About the Sony NW-ZX507 Walkman®
Exceptional sound for on-the-go listening
The Sony NW-ZX507 Walkman uses Android-supported Wi-Fi for wireless access to your online music streaming services.
Exceptional sound for on-the-go listening
The Sony NW-ZX507 Walkman® delivers precise, detailed sound from your high-res audio files and online streaming services. Its high-quality electronic components and optimized circuit board layout give you accurate, natural sound with minimal distortion.
A powerful digital-to-analog converter (DAC) renders high-resolution files in their native resolution for pristine, better-than-CD sound. And all from a portable player you can slip into your pocket.
The NW-ZX507 lets you wirelessly access the internet through Wi-Fi, using its built-in Android operating system. Stream music from popular services such as Spotify®, Pandora®, TIDAL, and Apple Music® (subscriptions required). And you can also download music from select sites like HDtracks directly to your player.
Support for high-resolution audio files
The NW-ZX507 is compatible with high-res PCM-based files (up to 32-bit/384kHz) such as FLAC, Apple Lossless, and WAV. The player is also MQA-compatible, for even more high-res listening options. And it features native DSD playback (up to 11.2MHz) to help retain all the authentic detail of the original recording.
Expandable memory for high-res files
The player comes with 64GB of built-in memory. If you want more storage, a microSD card slot lets you add optional cards.
High-res Bluetooth streaming
The player's Bluetooth is enhanced by Sony's LDAC technology. This allows the wireless signal to retain more musical detail with compatible Sony speakers and headphones. We recommend pairing this player with Sony's best Bluetooth headphones —the WH-1000XM3 wireless noise-cancelers — for a super-sounding portable listening rig.
Advanced design for high-performance audio
The milled aluminum casing shields the player's circuitry from electrical noise. The electronics are mounted on a milled copper block. This further reduces resistance and improves grounding for exceptionally clear sound. High-quality film capacitors ensure uniform frequency response for low distortion. Every part of this Walkman, right down to the choice of solder and resistors, adds to the quality of the sound.
- plays MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, AAC, APE, WMA, WAV, AIFF, and DSD audio files
- plays high-resolution digital music files (PCM files up to 32-bit/384kHz; DSD files up to 11.2MHz)
- supports native DSD playback
- rendering for MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files
- Android-supported Wi-Fi for streaming and directly downloading using popular music apps
- supported apps include Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, and Apple Music
- 64GB internal flash memory or expanded storage
- microSD card slot accepts,microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC cards (available separately)
- 3.6" color touchscreen display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- built-in Bluetooth supports Sony's LDAC Hi-fidelity streaming codec
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE HX) restores high-frequency signals to compressed digital formats like MP3 for more natural, expansive sound
- S-Master HX™ amplification offers accurate, detailed playback of high-resolution music files
- selectable audio effects, including a 10-band equalizer and Vinyl Processor
- Cassette Tape UI makes the LCD screen resemble an old-school cassette Walkman player
- NFC touch pairing with compatible devices
- standard 3.5mm minijack stereo headphone output (unbalanced)
- balanced 4.4mm output for compatible high-performance headphones
- high-speed USB Type-A to Type-C cable for charging and file transfer
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 20 hours of playback
- milled aluminum chassis
- 2-5/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 5/8"D
- weight: 32.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 13864832
What's in the box:
- Digital music player (silver)
- 21" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Startup Guide
- Instruction Manual
- Learning for a Lifetime sheet
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
Sony NW-ZX507 Walkman® reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony NW-ZX507 Walkman®
Overview: The Sony NW-ZX507 is a Walkman ZX-series digital music player, capable of playing high-resolution audio files up to 32-bit / 384kHz. The NW-ZX507 has Wi-Fi for direct downloads, and Bluetooth Audio Streaming. The device is equipped with two headphone outputs -- a 3.5mm mini jack for standard headphones, and a 4.4mm balanced output for high-end audiophile grade headphones. The unit features a 3.6" high-definition LCD screen, and an internal 64 GB flash memory. You can add even more memory by inserting up a microSD card.
Supported Audio Formats: The NW-ZX507 Hi-Res Walkman can support multiple digital audio formats:
|MP3 (.mp3)||32-320 kbps (incl. VBR) at 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz|
|WMA (.wma)||32-192 kbps (incl. VBR) at 44.1 kHz|
|FLAC (.flac)||16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|WAV (.wav)||16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp)||16-320 kbps at 8 kHz - 48 kHz|
|HE-AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp) ||32-144 kbps at 8 kHz - 48 kHz|
|Apple Lossless (.mp4, .m4a)||16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc)||16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit at 8 kHz - 384 kHz|
|DSD (.dsf, .dff)||1 bit at 2.8224, 5.6448, and 11.2896 MHz|
|APE (.ape)||8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit at 8 kHz - 192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High)|
Construction: The NW-ZX507 is precision-engineered and constructed with high-quality materials and components for superior sound quality. It has a rigid aluminum milled frame which shields the internal circuitry from electrical noise. The components are mounted to a copper milled block for lower resistance and improved electrical grounding. Internally, the NW-ZX507 uses newly developed FT CAP high polymer capacitors to support the power to the balanced output's amplifier, helping the unit to deliver powerful bass and wide expansive instrumentals and vocals. To minimize signal loss, the circuit board uses audio-grade, lead-free solder with a small amount of gold for optimal signal transfer.
Display: The digital audio player has a high-definition 3.6" TFT color display (1280 x 720 pixels) with touch screen controls. The unit even features a special Cassette Tape user interface to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Walkman portable.
Android Operating System: The user interface of the NW-ZX507 is supported by Android 9.0. You can set up a Google Account, or use an existing account, to use services provided by Google. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, you can purchase music content, including hi-res audio, from other online music services. The Home Screen has a "dock" for displaying shortcuts to up to 5 apps. Swiping up from the bottom of the screen displays the All Apps screen. The unit features the following pre-installed apps:
- Music Player: The Music Player app lets you play music content stored on the player, either transferred from your computer or purchased from online music services.
- Sound Adjustment: This app lets you adjust the sound coming from the headphone outputs. This app is particularly useful when playing music from apps other than Music Player.
- Google Play Store: You can use this app to purchase and/or download third party apps from the Google Play Store:
- Chrome: This app launches the Google Chrome internet browser to let you view websites.
Memory: The NW-ZX507 has a 64 GB built-in internal memory for storing your high-resolution music files. If more storage is needed, there is a slot for an optional microSD memory card. Based on an average of 4 minutes per song, the built-in memory can hold the following number of songs:
|NW-ZX507 (64 GB)|
MP3 (128 kbps)
|AAC (256 kbps)|| |
|FLAC (44.1 kHz/16-bit)|| |
|FLAC (96 kHz/24-bit)||360 songs|
|FLAC (192kHz/24-bit)||180 songs|
|DSD (2.8224 MHz/1-bit)||300 songs|
Note: The actual usable memory is approximately 48.64 GB. A portion of the memory is used for data management functions.
Bluetooth/NFC: With built-in Bluetooth 5.0, you can stream your music files wirelessly from compatible devices up to 30 feet away. Devices, such as a smartphone or Bluetooth headphones, that have the NFC (Near-Field Communication) function, can be automatically turned on, and paired with the player, by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the back of the player. The NW-ZX507 is equipped with LDAC, which uses the conventional Bluetooth connection, but transfers data at up to 999 kbps. That's three times the transfer rate of other audio profiles, which results in higher fidelity. In addition, the unit supports aptX and aptX HD.
Sound Quality Settings: You can adjust the sound quality with the following Sound Quality Settings:
- 10-band Equalizer/EQ Presets: You can adjust the sound at 10 individual EQ bands at 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 16kHz. The adjustment can be made from -10 to +10dB, and saved as Custom 1 or Custom 2 presets. Other EQ presets include: Bright, Excited, Mellow, Relaxed, Vocal, and Off.
- DSEE HX: DSEE HX uses an algorithm to analyze the music, and automatically replace the "lost" information. DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) gives your highly-compressed music files new life so they sound almost as good as true Hi-Res Audio quality. DSEE HX can be turned on or off, as desired.
- DC Phase Linearizer: This function makes low frequency phase characteristics more similar to a traditional analog amplifier. You can select Type A (low, standard, high) or Type B (low, standard, high).
- Dynamic Normalizer: The Dynamic Normalizer can moderate the change in volume between tracks to minimize the difference in volume level. It can be turned on/off , as desired.
- Vinyl Processor: The Vinyl Processor can add the character of vinyl recordings to your digital recordings with subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resonance, and surface noise.
- Direct Source: This setting lets you turn off the above sound adjustments and activate the Direct Source function. The current file's original sound quality is heard without any audio processing. The "Direct" toggle switch icon can be found on any of the above Sound Quality Setting pages.
Rechargeable Battery: The NW-ZX507 has a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery for exceptional stamina. After a 6.5-hour full recharging time (via USB power), the unit's estimated battery life is as follows:
|Music Format||Approximate Battery Life|
|Balanced Jack||Unbalanced Jack|
|MP3 128 kbps||19 hours||20 hours|
|AAC 256 kbps||19 hours||20 hours|
|WAV 44.1kHz/16-bit||19 hours||20 hours|
|FLAC 44.1kHz/16-bit||18 hours||20 hours|
|FLAC 96kHz/24-bit||17 hours||18 hours|
|FLAC 192kHz/24-bit||15 hours||16 hours|
|DSD 2.8224 MHz/1-bit||9 hours||10 hours|
|DSD 5.6448 MHz/1-bit||7.5 hours||8 hours|
|DSD 11.2896 MHz/1-bit||4 hours||6.5 hours|
|Bluetooth MP3 128 kbps||11 hours|
|Bluetooth FLAC 96kHz/24-bit||8.5 hours|
USB-C Port / System Requirements: The side-mounted USB-C port lets you connect the player to your computer for charging the battery, and transferring music content (using the included USB Type A to USB-C cable). Downloadable software is available for use with the NW-ZX507: Music Center for PC (Windows 7, 8.1, 10) or Android File Transfer for Mac (macOS 10.7 and higher).
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 40 kHz (3.5mm unbalanced or 4.4mm balanced jack)
- Maximum Power Output (16 ohms):
- 3.5mm unbalanced: 50mW + 50mW (High gain setting)
- 4.4mm balanced: 200mW + 200mW (High gain setting)
- Dimensions: Width 2.258", Height 4.825", Depth 0.585"
- Weight: 5.79 ounces