About the Sony PS-HX500
The PS-HX500 can turn your vinyl records into high-res digital music files.
Spinning a new record on an excellent turntable like the Sony PS-HX500 is a true delight. But it's also great to take that music with you everywhere. Instead of settling for low-res MP3 downloads, rip your LPs to high-resolution DSD or PCM music files with the 'HX500. Connect it to your computer via the turntable's USB output, and you can preserve the warmth and detail of your vinyl using Sony's free Hi-Res Audio Recorder computer software. Then use one of Sony's Hi-Res Walkman players for on-the-go hi-res music playback.
Everything you need to enjoy your vinyl collection
Of course, capturing the best sounding digital music files starts with high-quality vinyl playback. The PS-HX500 uses a heavy MDF base designed to resist external vibration for quieter operation. The turntable's die-cast aluminum platter is covered by a heavy, high-quality rubber mat to minimize unwanted resonance. The platter is driven by a tried-and-true belt-drive system that further isolates motor vibration and prevents noise from being transmitted through to your amp and speakers. The built-in, defeatable phono preamp allows you to connect it directly to almost any audio system, even one without a turntable input.
Enjoy the rich sound of vinyl without the hassle
Sony knows that turntable setup can be a challenge for the novice. That's why the PS-HX500 comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, and give you optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few simple steps to dial in key settings like tracking force and anti-skating are all it takes to get this 'table primed and ready to go.
- built-in phono preamp with line-level audio and USB output (Windows® and Mac® compatible)
- free Hi-Res Audio Recorder software download from Sony website included
- software supports recording 2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz DSD (DSF) file formats, and 16-bit/24-bit PCM (WAV) files at 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, or 192 kHz sampling frequencies
- Hi-Res Audio Recorder software is a recording application only, and not capable of playback. A high-resolution audio player or playback software installed on your computer is required for music playback.
- RCA analog output is switchable (LINE/PHONO) for use with external phono preamps
- aluminum die-cast platter with heavy rubber mat to protect records from scratches
- includes pre-mounted moving magnet cartridge
- heavy MDF base minimizes unwanted resonance for better sound
- fully manual operation
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds with electronic speed change control
- rotation speed variation: ±1.5%
- wow and flutter: less than 0.25%
- signal-to-noise ratio: more than 50 dB (with supplied cartridge)
- USB type B output (cable included)
- RCA audio output jacks
- included external power supply reduces likelihood of electro-mechanical interference
- 16-7/8"W x 4-1/8"H (with dust cover down) x 14-3/8"D
- weight: 11.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PSHX500
What's in the box:
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- Tonearm (w/ catridge/stylus)
- Platter (w/ drive belt)
- Rubber mat
- Dust cover
- 45 RPM adapter
- 6.5' USB-B to USB-A cable
- 5 Stereo RCA cable
- Operating Instructions
- US Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
Sony PS-HX500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony PS-HX500
USB Turntable: The Sony PS-HX500 is a stereo turntable designed for analog playback of vinyl records. By connecting a computer to the turntable via USB, you can use the Hi-Res Audio Recorder application, exclusively designed for this turntable, to record audio tracks of your vinyl record as high resolution audio in DSD or WAV. This is a great way to backup your precious vinyl collection
High-Quality A/D Converter: The Sony PS-HX500 turntable is equipped with a high-quality A/D converter which supports analog-to-digital conversion of up to DSD (Direct Stream Digital) 5.6 MHz or WAV (PCM) 192 kHz/24 bit.
- DSD (Direct Stream Digital): The internal A/D converter supports native conversion from analog to DSD 2.8 MHz or 5.6 MHz digital. The DSD audio file format reproduces the subtlest nuances of sound, including the ambience of the performance. This purity makes it an ideal way to capture and play back the warm expression of vinyl. Unlike the conventional PCM format, a 1-bit DSD audio stream more closely represents the nature of an analog audio waveform. The result is all the advantages of digital audio, including a frequency response in excess of 100 kHz, and ample dynamic range, but with the natural sound of an analog recording.
- WAV (PCM): In addition to DSD-recorded DSF files, recording and playback of PCM-recorded WAV files is also supported at 16-bit or 24-bit and 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz, or 192kHz.
USB-B 2.0 Digital Output: The Sony PS-HX500 is fitted with a USB-B 2.0 digital output to connect the turntable to your computer or laptop, so you can rip your favorite vinyl tracks to your computer.
Note: The USB output can only be used for recording, not for playback.
Hi-Res Audio Recorder Application: The Hi-Res Audio Recorder application is a recording application exclusively designed for this turntable; you will need to down the software application from the Sony eSupport website onto your computer. You can connect your turntable and a computer with the supplied USB cable and use the Hi-Res Audio Recorder application to record audio tracks of a vinyl record onto your Windows or Mac computer. The application lets you rip, edit, and store tracks from your vinyl records onto your computer. Your Windows or Mac computer must meet the following system requirements in order to use the Hi-Res Audio Recorder application.
|7 (32/64-bit), 8
(32/64-bit), 8.1 (32/64-bit), 10 (32/64-bit) |
|*The latest service pack is required for all compatible Windows operating systems.
|OS X 10.9, OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11|
|CPU||Intel Core2 Processor 1.6 GHz or higher||N/A|
|Memory||1 GB or larger||N/A|
|Screen Resolution||1024 x 768 or higher|
Note: The Hi-Res Audio Recorder application is merely a recording application; it is not capable of playback. You can play recorded high resolution audio sources either by transferring the recorded high resolution audio sources to a compatible audio device or by using computer software that supports high resolution audio playback. You cannot import any exported files into Hi-Res Audio Recorder for re-editing.Balance & Stability: The turntable uses the latest techniques to deliver extremely stable & balanced rotation for optimal and natural delivery of your music.
- Integrated Shell Type Straight Tonearm: The tonearm's integrated shell design improves durability and stabilizes the cartridge to deliver superior focusing and dimensionality of sound. The shell's lightweight structure helps to optimize the lowest resonance frequency and improve traceability of low frequencies, while its rounded shape helps deliver pure sound untainted by sound characterization. The straight tonearm precisely balances the stylus, with no arm torque to affect stereo balance, and its slackless lateral bearing structure minimizes wow and flutter distortion.
- Highly Stable Belt Drive System (Two-Speed): The optimized spindle-bearing constructions stabilizes the belt drive to achieve natural sound reproduction. This two-speed turntable operates at 33-1/3 and 45 rpm so you can enjoy LP albums and EP singles.
- Aluminum Die-Cast Platter w/ 0.2" Rubber Mat: The high-inertia aluminum die-cast platter offers superb balance between strength and mass. The included 0.2" rubber mat offers excellent adherence to the record's surface minimizes unnecessary resonance for clean sound.
- Acoustic-Grade MDF Cabinet w/ Insulated Feet: The acoustic-grade MDF cabinet offers high density thanks to its 1.18-inch thickness. The result is exceptional sonic characteristics and accurate soundstage reproduction. In addition to insulation to prevent unwanted resonance, uniquely shaped rubber dampers eliminate vibration from racks and other peripheral objects
- Precision-Shaped Dust Cover & Glass Epoxy Circuit Board: The dust cover shape has been designed exclusively for minimal vibration. Excellent audio quality even when played with the cover on. The use of glass epoxy resin material for the circuit board helps to provide better sound quality and stability.
Built-in Phono EQ: The Sony PS-HX500 turntable supports both phono and line output so you can play your vinyl music through and integrated amp or AV receiver.
Stereo RCA Jacks: The Sony PS-HX500 turntable is fitted with female stereo RCA jacks and a ground terminal.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked