About the Sony RCR-VH1
Robust controls and mission planning
Robust controls and mission planning
This remote controller can mount tablets or mobile devices with screens up to seven inches. Pilots can then control the drone and connected payload with the Airpeak Flight mobile app. In concert with the secure Airpeak Base web app, you can plot out preset flight routes and launch them whenever you're ready with Mission Flight mode. These routes let you provide detailed instructions down to camera settings and positioning. You can then review prior flight logs, adjust your routes, and re-run them at will with Repeat Flight.
Two heads are often better than one. You can gain even more control of the Airpeak S1 on a mission with a teammate. Dual Operation Mode lets one person pilot the drone using the FPV camera while another controls an attached gimbal and camera kit. This mode requires two remote controllers (one comes packaged with the drone), but getting started is easy. Whenever two controllers are connected they are auto-assigned to the pilot and camera operator.
- replacement/secondary remote controller for Sony Airpeak S1 quadcopter
- mounts smartphones and tablets with up to 7" screens
- customizable button configuration
- HDMI port lets you connect an external screen to the controller
- comfortable, ergonomic grip
- can be fitted with an optional harness for long shoots (sold separately)
- Airpeak Flight mobile app lets you control, monitor, and manage the drone as well as the connected gimbal and camera
- make setting adjustments mid-flight with connected Sony Alpha full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Airpeak Base web app helps you organize projects and manage your equipment from a secure account
- plan a flight route with detailed control over speed, positioning, and camera movements
- download flight logs to review previous missions and use that data to plan future routes
- supports straight and curved flight paths
- diverse range of manual and automatic flight modes:
- Standard Mode is turned on by default and utilizes all sensors for safe, stable flight
- Velocity Mode improves hovering and maneuvering for accurate flight path recreation
- Mission Flight lets you execute preset flight paths and Repeat Flight retraces the path of a previous mission
- Dual Operation Mode lets you and a partner control the drone and gimbal/camera independently
- pilot controls the drone via a FPV camera on the nose of the aircraft
- camera operator controls the camera and gimbal to capture footage
- requires two remote controllers
- 8-1/2"W x 6-5/16"H x 2-1/2"D
- weight: 2.36 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RCRVH1
What's in the box:
- Remote controller (with mobile device holder)
- AC power adapter (attached 39" DC cord)
- 59" AC power cable
- Operating Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony RCR-VH1
Sony Airpeak S1 Remote Controller: The Sony Airpeak S1 Remote Controller (RCR-VH1) is a direct replacement or second remote controller for Sony's Airpeak S1 aerial drone. The RCR-VH1 remote controller operates the Sony Airpeak S1 aircraft, optional Gremsy Gimbal T3, and optional mounted Sony Alpha Series full-size mirrorless camera (all sold separately) while providing real-time image output in combination with Sony's Airpeak Flight mobile app and your compatible Apple iPhone or iPad device (running iOS 14.0+). Developed with professionals in mind, the RCR-VH1 remote controller combines superior functionality with a comfortable design. It is also designed to fit comfortably in the hand. The grip is shaped for secure handling, and the control stick is based on a design by the Futaba Corporation, popular with drone pilots.
1.2 Mile Wireless Transmission: The Sony RCR-VH1 remote controller utilizes 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual-band RF transmission to wirelessly communicate with the Sony Airpeak S1 aerial drone, up to 1.2 miles. By default, the controller will automatically select the optimum channel with the least interference for optimal flight control. You can also select the desired channel manually within Airpeak Flight mobile app. In addition, you can the check the "Received Signal Level" (dBm) for each channel on the congestion status graph of the Airpeak Flight app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the Airpeak Flight mobile app on your compatible Apple iPhone or iPad device to wirelessly link the RCR-VH1 controller to the Airpeak S1 drone. This wireless link only needs to be set up the first time.
- When using the remote controller to fly the AirPeak S1 drone, make sure to turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth functions of the mounted mobile device to reduce interference.
Dual Operation Mode: Dual Operation Mode allows for independent control of the Sony Airpeak S1 drone and the installed Gremsy Gimbal T3, as well as the mounted Sony Alpha Series full-size mirrorless camera. One RCR-VH1 controller operates the AirPeak S1 drone, while the other RCR-VH1 controller operates the gimbal and mounted camera. The Dual Operation Mode allows two operators to control the aircraft and gimbal/camera separately, allowing for more precision control in complex shooting conditions. By placing the FPV camera on the nose of the aircraft, the pilot can control FPV tilt and check the flight direction and angle, while the camera operator continues capturing images. In addition, when two operators are using the remote controllers, the control stick and buttons will automatically be assigned to the pilot and camera operator accordingly.
Mobile Device Holder: The Sony Airpeak S1 Remote Controller (RCR-VH1) is equipped with a mobile device holder that will accommodate Apple iPhone and iPad devices (up to 7" tall in landscape mode). Make sure to carefully secure the compatible mobile device to the holder, so it does not fall off. Your Apple iPhone or iPad device will also need to be plugged into the controller's USB-A port using the cable that came with your Apple device or other Apple Certified cable (sold separately).
- Compatible iPhones include the iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7.
- Compatible iPads include the iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation), iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad mini (5th generation), iPad (8th generation), iPad (7th generation), iPad (6th generation).
Note: Currently the Sony RCR-VH1 controller does not support connection of an Android OS device.
Airpeak Flight App (for Apple iOS): The Airpeak Flight mobile app enables comprehensive monitoring and management of the aircraft, remote controller, camera, and gimbal from your compatible Apple iPhone or iPad running iOS 14.0+ (see list above). From checking flight distance and battery usage, to adjusting camera settings, the AirPeak Flight app is designed to optimize your flight experience. The app is also fully compatible with Alpha full-frame mirrorless cameras , allowing for camera adjustments during flight. The Airpeak Flight mobile app can be used both with manual and automated flight modes. During the Mission Flight mode, the app can be used to confirm the route, execute the mission, check the status of the aircraft, and monitor the equipment.
- Flight Screen: Images captured by the FPV camera or optional Sony Alpha Series full-frame mirrorless camera can be projected on screen in real-time. Flight distance, battery levels, and other aircraft and camera parameters are also displayed. Quick controls and adjustment on aircraft and settings can easily be done from the Flight Screen
- Settings: Settings of the aircraft, gimbal, camera, and remote controller can all be adjusted from the Airpeak Flight app. You can also freely assign flight control and camera settings on control stick and buttons on the remote controller, for flexible flight operation and shooting.
- Automated Flights: The flight route created on Airpeak Base can easily be executed with Airpeak Flight app. Even during the automated flight modes, you can control the gimbal and camera while checking the image of the FPV camera or optional Sony Alpha Series full-frame mirrorless camera.
- Currently the Sony AirPeak Flight app is not compatible with Android OS devices.
- Some Sony Alpha Series full-frame mirrorless cameras may not be compatible with all the app features.
- The Airpeak Flight App may use cellular data communication and incur usage charges according to the data plan provided by your carrier.
Customizable Buttons: The Sony RCR-VH1 remote controller has 4 customizable buttons, plus the aircraft, camera, and gimbal buttons that can be changed according to your application and requirements. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the control sticks on the remote controller near the central position.
HDMI Out: The Sony RCR-VH1 remote controller is outfitted with a full-size HDMI port for connecting an external monitor for video and live-view playback
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony Airpeak S1 Remote Controller (RCR-VH1) is equipped with a built-in, rechargeable LiPO battery (5100mAH) that provides up to 6 hours of control use. The included AC power adapter plugs into the remote controller and and AC wall outlet to fully charge the battery in about 3 hours. The remote controller features 4 LEDS that allow you to monitor the battery level and status. If you do not operate the remote controller for approximately 5 minutes while it is turned on, an alarm will go off. After another minute, the remote controller will automatically go into a Standby state. You can stop the alarm by performing an operation such as moving the control stick, pressing a button, etc.