About the Sony PHA-1A
A portable high-res powerhouse
A portable high-res powerhouse
I once lost a whole afternoon listening to Sony's fantastic PHA-3 headphone amp/DAC — easily among the best I've ever heard. But let's be honest, it's a lot more amp than some people will want to invest in. Thankfully, Sony has an outstanding, more budget-friendly alternative for those of us who simply want way better sound from our smartphones, tablets, portable music players, and computers, along with the luxury of enjoying that sound wherever we go. Say hello to the sleek, compact PHA-1A.
Small enough to take almost anywhere, this beautifully made little amp connects between your music player's or computer's digital output and your headphones to deliver the serious punch and clarity your tunes deserve. And for high-res music lovers, the PHA-1A can even decode PCM digital audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, so you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality. Its rechargeable battery supplies the power you need to pump out bigger, bolder sound for up to six hours at a stretch. Your favorite headphones will jump to attention, surprising you with greater bass impact, musical detail, and forceful dynamics.
Versatile connectivity and sturdy construction
Sony's sleek and portable PHA-1A headphone amp/DAC delivers powerful sound for high-quality listening on the go.
The PHA-1A works with a wide array of devices. Its three separate USB ports give you a direct digital connection for your iPod®/iPhone®/iPad®, Hi-Res Walkman®, a PC or Mac®, plus a charging port. This allows the Sony to bypass the DAC in your player or computer, and decode your tunes with superior audiophile-quality precision.
Built like a Swiss watch, this Sony's rugged aluminum enclosure protects the precision circuitry inside from outside interference and impacts. The recessed volume knob reduces the chance of accidental level changes during playback. Plus, a built-in gain switch around back makes it easier to match the amp's output to a wide variety of headphones — from highly sensitive in-ear monitors to big, high-impedance power hogs.
- battery-powered portable headphone amplifier with built-in USB DAC
- decodes PCM digital audio sources up to 24-bit/192kHz
- gain select switch provides compatibility for a wide range of headphones and earphones
- three USB ports:
- micro type-B input for charging (adapter cable included)
- micro type-B input for computer, Sony Walkman™, and Xperia™ smartphone or tablet connections (adapter cables included)
- standard type-A input for iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® devices (these devices must use their own respective cables, not included)
- Windows and Mac computers supported (free software downloads from Sony's website for playback)
- built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery provides up to 6 hours of playback
- sleek and durable aluminum body
- recommended headphone impedance: 8-600 ohms
- frequency range: 10-100,000 Hz
- 2-7/16"W x 4-7/16"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 5.11 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PHA1A
What's in the box:
- PHA-1A portable DAC/headphone amplifier
- 2 Silicone rubber mounting bands
- Protective silicone rubber sheet (1-5/8" x 3-1/2")
- 59" Micro USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- 8.5" Digital cable for Xperia (Micro USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- 5.25" Digital cable for Walkman (Micro USB on one end and proprietary WM-Port connector on other end)
- Startup Guide
- Reference Guide
- Listening for a Lifetime booklet
- Limited Warranty (US)
- Sony Consumer 1 Year Warranty (Canada)
More details on the Sony PHA-1A
Overview: The Sony PHA-1A is a battery-powered portable DAC (digital-to-analog converter) and headphone amplifier that lets you listen to high-resolution audio up to 192kHz/24-bit through your headphones. You can connect a PC, an iPod/iPhone/iPad, or a high-res capable Walkman or Xperia to the unit using one of the two USB inputs.
Aluminum Construction: The PHA-1A features a compact aluminum enclosure to protect the inside circuitry and components.
Connections: The PHA-1A has two USB digital inputs: a Type A USB port for connecting an iPod/iPad/iPhone (with the device's cable), and a Micro-B USB for connecting a PC. An extra pin beside the Micro-B USB accommodates the supplied cables for connecting a High-Res supported Sony Walkman or Xperia. Another Micro-B USB, labeled "DC In 5V", is provided for charging the built-in battery using the supplied cable. The front panel features a stereo 3.5mm headphone output that supports impedances from 8 to 600 Ohms. The output is compatible only with 3-pole stereo miniplugs. For this reason, in-line and on-board headphone remote controls will not work.
Controls: The front-mounted large power/volume control knob with plenty of headroom to let you set the volume just where you want it. A 2-position gain switch (normal/high) on the side lets you match the headphone amp to various headphone impedances.
Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery: The PHA-1A is powered by a built-in 3.7-volt Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. Battery life is approximately 6 hours (operating at 1 mW+1 mW output). The battery charges in approximately 6 hours via USB when connected to a PC. With the optional AC-UD10 USB AC adapter, charging time is only 2 hours.
Compatible Devices: The Sony PHA-1A is compatible with a wide variety of devices (click here for the latest list). With two USB inputs, it can connect to most computers, iPhone/iPod/iPad, and select Sony portable digital audio devices:
- Computer: The unit can play digital audio files stored on your computer. The unit includes a Micro USB cable for connecting it to your computer's USB Type A port. The PHA-1A is compatible with the following Operating Systems: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later. Note: For Windows PCs, you must first install the driver software "Sony Portable Headphone Amplifier USB Audio 2.0 Driver" before connecting the PHA-1A. Playing high-resolution audio files on your computer may require you to download and install "Hi-Res Audio Player" software to your computer.
- iOS Devices: The PHA-1A is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
The Type A USB input is provided for connecting the i-device using the USB cable
provided with the device. The digital audio data from the device is transferred
directly to the DAC, and bypasses the device's internal DAC. On most iOS
devices, the maximum resolution played through the PHA-1A is 96kHz/24-bit
PCM. Compatible models
- iPhone: 6Plus, 6, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, iPhone
- iPad: Air 2, mini 3, Air, mini 2, mini, 4th gen, 3rd gen, iPad 2, iPad
- touch: 1st through 5th generation
- classic: 120GB, 160GB (2009)
- nano: 2nd through 7th generation
- Sony Devices: Special digital cables are supplied for
connecting the PHA-1A and the following Hi-res Walkman and Xperia devices:
- Sony Walkman: NWZ-A15/A17, NWZ-F884/F885/F886/F887, NWZ-ZX2/ZX1
- Sony Xperia Tablets: Xperia Z2 tablet, Xperia Z3 tablet compact
- Sony Mobile Phones: Xperia A2, E3, M, M2, T2 Ultra, T3, Z Ultra, Z1, Z1 Compact, Z2, Z3, Z3 Compact
Silicone Belts: The PHA-1A is designed to allow you to conveniently attach your portable device to the top. Two silicone rubber bands are provided to strap your portable to the headphone amplifier, and a silicone rubber pad helps to prevent scratches.
- Frequency Range: 10 Hz - 100 kHz
- Distortion: 0.01% or less (1 kHz)
- Supported Impedance: 8Ω - 600Ω
- Maximum Input: 1 Vrms (Audio in)
- Maximum Output (with built-in battery):
- 148 mW + 148 mW (8Ω, 10% distortion)
- 80 mW + 80 mW (32Ω, 1% distortion)
- 16.4 mW + 16.4 mW (300Ω, 10% distortion)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked