per second with stereo sound; MP4 movie files up to 1440 x 1080 resolution at 30 frames per second with mono sound
- accepts optional SD, SDHC and SDXC cards, MultiMediaCard, and Memory Stick PRO Duo, PRO-HG Duo, and PRO-HX Duo memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface (cable included)
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 5-3/16"W x 2-3/4"H x 1-7/8"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 10.1 oz.
- detachable flash and flash case
- rechargeable NP-FW50 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- micro USB cable
- body cap
- software CD-ROM
- MFR # NEX6/B
What's in the box:
- NEX-6 camera body with body cap installed
- NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2 V/ 1080 mAh/7.7 Wh)
- AC-UB10D AC adapter (5V/0.5A)
- Eyepiece cup
- Adjustable neck strap
- 39" USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on the other end)
- Application Software for Alpha Camera CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (Eng)
- Instruction Manual (Fre)
- Warranty Sheet
- Product Registration sheet
- Notes on using a lens with power zoom
Sony Alpha NEX-6 (no lens included) reviews
This camera is great and the pricing and delivery by Crutchfield.com was the best experience I've ever had.
Pros: Great Color, Dynamic Range and Good Low Noise on low lighting.
3 of 3 found this helpful
More details on the Sony Alpha NEX-6 (no lens included)
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||N/A|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Sensor Size||23.5 x 15.6 CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4912 x 3264|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||12.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Camera Body Only: The Sony NEX-6 box contains the α (alpha series) NEX-6 digital camera body only. No lenses are included.
Lens Compatibility: The NEX-6 is compatible with Sony's E-mount series of smaller, lighter lenses. The NEX-6 is compatible with the following lenses:
- SEL16F28 16mm F2.8 pancake lens
- SEL1018 10-18mm F4 wide angle zoom lens
- SELP1650 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 wide angle zoom lens
- SEL24F18Z 24mm F1.8 Carl Zeiss lens
- SEL30M35 30mm F3.5 macro lens
- SEL50F18 50mm F1.8 lens
- SEL18200LE 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 zoom lens
- SEL18200 18-200mm F3.5-6.4 zoom lens
- SEL1855 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 zoom lens
- SEL55210 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 zoom lens
Note: With the optional LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 lens adapter, Sony α (alpha) A-mount lenses can be used with this camera.
3" Tiltable LCD Screen: The NEX-6 uses a 3" LCD screen with 921,600 dots and approximately 100% coverage. The screen tilts down 45° and up 90° to frame high- and low-angle shots.
OLED Electronic Viewfinder: In addition to the LCD screen, the NEX-6 has a 0.5" Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder with 2,359,296 dots and 100% coverage. The viewfinder has a diopter adjustment to allow you to set the image to your eyesight, with or without glasses.
Built-in Flash: The camera has a built-in pop-up flash. The flash has a recycling time of approximately 4 seconds. The NEX-6 offers the following flash modes:
- Autoflash: In auto mode the flash automatically fires if it is dark or against light.
- Fill-Flash: In this mode the flash fires every time the shutter is released.
- Slow Sync: Slow sync shooting allows you to shoot a clear image of both the subject and the background by slowing the shutter speed.
- Rear Sync: In rear sync mode, the objects illuminated by other light sources are captured first, then the flash is fired right before the exposure is completed.
- Wireless: Allows you to attach a remote control-compatible external flash and shoot with a wireless flash placed away from the camera.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Multi-Interface Shoe: The NEX-6 has a newly-developed Multi-Interface Shoe that expands its compatibility with Handycam accessories, such as video lights or the new HVL-F60M flash, for improved photo and movie shooting. Standard flash units using the Auto-lock Accessory Shoe will require an ADP-MAA Shoe Adapter (sold separately).
APS-C-sized HD Image Sensor: The NEX-6 features an APS-C sized Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor (23.5 x 15.6mm). It has approximately 16.7-million total pixels and 16.1-million effective pixels.
Image Sizes: You can record still images in a 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio in three formats: JPEG (with Fine and Standard compression), RAW (uncompressed images), and RAW + JPEG (two images--one uncompressed and one compressed--are recorded simultaneously). The image sizes include:
|3:2||Large: 16M||4912 x 3264|
|Medium: 8.4M||3568 x 2368|
|Small: 4M||2448 x 1624|
|RAW Large: 16M||4912 x 3264|
|16:9||Large: 14M||4912 x 2760|
|Medium: 7.1M||3568 x 2000|
|Small: 3.4M||2448 x 1376|
|RAW Large: 14M||4912 x 2760|
Movie Recording: The NEX-6 can record Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) movies in AVCHD (H.264). High and Standard Definition movies can also be recorded in MP4, which can easily be uploaded to social media websites like Facebook and You. Movie options include:
|File Format||Average Bit-Rate||Resolution|
|60p 28M (PS)||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60p)|
|60i 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|60i 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|24p 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|24p 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|1440 x 1080 12M||12 Mbps||1440 x 1080|
|VGA 3M||3 Mbps||640 x 480|
Dual Media Options: The NEX-6 accepts two types of media for capturing still images: Memory Stick PRO Duo (including Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo) and SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards. The camera is also compatible with Eye-Fi cards, which can upload images from the memory card wirelessly to your computer via Wi-Fi. Images recorded on SDXC cards cannot be imported to or played on computers or AV devices that are not compatible with exFAT.
Wi-Fi: The NEX-6 has built-in Wi-Fi capability, allowing you to transfer photos directly to your smartphone or tablet, using the PlayMemories Mobile app. You can also view your photos on Wi-Fi-ready TVs or wirelessly saved to your PC. The camera supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n.
Optical SteadyShot: Optical SteadyShot is built into several E-mount lenses. When a SteadyShot-equipped lens is attached to the camera, you can turn on the SteadyShot feature to reduce the effects of camera shake. SteadyShot-equipped lenses include the SELP1650, SEL1855, SEL50F18, SEL55210, SEL18200LE, and the SEL18200. You cannot set Steady Shot when an A-mount lens is attached via adapter.
Camera Operations: The camera can be controlled using the following controls:
- Control Wheel: The control wheel, located on the back of the camera is a 4-way control (up, down, left, right) for selecting specific functions, as well as a rotary control for browsing through menu options and selecting still images. Pressing the center of the wheel confirms the selection or menu item.
- Control Dial: The top-mounted control dial lets you set the aperture value and shutter speed. The setting value assigned to the control dial changes for each shooting mode.
- Soft Keys: The three soft keys, located next to the touch screen, have different roles, depending upon the context. The assigned function of each soft key is displayed on the screen.
Fast Hybrid AF System: The NEX-6's high-performance Fast Hybrid auto focus system combines two technologies. Phase Detection uses 99 auto focus points to give you a quick response, ideal for tracking moving subjects. Contrast Detection auto focus uses 25 AF points for precise focusing.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes:
- Single Shooting: Default setting for standard picture taking--shoots one still image.
- Continuous Shooting: When you press and hold the shutter button, the camera records the images continuously.
- Speed Priority Continuous: When you press and hold the shutter button, the camera records the images continuously at a maximum 10 frames per second.
- Self-Timer: You can set the camera to two different self-timers: 10 second for self photos, 2 second to reduce camera shake.
- Bracket (Continuous): The camera can shoot three continuous images with the exposures shifted automatically. This setting shoots images continuously with exposure value shifted by plus or minus 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, or 3.0 EV.
- Remote Commander: The camera can be operated using the optional RMT-DSLR1 Wireless Remote Commander.
Exposure Modes: The camera offers the following exposure modes:
- Intelligent Auto: The camera analyses the subject, and allows you to shoot with appropriate settings. It recognizes and automatically switches to Night Scene, Tripod Night Scene, Night Portrait, Backlight, Backlight Portrait, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Spotlight, Low Brightness or Baby.
- Superior Auto: The camera automatically recognizes and evaluates the shooting conditions and sets the appropriate settings automatically. The recognized scenes are the same, but the range of shooting functions is wider than those of Intelligent Auto.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night Scene, and Hand-held Twilight, and Anti-Motion Blur.
- Sweep Panorama: You can create a panoramic image from
composed images. To shoot, pan the camera horizontally or vertically while
holding down the shutter button. You can select from the following panorama
- Standard: Vertical--3872 x 2160 (8.4M); Horizontal--8192 x 1856 (15M)
- Wide: Vertical--5536 x 2160 (15M); Horizontal 12416 x 1856 (23M)
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually.
- Shutter Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed.
- Program Auto: This mode allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value), while keeping the custom settings for ISO sensitivity, Creative Style, D-Range optimizer, etc.
Picture Effects: The NEX-6 allows you to shoot photos with an effect filter to obtain various images. Available effects include: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, and Miniature.
Image Layering: In some Scene Selection modes, the camera captures 6 images in a fraction of a second, then combines the data to create a single image. This helps to control blur (Anti-Motion Blur mode) and to get cleaner, sharper nighttime pictures (Hand-held Twilight mode).
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3.0 EV in 1/3-step increments (+/-2.0 EV for movies).
Face Detection: When activated, the camera detects the faces of your subjects and adjusts the focus, flash exposure, and white balance settings automatically. You can also select the priority face to be focused on, or register the faces on which to automatically focus upon.
Auto Portrait Framing: When taking a photo of a person's face, the Auto Portrait Framing feature analyzes the scene and saves another image of the face with a more impressive composition. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technology with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced, full resolution portraits. This feature can be turned off, if desired.
Metering Mode: An advanced 1200-zone evaluative sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select from the following methods for measuring the brightness of a subject:
- Multi-pattern: Measures light on each area after dividing the total area into multiple areas and determines the proper exposure of the entire screen.
- Center-Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measures the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measures light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options:
- Auto WB: This mode adjusts the white balance automatically.
- Daylight: This mode adjusts for outdoors and sunlit subjects.
- Shade: This mode adjust for shady conditions on a clear day.
- Cloudy: This mode adjust for a cloudy sky.
- Incandescent: This mode adjusts for incandescent lighting.
- Fluorescent: This mode adjusts for fluorescent lighting with separate positions for Warm White, Cool White, Day White, and Daylight.
- Flash: This mode adjusts for flash conditions.
- Color Temperature: This mode adjusts the white balance depending upon the light source (color temperature). It achieves the effect of color compensation (CC) filters for photography.
- Custom: In a scene where the ambient light consists of multiple types of light sources, use of the custom white balance is recommended in order to accurately reproduce the whiteness.
Creative Style: This camera is pre-programmed with image styles optimal for various scenes and purposes. For each setting, you can adjust the contrast, saturation, and sharpness. You can choose from the following settings: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and Black & White.
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set automatically (100-3200) or manually at ISO 100-25600.
Noise Reduction: The camera offers Long Exposure and High ISO Noise Reduction (NR) to automatically reduce the grainy noise found in photos during long exposures or high ISO settings.
Playback Options: You can view images on the LCD monitor with 3 options: with recording data displayed, without recording data, or histogram display.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index or as a Slide Show . During Index View mode, you can view 6 or 12 images at once. You can adjust the Slide Show mode interval from 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
Image Enlargement: During single image playback you can enlarge an entire image or a select area of an image, depending upon the image size. Small images can be enlarged up to 6.8x, Medium images to 9.9x, and Large images up to 13.6x. Once you have enlarged the image, you can pan around the image to view the desired portion.
Rotating Images: Images can be rotated counter-clockwise 360-degrees on the camera's LCD monitor during single image playback.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo printing shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the supplied "Picture Motion Browser" software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The NEX-6 is powered by the NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery (supplied). The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed. Stamina Battery power allows you to take up to 360 images with the LCD screen, or 270 shots with the viewfinder, with a fully-charged battery.
Charging: The supplied InfoLithium battery requires approximately 280 minutes for a full charge, using the supplied AC-UB10 AC adapter and USB cable. You can also charge the battery in the camera via USB while plugged into your computer.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway.
HDMI Output: The NEX-6 has a mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to your HDTV, so you can view and share photos in clarity and detail. You can set the HDMI Output resolution to Auto, 1080p, or 1080i. When connected to a Sony BRAVIA TV, you can control the image playback using the TV remote. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is not supplied.
Micro USB: The camera is equipped with a Micro USB terminal for charging the camera, and for connecting the camera to your computer. The USB port is Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) compliant for high speed data transfer.
Application Software CD-ROM: The following software is included with the NEX-6:
PlayMemories Home Ver.1.3:
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, and Windows 7 SP1 only*
- Set images shot with the camera and display them on the computer.
- Organize images on the computer on a calendar by shooting date to view them.
- Retouch, print, and send images as e-mail attachments and change the shooting date.
- Print or save still images with the date.
- You can create a Blu-ray disc or DVD discs from AVCHD movies imported to a computer.
*Note: The "PlayMemories Home" software is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP operating systems only. If you wish to play back images on a Mac, you can use applications that are pre-installed on your Mac.
Image Data Converter Ver.4.2:
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X v10.5-10.8
- You can play back and edit images recorded in RAW mode with various corrections, such as tone curve, and sharpness.
- Adjust images with white balance, exposure, creative style, etc.
- Save the images displayed and edited on a computer. You can save the image as RAW format, or save it in the general file format.
- Display and compare RAW/JPEG images recorded with the camera.
- Rate the images on a scale of five.
- Set color labels.
Compatible Operating Systems (for USB Connection):
- Windows: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1
- Macintosh: Mac OS X v10.3-10.8
1 question already asked