About the Sony NW-ZX2 Walkman®
For serious music lovers
For serious music lovers
Finally: a portable music player worthy of your high-resolution digital music collection. You understand the value of high-resolution files, how all the detail they capture can make music come to life. The Sony NW-ZX2 Walkman features a high-resolution digital-to-analog converter for playing high-res files in their native resolution for exquisite detail and spacious, better-than-CD sound. (You can download high-res tunes from sites like HDtracks).
The 'ZX2BLK is compatible with high-res DSD files (up to 5.6MHz), PCM-based files (up to 24-bit/192kHz), Apple Lossless, and other formats. And if you've got lossy MP3s, Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine can help them sound fuller. Pair the 'ZX2 with a great set of headphones, and you might discover details in your favorite digital tunes you've not heard before.
Ample storage for high-res files
One thing about high-quality digital music, those great-sounding files can be HUGE. That's why the 'ZX2 comes with 128GB of built-in storage — enough for 2700 CD-resolution songs. Need more memory? The player's microSD card slot can accommodate up to a 128GB card. That gives you up to 256GB of storage, plenty for high-resolution files as well as CD-quality files and compressed formats like MP3.
Control buttons built into the side make operation simple.
Intuitive, elegant interface
The NW-ZX2 features a 4” full-color touchscreen interface. Just drag and drop to move files on and off the player. And no special software is required. If you're taking a long plane flight, don't worry – the player's built-in battery can deliver up to 60 hours of playback. Just slip the player into its handy leather travel case and board the plane.
Bluetooth® compatible for wireless listening
The NW-ZX2 is ideal for wireless listening. With Bluetooth built in it lets you stream music to your favorite Bluetooth speaker. You can also use Bluetooth headphones to really cut down on cables. This player offers high-quality aptX® playback as well LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming to compatible products.
Dual-band Wi-Fi® for more options
Connect to your home network through the NW-ZX2's built-in dual-band Wi-Fi. When you do, you'll appreciate the fact that the player comes with Google Android™. As you listen, you'll be able to access Google's suite of services, including Gmail, Google search, Google Plus, and the Google Play Store to download apps.
High-res audio on the roadInterested in using this high-res player in your car or truck? You'll want to check out Sony's impressive RSX-GS9 high-res digital media receiver, part of their High Resolution Audio System – a series of incredibly advanced speakers, amps, and subs optimized for high-res performance.
- plays MP3, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, WMA, DSD, and LPCM audio files
- plays high-resolution digital music files (PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz; DSD files up to 5.6MHz)
- microSD card slot accepts,microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC cards (available separately)
- 128GB internal flash memory, with up to 128GB additional storage (up to 256GB total memory)
- 4" color touchscreen display (854 x 480 pixels)
- Bluetooth-compatible with LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming
- built-in Google Android and dual-band Wi-Fi for connection
- for access to Gmail, Google search, Google Play Store and other Google services
- wirelessly access and share music on other DLNA devices
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) restores high-frequency signals to compressed digital formats like MP3 for more natural, expansive sound
- S-Master® HX amplification offers accurate, detailed playback of high-resolution music files
- drag-and-drop simplicity for easy transfer of files
- minijack headphone output (3.5mm)
- frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz
- high-speed USB 2.0 port
- rechargeable battery provides 33-60 hours of playback
- leather case
- USB 2.0-compliant cable included for file transfer and battery charging
- leather case
- 2-5/8"W x 5-1/4"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 8.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NWZX2BLK
What's in the box:
- Digital Media Player (black)
- Leather carrying case
- 42" USB connecting cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary WM-PORT plug on other end)
- Rubber spacer
- Quick Start Guide (English)
- Quick Start Guide (French)
- Limited Warranty sheet (US)
- Consumer Warranty sheet (Canada)
- Listen for a Lifetime booklet
Sony NW-ZX2 Walkman® reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony NW-ZX2 Walkman®
Overview: The Sony NW-ZX2 is a Hi-Res Walkman digital music player, capable of playing high-resolution audio files, video files, and photographs. It also has Bluetooth Audio Streaming with NFC technology. The unit features a 4" LCD screen, and an internal 128 GB flash memory. You can add even more memory by inserting a microSD card up to 128 GB, for a total memory capacity of 256 GB. The NW-ZX2 comes with a convenient leather carrying case that provides access to the bottom-mounted connections and the side-mounted control buttons.
Google Android: The ZX2 is based on the Google Android operating system, which allows you to download and install apps from Google Play, check email, keep a calendar, play games, view photos, watch movies, and much more.
Supported Audio Formats: The NW-ZX2 Hi-Res Walkman can support multiple digital audio formats, from CD-quality (16-bit/44kHz) through sound that is 6 times the resolution of CDs (24-bit/192kHz):
|MP3||32-320 kbps (incl. VBR) at 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|WMA||5-384 kbps (incl. VBR) at 8-48 kHz|
|FLAC||16/24-bit at 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz|
|L-PCM||16/24-bit at 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz|
|AAC||16-320 kbps (incl. VBR) at 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|HE-AAC||32-144 kbps at 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless)||16/24 bit at 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz|
|AIFF||16-24 bit at 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz|
|DSD||1-bit at 2.8244 or 5.6448 MHz|
Supported Video and Photo Formats: The unit can play videos as well as still photos in the following formats:
- AVCHD: 10 Mbps bit rate, 30 fps frame rate, 720 x 480 max
- MPEG4: 6 Mbps bit rate, 30 fps frame rate, 720 x 480 max
- WMV9: 6 Mbps bit rate, 30 fps frame rate, 720 x 480 max
- JPEG: Maximum image size: 6048 x 4032 pixels
- PNG: Maximum image size: 2048 x 2048 pixels
Build Quality: The NW-ZX2 features exceptional build quality with a heavy duty gold plated copper chassis, a solid aluminum body, and a 4" TFT touchscreen display (854 x 480 pixels) with white LED backlighting. The S-Master HX digital amplifier is optimized for high-resolution audio playback, delivering smooth, natural sound over a wide 20Hz-40kHz frequency range.
DSEE-HX: Sony has included their DSEE-HX "up-scaling" technology in the NW-ZX2. DSEE-HX uses an algorithm to analyze the music, and automatically replace the "lost" information. DSEE-HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) gives your highly-compressed MP3 and AAC music files new life so they sound almost as good as true Hi-Res Audio quality.
Dual Clock Circuits: For superior noise reduction and distortion-free playback, the NX-ZX2 has dual dedicated clock oscillators. With one circuit dedicated to 44.1kHz (44.1kHz, 88.2kHz, 176.4kHz, CD/DSD) and another for 48kHz (48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz), the unit can switch between the two circuits to reduce D/A conversion timing inaccuracies for better sound staging and clarity.
Memory: The NW-ZX2 has a 128 GB internal memory, which is enough for about 2700 high-resolution tracks (LPCM 1411 kbps @ 4 minutes per song). The unit's memory card slot will accept microSD cards up to 128 GB, giving you a total memory capacity of 256 GB.
Bluetooth/Wi-Fi: With built-in Bluetooth 3.0, you can stream your music files wirelessly from compatible devices up to 30 feet away. Devices that have the NFC (Near-Field Communication) function, can be automatically turned on, and paired with the Walkman, by simply touching the back of the Walkman to the device on the NFC logo. You can also wirelessly connect to your PC, Mac, or other compatible DLNA device via Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands) to stream music stored on your computer or from your favorite music streaming service.
Rechargeable Battery: The Walkman has a built-in, high-capacity Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (1880 mAh) for better sound quality and exceptional stamina. The unit has a 3-way LED battery life indicator (Green, Orange, Red). After a 4.5-hour full recharging time (via USB connection), the unit's estimated battery life is as follows:
- MP3 (128 kbps): approximately 60 hours
- Linear PCM (1411 kbps): approximately 61 hours
- FLAC (96 kHz/24-bit): approximately 43 hours
- FLAC (192 kHz/24-bit): approximately 33 hours
- DSD 2.8224 MHz/1-bit: approximately 22 hours
- DSD 5.6448 MHz/1-bit: approximately 16 hours
- MPEG-4 384 kbps: approximately 9 hours
Connections/System Requirements: On the bottom of the unit, there is a 3.5mm stereo headphone output and a 22-pin WM-PORT for connecting the unit to a computer using the supplied USB cable. The NW-ZX2 is compatible with the following operating systems: Windows XP (SP3 or later), Windows Vista (SP2 or later), Windows 7 (SP1 or later), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Mac OS X v10.6 - 10.12. You can use the WM-PORT to connect the unit to one of Sony's Headphone DAC/Amplifiers, such as the PHA-3.
7 questions already asked