About the Sony NW-A45 Walkman®
High-res audio entertainment
High-res audio entertainment
With the Sony NW-A45 Walkman you've got choices. Enjoy high-res music files, such as those you can download from sites like HDtracks. There's also a built-in FM radio, so you can listen to your favorite station or catch the big game. Use the ‘A45's built-in Bluetooth to stream to a set of wireless headphones. You can even use the ‘A45 as an external DAC (digital audio converter) for your computer to make its music sound even better.
The NW-A45's compact size makes it easy to take anywhere (headphones not included).
Support for high-resolution audio files
The NW-A45 is compatible with high-res PCM-based files (up to 24-bit/192kHz), DSD (Direct Stream Digital) files, Apple Lossless, and other formats. For low-resolution files, such as MP3s, The player is also MQA-compatible.
Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine can help them sound fuller. The built-in rechargeable battery can deliver up to 45 hours of operation, so you can enjoy music all day and then some.
High-res Bluetooth streaming
This player also has built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming. On top of that, it features Sony's LDAC technology, which allows the wireless signal to retain more musical detail with compatible Sony speakers and headphones. We recommend pairing this player with Sony's best Bluetooth headphones — the WH-1000XM3 wireless noise-cancelers — for a super-sounding portable listening rig.
Storage for high-res files
The 'A45 features 16GB of built-in storage. If you need more memory, the player's microSD card slot can accommodate up to a 128GB card. That gives you up to 144GB of storage, plenty for high-resolution files as well as CD-quality audio files. And of course, you can carry extra cards with you for an even bigger music library.
- plays MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, AAC, APE, WAV, and WMA audio files (up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files (.dff and .dsf formats up to 11.2MHz resolution)
- DSD files are converted to PCM for playback
- rendering for MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files
- microSD card slot accepts microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC cards (available separately)
- 16GB internal flash memory, with up to 128GB additional storage (up to 144GB total memory)
- 3-1/16" color touchscreen display (800 x 480 pixels)
- built-in FM tuner
- Bluetooth-compatible with LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming
- NFC touch pairing with compatible devices
- DSEE HX and ClearAudio+ sound modes for restoring compressed music
- S-Master® HX amplification offers accurate, detailed playback of high-resolution music files
- stereo minijack headphone output (3.5mm)
- high-speed USB 2.0 port
- rechargeable battery provides up to 45 hours of playback
- USB 2.0-compliant cable included for file transfer and battery charging
- 2-1/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 7/16"D
- weight: 3.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NWA45/L
What's in the box:
- Portable digital audio player
- 42" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and WM-PORT plug on other end)
- Instruction Manual
- Startup Guide
- Limited Warranty (US & Canada)
- Headphone info
- CEA Listen for a Lifetime
Sony NW-A45 Walkman® reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony NW-A45 Walkman®
Overview: The Sony NW-A45 is a Hi-Res Walkman digital music player, capable of playing high-resolution audio files. Hi-Res audio (24-bit, 96kHz and up) transmits 3.2x more data than CD audio (16-bit, 44.1kHz), allowing you to hear more detail and nuances in your music. The NW-A45 also has Bluetooth Audio Streaming with NFC technology for easy connection and wireless listening. The unit features a 3.1" LCD screen, and an internal 16 GB flash memory. You can add even more memory by inserting a microSD card.
Supported Audio Formats: The NW-A45 Hi-Res Walkman can support multiple digital audio formats:
|MP3||32-320 kbps (incl. VBR) at 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|WMA||32-192 kbps (incl. VBR) at 44.1 kHz|
|FLAC||16, 24-bit at 8 and 192 kHz|
|WAV||16, 24, 32-bit at 8 and 192 kHz|
|AAC||6-320 kbps at 8 and 48 kHz|
|HE-AAC||32-144 kbps at 8 and 48 kHz|
|Apple Lossless||16, 24-bit at 8 and 192 kHz|
|AIFF||16, 24, 32-bit at 8 and 192 kHz|
|DSD||1 bit at 2.8224, 5.6448, and 11.2896 MHz|
|APE||8, 16, 24-bit at 8 and 192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High)|
Design: The NW-A45 features solid build quality with a 3.1" TFT WVGA color display (800 x 480 pixels) with white LED backlighting. It has a capacitive touch screen for on-screen control. The circuits and components are attached to the circuit board with a Sony-developed high-quality, lead-free solder for a purer signal path. The S-Master HX digital amplifier is optimized for high-resolution audio playback, delivering smooth, natural sound over a wide 20Hz-40kHz frequency range.
DSEE HX: Sony has included their DSEE HX "up-scaling" technology in the NW-A45. DSEE HX uses an algorithm to analyze the music, and automatically replace the "lost" information. DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) gives your highly-compressed music files new life so they sound almost as good as true Hi-Res Audio quality.
Memory: The NW-A45 has a 16 GB internal memory, which has the capacity for the following number of recordable songs (approximately 4 minutes in length):
- MP3 (128 kbps): 3,300 songs
- AAC (256 kbps): 1,600 songs
- 44.1 kHz/16-bit: 300 songs
- 96 kHz/24-bit: 90 songs
- 192 kHz/24-bit: 40 songs
- DSD (2.8224 MHz/1-bit): 70 songs
Note: Actual user memory is approximately 12.26 GB, as a portion of the memory is used for data management. The unit's memory card slot will also accept microSD cards for even more memory capacity.
FM Tuner: The NW-A45 has a built-in FM tuner for listening to radio broadcasts. The frequency range of the FM tuner is 87.5 to 108.0 MHz. The FM tuner can be turned on when a pair of headphones are connected, as the headphone cable serves as an antenna. Up to 30 FM stations can be set as presets, manually or automatically.
Bluetooth/NFC: With built-in Bluetooth 4.2, you can stream your music files wirelessly from compatible devices up to 30 feet away. Devices that have the NFC (Near-Field Communication) function, can be automatically turned on, and paired with the Walkman, by simply touching the back of the Walkman to the device on the NFC logo. The NW-A45 is equipped with LDAC, which uses the conventional Bluetooth connection, but transfers data at up to 999 kbps. That's three times the transfer rate of other audio profiles, which results in higher fidelity. In addition, the unit supports aptX and aptX HD.
Sound Quality Settings: You can adjust the sound quality with the following selectable functions: 6-band Equalizer (with presets Rock, Pop, Jazz, Classical, EDM, R&B, HipHop, Relax, and Custom 1&2), DSEE HX, DC Phase Linearizer, VPT (Studio, Club, Concert Hall, Matrix), Dynamic Normalizer, ClearAudio+, and Clear Phase.
Special Modes with Sony Headphones: The NW-A45, when used with certain Sony headphones offer extra listening modes. These functions should be turned off if using incompatible headphones to save battery power:
- Noise Canceling: Headphones with Noise Canceling include the IER-NW500N, IER-NW500NE, MDR-NW750N, and MDR-NW750NE. The Noise Canceling function reduces ambient noise, and allows you to listen to your music at a low volume.
- Ambient Sound Mode: The IER-NW500N and IER-NW500NE also have an Ambient Sound Mode, that allows you to hear ambient sound, even while wearing headphones. It uses the built-in microphones to pick up and amplify ambient sounds to help you stay aware or your surroundings.
Rechargeable Battery: The Walkman has a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery for exceptional stamina. After a 4-hour full recharging time (via USB connection), the unit's estimated battery life is as follows:
|Ambient Sound Mode Off / On||Noise Cancel Off / On|
|MP3 128 kbps||45 hrs / 30 hrs||45 hrs / 37 hrs|
|AAC 256 kbps||39 hrs / 27 hrs||39 hrs / 33 hrs|
|FLAC 96kHz/24-bit||39 hrs / 27 hrs||39 hrs / 32 hrs|
|FLAC 192kHz/24-bit||30 hrs / 23 hrs||30 hrs / 27 hrs|
|DSD 2.8224 MHz/1-bit||25 hrs / 20 hrs||25 hrs / 22 hrs|
|Radio||---||32 hrs / 27 hrs|
|Direct REC||8 hours MP3 (128kbps)|
|Bluetooth||MP3: 20 hours (SBC connection) |
FLAC: 13 hours (LDAC, Auto)
Connections/System Requirements: On the bottom of the unit is a 3.5mm stereo headphone output, plus a 22-pin WM-PORT for connecting the unit to a computer using the supplied USB cable. The NW-A45 is compatible with computers with the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and macOS v10.8-10.12. You can also use the WM-PORT to connect the unit to one of Sony's Headphone DAC/Amplifiers, such as the PHA-1A or PHA-3 (special cable supplied with the headphone amplifier).
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 40 kHz
- Audio Power Output: 35mW + 35mW max
- Dimensions: Width 2.2", Height 3.839", Depth 0.432"
- Weight: 3.5 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
15 questions already asked