About the Sony NW-WM1A Premium Walkman®
Outstanding sound quality to go
Outstanding sound quality to go
The player features balanced output for high-performance headphones (not included).
The Sony NW-WM1A Premium Walkman is a finely crafted portable audio player that delivers exceptional high-resolution sound. The aluminum alloy frame resists electrical noise. Inside, the oxygen-free copper cables ensure low signal distortion.
The ‘WM1A features an advanced digital-to-analog converter that decodes high-res files in their native resolution. You'll enjoy richly detailed, spacious, better-than-CD sound. (You can download high-res tunes from sites like HDtracks).
Great for both high- and low-resolution files
The 'WM1A is compatible with high-res DSD files up to 11.2MHz and PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz. It can handle Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV, and other high-res formats.
And for compressed formats, like MP3s, Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine can help them sound fuller. With a high-performance set of headphones, you'll discover new details in music you've heard many times before.
In addition to its stereo 3.5mm minijack output, the ‘WM1Z features a 4.4mm balanced output for the best possible sound with compatible high-performance headphones.
Bluetooth® compatible for wireless listening
For wireless listening, the 'WM1A features built-in Bluetooth. Stream music to your favorite Bluetooth speaker. The 'WM1A offers LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming to compatible products.
A personal high-resolution audio system
High-res audio on the road
Interested in using this high-res player in your car or truck? You'll want to check out Sony's impressive RSX-GS9 high-res digital media receiver, part of their High Resolution Audio System — a series of incredibly advanced speakers, amps, and subs optimized for high-res performance.
- plays MP3, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA, DSD, and LPCM audio files
- plays high-resolution digital music files (PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD files up to 5.6MHz)
- microSD card slot accepts microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC cards (available separately)
- 128GB internal flash memory
- 4" color touchscreen display (854 x 480 pixels)
- Bluetooth-compatible with LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming
- NFC touch pairing with compatible devices
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) restores high-frequency signals to compressed digital formats like MP3 for more natural, expansive sound
- S-Master® HX amplification offers accurate, detailed playback of high-resolution music files
- oxygen-free copper cables for low distortion
- minijack headphone output (3.5mm)
- balanced 4.4mm output
- high-speed USB 2.0 port
- rechargeable battery provides up to 33 hours of playback
- USB 2.0-compliant cable included for file transfer and battery charging
- leather wrist strap
- 2-7/8"W x 4-7/8"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 9.42 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NWWM1A
What's in the box:
- Portable digital music player
- 42" WM-port to USB cable
- Instruction Manual
- Setup Guide
- "Listening For a Lifetime" booklet
- Warranty Information
- "Signature Series" brochure
Sony NW-WM1A Premium Walkman® reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony NW-WM1A Premium Walkman®
Hi-Res Walkman (Signature Series): The Sony Signature Series NW-WM1A Hi-Res Walkman is built with an aluminum frame and tailored electrical components for high quality, dynamic sound from high resolution music files. The newly developed FT CAP (high polymer capacitor) works to regulate power flow, optimizing it for instant, clean power when needed. MEL type resistors are utilized to reduce noise and minimize distortion in the audio signal path. A low-resistance Oxygen-free Copper cable offers low distortion and superior channel separation.
Sony Audio Technologies: The Sony Signature Series NW-WM1A Hi-Res Walkman incorporates several Sony audio technologies for an uncompromised listening experience.
- S-Master HX Headphone Amplifier: The NW-WM1A's S-Master HX digital headphone amp cuts distortion and noise across a wide range of frequencies for rich, full-bodied sound. It features an unbalanced 3.5mm (1/8") and the new 4.4mm JEITA stereo balanced headphone jack to connect a set of headphones (sold separately). Thanks to the 4.4mm balanced headphone jack, noise picked up from the wire to the amplifier is reduced - resulting in superior sound & clarity.
- DC Phase Linearizer: Sony's DC Phase Linearizer works to effectively replicate a wide variety of sonic signatures. It applies digital-signal processing to match the phase characteristics of various types of analog amplifier to deliver a purer, more analog-like sound. Choose from six phase character setting.
- DSEE-HX Upscaling Technology: DSEE HX upscaling technology uses an algorithm to analyze your music and replace any lost information, so that the quality is almost high-resolution level. Choose from four modes (Female, Male, Strings, or Percussions) to bring out the best in your music.
Supported Audio Formats: The NW-WM1A Hi-Res Walkman supports the very latest 32bit/384kHz PCM and Native DSD (up to 11.2MHz) playback to help retain all the authentic detail of the original recording. It also supports playback of a variety of other high resolution and compressed audio files.
|Resolution Type||File Format||File Extension||Bit Depth or Bit Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|Hi-Res||FLAC||.flac||16, 24-bit||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz|
|Linear PCM||.wav||16, 24, 32-bit||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz|
|Apple Lossless||m4a, .mp4||16, 24-bit||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz|
|AIFF||aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc||16, 24, 32-bit||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz|
|DSD||dsf, .dff||1-bit||2.8224, 5.6448, 11.2896 MHz|
|Compressed||MP3||.mp3||32 kbps to 320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|WMA||.wma||32 kbps to 192 kbps||44.1 kHz|
|AAC||.mp4, .m4a, .3gp||16 kbps to 320 kbps||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|HE-AAC||.mp4, .m4a, 3gp||32 kbps to 144 kbps||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
- This unit recognizes audio sources exceeding CD quality (44.1 kHz/16-bit quantization) and DAT quality (48 kHz/16-bit quantization) as High-Resolution Audio.
- Files that are 4 GB or larger cannot be played back.
Built-in & Expandable Memory: The NW-WM1A has a 128 GB internal memory and offers expandable storage capacity through its microSD card slot and a microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC memory card (up to 128 GB - all sold separately).
16 GB Internal Memory
|File Type||Number of Songs|
|MP3 (128 kbps)||20,000 songs|
|AAC (256 kbps)||15,000 songs|
|FLAC (44.1 kHz/16-bit)||2,800 songs|
|FLAC (96 kHz/24-bit)||860 songs|
|FLAC (192 kHz/24-bit)||430 songs|
|DSD (2.8224 MHz/1-bit)||700 songs|
|DSD (5.6448 MHz/1-bit)||350 songs|
|DSD (11.2896 MHz/1-bit)||170 songs|
Note: The approximate times are based on the case in which you transfer or record only 4 minute songs
Transferring Content via Windows & Mac: The Sony NW-WM1A is compatible with Windows PC and Mac computers through free downloadable software. Download Media Go onto your Windows PC running 10, 8.1, 8, 8, 7, or Vista. Download Content Transfer onto Mac computer or laptop running MAC OS X 10.8 - 10.11.
- Media Go (Windows): Media Go is software for Windows PC (use the latest version of Media Go). You can use Media Go to perform the following operations - Importing content (such as music) from CDs or online services to a computer, organizing and managing the content (such as creating playlists), & transferring content on a computer (including iTunes) to the Walkman.
- Content Transfer (Mac): Content Transfer is software for Mac computers (use the latest version of Content Transfer). You can transfer content that you manage with iTunes or Finder. You can simply drag-and-drop the tracks or albums to transfer them to the Walkman.
4" Touchscreen: The Sony NW-WM1A Walkman features a high-quality 4" (854 x 480) capacitive touchscreen with an intuitive interface for browsing, selection, and playback of your music library. The 3" touchscreen will also display song/artist/album information, along with album art (when applicable). In addition to touchscreen control, the NW-WM1A offers hard-key push-buttons on the side of the Walkman - including Power, Volume, Play/Pause, Skip, & Hold.
- Playback Screen: You can control playback operations from the playback screen. You can also configure various settings for playback. Playback functions include Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, Repeat, Shuffle, Bookmark, and Playlist.
- Library Screen: You can select tracks from the library screen. Tracks are classified into various categories (such as Songs, Album, Artist, Genre, Composer, etc.).
- Lineup Screen: You can check the list of tracks that the Walkman will play with the current settings.
- Bookmark List: You can add your favorite tracks to bookmark lists. Up to 10 bookmark lists are available. Up to 999 tracks can be added to a bookmark list
Playlists: You can collect your favorite tracks and save them as playlists on the Walkman. Playlists can be saved either in the internal memory of the Walkman or on a microSD card (sold separately). You cannot add a track from the internal memory to a playlist on the microSD card or vice-versa. Up to 999 tracks can be added to a playlist.
SensMe Channels: The SensMe Channels function automatically groups tracks by theme. You can play tracks to suit your mood, current activity, the time of day, and more. To use the SensMe Channels function on the Walkman, tracks must be analyzed by Media Go before you transfer the tracks.
Lyric Information: If you transfer tracks with lyrics information, you can view the lyrics on the Walkman. There are two methods of inputting lyrics information - adding lyrics to a track using Media Go or creating lyrics in a text file (an LRC file). Both of the methods above must be performed on a computer. Add lyrics on the computer, and then transfer the tracks to the Walkman.
Sound Quality Settings: The Sony NW-WM1A offers a variety of sound quality settings to suit your type of music content and preferences.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the player's 10-band EQ and save 3 custom EQ presets.
- Dynamic Normalizer: You can moderate the change in volume between tracks to minimize differences in volume level.
- AVLS (Automatic Volume Limiter System): The AVLS (Automatic Volume Limiter System) function reduces the risk of damage to ears from loud volumes. Using AVLS limits the maximum volume. AVLS does not work while there is an active Bluetooth connection.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: With built-in Bluetooth 4.2 and support for A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) & AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile), you can stream your music files wirelessly from the Sony NW-WM1A Walkman to a Bluetooth-enabled speaker, headphone, receiver, or amplifier. You are able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track (if supported by speaker, headphone, receiver or amplifier). The NW-WM1A has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 32.8'.
- NFC: In addition to SSP (Simple Secure Pairing), the NW-WM1A offers NFC (Near-Field Communication) pairing. Bluetooth-enabled receivers, speakers, headphones and amplifiers that have the NFC function can be paired with the Walkman, by simply touching the back of the Walkman to the device's NFC logo. You can pair the Walkman with a maximum of 7 devices.
- LDAC: In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec, the NW-WM1A also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
USB Mass Storage mode: The Sony NW-WM1A can be set to USB Mass Storage mode so it can easily be recognized by your computer or laptop through the player's WM-Port and cable.
Rechargeable Battery: The NW-WM1A's built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery lets you enjoy up to 33 hours of highly compressed MP3 (128kbps) music playback or 26 hours of Hi-Res FLAC (192kHz/24-bit) music playback. Using its WM-Port and the included cable, you can charge the NW-WM1A by plugging it into a free USB (type-A) port on your computer or laptop. You can also charge it from a USB/AC power adapter (sold separately). A full charge takes approximately 7 hours.
|Content Type||Battery Playback Time|
|MP3 (128 kbps)||33 hours|
|AAC (256 kbps)||31 hours|
|FLAC (96 kHz/24-bit)||30 hours|
|FLAC (192 kHz/24-bit)||26 hours|
|DSD 2.8224 MHz/1-bit||15 hours|
|DSD 5.6448 MHz/1-bit||13 hours|
|Bluetooth (SBC)||17 hours|
|Bluetooth (LDAC)||15 hours|
Note: You can increase battery life by reducing the screen brightness, adjusting all sound quality settings to off, turning off Bluetooth & NFC, as well as shutting off noise cancellation.
Software Update: You can update the software of the Walkman through Media Go or the Sony eSupport site on your computer. Download the software update onto your computer, connect the Walkman to your computer via USB, and transfer the update to the Walkman.
3 questions already asked