About the Sony NW-WM1AM2 Walkman®
Exceptional sound quality
Exceptional sound quality
The Sony NW-WM1AM2 Walkman delivers great sound thanks to premium construction and electronics. The player features an advanced digital-to-analog converter that decodes high-res files in their native resolution. The result is richly detailed, spacious, better-than-CD sound.
The ‘WM1AM2 has a sturdy aluminum frame that resists electronic noise. The processor and memory devices are housed in a milled oxygen-free copper block. This minimizes electrical interference. Crystal oscillators ensure precise sampling with minimal jitter. And oxygen-free copper cables deliver signals with low distortion and accurate channel separation.
Wi-Fi and Android give you lots of music options
The 'WM1AM2 lets you wirelessly access the internet through Wi-Fi, using its built-in Android™ operating system. Stream music from popular services such as Spotify®, Pandora®, TIDAL, and Apple Music® (subscriptions required). You can also wirelessly download high-res files to the player via Wi-Fi.
Listen wirelessly with Bluetooth
The NW-WM1AM2 features built-in Bluetooth transmission for sending music to your favorite Bluetooth speakers and headphones. This player offers LDAC high-res wireless music streaming to compatible products, like Sony's excellent WH-1000XM4 over-ear headphones.
Great for both high-res and compressed music files
The 'WM1AM2 is compatible with high-res DSD files up to 11.2MHz and PCM-based files up to 24-bit/384kHz. It can handle Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV, and other high-res formats.
For compressed formats, such as MP3s, Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) Ultimate can help them sound fuller. This new, advanced version of DSEE even works to enhance uncompressed CD-quality audio sources. With a high-performance set of headphones, you'll discover new details in the music you know and love.
Unbalanced and balanced headphone output
In addition to its stereo 3.5mm minijack output, the 'WM1AM2 features a 4.4mm balanced output. This lets you enjoy the best possible sound with compatible high-performance headphones.
Ample storage for high-res files
High-quality digital music files can be huge. That's why the 'WM1AM2 comes with 128GB of built-in storage. There's also a microSD card slot built in for easy expansion.
- plays MP3, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA, DSD, and LPCM audio files
- plays high-resolution digital music files (PCM files up to 24-bit/384kHz; DSD files up to 11.2MHz)
- supports playback of MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files
- built-in Android operating system lets you download your favorite streaming music apps (subscriptions may be required)
- dual-band Wi-Fi lets you easily download files or stream music directly
- Bluetooth with LDAC high-fidelity wireless music streaming
- microSD card slot accepts microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC cards (available separately)
- 128GB internal flash memory
- 5-inch color touchscreen display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- Effects and listening modes:
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) Ultimate upscales compressed digital formats like MP3 for more natural, expansive sound
- also works on uncompressed CD-quality audio sources
- Vinyl Processor simulates the warmth and character of analog vinyl records with your digital audio tracks
- 10-band equalizer
Other features & specs:
- S-Master® HX amplification offers accurate, detailed playback of high-resolution music files
- oxygen-free copper cables for low distortion
- drag-and-drop simplicity for easy transfer of files
- aluminum chassis with oxygen-free copper milled block for electronics
- minijack headphone output (3.5mm)
- balanced 4.4mm output
- frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz
- rechargeable battery provides up to 40 hours of music playback
- USB-C cable for fast charging and file transfer
- 3-3/16"W x 5-5/8"H x 13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NWWM1AM2
What's in the box:
Sony NW-WM1AM2 Walkman® owner's manual
- Digital music player
- 2 Headphone port plugs (3.5mm/4.4mm)
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Reference Guide
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty (US and Canada)
- Hearing Protection guide
Sony NW-WM1AM2 Walkman® reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony NW-WM1AM2 Walkman®
Overview: The Sony NW-WM1AM2 is a Walkman digital music player, capable of playing high-resolution audio files up to 32-bit / 384kHz. The NW-WM1AM2 has dual-band Wi-Fi for direct downloads, and Bluetooth Audio Streaming. The device is equipped with two headphone outputs -- a 3.5mm mini jack for standard headphones, and a 4.4mm balanced output for high-end audiophile grade headphones. The unit features a large 5" high-definition LCD screen, and an internal 128 GB flash memory. You can add even more memory by inserting up a microSD card.
Supported Audio Formats: The NW-WM1AM2 Hi-Res Walkman can support multiple digital audio formats:
|MP3 (.mp3)||32-320 kbps (incl. VBR) at 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|WMA (.wma)||32-192 kbps (incl. VBR) at 44.1 kHz|
|FLAC (.flac)||16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|WAV (.wav)||16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp)||16-320 kbps at 8 kHz - 48 kHz|
|HE-AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp) ||32-144 kbps at 8 kHz - 48 kHz|
|Apple Lossless (.mp4, .m4a)||16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc)||16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|DSD (.dsf, .dff)||1 bit at 2.8224, 5.6448, and 11.2896 MHz|
|APE (.ape)||8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High)|
Construction: The NW-WM1AM2 is precision-engineered and constructed with high-quality materials and components for superior sound quality. It has a rigid aluminum alloy frame which shields the internal circuitry from electrical noise. The components are mounted to an oxygen-free copper (OFC) milled block for lower resistance and improved electrical grounding. Internally, the NW-WM1AM2 uses newly developed FT CAP3 high polymer capacitors to support the power to the balanced output's amplifier, helping the unit to deliver powerful bass and wide expansive instrumentals and vocals. To minimize signal loss, the circuit board uses audio-grade, lead-free reflow solder with a small amount of gold for optimal signal transfer.
Display: The digital audio player has a large 5" high-definition TFT color display (1280 x 720 pixels) with touch screen controls and a white LED backlight.
Android Operating System: The user interface of the NW-WM1AM2 is supported by Android 11.0. You can set up a Google Account, or use an existing account, to use services provided by Google. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can purchase music content, including hi-res audio, from other online music services. The Home Screen has a "dock" for displaying shortcuts to up to 5 apps. The unit features the following pre-installed apps:
- Music Player: The Music Player app lets you play music content stored on the player, either transferred from your computer or purchased from online music services. It can also assist you in transferring music from your computer to the player.
- Sound Adjustment: This app lets you adjust the sound coming from the headphone outputs. This app is particularly useful when playing music from apps other than Music Player.
- Sony Headphones Connect: The app can be used to register and set up your headphones.
- Google Play Store: You can use this app to purchase and/or download third party apps from the Google Play Store:
- Chrome: This app launches the Google Chrome internet browser to let you view websites.
Memory: The NW-WM1AM2 has a 128 GB built-in internal memory for storing your high-resolution music files. If more storage is needed, there is a slot for an optional microSD memory card. Using a higher capacity memory card may work, but isn't guaranteed. Based on an average of 4 minutes per song, the built-in memory can hold the following number of songs:
|NW-WM1AM2 (128 GB)|
MP3 (128 kbps)
|AAC (256 kbps)|| |
|FLAC (44.1 kHz/16-bit)|| |
|FLAC (96 kHz/24-bit)||780 songs|
|FLAC (192kHz/24-bit)||390 songs|
|DSD (2.8224 MHz/1-bit)||640 songs|
Note: The actual usable memory is approximately 103 GB. A portion of the memory is used for data management functions.
Bluetooth: With built-in Bluetooth 5.0, you can stream your music files wirelessly to compatible devices up to 30 feet away. The NW-WM1AM2 is equipped with LDAC, which uses the conventional Bluetooth connection, but transfers data at up to 999 kbps. That's three times the transfer rate of other audio profiles, which results in higher fidelity. In addition, the unit supports SBC, AAC, aptX and aptX HD codecs.
Wi-Fi: The NW-WM1AM2 can connect to your home Wi-Fi network (802.11a/b/g/n/ac). It supports both 2.5GHz and 5GHz bands, and has WEP/WMA/WPA2 encryption. While connected to Wi-Fi, you can listen to your favorite streaming and music apps, or connect to a PC to download tracks and playlists from your digital music collection.
S-Master HX Headphone Amplifier: The NW-WM1AM2's S-Master HX digital headphone amp cuts distortion and noise across a wide range of frequencies for rich, full-bodied sound. It features an unbalanced 3.5mm and a 4.4mm stereo balanced (Pentaconn) headphone jack to connect your headphones. The 4.4mm balanced headphone jack reduces noise picked up from the wire to the amplifier, resulting in superior sound & clarity. Many high-end headphones have the 4.4mm balanced headphone plug, including the Sony Signature Series MDR-Z1R.
Sound Quality Settings: You can adjust the sound quality with the following settings:
- 10-band Equalizer/EQ Presets: You can adjust the sound at 10 individual EQ bands at 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 16kHz. The adjustment can be made from -10 to +10dB, and saved as Custom 1 or Custom 2 presets. Other EQ presets include: Bright, Excited, Mellow, Relaxed, Vocal, and Off.
- DSEE Ultimate: DSEE Ultimate uses an algorithm to analyze the music, and automatically replace the "lost" information. DSEE Ultimate (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) gives your highly-compressed music files new life so they sound almost as good as true Hi-Res Audio quality. DSEE Ultimate can be turned on or off, as desired.
- DC Phase Linearizer: This function makes low frequency phase characteristics more similar to a traditional analog amplifier. You can select Type A (low, standard, high) or Type B (low, standard, high).
- Dynamic Normalizer: The Dynamic Normalizer can moderate the change in volume between tracks to minimize the difference in volume level. It can be turned on/off , as desired.
- Vinyl Processor: The Vinyl Processor can add the character of vinyl recordings to your digital recordings with subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resonance, and surface noise.
- DSD Remastering: Converts a PCM signal to a DSD signal to reproduce sound quality close to analog. This setting is most effective when you listen with headphones with a balanced connection.
- Direct Source: This setting lets you turn off the above sound adjustments and activate the Direct Source function. The current file's original sound quality is heard without any audio processing. The "Direct" toggle switch icon can be found on any of the above Sound Quality Setting pages.
Rechargeable Battery: The NW-WM1AM2 has a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery for exceptional stamina. After a 4.5-hour full recharging time (via USB power), the unit's estimated battery life is as follows:
|Music Format||Approximate Battery Life|
|Balanced Jack||Unbalanced Jack|
|MP3 128 kbps||40 hours||40 hours|
|AAC 256 kbps||40 hours||40 hours|
|WAV 44.1kHz/16-bit||40 hours||40 hours|
|FLAC 44.1kHz/16-bit||40 hours||40 hours|
|FLAC 96kHz/24-bit||40 hours||40 hours|
|FLAC 192kHz/24-bit||35 hours||35 hours|
|DSD 2.8224 MHz/1-bit||15 hours||25 hours|
|DSD 5.6448 MHz/1-bit||13 hours||18 hours|
|DSD 11.2896 MHz/1-bit||9 hours||15 hours|
|Bluetooth MP3 128 kbps (SBC)||20 hours|
|Bluetooth FLAC 96kHz/24-bit (LDAC)||18 hours|
USB-C Port / System Requirements: The bottom-mounted USB-C port lets you connect the player to your computer for charging the battery, and transferring music content (using the included USB Type A to USB-C cable). The USB-C port is compatible with USB 3.2 Gen1 for fast music file transfer. Downloadable software is available for use with the NW-WM1AM2: Music Center for PC (ver. 2.4 or later) or Android File Transfer for Mac.
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 40 kHz (3.5mm unbalanced or 4.4mm balanced jack)
- Maximum Power Output (16 ohms):
- 3.5mm unbalanced: 60mW + 60mW (High gain setting)
- 4.4mm balanced: 250mW + 250mW (High gain setting)
- Dimensions: Width 3.185", Height 5.667", Depth 0.823"
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
5 questions already asked
I am very satisfied so far-the sound is amazing. I can hear sounds that I didn't know existed on familiar songs. The player will bring out the best in high quality headphones.
Russ from Prescott, AZ