About the Sony XEL-1
The Sony XEL-1 is the world's first TV to use OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) screen technology. The ultra-thin 11" display panel is just 3 millimeters thick, yet delivers a stunning picture that's hard to take your eyes off of. Images display exceptional contrast, vivid colors, and effortlessly smooth motion. For small-screen applications like a desktop, countertop, or nightstand, the XEL-1 offers a dazzling glimpse of the future today.
OLED's self-illuminating technology doesn't require a backlight, so the screen's pixels can be completely turned off when reproducing black. Contrast ratio is an astonishing 1,000,000:1, providing outstanding dark scene detail. The pixels switch on and off instantly much faster than pixels in an LCD panel and this lightning-quick response time ensures smooth, natural-looking on-screen motion. OLED can also reproduce deep, saturated colors actually 105% of the broadcast TV color range.
Digital TV tuners and digital inputs
You'll find built-in tuners for your local digital and analog over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required). A "QAM" tuner lets cable TV subscribers watch unscrambled channels without a set-top box. Two HDMI inputs on the back of the pedestal base let you connect the latest high-def components, plus there's a Memory Stick® slot for viewing your digital photos.
How does OLED work?
At the core of an OLED panel are three separate layers of organic material to produce red, green, and blue light. These layers are sandwiched between two conductors (an anode and a cathode), which in turn are sandwiched between glass top and bottom plates. When an electric current is applied to the two conductors, the organic layers produce bright, electro-luminescent light.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
- 11" widescreen digital TV (11.3") 16:9 aspect ratio
- adjustable-tilt screen
- black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 960 x 540 pixels
- 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- 178°(H) x 178°(V) viewing angle
- Light Sensor automatic brightness adjustment
- built-in stereo speakers (1 watt x 2)
- remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 2 HDMI inputs (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- mini headphone/optical digital audio output (may require special adapter cable)
- DMex port for connecting optional add-on modules like the BRAVIA Internet Video Link
- Memory Stick® slot for digital photo/MP3 playback
- Energy Star® compliant
- 11-3/8"W x 10"H x 5-5/8"D
- weight: 4.2 lbs.
- panel life rated at 30,000 hours
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XEL1
What's in the box:
- 11" OLED (Orgainic Light Emitting Diode) TV
- AC-ED001 Power supply with attached 6' DC cord
- 5' AC cord
- RM-YD022 wireless remote control with installed CR2032 battery
- 8' Coaxial cable with F-type connectors on each end
- Cleaning cloth
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- US Limiter Warranty
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Online Product Registration Card
- "Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Use In This Television" note (English/Spanish/French)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XEL-1
Features & specs
|Screen Resolution (pixels)||960 x 540|
|Screen Refresh Rate||60 Hz|
|Quantum Dot Color||N/A|
|Video Processing Technology||N/A|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||---|
|Internet Movie Streaming||---|
|Bluetooth Audio Streaming||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Component Video Inputs||0|
|Composite Video Inputs||0|
|3.5mm Composite A/V Inputs||0|
|Optical Digital Audio Output||None|
|Analog Audio/Headphone Output||None|
|Control by app||No|
|Estimated Yearly Electricity Use (EnergyGuide)||Not Given|
|Estimated Yearly Energy Cost (EnergyGuide)||Not Given|
|Dimensions & Mounting Information|
|Height with Stand (inches)||10|
|Height without Stand (inches)||6-3/4|
|Depth with Stand (inches)||6-3/8|
|Depth without Stand (inches)||0-5/8|
|Stand Width (inches)||9-1/2|
|Weight with Stand||4.1875 lbs|
|Weight without Stand||Not available|
|Wall Bracket Included||No|
|Mounting Hole Pattern||0 x 0mm|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Series Name||Organic Panel|
OLED Overview: An organic light-emitting diode (OLED) display panel includes organic materials that emit light when an electric current is passed through them. The strength of luminescence is controlled by the amount of electric current. OLED technology offers fast response times, wide viewing angles, exceptional color reproduction, outstanding contrast levels, and high brightness. The nature of its technology lends itself to extremely thin and lightweight designs along with the ability to use it in a variety of different applications.
- What is OLED: OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. The "organic" in OLED refers to organic material. Carbon is the basis of all organic matter. The "LED" stands for "Light Emitting Diode" and describes the process of converting electric energy into light. There are two types of OLED: small molecule OLED and polymer OLED. Sony uses the small molecule type because it has a longer lifespan.
- How OLED Works: A layer of organic material is sandwiched between two conductors (an anode and a cathode), which in turn are sandwiched between a glass top plate (seal) and a glass bottom plate (substrate). When electric current is applied to the two conductors, a bright, electro-luminescent light is produced directly from the organic material
- How OLED Creates Color: OLED has more control over color expression because it only expresses pure colors when an electric current stimulates the relevant pixels. The OLED primary color matrix is arranged in red, green, and blue pixels, which are mounted directly to a printed circuit board. Each individual OLED element is housed in a special "micro-cavity" structure designed to greatly reduce ambient light interference that also works to improve overall color contrast. The thickness of the organic layer is adjusted to produce the strongest light for each of the colors - red, green and blue - used to render the color picture. The three colors are further refined by a color filter, which purifies each color without the need for a polarizer, rendering outstanding color purity.
Organic Panel: Sony's OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) TV, the XEL-1, boasts a 3 millimeter thin panel and offers unparalleled picture quality with amazing contrast, outstanding brightness, exceptional color reproduction, and a rapid response time. It delivers astounding performance in all the key picture quality categories. OLED technology can completely turn off pixels when reproducing black, resulting in more outstanding dark scene detail and a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1. OLED also creates unmatched color expression and detail and enables rapid response times for smooth and natural reproduction of fast moving images like those found in sports and action movies. The XEL-1 features the latest connectivity options including two HDMI inputs, a digital tuner, and a Memory Stick media slot for viewing high-resolution photos.
Slim Profile: This OLED TV is incredibly slim because organic material directly emits light so OLED display panels do not require a thick backlight or complex construction like other flat panel technologies. The Sony XEL-1's panel is an unbelievable 3mm thin (not including the stand).
Fast Response Time: Light from the OLED display panel is emitted instantly when electricity is supplied, resulting in very fast panel response time. When the television is turned "On," individual organic elements are stimulated directly by electric current, and therefore response time is incredibly fast.
High Brightness: The self-emitting nature of the OLED display panel allows for more efficient light output, recreating bright and vivid images. Because OLED elements individually emit light that are directly displayed on the screen, high brightness levels can be achieved.
1,000,000:1 Contrast: In addition to the bright and vivid images produced by the OLED display panel, black level is created by completely stopping light emission. This allows the panel to achieve a uniquely high level of contrast. When an organic pixel is turned "Off" the result is complete darkness. This results in deep blacks and an amazing contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1. Yes, that's a one million to one contrast ratio
Exceptional Color Reproduction: The OLED TV's display panel uses separate organic layers to produce red, green, and blue light, which are filtered to achieve greater color purity. As a result, each color is vividly and clearly reproduced. Sony's unique "Super Top Emission" technology, which combined with a special micro-cavity and color filters, enhances color purity, achieves extraordinary high color contrast. In fact, 105% of the NTSC color space can be achieved.
Wide Viewing Angles: OLED colors and contrast look amazing even at wide 178° viewing angles due to the direct view nature of the panel. Pixel colors look fantastic even at wide 178° viewing angles for an outstanding viewing experience.
Adjustable Viewing Angle: In addition to the television's 178° viewing angles, the TV features an adjustable pedestal base arm which allows you to tilt the television 55° forward and 15° backward.
Native Resolution: This television will display all video input signal in a resolution of 960 x 540. The television features two HDMI inputs that will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p video signals.
NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners: The TV is equipped with an analog NTSC tuner, a digital ATSC/8VSB tuner, and a digital QAM tuner for receiving unscrambled digital cable channels. It is not CableCARD compatible. You do not need to connect an external HDTV set-top box in order to receive High-Definition programming.
HDMI Control: The Control for HDMI function allows communication between this Sony television and other Sony equipment connected via HDMI. Only Sony equipment with Control for HDMI capability is supported. The XEL-1 supports the following HDMI Control features - TV Auto Power On, Device Auto Power Off, and Device List.
Memory Stick Compatible: The XEL-1 offers easy access to photos and music files stored on your Sony Memory Stick media through the TV's rear panel Memory Stick slot. The Memory Stick slot accommodates Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO Duo and Memory Stick Duo up to 8GB. The XEL-1 will playback JPEG photos and MP3 music files stored on your memory stick. The unit can display up to 1,000 thumbnails in the order they are filed on the Memory Stick media.
- JPEG Photo Files: The XEL-1 allows you to view your JPEG photos one at a time, in a thumbnail/list mode, and in a Slide-Show fashion. Still images can also be rotated 90-degrees left, 90-degrees right, and 180-degrees.
- MP3 Music Files: The XEL-1 allows you to play your music files in order they are recorded on the Memory Stick, in a Random order or in Repeat mode. You can also add your MP3 music to a Slide Show of your JPEG images.
DMex (Digital Module Extender) Ready: Sony's Digital Media Extender (DMex) ready televisions offer a digital connection path for the addition of optional Sony modules like the new BRAVIA Internet Video Link (DMX-NV1, sold separately). With innovative DMex expansion capabilities featuring the Emmy award winning XMB user interface, the XEL-1 is not merely a TV, but a powerful entertainment platform that not only meets your needs today, but expands easily to meet tomorrow's needs as well.
Image Retention Prevention: Due to the characteristics of the material used in an OLED screen for its high-precision image, permanent image retention may occur if still images are displayed in the same position on the screen continuously or repeatedly over extended periods. The XEL-1 incorporates the following features to prevent image retention from happening.
- Auto Brightness Control: Adjust the brightness of the image automatically when highly contrasting images are displayed on the screen of r along period of time.
- Screen Saver: If still or motionless images are displayed and no operation is performed (such as switching the channels or adjusting the volume control) for more than 5 minutes, the screen saver starts automatically. It protect the screen from image retention damage and reduces power consumption.
- Fader: If no operation is performed (such as switching the channels or adjusting the volume control) for more than 5 minutes, the screen faces to dark gradually.
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- 4:3 Default:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen
- Full: Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies)
- 16:9 Wide Mode:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion
- Normal: Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3
- Full: Displays the picture at its original size
- Zoom: Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally
- Auto Wide: Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Mode: The XEL-1 OLED TV features the following Picture Modes.
- Vivid: enhanced picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: for standard picture viewing
- Custom: allows you to store your preferred settings - Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and MPEG Noise Reduction
- Photo: available instead of Custom mode, when viewing photos
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Black Corrector: enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast
- Gamma: adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture
- Clear White: emphasizes white and light colors
- Live Color: makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones
- Color Space: select the range of color reproduction from Wide or Normal
Screen Settings: The Sony OLED TV offers the following screen adjustments.
- Screen Position: you can adjust both the vertical and horizontal positioning of the picture on the screen
- Vertical Size: adjust the vertical size of a standard-definition picture
- Display Area:
- Normal: displays the picture in its original size
- -1/-2: enlarges the picture to hide the edges of the picture
Light Sensor: In the menu, you can activate the automatic picture brightness control. A light sensor measures the amount of ambient light in the room and adjusts the picture brightness level accordingly.
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function optimizes the display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3-2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
Sound Settings: The Sound Settings menu allow you to make the following adjustments:
- Sound Mode: You can customize the bass and treble or
use one of the two preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: enhances both treble and bass
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Clear Voice: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Treble, Bass, Balance: You can individually set the treble, bass, and balance settings as desired.
- S-FORCE Front Surround: S-FORCE front surrounds provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. When turned off, the normal stereo or mono reception resumes.
- Sound Booster: Sound Booster provides a fuller sound with greater depth and width by emphasizing the high and low frequency sounds. You can select High or Low for the amount of boost you desire.
- Steady Sound: Steady Sound equalizes volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Caption Vision/Info Banner: This feature allows Closed Caption and/or channel programming information to be displayed on the TV screen. You can choose from CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, Text1, Text2, Text3 and Text4. Digital Channel's Closed Captions can be customized. You can select Text-type, Character-size, Character-style, Character-color, Character-opacity, Edge-type, Edge-color, Background-color and Background-opacity.
Wireless Remote Control: The XEL-1 comes supplied with a "TV Only" IR wireless remote control to operate the television. The television also features basic operational buttons on the unit's integrated pedestal base.
Label Channels: This feature allows you to assign labels such as station call letter to the channel numbers. You can use up to seven characters.
Favorite Channels: You can store up to 30 of your favorite channels on an on-screen Favorites List for quick and easy access.
Jump Function: This feature allows you to jump back and forth between two channels. The TV alternates between the current channel and the last channel that was selected.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Y. Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Channel Block: This feature allows you to block channels regardless of program ratings.
Timer: You can se the Television to automatically turn on at a particular time to a specific channel.
Sleep Timer: The TV can be set to turn off automatically after 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Energy Efficient: OLED technology delivers a more efficient means of utilizing light, which is generated by the organic material itself instead of an always on backlight; also, when elements are in their "OFF" state, they consume no power whatsoever.
Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. This also enhances the black level of the television. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
Dual HDMI Inputs: The television features 2 rear-panel HDMI port to provide uncompressed, all-digital audio/video signals between this TV and any HDMI-equipped audio/video equipment, such as a set-top box, DVD player, Blue-ray Disc Player as well as an A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced or high-definition video, plus digital audio. You can view 480i, 480p, 720p, 1070i and 1080p formats with and HDMI connection.
DMeX/Service Port: This USB port is for service only unless your are connecting the optional Bravia external module (DMeX).
Memory Stick Slot: The TV's Memory Stick slot accommodates Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO Duo and Memory Stick Duo up to 8GB. The XEL-1 will playback JPEG photos and MP3 music files stored on your memory stick.
RF Input: Threaded RF-type input for connecting to your Cable or Satellite box, or VHF/UHF antenna.
Digital/Headphone Out: 3.5mm output used to connect to your headphones or the optical audio input of your digital audio equipment that is PCM/Dolby Digital compatible. While a set of headphones are connected, the TV speakers are muted.